DI-toy2 (resized).jpg
IMG_3777 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20170717-081114 (resized).jpg
0-9xvLTTK5EFEBnGG5 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20170716-214452 (resized).jpg
IMG_3902 (resized).JPG
IMG_3897 (resized).JPG
IMG_0422 (resized).PNG

There are 558 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 12.
#451 6 years ago

Star Wars L.E all the way, Dialed In is very cool though

#452 6 years ago

Star Wars Pro

#453 6 years ago

If you want a total adrenaline rush, get SW. If you want your picture taken and to play pinball from your cell phone, get DI.

(I think they're both great games...just a lot of unnecessary gimmicks on DI, IMO.)

#454 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

If you want a total adrenaline rush, get SW. If you want your picture taken and to play pinball from your cell phone, get DI.
(I think they're both great games...just a lot of unnecessary gimmicks on DI, IMO.)

DI is the smoothest silkiest pins ever released. Technically it's essentially unbeatable layout and feel. Unless you're a die hard sw guy, I can't see how anyone can recommend that game over DI. The complete lack of creativity and effort in the new sw is baffling. Now I understand price is different but if we're just comparing the two it's like comparing McDonald's to a hamburger from a steakhouse.

#455 6 years ago

Star Wars is kind of a one-shot game - max out multipliers, death star hurry-up, get one billion points. Repeat.

Not sure it has the staying power.

#456 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

This sums it up for me in a nutshell: well stated.

Star Wars is an amazing theme, with silky smooth shots which flow into wonderful combos. High, high energy gameplay and yet you're immersed into a soothing escape from reality.

Dialed-In with the cel phones, drones, emojis, selfies, etc..... that embodies everything I want to escape FROM! The last thing I want to do when I go home and play pinball is stare at a dang cel phone, or deal with any of those things. It's literally the exact opposite of what I want in a pinball machine theme. I have WAY too much cel phone ringing in my life, way too much of all those things.

Give me Star Wars, all day, every day over Dialed-In. DI may actually be, for me, the worst theme in modern pinball.

#457 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

and not nearly enough on SW...DI is really a well designed game, but yes a few unnecessary gimmicks....its like comparing a Ferrari to a Kia with a turbo installed....

#458 6 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

This sums it up for me in a nutshell: well stated.
Star Wars is an amazing theme, with silky smooth shots which flow into wonderful combos. High, high energy gameplay and yet you're immersed into a soothing escape from reality.
Dialed-In with the cel phones, drones, emojis, selfies, etc..... that embodies everything I want to escape FROM! The last thing I want to do when I go home and play pinball is stare at a dang cel phone, or deal with any of those things. It's literally the exact opposite of what I want in a pinball machine theme. I have WAY too much cel phone ringing in my life, way too much of all those things.
Give me Star Wars, all day, every day over Dialed-In. DI may actually be, for me, the worst theme in modern pinball.

Sorry to hear you are so burdened and bothered by modern life.
Sorry to hear you feel you need to ESCAPE from the constant ringing of phones.
Sorry to hear it bothers you SO MUCH, that it has unfortunately RUINED for you what is actually just a GREAT modern game of pinball!

In actuality, you CAN'T really 'escape' these things by simply going home.
We no longer live WITH technology IN our lives anymore.
We now live our lives WITHIN the framework OF technology.

If you truly want to ESCAPE, you probably need to get off Pinside and retreat to a lonely cabin in the woods somewhere.
Just sayin'.

#459 6 years ago

It's the modern collector. Theme over gameplay. Get used to it. There's no arguing against it.

#460 6 years ago
Quoted from moonduckie78:

Sorry to hear you are so burdened and bothered by modern life.
Sorry to hear you feel you need to ESCAPE from the constant ringing of phones.
Sorry to hear it bothers you SO MUCH, that it has unfortunately RUINED for you what is actually just a GREAT modern game of pinball!
In actuality, you CAN'T really 'escape' these things by simply going home.
We no longer live WITH technology IN our lives anymore.
We now live our lives WITHIN the framework OF technology.
If you truly want to ESCAPE, you probably need to get off Pinside and retreat to a lonely cabin in the woods somewhere.
Just sayin'.

True. I'm looking forward to the next theme from JJP. It's going to be called Oil Change! The follow-up theme planned early next year is being workshopped as Income Tax, just in time for tax season! Slam dunk! Can't wait!

Let's embrace all the parts of the modern world we can't escape and cram them all inside our pinball machines!!

#461 6 years ago

Dialed In is not a theme about cell phones. For crying out loud. It's a disaster game, like past Lawlor games.

