DI-toy2 (resized).jpg
IMG_3777 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20170717-081114 (resized).jpg
0-9xvLTTK5EFEBnGG5 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20170716-214452 (resized).jpg
IMG_3902 (resized).JPG
IMG_3897 (resized).JPG
IMG_0422 (resized).PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mfsrc791.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

There I did it. I started a dialed in or star wars thread. Not trying to start a war between the two because I'm pretty sure most people think both games are awesome. I'm stuck between getting a star wars pro or dialed in le/se.(gameplay is same not sure if I need extra bling yet). What do you guys think? Is dialed in worth the extra 3000 or so dollars? I added a poll for fun.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

I dont know how this is a choice. DI is packed with stuff. SW is stripped down. The value can be seen in DI.

Ya definitely has more in it but 3000 dollars is also alot of extra money and I did have fun on that SW pro at pintastic.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Dialed In is not $3300 more. SW Pro cannot be compared to any Dialed In model, they are on different levels.
Now a Dialed In standard vs a SW premium is a more fair comparison. A Dialed In standard would be $600 more on average over a SW Premium.
A Dialed In LE vs a SW LE would be $500-$600 more on average.
You are going to get far more game, features and value with either Dialed In model for about $500 more over either SW Premium / LE.
Star Wars LE doesnt event come with a real backglass or a shaker motor. A Dialed In standard does. At the LE level Dialed In comes with invisiglass where Stern is not including their new HD anti-reflective glass with SW LE, no shaker motor and not even a real backglass...Add HD glass and a shaker motor to Star Wars LE and the price difference versus a Dialed In LE is around $100.
Then there's the higher build quality of Dialed In over Star Wars, the better code support, the higher quality powder powder coat, more interactive features on the playfield, etc.
My goodness. Star Wars looks cool and fun but damn is Stern taking people for a ride when you see what the competition is offering for another $500.

I understand the price difference and that the le is closer to dise but as far as 'value' goes the SW pro is untouchable. So for me I would rather have the pro the the sw le. That's why it makes it a tough choice when you need to pay almost 60 percent more

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from _xizor:

The poll needs a "both" button.
Different games... DI is unique, SW is a "classic" licenced game.
Are you playing on keeping the games long term? DI LE/CE may hold value longer than similar SW models, make your own guess.
Want to flip quickly? Chances are you'll get you money out of a SW for the next year easily as there should be great "non-pinball" buyers out there willing to pick it up.

I will probably keep SW at least a year. Dialed in a few years at least to justify the bigger cost.

Edit: I owed acdc pro and loved it but layout got old after 6 months. SW code seems deeper though

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

would you rather play with bob the builder or live within the star wars galaxy is the real question?

Haha. Love star wars and had fun in the 2 games I played but I just don't want to get sick of the layout after a month. I love dialed ins layout but the price is hard to swallow. Everyone says it's an easy choice with dialed in but the extra money I save could go to other (important) things.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Lastability in a home environment is my big concern. SW layout is obviously fast, but that doesn't make it fun, or a long lasting pin either. I personally think fast and flow are over used terms and over rated. The rules, sounds and clips are the only thing SW has going. If it was ANY other theme, people would look elsewhere. That said, I'm still considering a premium, but I do think DI looks more interesting. Op, buy the one you like most. If DI is your choice, don't let the price sway you. JJP games are a treat to own IMO. Probably can't afford them all, but it's nice to have one.

Ya all true. I have a lotr so sw would be a breath of fresh air with the shorter faster games. Too many tough choices which is awesome!

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

would you rather play with bob the builder or live within the star wars galaxy is the real question?

c2c (resized).jpgc2c (resized).jpg

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

If want a DI wait and buy it down the road when the Nibbers start dumping it for something else
THLEs are going for $6500-$7000 now
Buy the SW pro now, have fun, sell it later and buy DI MUCH cheaper

Yup that seems to be the best way to go about it. Or buy a met pro until SW starts hitting the market used. Too many good choices today

#87 6 years ago

Ya definitely too early for a poll. I just wanted to add it for fun and see. Sounds like SW pro now and dialed in used at a later date. Best of both worlds.

Now all we are missing from this thread is rarehero rambling on about how ghost busters sucks and the Hobbit rules

#126 6 years ago

So would you take a free star wars pro plus 3000 dollars cash or a free dialed in standard?

