DI-toy2 (resized).jpg
IMG_3777 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20170717-081114 (resized).jpg
0-9xvLTTK5EFEBnGG5 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20170716-214452 (resized).jpg
IMG_3902 (resized).JPG
IMG_3897 (resized).JPG
IMG_0422 (resized).PNG
There are 558 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 12.
#51 6 years ago

If only jjp would have listened to what they saw at expo (people walking out)....well it saved me some cash. SW le is my pick and paid for just waiting. If they would have changed the theme and art work to resemble more of an Earth shaker type game I would have gone a different route. I played DI and would drop a few bucks in it on route but I can see it dropping value like other jjp titles. So safe route is the SW and play it 6 months to a year and revisit the resale market. Chances are you can get your money out of sw at any point for the most part. DI I will venture to say will be under or at 7k like we have seen with other jjp. Hoping title 4 will be my first jjp purchase ( toy story? Time will tell).

#52 6 years ago

I've only owned Star Wars a few days and I've only played it dialed in that the show's but here's my two cents.

They're two completely different games. It's like comparing Iron Man to Twilight Zone.

Star Wars is Fast & Furious with cool video clips. Dialed in is a longer ball time multiple toys and shots game.

I think if Star Wars can keep up the good code and video clips it will be a big hit.

Dialed in won people over with gameplay to overcome the theme. Star Wars has a great theme and is off to a good start with code and video clips. Hopefully SW code will maximize the emptier layout.

#53 6 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Based on your collection that explains your answer.

Then you noticed i owned both WOZ and Hobbit before? DI just does NOTHING for me! Ive played it and felt good shot wise but thats it for me. Id rather own a SW pro then any JJP game they have made yet.

#54 6 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

Then you noticed i owned both WOZ and Hobbit before? DI just does NOTHING for me! Ive played it and felt good shot wise but thats it for me. Id rather own a SW pro then any JJP game they have made yet.

Fair enough.

#55 6 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

hen you noticed i owned both WOZ and Hobbit before? DI just does NOTHING for me! Ive played it and felt good shot wise but thats it for me. Id rather own a SW pro then any JJP game they have made yet.

I don't think ur allowed to state that view, you could be accused of trying to justify ur purchase or that ur a JJP hater, be careful and remember the value is with DI, oh and build quality. just wait and see the responses I get for this comment, but I love it.

#56 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I don't think ur allowed to state that view, you could be accused of trying to justify ur purchase or that ur a JJP hater, be careful and remember the value is with DI, oh and build quality. just wait and see the responses I get for this comment, but I love it.

I hate you.

#57 6 years ago

I went SW Pro & DISE

#58 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I went SW Pro & DISE

And the universe didn't implode for ordering a game from both manufacturers?

#59 6 years ago

I own bm66 and kiss,lack of code and sterns questionable quality made my mind up for me,I wanted sw so much when I heard the music play on dead flip but came to my senses,dialed in is fantastic and when you flip dialed in right after playing bm66 the quality difference is startling and the price was the same for the standard and bm66 premium.

#60 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Its all good. I buy what i like and if JJP comes out with a theme and coded game the way i prefer i definitely wouldnt hesitate to buy one.

#61 6 years ago

The bigger concern to me is that DI is blowing SW up in the polls. Yeah, SW will outsell di, but gameplay wise, I never thought I'd see people favor any game over SW, especially a "cell phone" game. To me, this shows something lacking in the new stern. Not sure what alternate universe we live in anymore. SW was supposed to be the biggest stern release ever in my book, and it's really had mixed reviews.

#62 6 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

ts all good. I buy what i like and if JJP comes out with a theme and coded game the way i prefer i definitely wouldnt hesitate to buy one

Me too.

#63 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

The bigger concern to me is that DI is blowing SW up in the polls.

Why? the biggest concern u should have is being concerned at all with pinside polls which mean exactly shit, I know many pinsiders that don't post do not take part in polls and are buying SW, and DI or both.