#462 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

It's the modern collector. Theme over gameplay. Get used to it. There's no arguing against it.

Bought my first new pinball in 1997. And actually, I don't find a sacrifice to gameplay for theme with Star Wars. I find both incredible!

I just despise the Dialed-In theme. The art, the gadgets, the cel phones ringing, selfies, drones, etc. It's like someone said before. It's like a Grandpa thought "Hmmm, let me try to make a modern game and relate to kids and cram every piece of irritating modern tech into the game. Yeah, that'll be a great!!"

#463 6 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

It's like a Grandpa thought "Hmmm, let me try to make a modern game and relate to kids and cram every piece of irritating modern tech into the game. Yeah, that'll be a great!!"

I don't want to get into an argument about it with you, and I SORT OF get where you're coming from, but your statements continue to merely make you come across AS the grandpa.....the grandpa who is just angry, confused by, and BITTER about, progress and modern technology. Seriously.

What EXACTLY do you find so IRRITATING about EMOJIS, for chrissakes?!?! LOL. I'd love to hear!

#464 6 years ago

Funny thing is, the drones, emoji, and selfies actually are a big draw to kids. You want to see a kid laugh playing pinball? Take a look at them when they get into the selfie mode. It never fails to please them.

#465 6 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

and not nearly enough on SW...DI is really a well designed game, but yes a few unnecessary gimmicks....its like comparing a Ferrari to a Kia with a turbo installed....

Well, you're right about Star Wars being fast like a Ferrari, but I wouldn't compare DI to a Kia...

#466 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Funny thing is, the drones, emoji, and selfies actually are a big draw to kids. You want to see a kid laugh playing pinball? Take a look at them when they get into the selfie mode. It never fails to please them.

Well, there you go, then. I lock the grandkids on the other side of the house so they don't f**k up my machines. They get to play the unrestored C37.

#467 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Dialed In is not a theme about cell phones. For crying out loud. It's a disaster game, like past Lawlor games.

Ok. Its not a theme about cell phones.

But the modes include:

- Power up the dialed in quantum effects phone and use it to access powerful features
- Hit the electric company moving sign to power up the phone
- Once the phone is powered up, visit the phone to dial and find out what strange effect the phone will have on Quantum City
- Attack - Dialed in electronics wants its phone back. Watch out for the phone company!
- Wave at the camera!
- Crazy emojo overload
- Crazy selfie mode
- Crazy lottery frenzie
- Sim Cards

#468 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Gameplay in SW is awesome. The gameplay in DI is awesome as well.

Theme in SW is awesome...even without the gimmicks or tons of plastic stuff that does nothing. Theme in DI? Not so much.

Therefore, SW>DI.

But again, I'm splitting hairs here...BOTH ARE AMAZING GAMES!!!

#469 6 years ago

It seems a lot of people really haven't played DI, or played it very little. In the last year I spent 48 days of talk time on my cell, so I know about trying to escape from the phone. However, Even though DI has emojis (i don't care for them) and selfies (I don't care for them), I barely ever noticed them. It is probably .3% of the whole game, and to judge it off those two things, and not the game itself seems crazy.

I'm happy that people like SW, but for me, i didn't enjoy it. I think the people who dislike it, like myself, are more dissappointed about what could've been, as it was instant buy for me. If they had put the same effort into SW as they did on the GB playfield, I don't think we would be hearing near this many complaints.

#470 6 years ago

I don't want to get into an argument about it with you, and I SORT OF get where you're coming from, but your statements continue to merely make you come across AS the grandpa.....the grandpa who is just angry, confused by, and BITTER about, progress and modern technology. Seriously.
What EXACTLY do you find so IRRITATING about EMOJIS, for chrissakes?!?! LOL. I'd love to hear!

Its 2017, not 1990....Its called innovation...I get old school mentality, but at some point the technology should adapt...JJP has done a great job of that....

#471 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Well, you're right about Star Wars being fast like a Ferrari, but I wouldn't compare DI to a Kia...

Ha...I have both, and u really can't compare the two....very different games...that being said I stand by my SW LE Kia comment...pretty fun, decent graphics, fast, but not much under the hood, and balance of the machine is cheap....not so with DI LE...even u can't deny that? By the way I let my kids, neighbors kids play all my games all the time....why else have them? Adults are harder on games than any of the kids.

#472 6 years ago

DI>SW pro>SW prem>sw LE. All things considered.

Then again, what do I know, I think avengers and transformers are great games.

#473 6 years ago

The only thing irritating is they don't use the poop emoji, which of course, is superior to all other emojis.

#474 6 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

The only thing irritating is they don't use the poop emoji, which of course, is superior to all other emojis.