#135 6 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I ordered a Star Wars LE. I dont think people have much to say about it.. Im worried, does anyone out there like it????

No one's played an le yet. Pro is fun. Had some mixed reviews, more positive then negative though.

#158 6 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Hey OP. You know what I just started thinkng about after reading this thread? I have a SW LE on order and DI was not on the radar do to costs and I like and dont have any problem with JJP pins, but lean on Sterns. Now I am thinking of getting both!
I sold my nice HUO modded lotr to get cash and space for SWLE. I played DI a lot when last year at a show and liked it. I even liked my RCT but had to sell it to get POTC. Yes RCT! Ha ! For me buying SWLE and adding DI, even standard, would be out of my comfort zone. 5 is my max, I woild need cash so I would have to sell one of my games, maybe IM that has kikced my butt for 3 years? I could lower my SWLE to a pro and use the $3000 savings ($3000?! Yikes!), add IM money to go towards DI and i would be good cash wise. Hmm? I have a family. I am a good, not great player and play for fun, so a line up of POTC, SMVE, AS and then add SW and DI would the off the charts! IMHO!
So back to you - maybe sell your LOTR like I did and get both? Lotr is aweome, but if you have SW and DI sitting next to each other that would be epic! I always try to think outside the box and upgrade or get something new when I can. Sell something out of yout collection to make things happen. I never miss a game I sell.

Haha that's funny so just because of this thread you decided to get a dialed in? I should make some commission lol.

I don't want to sell lotr yet. Still need to get to valinor first

#192 6 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

WOZ was the worst NIB unboxing experience I've ever had and the least reliable new game I've ever had.

Well woz was jjps 1st game. How many games has stern made? I'm guessing alot

#197 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Again buy what you enjoy playing and don't worry about what other's think. If you want unique toys and layouts go with jjp and if you like a typical fan layout and speed go with any stern pin made in the last 6-7 years. No wrong awnser to this ......all pins are not for everyone.

That's the problem! I like star wars but hate supporting lazy uninspired layouts. The game is fun so it makes up for it but dam put a little effort in and don't make this a tough decision. If stern wanted to the could have CRUSHED dialed in but they chose to save money and rely on great code and theme.

#211 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I agree with this.
Stern pins are littered with half hearted pins with great themes.
XM
TF
TAV
ST
I am not saying they are all bad but they could have been a lot better given the theme and body of work they could have drawn on.
I happen to love how TWD came out but come on it's badly missing most elements of the TV show. It has some place names like Woodbury and the Prison but little else from the TV show is present like the main characters. Maybe that was intentional but I think it was said or speculated they didn't get the whole license to the TV show. IDK what happened. But TWD (I know it's great) just seems like a generic zombie pin with things like Well zombie or Bicycle girl (which probably take up 15 minutes of the series total) and some places like prison, CDC, Barn, Woodbury, crossbow and other elements from the show but no characters at all. TWD has great code but I am scratching my head to see how it is more than loosely based on the show.
To me Stern will always make good pins with code that is somewhere between great and just ok. I don't see Stern going the extra mile on every title and if I has spent money on BM66 I would be a bit worried because Stern is probably not selling a lot of them and may pull the plug once the code is up to ok level. Remember Lyman was also on Avatar and WWE so it's not like every title he is on will get Metallica or TWD treatment.

Ya walking dead could have been better too. The characters make that show and it would have been cool maybe playing scenes from the show in each of the major characters perspective. Another pin that's fun but could have been epic if stern tried harder.

#228 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Sorry Murph but when you complain about TWD that's where you go down in flames
It is EPIC greatness
LCD? Oh man I'd buy another if only

Haha I'm burning alive where is my flamensuit!! No I like the walking ndead and would consider buying one. Just think there is some things to improve on same with any game. You can't get it all!!!! That's why we have pinside to vent and argue

#254 6 years ago
Quoted from SimonBaird:

Put this poll to operators and Star Wars pro would win hands down. Based on theme alone I would say Star Wars would out earns dialled in by at least a third, I've worked off 20 fully paid plays per day for Star Wars and 15 fully paid plays for dialled ins. I have worked off a 50% share with the location owner. Even if both games depreciated at the same rate I.e lost 30% of their value after two years. Allowing for a site doing 20 games a day at $1 per game you would be almost $3000 better off with a Star Wars pro. That's not taking into account the repairs and maintenance , which one would have to presume would be far less on Star Wars based on the complexity of the machine.
So as a business which would you choose a $5500 investment that would net you $5800 in profit or an $8000 investment that would net you $3500. Even if dialled in generated the same number of plays as Star Wars you would be down $500 compared to a SW pro. Anyone that says dialled in is go to out earn Star Wars on route is kidding themselves. Anyone that says dialled in is going to have lower maintence then SW over two years on route is kidding themselves. In reality a belive you would probably double your overall earnings going with a SW pro then dialled in standard edition as an operator.
Now why is any of this important. If you are a true fan of pinball then you should pray and hope that sited pinball is still a viable option today. Yes we know that the home collector is becoming a much bigger share of the market. However if you think Stern could survive solely by selling to the home collectors and maintain their current pricing you crazy. Operators still account for at least 50% of Sterns business world wide. Pros are still Sterns biggest sellers for any machine world wide. Loose operators you loose Stern loose Stern you loose pinball manufacturing period. The hobby is not going to be sustained by JJP alone and all the other try hards that have added nothing to our hobby expect pain and frustration (spooky aside).
We should all be praising Sterns ability to deliver a great table to the masses with a killer theme at a price point that makes it a financially viable investment for operators I.e Star Wars pro. It might not be the machine you are looking for but it is the machine pinball needs to survive and flourish into the future.
This poll should be renamed if you want to see pinball in 2020 which machine would you choose.
I have a nice collection at home and feel privilege to have the games I own. However I strongly belive pinball belongs to everyone and will continue to support operators and location pinball as the mainstay of our hobby. Yes JJP could of done an amazing job with the Star Wars licence but you know what at $8k and $9k minimum purchase price they would of only produce a third or less of what Stern will with Star Wars at a $5.5k entry point. Think about that before you cast your vote

Ya i will rename it for you cuz I'm interested in what a operator would buy

#278 6 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Steve Ritchie was clearly going for speed on this one. I don't think that ties in well with under playfield magnets.
I'm stoked to get my SW pin and to get some games on it. I love the faster, flowy titles that Stern has put out.

Still. A Jedi battle could use some magnets to mess with you. Even if the were not used alot they could still have made a few modes with them. Then again it's more costly for them too

1 month later
#367 6 years ago

I ended up buying neither. I bought a nib Metallica pro.

#370 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

The layout is VERY safe. Nothing unique going on there. The code is not complicated from an ability to understand (aside from some quirky decisions like how to start the Boba Fett hurry ups), it's just convoluted. Stacks on stacks with tons of action button usage thrown in (TIE Fighters, multipliers, add-a-ball, etc.). The game really isn't that deep, it's just a bit messy. I'm sure they'll clean stuff up, but the direction they took with the code would have been better used on a layout with more shots and a more controlled speed to it.

I love the stackable modes on tspp because it works for that style game. There is no real 'story' to tell. With star wars it becomes a mess when there is to many things going on.

#372 6 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

How funny is that.
Is it reflection on how good Metallica is after all these years or how average most other pins are in comparison?
One day they will need the winning combo to get back together again. Borg, Donnie, Lyman

Ya I know funny. I think the price was better, 5100, and it seems like a better game than star wars. Only played a few games on it but had a blast. Really nervous that i may be forced to join the "stern are you serious" club. Fingers crossed.

#375 6 years ago

Ya I just got a Simpsons pinball party with a color dmd. Looks great on that game too. Thought about swapping it to Metallica. I wish the color dmds were 200. I would buy them for every game.

2 months later
#484 6 years ago

After playing them both some more, SW doesn't hold a candle to dialed in. Not that star wars is terrible, it's just that DI is superb. It's almost not even a fair question to ask.

1 week later
#530 6 years ago

I think the poll speaks for itself. SW isn't terrible but it's not in the same category as dialed in. If Steve had more money and more of a leash, he could have done alot more with SW. Stern knew that the theme will sell it alone

Screenshot_20171106-115949 (resized).pngScreenshot_20171106-115949 (resized).png

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 4,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 22.95
Playfield - Plastics
RGP Models

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Tulsa, OK
$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

5,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

7,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Salinas, CA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mfsrc791.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-wars-or-dialed-in?tu=Mfsrc791 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.