#64 6 years ago

How many DI owners on pinside compared to SW owners? How many more people have played DI then SW at this point? At least 3-1 at this point, lets give it a year then see how poll looks.

#65 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

And the universe didn't implode for ordering a game from both manufacturers?

Well it might when they come in and I post pics of them snuggled up together.

I'm expecting to get the worst of all worlds. JJP haters, Stern Haters, quality build shamers, not enough toy shamers, LE shamers, Em Haters (might be one in the background?)....should be fantastic.

#66 6 years ago

Neither...AS!

#67 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Why? the biggest concern u should have is being concerned at all with pinside polls which mean exactly shit, I know many pinsiders that don't post do not take part in polls and are buying SW, and DI or both.

SW is a game many if us have been waiting years for. DI got laughed at by many. I'm sure you'll agree more people were waiting for SW. Where are all those votes of confidence in the game. It got bashed before gameplay video for being bland. My point was only that it seems like the biggest license is potentially not living up to it's hype, and possibly not even close. Polls are only polls, but how does the most anticipated game of all time get beat in a poll, let alone blown out. Something isn't right. I'm still considering a premium, but I did vote for DI. I'm not making any definite decisions on what SW is yet. It could end up being great, but right now it's too early to tell. Plus as far as the poll goes, it's not just di fans clicking this thread.

#68 6 years ago

SW Pro now. Play the crap out of it and trade it out at a $400 loss and get a HUO DI down the road for $1000 off.

So you get to play both games and end up with a DI for $600 off. You're welcome!

#69 6 years ago

Can someone please recap the typical prices (with shipping)?

#70 6 years ago

It amazes me so many people can predict the future prices of used pins that just came out.

#71 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

SW is a game many if us have been waiting years for. DI got laughed at by many. I'm sure you'll agree more people were waiting for SW. Where are all those votes of confidence in the game. It got bashed before gameplay video for being bland. My point was only that it seems like the biggest license is potentially not living up to it's hype, and possibly not even close. Polls are only polls, but how does the most anticipated game of all time get beat in a poll, let alone blown out. Something isn't right. I'm still considering a premium, but I did vote for DI. I'm not making any definite decisions on what SW is yet. It could end up being great, but right now it's too early to tell. Plus as far as the poll goes, it's not just di fans clicking this thread.

Im guessing at least 2/3 of the people who voted for either star wars or dialed in haven't even play both games yet. Dialed in has been playable for well over a year at test locations around the US and shows, star wars has been out for less then a week, and playable at only one show so far. This is why this poll is point less at this point. I didn't vote, as i've only played star wars at this point and haven't had a chance to get out and spend any quality time on a dialed in.

#72 6 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

I dont know how this is a choice. DI is packed with stuff. SW is stripped down. The value can be seen in DI.

Now that I've played both, I hate to admit it. Star Wars was more fun. Granted, that was with limited plays on both, so I might change my answer later.

DI is just loaded, but that didn't translate to gameplay. I'm a huge JJP honk, but Star Wars (even though it's a complete rip off at that price).

#74 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

The bigger concern to me is that DI is blowing SW up in the polls. Yeah, SW will outsell di, but gameplay wise, I never thought I'd see people favor any game over SW, especially a "cell phone" game. To me, this shows something lacking in the new stern. Not sure what alternate universe we live in anymore. SW was supposed to be the biggest stern release ever in my book, and it's really had mixed reviews.

Totally agree.

#75 6 years ago

SW << DI

#76 6 years ago

Well I'm bored with my ST (and so is the family) even though it is a great game so we were looking for a new game to get when I sell it. I've played dialed in at several shows and the family has played it too. I just can't get into it. Just doesn't work for me. My wife did enjoy it, but my son was like me and just didn't have much fun with it. Granted it's loaded with goodies, but no one wanted me to buy it.

