DI-toy2 (resized).jpg
IMG_3777 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20170717-081114 (resized).jpg
0-9xvLTTK5EFEBnGG5 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20170716-214452 (resized).jpg
IMG_3902 (resized).JPG
IMG_3897 (resized).JPG
IMG_0422 (resized).PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider eskaybee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 6 years ago

SW PRO + $3k game.

But we haven't seen a SW PREM yet.

#78 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

The bigger concern to me is that DI is blowing SW up in the polls. Yeah, SW will outsell di, but gameplay wise, I never thought I'd see people favor any game over SW, especially a "cell phone" game. To me, this shows something lacking in the new stern. Not sure what alternate universe we live in anymore. SW was supposed to be the biggest stern release ever in my book, and it's really had mixed reviews.

Most people here are all about value value value and believe value is in the BOM disregarding design team, code, theme, integration, sound, etc... And most havent played SW yet, i know i havent, they just started shipping this week and code isnt quite out of beta yet. Give it about 3-6 mos. if you want a more fair assesment on the poll. Otherwise, i say go play both and decide for yourself.

I dont get the luxury of having good location pinball near my house, so i base most my assesments off my experience in the hobby and videos. Talking personally with Steve Ritchie on his designs and how involved he gets after with rules, sounds, engagement, integration, etc... coupled with the early reviews and videos led me to buy GOT. When it came in i thought it was the most sparse un-packed game i'd ever seen. Thought i made a mistake. Turns out the game is fun and strategic as hell and has been in my collection 1 1/2 years+. Had a packed WOZ next to it for awhile which is great; but theme, sounds, scoring elements do matter to me and WOZ is long gone.

So back on topic to SW vs DI; the first thing is price $5400 vs $8k. Next thing is action, strategy, excitement, and fun. To me Dialed In looks like well oiled, well playing RBION (not necesarrily the layout but..) Great Rules, Great Flow, Great Code, but lacks the X factor of excitement, action, sound and fun. SW pro looks to have those added elements that so many of us disregard but is missing the packed playfield elements. More isnt always better. But, i digress; I will hold off final judgement til i play both which should be in the next week or 2 as the location 2 hours from me will be having both soon and i plan to make the commute to give both a whirl.

Bottom line, from my observations; if you like a game that looks packed and value is shown on the outside > Go DI. If you want a game thats exciting and action packed with strategies where value is hidden behind the scenes > go SW.

#138 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Both games look good, I've played DI didn't decide to buy it. That doesn't mean it's bad but I elected to spend my money on Woz.
Both games will be for sale new for years to come so I'm going to wait and see what else comes out in the future.
JJP Potc, Toy Story or HP would be much more likely to buy.

I don't think people realize how bad of a theme toy Story would be for pinball. I have a 4 year old and we watch the toy Story movies from time to time, and the sound package in a pinball would be so bad, so annoying. Toy story is by far one of my kids least favorite movie shows; If jjp is serious about a kids themed movie pinball, they should look at Lego movies, minecraft, despicable me, or cars.

POTC could be good, bUT I'd imagine dealing with thst license could be a headache based on sterns Potc. That leaves Harry Potter. Id rather see some 80s throw back with back to the future or something that direction.

My 2 cents.

#140 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Hard pass on Toy Story. Bring on Lego Batman!! My kid would flip.

Lego batman or lego emit would be epic for kids. Or just a generic lego pinball with throwbacks to all the movies.

#141 6 years ago
Quoted from PinCrush:

Star Wars is a dream theme for me, but I see no value at all in this game. Meanwhile, DI is packed with goodies and a ton of fun. I'm not saying SW won't be fun, but for those prices, I need to see some sort of bang for the buck. There are lots of fun, stripped down games out there that don't cost what SW does.
The Bob the Builder comments are funny, but isn't it ironic that the Bob the Builder machines looks far more modern than Star Wars? Maybe they were chasing the "A long time ago..." vibe.

Bob the builder? He looks more like fix it Felix to me. Especially holding the lightning bolt up just like Felix holds his wrench up.

IMG_0422 (resized).PNGIMG_0422 (resized).PNG

#150 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Despicable Me or Cars over Toy Story? That's madness.

Lego movies and despicable me for sure. Cars maybe not so much. But anyone who thinks toy story would make a good pinball theme, go watch all 3 this weekend and let me know what you think on Monday. Sound package alone would be a deal breaker.

1 month later
#315 6 years ago

I'm still in the 'torn, can't decide camp'. I had a much more fun experience on DI than I did SW (PRO). But this was early SW software. My concern about DI is it could get boring and repetitive in a home environment small collection lineup in that to progress quickly through the game you pretty much ignore modes and go theater shot, upper flipper, light BB all day then save BB for when you start a mode and collect. That's how I made it to Armageddon and showdown and put 14+ mil in a 45 min game. That aside, the immersiveness of DI is top notch and the game is very very fun.

I have a feeling SW will win this battle for me because of code and multiple strategies. If GOT mode stacks are eliminated from the code (think they are now), making tattooine shots and starting hoth-death star- etc... modes is tweaked, and the mini wizard modes are beefed with immersiveness, and the hyperdrive is coded well; SW might win this battle for me.