My kids would love that!

#475 6 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

My kids would love that!

I know right? HOW is this left out?

#476 6 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

This for sure needs to be added into the code!!! But has to be subtle, like one poop for every 10 faces. Needs an option to turn on/off in adjustments too.

#477 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

but I wouldn't compare DI to a Kia...

Kia's cost less.

#478 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

one poop for every 10 faces

The odds are good, but the goods are odd.

#479 6 years ago

IMG_2636 (resized).jpgIMG_2636 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#480 6 years ago

Curious now that owners have had more time on these two machines, which one would you pick now between SW premium and DILE?

#481 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

DI is the smoothest silkiest pins ever released. Technically it's essentially unbeatable layout and feel. Unless you're a die hard sw guy, I can't see how anyone can recommend that game over DI.

Like this, I recommend SW over DI, DI is a great playing pin but the theme and gimmicks are terrible, SW is pure pinball bliss, fast with amazing A/V and good code.

#482 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Theme is part of the gameplay, it affects the kind of music that's played, the callouts, the connection one can feel with the game, who are you "Tommy"? because that's the only way ur comment makes any sense, would you buy a "Magic Mike" pin if the gameplay was great?

magic-mike (resized).jpgmagic-mike (resized).jpg

#483 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Like this, I recommend SW over DI, DI is a great playing pin but the theme and gimmicks are terrible, SW is pure pinball bliss, fast with amazing A/V and good code.

I'd disagree. SW PREM gimmicks are terrible. Brick'ing hyperdrive, forks that kill flow and block the hoth shot. Say what you will about the DI theme but it feels more like a pinball theme than SW as its integrated 10X better and designed specifically for pinball. The custom call outs on SW are rancid.

SW PREM vs DI - DI wins hands down. Now if you compare it to the pro model with better gameplay than it's premium predecessor and add price into the factor in that you can get an NIB SW PRO + sub $3-4K game for the price, then that wins over DI IMO.

#484 6 years ago

After playing them both some more, SW doesn't hold a candle to dialed in. Not that star wars is terrible, it's just that DI is superb. It's almost not even a fair question to ask.

#485 6 years ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

After playing them both some more, SW doesn't hold a candle to dialed in. Not that star wars is terrible, it's just that DI is superb. It's almost not even a fair question to ask.

Agreed, not even close. DI is a masterpiece while SW is has good flow and a good theme, that is about it though.

#486 6 years ago

Not even close (SW is not even in the same league and is no question a flop considering the franchise it's leveraging). On top of that you have Hazoff defending SW so that pretty much ends the debate on it even having a case ; )

#487 6 years ago

Yea the theme is original and quirky but thats y the game is phenomenal ... it has great flow, lots of shots, lots toys , great code, tons magnets that do alot, one the best lightshows ever imo and the game just clicks on all levels once u understand what pat was going for.

#488 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Not even close (SW is not even in the same league and is no question a flop considering the franchise it's leveraging). On top of that you have Hazoff defending SW so that pretty much ends the debate on it even having a case ; )

Thank you very much

#489 6 years ago

Not sure if I already wrote this but Bloomingdale's here in NY had both machines on free play for 6 weeks or so. The DI had some issues and was sometimes not playable, while SW never had issues, but I always gravitated towards DI (and I'm a star wars fan).

I can't quantity it but DI was just more fun and kept me coming back.

#490 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Not even close (SW is not even in the same league and is no question a flop considering the franchise it's leveraging).

Oh so ur the new authority on whats a flop and when one game isn't even close to another, or is this like when you came into the Alien thread to announce how you were 1st in line and had spoken to the gods who reassured you first dibs, how that work out for ya?

#491 6 years ago

Does DI give that epic and exciting game play? It looks fun, but the sounds and music don't seem to get very intense. Haven't played it, only watched a ton of video.

#492 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Does DI give that epic and exciting game play?

SW does it much better but they are very different games.

#493 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Does DI give that epic and exciting game play? It looks fun, but the sounds and music don't seem to get very intense. Haven't played it, only watched a ton of video.

Its very fun and a great rush trying to beat the modes and hit sim shot. Also the mb is crazy with all the magnets. Then trying to advance to the 3 wizard/mini wizard modes is very challenging also. Game has it all imo and is only game i play now ...even with some great pins in my collection. Best lightshow and smoothest gameplay in my experience.

#494 6 years ago

I've played SW Pro about 40 times (SW LE twice) and Dialed IN LE about 10 times.