Star Wars is announced and both of them want me to get it (and I do too). Theme matters to us and that's a good start. Watched the videos (while my wife was laughing at me), but after telling her how you can pick your character etc, she is all over getting a Star Wars and thinks it'll last a long time in our house. Even my sons friends (12 year olds) are excited about it coming to the house.

It may not last and we may change our mind later to sell it for something else, but as of now a SW Premium will be coming to our house and DI has no love here...

#77 6 years ago

In terms of gameplay both look like they will be fun, I bet di will end up having better code and depth. But remember you could buy a sw pro and a used second game for the price of a di std

Makes you think..

#78 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Most people here are all about value value value and believe value is in the BOM disregarding design team, code, theme, integration, sound, etc... And most havent played SW yet, i know i havent, they just started shipping this week and code isnt quite out of beta yet. Give it about 3-6 mos. if you want a more fair assesment on the poll. Otherwise, i say go play both and decide for yourself.

I dont get the luxury of having good location pinball near my house, so i base most my assesments off my experience in the hobby and videos. Talking personally with Steve Ritchie on his designs and how involved he gets after with rules, sounds, engagement, integration, etc... coupled with the early reviews and videos led me to buy GOT. When it came in i thought it was the most sparse un-packed game i'd ever seen. Thought i made a mistake. Turns out the game is fun and strategic as hell and has been in my collection 1 1/2 years+. Had a packed WOZ next to it for awhile which is great; but theme, sounds, scoring elements do matter to me and WOZ is long gone.

So back on topic to SW vs DI; the first thing is price $5400 vs $8k. Next thing is action, strategy, excitement, and fun. To me Dialed In looks like well oiled, well playing RBION (not necesarrily the layout but..) Great Rules, Great Flow, Great Code, but lacks the X factor of excitement, action, sound and fun. SW pro looks to have those added elements that so many of us disregard but is missing the packed playfield elements. More isnt always better. But, i digress; I will hold off final judgement til i play both which should be in the next week or 2 as the location 2 hours from me will be having both soon and i plan to make the commute to give both a whirl.

Bottom line, from my observations; if you like a game that looks packed and value is shown on the outside > Go DI. If you want a game thats exciting and action packed with strategies where value is hidden behind the scenes > go SW.

#79 6 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

Im guessing at least 2/3 of the people who voted for either star wars or dialed in haven't even play both games yet. Dialed in has been playable for well over a year at test locations around the US and shows, star wars has been out for less then a week, and playable at only one show so far. This is why this poll is point less at this point. I didn't vote, as i've only played star wars at this point and haven't had a chance to get out and spend any quality time on a dialed in.

I can understand di picking up votes due to being out longer, but a blow out? I just find the poll interesting, and just a conversation piece. Ultimately everyone buys the one they prefer, regardless of a poll. I do think though that a licensed game as big as SW should have no problem in a popularity poll, and for some reason it's struggling. Only reasons I can think of is people haven't played it enough to like it yet, or it's a dud not living up to expectations. In the end, it's just a freaking game. Everybody get what you like.

#80 6 years ago

One thing I'm noticing is that DI appears to be the stand out title that's getting measured against the other new releases. That's got to be a positive sign to its appeal.

However, I wonder how much a 9k pin with a 2500 unit run (for the LEs) can sustain 9k once they are opened? That could be a good argument to pickup one on the secondary market a year from now.

#81 6 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

In terms of gameplay both look like they will be fun, I bet di will end up having better code and depth. But remember you could buy a sw pro and a used second game for the price of a di std
Makes you think..

Isnt SW code deeper and has more breadth then DI now? Im asking not telling since im not 100% sure but sure seems that way.

