DI-toy2 (resized).jpg
IMG_3777 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20170717-081114 (resized).jpg
0-9xvLTTK5EFEBnGG5 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20170716-214452 (resized).jpg
IMG_3902 (resized).JPG
IMG_3897 (resized).JPG
IMG_0422 (resized).PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider John_I.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#83 6 years ago

Lots of us are buying SW premium which is missing from the poll.

#86 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Well, nobody has played that yet. Pretty much impossible to judge so far.

And your point is? No one has seen of played SW LE yet either.

#165 6 years ago

Funny people talk about value a being somehow related to the weight of the machine. Three years from now when Star Wars LE are selling for more than they did NIB and DILE are selling for a loss, what is the value really based on?

Also all this talk about quality? WOZ was the worst NIB unboxing experience I've ever had and the least reliable new game I've ever had. Just replaced the SSD last week in fact. Still trying to fix/adjust the lock bar receiver that some gorilla bent at the factory.

#170 6 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

I work with server and desktop hardware.
You cannot blame JJP for a faulty SSD. They are made in another country, and often fail regardless of what machine they are installed in.
Come on.
Same is true for SD cards. They often fail. Stern cannot be blamed for premature SD card failures.
Right?
At least the CPU portion of JJP games are not some proprietary hardware. Surely you see the value in that...

I blame them for a shitty design that has a whole PC in a metal box in the base of the machine. I'd rather replace a $5 SD card any day.
And I'd much, much rather have dedicated hardware that I control everything. Every time Ubuntu or the COTS mobo is changed how much unknown stuff is affected in a JJP machine?

#179 6 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

Again though, pros and cons, and $500 proprietary versus $200 generic. I don't call that a "shitty" design, but a smart choice.

Lol. You really think Stern pays that much? By the time you pay for all the extra mile of cabling, the box, SSD, labor, etc the JJP setup is much more expensive and amounts too a square peg in a round hole.

Dedicated hardware is the way to go. That is why back in 2011 JJP said they absolutely were not going with a PC solution. That tune changed when it turned out that wasn't so easy. Not to mention their designers couldn't design LED boards properly let alone a complex embedded controller. It is my observation they ended ended up with this bloated, expensive system system as a fall back as the schedule was quickly slipping.

We can agree too disagree in this, but I will take Spike every day and twice on Saturday.

#190 6 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

I had fun playing, but I didn't say "Wow". Is that bad?

Nope. To each their own. The great thing about this hobby is choices. People should play and/or buy the games they like and eff what anyone else including me thinks.

1 month later
#324 6 years ago

After playing DI a bunch this weekend I just can't get past the theme. Rather than growing on me it's going the other way! The little moving electric man? WTF. Maybe it's me but the idea of a game taking selfies just makes my skin crawl. It's kind of a clunky too. Definitely a lot better graphics than the other two JJP games but not my cup of tea as an overall package. For me it will be Star Wars and/or Metallica.

#352 6 years ago

That is one lame looking toy. Can we at least get a target decal?

#359 6 years ago

So somehow a tie fighter is less cool than a plastic electrician on a stick? I want whatever you're smoking lol. You need to keep the debate to total weight, BOM or how good you look in selfies, because there is no getting around DI being a terrible theme.

1 week later
#415 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

lso, the music on Dialed In is fantastic. The call outs are weak for the most part, but the music and sound effects are quite good.

The sound quality is noticeably worse in DI than the previous JJP games and especially the new SPIKE 2.1 games because of the way they have the speakers firing upwards to make room for putting the boards in the backbox. The sound is not crisp at all like it is on WOZ. I'm all for getting the electronics out of the lower cabinet, but they could have come up with a better way. This is yet another reason I prefer the Stern screen size and SPIKE in general.

#424 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

He prefers SPIKE in general. That's crazy talk. Nobody with any level of objectivity would.

The speakers fire upward inside the head and there is an opening in the front for the sound to come out. Not like it's a Bose sound tube either. Sorry, I noticed the muddy sound while playing the game and compared to the AS nearby DI sounded not nearly as good. Closer examination found this new head design where the speakers don't point outward. It also does not sound as good as the WOZ that I am sitting 20 feet from as I type this. Shrug.

I am an electronics engineer so I am entitled to my opinion on the guts of the machines even though it makes no difference on game play. I prefer a dedicated system to a PC any day. Baby steps. JJP will get there some day. At least they got the PC out of the cabinet.

#429 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Ok, but as an owner of a pinball machine collection, I prefer anything over the problematic and half-baked SPIKE system. It's still not finished and they're several games in.

WOZ has been the least reliable game I've ever had... The problems with SPIKE are way overblown fake news.

#433 6 years ago

Not saying there aren't problems. Just overblown.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 4,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 22.95
Playfield - Plastics
RGP Models

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

5,640 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

7,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Salinas, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider John_I.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-wars-or-dialed-in?tu=John_I and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.