First impressions of SW Pro were great. Well lit, love the PF colour, smooth ramp shots. Fantastic large screen integration, small screen too with latest code. This game is fast! Button mashing nice touch. Move, on/off multiplier option unique. Layout didn't seem inspired - left orbit, right orbit, left ramp (a gimme shot), right ramp, horseshoe with forks, one vuk, 5 drop bank, 3 standup back - sprinkling of small standups, standard inlane/outlane. I like SW as a theme, although I'm not a major fan (ST for me) but I love space themes. First impression still holds and I certainly could see this game, the Pro, in my collection.

First impressions of DI were, umm... I was unsure. I only played it twice at a tournament (waited two months to play it again) - and I wasn't sure if I liked it, but from the get-go, it was clear to me a lot of thought went into this game. Shot layout is not cookie cutter. As I played more, I saw that some shots were variable (left orbit or trap door ball capture, left ramp to left flipper or diverted to pops), and the third flipper has a ton of shots, in addition to the side ramp. Add in a couple of magnets, variable flipper strength (mb attacks), moving target, holo theatre toy, real kickback... new impression now: I *want* this game in my collection.

SW Pro showed me most of what it can offer in the first few games. It's a wonderful, fast shooter. You dive right in from ball 1. DI grows on you, and I've found shot integration to be brilliant.

Theme attracts you to a game, gameplay keeps you there. The games are quite different. I like both styles (see my collection). The choice (always) comes down to personal preference.

For me, between SW PRO and DI LE/CE - Dialed IN all the way.

#495 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Well, there you go, then. I lock the grandkids on the other side of the house so they don't f**k up my machines. They get to play the unrestored C37.

wow thats a little harsh...I have a decent collection, and let my kids, their friends, and all the neighbors play my games all the times....I think adults are harder on machines than kids....my biggest complaint is sometimes they get frustrated and walk away after 2 balls

#496 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

SW does it much better but they are very different games.

To each their own, but in my opinion your way off...DI LE is probably 10X the machine my SW LE is....SW is fun, but its not in the same league as DI....I only bought the over priced machine because my kids wanted it....have u even played one? do you own any JJP machines or do you hide your collection, because you secretly work for Stern

#497 6 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

To each their own, but in my opinion your way off...DI LE is probably 10X the machine my SW LE is....SW is fun, but its not in the same league as DI....I only bought the over priced machine because my kids wanted it....have u even played one? do you own any JJP machines or do you hide your collection, because you secretly work for Stern

No I hide it because if you can believe it some pinsiders took time to look into my collection and ratings in a feeble attempt to rebut my opinions, and that is lame on a level I'm not familiar with, no doubt DI is amazing, I can't connect with it because I'm a theme whore, I'll admit that, Superjackpot gave a well thought and respectful review with reasons why he prefers DI, I think thats great and agree with him on many points, but why did you have to say "10x the machine" its not, those are the comments that will set people off. I have played plenty of DI and WOZ, almost bought TH and am genuinely looking forward to owning a JJP machine, POTC and TStory aren't for me and if I had to take one now it would be DI by a wide margin, I still enjoy the style of Stern's gameplay the most, was never really a Plawlor fan and have always gravitated towards more of an open PF style game, AFM, IM, SW but I don't think DI is any better than SW its different but for me its not the second coming, I don't really like the look of POTC, not into the ramp style, not into mini PF's, GOT pro for me is better than MM, that's sounds ridiculous I know but its true. I'm just really sick and tired of the Stern bashing and the overly enthusiastic comparisons, but then again I don't care and I like to aggravate people so it all works out in the end. Oh Yeah

#498 6 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I've never understood why people hide their collection and machine ratings from others. What's the point? I can understand hiding your location if you are private in that regard, but hiding everything else makes no sense to me, this is a pinball forum, I am always curious about others collections and how they rate their pins.

#499 6 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

I've never understood why people hide their collection and machine ratings from others.

Hopefully you never do.

#500 6 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

wow thats a little harsh...I have a decent collection, and let my kids, their friends, and all the neighbors play my games all the times....I think adults are harder on machines than kids....my biggest complaint is sometimes they get frustrated and walk away after 2 balls

Talk to me when your 2-year-old grandson climbs up on your $300 PDI glass on your HEP IJ....and that's AFTER he pulls the key fob off and attempts to knock over your Stratocaster. Why don't I just give him a Sharpie and suggest he sign the cabinet? F him...I'll let him in when he's old enough to understand what a dick he is.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods
Backbox
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk
Protection
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
Machine - For Sale
Carl Junction, MO
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball
Boards
Flipper Parts
FlipMods
Flipper parts
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 4,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place
Pinball Machine
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball
Electronics
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios
Other
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 558 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-wars-or-dialed-in/page/10?hl=hawks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.