DI-toy2 (resized).jpg
IMG_3777 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20170717-081114 (resized).jpg
0-9xvLTTK5EFEBnGG5 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20170716-214452 (resized).jpg
IMG_3902 (resized).JPG
IMG_3897 (resized).JPG
IMG_0422 (resized).PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fosaisu.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#96 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I haven't seen the original SW trilogy in a while but in all my memories of those films the hyper drive really isn't in any of them

??? Half the time spent on the Millennium Falcon is Han/Lando trying to get the hyperdrive working after it's either broken or been disabled.

Hyperspace_falcon (resized).pngHyperspace_falcon (resized).png

#156 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

DI, while not a world wide franchise, actually is a pretty cool theme. It's different than anything else in the last 20 years. Embrace change. Don't have to buy it, but be open minded. Obviously it's selling well and has killer reviews

DI clearly has lots of good reviews based on this thread alone. Any rumors on sale numbers? Would be interesting to hear how it's stacking up against Hobbit (I'd assume Hobbit > due to popular licensed theme, but who knows?)

#168 6 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Literal LOL when I read this.
If a pin is fun to me, I can get past the theme. Example: I'm not Zombie fan and TWD disgusts me really. But the gameplay is SO good and the updated sound package makes it my clear favorite pin in a long long time. With WOZ I can't get past the theme/music. I've played it many times but it's still a big, complicated machine based on a musical. It's well done, but it's not my cup of tea.
With SW, it's a dream theme, but there's just not value there to justify the cost for me.
DI is packed with things to do, but that theme. That guy holding the cell phone. Oh man. And I think the music and sounds aren't as good as Road Show.
So anyway, in short, I have no idea why I'm posting this.

My takeaway: screw SW and DI, you're buying a Road Show and spending the remaining $2-$5k on Judy Garland memorabilia.

#233 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I'm still considering a premium at this point, but the gimmicks won't be enough to dramatically change ones opinion on the overall game.

Why? Sounds like you really don't like SW Pro, so why waste your time worrying about the Premium which as you say will be mostly the same game? Plenty of other stuff out there to spend your cash on.

1 month later
#326 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

having played both, DI wins by a mile. better layout. better toys. better art. better theme. yep, i said better theme. come at me, c3p-bro.

Your avatar suggests that you might be slightly biased, Captain.

#364 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Star Wars is about as good of a theme as you can get in pinball, but somehow they always trip up on it. I can't say that Stern blew this one, but they definitely left a lot to be desired. They played it SO SAFE on this one, and that's far less than Star Wars deserves. It's not just the simple layout, which is actually pretty fun to shoot. The biggest issue is that the code is a 100% "we read Pinside and took everything to heart!" product.
Some people complained about the Ghostbusters laddered modes, so in Star Wars you can STACK EVERYTHING TO THE MOON. Hurry ups, modes, multipliers, and qualifiers are all lighting up the inserts to the point where you can barely parse out what each shot is doing half the time. All the modes start to feel the same, because there are 4 layers of things going on any shot, so nothing feels unique or focused. It's just a shotgun blast of lit inserts. Then you have a game that asks you to track all this stuff while managing the overuse of the action button, how your multipliers are building or shrinking, and your progress through all kinds of branching ladders of game progression. All that one what is probably the fastest playfield Stern has ever produced, and it doesn't make any sense. Total lack of cohesion between layout and code. Get deep enough and you're just constantly rolling multiballs into another and the game plays way too long, but if you don't know how to maximize score, it's a grind with a weak payoff. Skilled shooting takes a backseat to action button slapping management.

I'm a little surprised you think Stern "played it safe" on SW, given that (based on this and your several other posts on the topic) your biggest single issue with the game seems to be integration of the action button to constantly shift bonus multipliers around. Doesn't mean you should like or enjoy the game, but at least Dwight's trying something novel with the action button that significantly changes how this game plays vs other recent Steve Ritchie games.

It will be interesting to see if others share your "the game plays too long" feeling. The operator data posted in one of the other SW threads made it looked like SW has a very reasonable curve of ball times. Of course if you don't like how it plays, a three minute game would still feel long.

#368 6 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I have played SW pro and have to agree with jar155. I have not played the LE as of yet. But, based on people who have, you don't get much more. I really wish I could get into Stern games. I just can't. The reason is I love Williams/Bally era from the 90's and Sterns game play to that era is no comparison. But, Pat and Jack brought that back with Dialed In. So, just like Forrest Gump, that's all I got to say about that.

