DI-toy2 (resized).jpg
IMG_3777 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20170717-081114 (resized).jpg
0-9xvLTTK5EFEBnGG5 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20170716-214452 (resized).jpg
IMG_3902 (resized).JPG
IMG_3897 (resized).JPG
IMG_0422 (resized).PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider skyemont.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

SW pro....deeper code with more strategy, faster, cheaper by alot, classic theme. no brainer for me
Also wont lose a grand or more if i try to sell like DI will in few months

Based on your collection that explains your answer.

#42 6 years ago

Here is my 2 cents. If money is an issue, SW pro all day. No brainer. If money is not an issue, DI (any model) is far better than SW. Good luck on your decision.

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Money isn't issue and I'm buying SW pro so please explain, what am I doing wrong?

Nothing wrong. Isn't my money. I'm just saying the value is there with DI and not with SW. Just my thoughts.

Quoted from Whysnow:

you are not doing anything wrong. Different strokes for differnet folks.
Actually on second thought... if money is not an issue then you are doing something wrong. Buy them both dummy

Exactly. Get a SW pro and a DI standard.

#54 6 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

Then you noticed i owned both WOZ and Hobbit before? DI just does NOTHING for me! Ive played it and felt good shot wise but thats it for me. Id rather own a SW pro then any JJP game they have made yet.

Fair enough.

#56 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I don't think ur allowed to state that view, you could be accused of trying to justify ur purchase or that ur a JJP hater, be careful and remember the value is with DI, oh and build quality. just wait and see the responses I get for this comment, but I love it.

I hate you.

#74 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

The bigger concern to me is that DI is blowing SW up in the polls. Yeah, SW will outsell di, but gameplay wise, I never thought I'd see people favor any game over SW, especially a "cell phone" game. To me, this shows something lacking in the new stern. Not sure what alternate universe we live in anymore. SW was supposed to be the biggest stern release ever in my book, and it's really had mixed reviews.

Totally agree.

#75 6 years ago

SW << DI

#127 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Who cares its a super loaded fun original themed pinball and is a breath of fresh air from all the licenced stuff imo. Most who like b/w original themed pins will love di as its a modernized version of those(which many are top pins ).

Totally agree 100%. Let them say what they want about DI, it's a great game, period!!!

#128 6 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Its sad how stripped down Stern's LE's are now.....Not worth buying

Figures. That's STERN!!!!

#152 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

First off, as i've said many times, THEME MATTERS. That's why SW will stay relevant for a long, long time.
When the JJP defenders that can only see it ONE way shout out the better "value" comparison, they give little to no "value" to theme, X factor immersion fun (think the Williams SW music score playing) and the other Intangibles that go into a pinball machine like future resale value, a biggie.
The difference of opinion really does revolve around theme though, JJP defenders would buy a Muppets pin or ANY theme just because they think it has more BOM. As the other intangibles hit home, like resale value, that thinking will start to change in the future.
Like Hooked said, JJP should have watched and listened when people got up and walked out at Expo on the reveal of DI. He listened the Expo before with the horrendous TH artwork.
Most people on here would buy ANY pin they liked, whether its from Stern, JJP, Spooky etc. based on the THEME and other INTANGIBLES.
How do you put a value on what is the X FACTOR FUN FACTOR to each individual? What' the BOM on hearing the SW score and seeing video clips, rules integration and IMMERSION on one of the most iconic film series ever?
X factor immersion matters a lot, a huge part of the BOM for me and most people that buy pinball machines.
When and IF JJP makes another pin I want that has what i think is the X factor immersion and theme, then I'm all over it.

You make me laugh. Thank you.

#173 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Your welcome #1 JJP club fan man
Back up 7 yrs ago. Whatever level of fandom you take JJP love to, ratchet it up to x 10, that's where I was with Woz. Go back and read some of those love fest threads
I guess that's really all you can do is smile since you know I'm right and make great unbiased arguments

You're a Legend in your own mind.

#183 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Playing SW and DI at Pintastic taught me one valuable lesson: packing a playfield with toys doesn't necessarily make a game more fun.

Unless it's Dialed In.

#201 6 years ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

If stern wanted to they could have CRUSHED dialed in but they chose to save money and rely on great code and theme.

I don't agree with this statement. They did the best they could with Star Wars period. Now if JJP had the rights to have done Star Wars, holy shit. I would be owning it right now.

#203 6 years ago
Quoted from Spankey:

I don’t think Stern did the best they could. I think they did what they could within their mindset and budget sheet. Rarely do they view their games as anything but a product to put out quickly and hope to make some money. It’s not about what they can do with a theme but what theme will move the most games. There will always be an unexpected gem from Stern but that always seems like more a matter of luck than planning.

