DI-toy2 (resized).jpg
IMG_3777 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20170717-081114 (resized).jpg
0-9xvLTTK5EFEBnGG5 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20170716-214452 (resized).jpg
IMG_3902 (resized).JPG
IMG_3897 (resized).JPG
IMG_0422 (resized).PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrgregb123.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#114 6 years ago

I played a lot of SW at Pintastic, and Dialed In. Loved DI so much I bought one yesterday. The ruleset for SW is not done and may not be done for x years, so you can't compare rulesets to DI which has a complete ruleset.

The fit and finish of DI is far superior to any Stern I've owned, although the initial quality (issues out of the box) is about the same. The balls that came with my DI were garbage and the camera was unplugged. After fixing those issues, the game is a classic. Ruleset may not be ridiculously deep like TSPP or LOTR but it's plenty deep enough and more important it's so much fun. Great fanfare, outstanding light shows, and the code still has plenty of updates on the way for aesthetics. Definitely like a new WMS game. The theatre even duplicates the cool Sanctum magnet effect from The Shadow.

The design detail of Lawlor is on another level. Even compared to WMS designers now working for Stern, it's next level. Lawlor takes the time to ensure there are no 'gotcha' shots where the ball bricks and then flies STDM or nothing-but-nets the outlane. Every Stern I've played has multiple numbers of these. Every shot on DI (except that damn SIM card shot) is a fun shot. It's a humorous game - and you get a crap ton of value for the $1,000 more on the LE over the Standard.

I love Star Wars but a theme can only take you so far. I found the shots to be boring (a switchback in 2017?) and the game to be heavily reliant on the screen. I don't want to play a video game. I felt like the best parts were on the screen. It's hard to compare a game like Woz or Dialed In to any Stern - Stern tries to find things they can get away with removing while JJP seems to try to stuff as much as they can into the game. Granted, that can only take you so far just like the theme, but when you add everything up, DI to me is worth every penny of the [not quite] $9k I paid for it - even if it's $2k, even $3k more than SW.

#174 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

The difference of opinion really does revolve around theme though, JJP defenders would buy a Muppets pin or ANY theme just because they think it has more BOM. As the other intangibles hit home, like resale value, that thinking will start to change in the future.

I bought DI and feel it's a much better product for the price than SW but I'm not sure if that automatically makes me a "JJP defender"? This was my first JJP purchase. I absolutely loved the mechanics and build of Woz but the theme was just too outdated and blah for me so I did not buy it. I have absolutely not interest in The Hobbit movies but the theme is not a deal breaker like Woz was. However, I think The Hobbit game itself is super-boring and incredibly easy, so I did not buy it.

As I said in my prior post, it's the combination of many things that makes a pin great. Is Dialed in Youssi's best art? No. But it's not Stern photoshopped images either. Is Star Wars a more exciting theme than the phone/chaos city theme? Perhaps, but I feel Stern got an outstanding license and totally blew it. If SW was made to be a truly killer game, if they stuffed it with cool toys and they really put a lot of effort into it, and charged a premium over their normal prices - and it would have sold like crazy, obviously....DI is selling like mad and its $8k-$9k. The bottom line is if you feel you like the SW theme enough and great shots/cool toys are not a high priority, get it. If the theme is not super important and you like a fun, challenging pinball game, DI is a great choice.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
$ 169.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 21.50
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 20.00
Electronics
Gameroom Mods
Electronics
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
$ 109.99
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster
Toys/Add-ons
$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple
Backbox
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
€ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Salinas, CA
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
7,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Union, KY
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrgregb123.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-wars-or-dialed-in?tu=mrgregb123 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.