#82 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Most people here are all about value value value and believe value is in the BOM disregarding design team, code, theme, integration, sound, etc... And most havent played SW yet, i know i havent, they just started shipping this week and code isnt quite out of beta yet. Give it about 3-6 mos. if you want a more fair assesment on the poll. Otherwise, i say go play both and decide for yourself.
I dont get the luxury of having good location pinball near my house, so i base most my assesments off my experience in the hobby and videos. Talking personally with Steve Ritchie on his designs and how involved he gets after with rules, sounds, engagement, integration, etc... coupled with the early reviews and videos led me to buy GOT. When it came in i thought it was the most sparse un-packed game i'd ever seen. Thought i made a mistake. Turns out the game is fun and strategic as hell and has been in my collection 1 1/2 years+. Had a packed WOZ next to it for awhile which is great; but theme, sounds, scoring elements do matter to me and WOZ is long gone.
So back on topic to SW vs DI; the first thing is price $5400 vs $8k. Next thing is action, strategy, excitement, and fun. To me Dialed In looks like well oiled, well playing RBION (not necesarrily the layout but..) Great Rules, Great Flow, Great Code, but lacks the X factor of excitement, action, sound and fun. SW pro looks to have those added elements that so many of us disregard but is missing the packed playfield elements. More isnt always better. But, i digress; I will hold off final judgement til i play both which should be in the next week or 2 as the location 2 hours from me will be having both soon and i plan to make the commute to give both a whirl.
Bottom line, from my observations; if you like a game that looks packed and value is shown on the outside > Go DI. If you want a game thats exciting and action packed with strategies where value is hidden behind the scenes > go SW.

Totally agree with this. That is my biggest concern about DI, is the excitement level. It looks fun, but I do like adrenaline pumping gameplay and I'm not sure di has that. It looks fun though, and that's big. SW has potential for the adrenaline rush. Like you said, it's too early to tell.

#83 6 years ago

Lots of us are buying SW premium which is missing from the poll.

#84 6 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Lots of us are buying SW premium which is missing from the poll.

Well, nobody has played that yet. Pretty much impossible to judge so far.

#85 6 years ago

I am yet to play either, but on theme alone in the year 2017 Dialed In wins hands down.

I'd imagine it is probably the better built game of the two as well.

#86 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Well, nobody has played that yet. Pretty much impossible to judge so far.

And your point is? No one has seen of played SW LE yet either.

#87 6 years ago

Ya definitely too early for a poll. I just wanted to add it for fun and see. Sounds like SW pro now and dialed in used at a later date. Best of both worlds.

Now all we are missing from this thread is rarehero rambling on about how ghost busters sucks and the Hobbit rules

#88 6 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

And your point is? No one has seen of played SW LE yet either.

I think most people already know the Le/premium will pretty much be the same as pro but with balls constantly circling around a loop(which is cool imo). The pro on this one really tells the story I'm guessing. If we're all hoping for a huge gameplay difference on the Le/premium, we'll be disappointed.

#89 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

That's a fair assessment I'd say. I've got probably 50-60 games in on DI now and I do enjoy it and think it's a great game but it doesn't offer as much strategy, risk reward, or adrenaline inducing excitement that some of the modern Stern games offer. It probably is the first game in nearly 20 years though that made me truly feel like I was playing a modern day WPC game. To me the game feels like a modern day TAF, TZ, NGG or Roadshow. If you enjoy those games like I do and have put hundreds or even thousands of games on them there really aren't any other modern alternatives that really give you that feeling. yes, none of these games offers quite the rush of cashing in a huge "x" jackpot in TWD or song jackpot in ACDC but they all have a charm and quirkiness to them that modern Stern games lack. I enjoy both styles of play. In fact TWD is my favorite game of all time and I generally prefer the more modern day games with risk/reward rule-sets over the games of old. But there is still a place in my heart for quirky/unique 90's games with original themes and layouts for which Dialed In fits the bill.

As far as Dialed In vs. Star Wars for me it comes down to price. All the Dialed In versions and Star Wars LE and Premium are priced above what I feel comfortable spending on a game so by default my answer is SW Pro I guess. if price wasn't a concern and someone was going to give me a game on the condition that I would never sell it I would go DILE without question.