But Then there's AFMr.....

I thought more choices were a good thing for us, but now I can't decide and at these prices, I might just pass altogether.

1 week later
#391 6 years ago

The spirit of pinball is the most important part about theme to me. The table (yes I said table) must be surrounded with aspects to bring that theme to life as it correlates to pinball. I think JJP absolutely nailed that with DI. It truly feels like pinball bliss. So much immersiveness, and life, that submerges you into this disaster pinball table. Much like WW and ES do. That's what you're getting with DI. That said, verdict is still out on whether it's worth the $9k~ price tag it demands.

As for SW. I am surprised at how underwhelmed I am with this one in its current state. The theme is not brought to life and if I'm brutally honest, It has the same initial impressions I had with BM66. Stripped, unsatisfying, cash grab. Code might save it, but it's gonna need a new narrative and some better call outs to help guide its theme, which I just don't think we're gonna get given sterns past. (Although, credit due - bringing in Urban to do ST call outs was a total hit IMO - once they mixed the sound tracks quality right in the last update(s) that is). For its price tag, so many better 'pinball' oriented themes out there (i.e. Most of the current stern pro production games and AFMr). There's nothing in SW that WOWs me, and I'm sad to say that considering the design team is one of my favorites. Still on my radar though pending the effort and direction code goes.

#392 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

OK BITCHES HERE IT IS. I got both and I'm ready to party...Levi confirmed 20 grade player here to give you the straight dope. Crap...I was cleaning my DI and it caused a short that's blowing out a fuse. Dammit buddy came over to play it and everything. Well maybe next time.

How are the Fake3PO call outs now that it's in a home environment?

#397 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I don't think so. The Hobbit isn't universally loved for being a JJP game (I think it's downright terrible, to be honest), and Rob Zombie hasn't been received well either (I personally don't like this one much either). Star Wars gets dogged on because it has lots of problems, mostly at the code level. The layout is fun to shoot, but it's the absolute definition of playing it safe. It's Star Wars! If you were ever going to go all out, do it on this game! I'm not talking toys, I'm talking about actual effort.
The rules are just bad on Star Wars. It's like you took Game of Thrones as a starting point and tore away all the deliberate pacing in favor of unfocused and scattershot modes/hurry ups/multiballs. Dwight heard some of the gripes about Ghostbusters' "too linear" mode progression and lack of stacking and turned it completely on its head. Now you can stack crap way too deep. Now individual shots are hard to parse out, because there are more things going on per shot than the game can even indicate with inserts or the screen. The game is breakneck fast, but they put a ruleset in there that forces you to take your hands off the flippers a lot. It's like it was designed by committee and nobody was told no at any point (aside from any novel ideas).
Somehow they went into the design process with pinball's most wanted theme and came out with something that is both vanilla and ridiculously convoluted. I seriously wonder if there should be an award for that. It's nothing short of disappointing.

with mode stacking off; one of things i like about SW is its rules and potential rules strategy. Still needs A LOT of polish to bring it together, but rules was not one of things that drew me back.

I hope future updates have mode stacking off by default. Similar to XMEN.

#409 6 years ago
Quoted from SilverballNut:

I really don't know what you are talking about with this. There are almost no callouts and the voice is done by the clone wars narrator and is not meant to sound like C3PO. I'll have to pay more attention, but definitely nothing bugging me near as bad as the damn DI selfie/emoji crap.

Gotcha; ill stop calling him Fake3PO. But his jackpot call outs in SW really are ear wrenching arent they? Although, i must be on crack cause i was a harsh critic of Dialed In's call outs when i first saw videos, and then again after playing it a couple times. Then the game and theme integration clicked with me and i love the call outs now. What's wrong with me? mommy, am i normal? And maybe this is a question for Dialed In owners, but it feels like DI call outs get intensified as you progress and start blowing the game up; could be in my mind though.

Quoted from fosaisu:

Eskaybee regards anyone with a British accent as a "Fake C3PO." If you think he's harsh on SW, you should see his review of Dunkirk.

Gotta confess, i dont know what DunKirk is

3 weeks later
#476 6 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

The only thing irritating is they don't use the poop emoji, which of course, is superior to all other emojis.

This for sure needs to be added into the code!!! But has to be subtle, like one poop for every 10 faces. Needs an option to turn on/off in adjustments too.

1 month later
#483 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Like this, I recommend SW over DI, DI is a great playing pin but the theme and gimmicks are terrible, SW is pure pinball bliss, fast with amazing A/V and good code.

I'd disagree. SW PREM gimmicks are terrible. Brick'ing hyperdrive, forks that kill flow and block the hoth shot. Say what you will about the DI theme but it feels more like a pinball theme than SW as its integrated 10X better and designed specifically for pinball. The custom call outs on SW are rancid.

SW PREM vs DI - DI wins hands down. Now if you compare it to the pro model with better gameplay than it's premium predecessor and add price into the factor in that you can get an NIB SW PRO + sub $3-4K game for the price, then that wins over DI IMO.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 10.95
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

5,640 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

7,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Salinas, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider eskaybee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-wars-or-dialed-in?tu=eskaybee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.