That's my point. Based on there business model, budget, how quickly they can make quick cash with nothing on the playfield. That's the best they can do. Gary is not going to load a game like WOZ or DI. Not going to happen.

#216 6 years ago
Quoted from mountaingamer:

Took the family to a distributor the other day to see Starwars. My wife's comment was "well it's definitely not as nice as WOZ", and my daughter said it was easy. I said how about we sell Woz and buy starwars - both gave me a look, my daughter said "I thought you don't like the cheap ones".... and wifeypoo says "really??? I thought were getting Dialed In, your not serious are you?"
Deposits already in on DI, this was just confirming what I already knew.

Love this!! Your family is wise!!!! You have taught them well.

#234 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Why? Sounds like you really don't like SW Pro, so why waste your time worrying about the Premium which as you say will be mostly the same game? Plenty of other stuff out there to spend your cash on.

Good point. I always say, play the Pinball before u buy it. Just my rule.

#248 6 years ago
Quoted from SimonBaird:

Put this poll to operators and Star Wars pro would win hands down. Based on theme alone I would say Star Wars would out earns dialled in by at least a third, I've irked off 0 fully paid plays per day for Star Wars and 15 fully paid plays for dialled ins. I have worked off a 50% share with the location owner. Even if both games depreciated at the same rate I.e lost 30% of their value after two years. Allowing for a site doing 20 games a day at $1 per game you would be almost $3000 better off with a Star Wars pro. That's not taking into account the repairs and maintenance , which one would have to presume would be far less on Star Wars based on the complexity of the machine.
So as a business which would you choose a $5500 investment that would net you $5800 in profit or an $8000 investment that would net you $3500. Even if dialled in generated the same number of plays as Star Wars you would be down $500 compared to a SW pro. Anyone that says dialled in is go to out earn Star Wars on route is kidding themselves. Anyone that says dialled in is going to have lower maintence then SW over two years on route is kidding themselves. In reality a belive you would probably double your overall earnings going with a SW pro then dialled in standard edition as an operator.
Now why is any of this important. If you are a true fan of pinball then you should pray and hope that sited pinball is still a viable option today. Yes we know that the home collector is becoming a much bigger share of the market. However if you think Stern could survive solely by selling to the home collectors and maintain their current pricing you crazy. Operators still account for at least 50% of Sterns business world wide. Pros are still Sterns biggest sellers for any machine world wide. Loose operators you loose Stern loose Stern you loose pinball manufacturing period. The hobby is not going to be sustained by JJP alone and all the other try hards that have added nothing to our hobby expect pain and frustration (spooky aside).
We should all be praising Sterns ability to deliver a great table to the masses with a killer theme at a price point that makes it a financially viable investment for operators I.e Star Wars pro. It might not be the machine you are looking for but it is the machine pinball needs to survive and flourish into the future.
This poll should be renamed if you want to see pinball in 2020 which machine would you choose.
I have a nice collection at home and feel privilege to have the games I own. However I strongly belive pinball belongs to everyone and will continue to support operators and location pinball as the mainstay of our hobby. Yes JJP could of done an amazing job with the Star Wars licence but you know what at $8k and $9k minimum purchase price they would of only produce a third or less of what Stern will with Star Wars at a $5.5k entry point. Think about that before you cast your vote

If you are going to route the game, yes 100% SW. Nothing on the playfield to fix and that justifies the price. But, for me I want one of the two games in my collection. With that being said it's a easy decision. DIALED IN!!!

#276 6 years ago

You get what u pay for. That's all I got to say about that.

Screenshot_20170716-214452 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20170716-214452 (resized).jpg

#281 6 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

While we're on the Forrest Gump topic; I'd like to afford pinball, comfortable shoes, and an occasional box of chocolates. I'll just continue to be as "stupid as stupid does".

Actually it's "stupid is as stupid does".