#90 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

balls constantly circling around a loop(which is cool imo).

Like Hurricane, with a ramp right over the front of the flippers. except metal in this case. I was never a fan of that ramp on Hurricane. Just in the way of view.

#91 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Like Hurricane, with a ramp right over the front of the flippers. except metal in this case. I was never a fan of that ramp on Hurricane. Just in the way of view.

I was never a fan of Hurricane. Period.

The best ramp to pull off the loop underneath is the one on The Flintstones. Absolutely perfectly done with the diverter and everything.

#92 6 years ago

The answer is BOTH

#93 6 years ago

I haven't seen the original SW trilogy in a while but in all my memories of those films the hyper drive really isn't in any of them, would much rather have had the upgrade to the Pre/Le be a Jabba bash toy or Darth or better yet both, wheres the Emperor? still happy with the layout and looking forward to playing my Pro, which might be tomorow.

#94 6 years ago

I was the first to play DI at Marvin's in Farmington Hills, MI right after it was set up. Before playing it, I thought that the theme was ridiculous beyond words. And while I'm still not crazy about the theme, after playing the game, I really, really liked the way it played. In fact, I'm going to give it the highest praise that I possibly can. IT'S THE GAME THAT W/B WOULD HAVE MADE IF THEY WERE STILL MAKING PINBALL MACHINES TODAY!!

And from a decent sample size of the hobby in this poll, in the race between DI and SW, it's like the Tortoise and the Hare. SW shouldn't even have to try based on its theme. Stern sat on its haunches with this one and DI is blowing right past it.

#95 6 years ago

If I was paying US prices I would pick DI. But a DI standard costs me about 14-15k once I get it imported while a SW pro costs about 10k. So, SW pro for me. I can't justify the extra cash for DI. Pains me to do this TBH and I hope stern quality doesn't make me regret it.

#96 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I haven't seen the original SW trilogy in a while but in all my memories of those films the hyper drive really isn't in any of them

??? Half the time spent on the Millennium Falcon is Han/Lando trying to get the hyperdrive working after it's either broken or been disabled.

Hyperspace_falcon (resized).pngHyperspace_falcon (resized).png

#97 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I think Sterns lack of commitment to code and build quality are starting to show in consumers purchasing habits at this point. I will hang on to my Metallica and Ghostbusters for now, but everything else that is stern is gone. I am buying my first JJP (Dialed in) and will have it next week. I know I am getting a quality build, great customer service, and commitment to complete code. I can't keep spending $6-$8K on games with no guarantee of complete code or build quality. I will probably look to add a WOZ down the road and will be interested in a AFMr or whatever CGC decides to put out next.

#98 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

??? Half the time spent on the Millennium Falcon is Han/Lando trying to get the hyperdrive working after it's either broken or been disabled.

Yeah I remember that but its not really what stuck with me from 3 of the biggest films from my childhood is all I'm saying, now the weird creature that ends up being "no cave" or the toothy sandy monster in Jedi, the garbage compactor scene and Luke losing his hand or the snow beast, Han being trapped in carbonite, Jabbas lair etc. they are imprinted on my brain. I'm not saying the hyper drive thing isn't going to be great I have no idea but the hyper drive isn't exactly warp speed. Oh no, I'm a geek.

#99 6 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

I can't keep spending $6-$8K on games with no guarantee of complete code or build quality.

I'm with you there. I think Stern is on a strict wait and see rule for me at this point in time. I'll wait until the game has been out for a little while and make sure the playfields and cabinets are not falling apart, as well as the code does not get abandoned before I purchase. It does appear that CGC and JJP are at least putting out quality products, though I've not been a fan of JJP themes so far. I'm hoping the new owners of heighway will ensure the same for their games.

#100 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

so the PRO is broken or disabled?? LOL!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 250.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
$ 9.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 10.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
7,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Carlisle, PA
There are 558 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-wars-or-dialed-in/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.