I did not say that he has to (or should) like SW, or that the gameplay is better than classic 90s B/W games. My only point was it's funny to say on the one hand that Stern went "SAFE" with SW and on the other hand, be so clearly put off by the addition of the novel and prominent use of the action button. Love it or hate it, that seems "NEW" to me.

1 week later
#382 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Pinball is weird. People would choose a vastly inferior game due to a disaster theme being such a hangup.

Luckily for Stern, not everyone dislikes their Star Wars as much as you! Unfortunately for JJP, not everyone is as tolerant of the theme on DI as you. I think that pretty much sums it up. Oh yeah, and $8.5k is a lot to spend on a pinball machine if you don't love everything about it, including the theme.

#389 6 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

Fortunately for JJP, people are starting to love the theme. My understanding is that DI is a big hit for JJP and have a lot of backorders.

I hope they sell tons of them. By most accounts it plays great, and some have even embraced the theme as you have. If it actually sells better than Hobbit, maybe JJP will make more unlicensed themes in the future, which would be cool.

My point was that theme matters (especially at these price points), and it's unrealistic to expect a Simcity/cell phone theme to have the same mass appeal as SW.

#408 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

How are the Fake3PO call outs now that it's in a home environment?

Quoted from SilverballNut:

I really don't know what you are talking about with this. There are almost no callouts and the voice is done by the clone wars narrator and is not meant to sound like C3PO. I'll have to pay more attention, but definitely nothing bugging me near as bad as the damn DI selfie/emoji crap.

Eskaybee regards anyone with a British accent as a "Fake C3PO." If you think he's harsh on SW, you should see his review of Dunkirk.

#412 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Gotta confess, i dont know what DunKirk is

It's the one where an army of Fake C3POs are fighting Nazis at the beach.

3 weeks later
#478 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

one poop for every 10 faces

The odds are good, but the goods are odd.

1 month later
#510 6 years ago

I've got no opinion on SW v DI since I've only got in a few games on DI.

But as for SW, give it an honest try before you dismiss it. The shot multiplier lane-changing is hectic fun and at least in my experience pretty unique to the pinball world. Some people just don't care for it, but I found that it "clicked" for me after a number of games and I now really enjoy the risk/reward aspect of taking my hands off the flippers to maximize scoring chances (not to mention shooting the risky standup bank to up my multiplier before taking big-points shots). People also complain about the "theme integration" but I have to disagree -- there are some fantastic modes (like Lightsaber Duel) that make great use of sound, video and lighting, and nothing beats having Harrison Ford or Carrie Fisher berating you when you shank a shot. And unlike games based on newer IP (POTC and GOTG come to mind) they've got the whole range of audio and video to play with in this game.

SW takes a few games to figure out, but is well worth your time IMO.

#533 6 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

make no mistake, if you love the SW theme, you are still a goofy nerd

Epic burn!

#535 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Just like the early Hobbit defenders (those who bought one or shared their positive opinions before even trying it), the early Star Wars defenders will drop off.

This kind of statement is where you go from sounding reasonable (I've played it and I don't like it, despite my undying love for the Star Wars theme) to unreasonable (I don't like it, therefore no one can really like it and they'll all change their minds one day, you'll see).

It's well established that you were disappointed with Stern's SW -- you hate the shot multiplier mechanic (which is central to the gameplay), and you think the Hyperspace ramp sucks. That's all fair, but there's no reason to stoop to the "no, you're a fan boy" level of argument. Attack the other guy's argument, not his character, as the old saying goes.

#540 6 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

It wasn't a burn at all. Watch the video. You might be in it. Taken from a Conan show.

Nah, if I turn up being interviewed by Triumph it'll be at the Great American Beer Festival (I saw him there, but was too sober to walk into that buzz saw). It is some funny shit though.

#550 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Op person owns both.... do u ? His opinion is his opinion and yours is yours. No right or wrong awnser..... just preference. Just like i prefer dile ... dont mean sw sucks tho. People take things way to serious anymore.... its pinball for goodness sake lol.

Quoted from PtownPin:

As a matter of fact I do own both....and I never stated that SW sucks....not sure where u got that?

He was quoting @beelzeboob, not you. In fact, by "Op person owns both" I'm pretty sure he meant you, and was trying to defend your basis for arguing that DI is better!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 21.50
7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, GA
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Carl Junction, MO
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 22.95
Playfield - Plastics
RGP Models

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fosaisu.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-wars-or-dialed-in?tu=fosaisu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.