Screenshot_20170717-081114 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20170717-081114 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#285 6 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

Last Friday I got to spend quality time with both machines. I'm buying a NIB this year and I'm trying to narrow it down to DI, SW, Houdini or TNA.
Star Wars was fast and fun. The integration with the theme is lacking though. It feels like a mess of ideas. Some of this will hopefully get addressed in code as the game matures but as an owner of a KISS Pro, I'm not confident that this machine is going to get anymore love than KISS. The skill shot is really odd and feels very floating and no skill - just luck. I just felt that every thing on the playfield was lit up all the time. I guess you just shoot for everything. So in between games on Star Wars I played AS Premium that was sitting next to it. WAY MORE FUN. The toys were better, the shots more satisfying, the theme integration was great. It just felt good. The animations on the LCD are 1990s quality - like clipart (sprites) following a path on the screen with no depth or perspective. Today, consumers expect 3D rendered art and animations like DI provides. Although I really want to like Star Wars, it just felt like... "okay, just another average Stern at best."
Dialed In felt great. I had a blast playing it. So much to discover on the playfield, especially around the SIM Card area. The theme is kick ass. I know it's not for everyone but once you're playing it, the theme really shines. I think if JJP licensed the Sim City franchise, everyone would be pissing themselves with excitement for the theme. It is essentially, a Sim City-like theme. The whole eyewitness news vibe is cool. The disaster modes are fun. Lots of little modes to play and discover like the BOB modes. Lots of depth but I didn't find it confusing.
The cell phone gives me some main objectives to go after and moves the narrative along. To those who are still calling it a cell phone game, you are being either uninformed or just trolling. This game clearly not about a cell phone. It's just a toy that is extremely well integrated into the overall disaster theme. The phone is cool as hell. Reminds me a little of Metal Gear Solid with the comm link thing that gives you objectives and info. In contrast to the SW playfield screen, as someone new to the game, it didn't really add to the game and is poorly integrated.
The DI callouts also guide you along. With Star Wars, the callouts don't really guide you at all because they are clips from the movie. The toys are pretty damn good as well. The Quantum Theater is awesome, it adds a lot to the game play (like hurry-ups) and is much bigger than the googles in GB. I thought the QED electrical guy look cheap online but in person these toys appear to be really well designed. He really adds another dimension to the game play... he is easy to hit but hard to avoid.
Downside to DI? Not much but the callouts are uninspired at times. The beeps and noises were weird... reminded me of the arcade area at my local movie theater.
Is DI worth $3,000 more that a SW Pro? If you can afford it - no question about it. DI is the clear winner in my book, not even close. AS Premium is pretty damn good and I found it much better than SW. To borrow a computer science term, DI is an order of magnitude better in almost every area - theme integration, playfield design, rules design, LCD integration, mechs/toys, quality, etc. My choice is down to DI, Houdini or TNA.

Good write-up. I can't speak for TNA but I have played Houdini enough to know, DI is a better all around pin. I do like Houdidi alot, but if u are looking at 7k Houdini vs 8k DISE it's a no brainer.

3 weeks later
#305 6 years ago

I have played both. SW is decent. Good game but not great. DI by far is the better game. If you are a SW fan, you will like it. If you are a pinball player, DI is for you.

#309 6 years ago

Basically let me just say this without DETAILS!! Dialed In is a better pinball, period!!

#333 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Wouldn't rely on code saving SW. Its pretty much 'what you see is what you get' with Stern code at the moment. A few more bug fixes then on to the next title. I dont see any signs of that changing with the amount of new games being released.

Good point..

#334 6 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Thanks for sparing us by not expanding on the details.

No problem at all. I figured you would not want me to spend hours talking neg about SW right?

#351 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

and he looks like he enjoys hitting kids, gently.

I like to hit this to. Beer and Pinball just go together.

20170623_202729 (resized).jpg20170623_202729 (resized).jpg

#365 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I'm a little surprised you think Stern "played it safe" on SW, given that (based on this and your several other posts on the topic) your biggest single issue with the game seems to be integration of the action button to constantly shift bonus multipliers around. Doesn't mean you should like or enjoy the game, but at least Dwight's trying something novel with the action button that significantly changes how this game plays vs other recent Steve Ritchie games.
It will be interesting to see if others share your "the game plays too long" feeling. The operator data posted in one of the other SW threads made it looked like SW has a very reasonable curve of ball times. Of course if you don't like how it plays, a three minute game would still feel long.

I have played SW pro and have to agree with jar155. I have not played the LE as of yet. But, based on people who have, you don't get much more. I really wish I could get into Stern games. I just can't. The reason is I love Williams/Bally era from the 90's and Sterns game play to that era is no comparison. But, Pat and Jack brought that back with Dialed In. So, just like Forrest Gump, that's all I got to say about that.

#366 6 years ago
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
$ 169.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 21.50
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Machine - For Sale
Ashburn, VA
$ 20.00
Electronics
Gameroom Mods
Electronics
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
$ 109.99
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster
Toys/Add-ons
$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple
Backbox
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
€ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider skyemont.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-wars-or-dialed-in?tu=skyemont and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.