DI-toy2 (resized).jpg
IMG_3777 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20170717-081114 (resized).jpg
0-9xvLTTK5EFEBnGG5 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20170716-214452 (resized).jpg
IMG_3902 (resized).JPG
IMG_3897 (resized).JPG
IMG_0422 (resized).PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Vdrums.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#330 6 years ago

Though no expert and haven't played a star wars yet (hope to soon), one of the things I did liked about DI after a night of play was the ability to really save balls with subtle flipper work. I'm not sure if it's because the flippers are closer together than other games. It just felt like I could really control the flippers and ball play in a nice subtle way that I haven't found in other games.

Before I saw and played DI in person, the theme and look seemed like it wouldn't interest me. I thought something like Houdini would be a better fit for a NYC living room (and I have space for only 1 game so it has to be a good choice)

But after playing DI I was totally blown away by every aspect.

I also found it challenging in that I mostly did pretty poorly on score, but was able to achieve one game over 600,000. So I think the variability and challenge would make it long term a good game.

I also like the fact that I can play with the app. Having stress injury from computer use, I sometimes have aching wrists after long pinball sessions, so it might be nice to switch off to virtual buttons at times.

The lack of music I actually liked since you can play your own music and not have it compete.

As far as resale value, I think so many people here alone have indicated they would buy a used DI, that there is already demand for a used one.

I do want try a SWLE as soon as one hits the NYC Area. (Unless someone know where I can see one now)

2 weeks later
#434 6 years ago

I had the chance to play swle and DILE yesterday at Bloomies here in NY for a few hours for free. I'm in the market for a single machine, so this topic is of interest to me.

This was the first swle I have played, but did play the pro once before.

I must say the more I played it the more I liked it. At first I was not impressed with the game play (second time on this machine), but as I got in deeper, and made better shots, it's design revealed itself. Of course the theme and video/sound is great.... This is star war after all - and it reminds me of a fun star wars spoof film I made for a client where I shot their executives on green screen and composited them into the film seamlessly and shot new scenes as well. I can post a link if anyone is interested in seeing amateurs take on the iconic roles.

In contrast to SW, playing Dialed in feels like a luxury European car. I can't explain exactly. Perhaps it's the Guage of the metal, but the sound and feel of the mechanics as the ball moves just reminds me of the experience I recently had when visiting my mom and driving her mercury marquis for several weeks, then returning home and getting back in my 911. The weight, precision, solidity all stood out in stark contrast after having not driving it for 3 weeks.

They are both great games that could make anyone happy for years, but in playing DI, one can just sense the 3 years Pat Lawlor had to design this pin. It's precise and buttery smooth at the same time. The more I play the theme I like it as well. I was planning on waiting till jj#4 gets released to see if I want that as my only pin, but no matter how good it is, I think the time and effort that went in to DI's design will prevail. Needless to say I'm really thinking of ordering one soon.

But I can now really see why people have multiple pins. As we crave novelty, I think it's the switching back and forth between great games and experiences that make us appreciate each more.

Perhaps this doesn't bode well for the concept of monogamy.....

1 month later
#489 6 years ago

Not sure if I already wrote this but Bloomingdale's here in NY had both machines on free play for 6 weeks or so. The DI had some issues and was sometimes not playable, while SW never had issues, but I always gravitated towards DI (and I'm a star wars fan).

I can't quantity it but DI was just more fun and kept me coming back.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 4,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 22.95
Playfield - Plastics
RGP Models

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Carl Junction, MO
$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

5,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

5,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Vdrums.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-wars-or-dialed-in?tu=Vdrums and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.