• Star wars le 104 votes
    18%
  • Dialed in se 148 votes
    25%
  • Dialed in le 273 votes
    47%

(587 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 22 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screenshot_20171106-115949 (resized).png
IMG_3256 (resized).jpg
magic-mike (resized).jpg
IMG_2636 (resized).jpg
Star-Wars-exhibition (resized).jpg
vs (resized).JPG
Stern-StarWars-Pro-Detail (resized).jpg
20170623_202729 (resized).jpg
DI-toy2 (resized).jpg
IMG_3777 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20170717-081114 (resized).jpg
0-9xvLTTK5EFEBnGG5 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20170716-214452 (resized).jpg
IMG_3902 (resized).JPG
IMG_3897 (resized).JPG
IMG_0422 (resized).PNG

There are 558 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 12.
#1 1 year ago

There I did it. I started a dialed in or star wars thread. Not trying to start a war between the two because I'm pretty sure most people think both games are awesome. I'm stuck between getting a star wars pro or dialed in le/se.(gameplay is same not sure if I need extra bling yet). What do you guys think? Is dialed in worth the extra 3000 or so dollars? I added a poll for fun.

#2 1 year ago

I dont know how this is a choice. DI is packed with stuff. SW is stripped down. The value can be seen in DI.

#3 1 year ago

I want both...
and Alien
and AFMr

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

I dont know how this is a choice. DI is packed with stuff. SW is stripped down. The value can be seen in DI.

Ya definitely has more in it but 3000 dollars is also alot of extra money and I did have fun on that SW pro at pintastic.

#5 1 year ago

The OP is my hero. While I bet this thread is going to go off the rails in record time, I actually think this is a legit topic because I'm in a similar spot.

My $0.02 is that if you think you'd be happy with the SW pro then go that route. You'll be keeping a lot of powder dry and can pick up a DI on the secondary market down the road (I've actually already seen one for sale). To me, it's a much tougher question if you feel like you'd want the SW pre or LE vs. a DI because then your costs are pretty comparable.

Whatever you do, I bet you'll be happy with your choice. Good luck.

#7 1 year ago

Interesting, but I'm wondering between AFMr and SW either pro or premium.

Most likely I'll have answer after expo. DI is above my budget.

#8 1 year ago

Dialed In is not $3300 more. SW Pro cannot be compared to any Dialed In model, they are on different levels.

Now a Dialed In standard vs a SW premium is a more fair comparison. A Dialed In standard would be $600 more on average over a SW Premium.

A Dialed In LE vs a SW LE would be $500-$600 more on average.

You are going to get far more game, features and value with either Dialed In model for about $500 more over either SW Premium / LE.

Star Wars LE doesnt event come with a real backglass or a shaker motor. A Dialed In standard does. At the LE level Dialed In comes with invisiglass where Stern is not including their new HD anti-reflective glass with SW LE, no shaker motor and not even a real backglass...Add HD glass and a shaker motor to Star Wars LE and the price difference versus a Dialed In LE is around $100.

Then there's the higher build quality of Dialed In over Star Wars, the better code support, the higher quality powder powder coat, more interactive features on the playfield, etc.

My goodness. Star Wars looks cool and fun but damn is Stern taking people for a ride when you see what the competition is offering for another $500.

#9 1 year ago

I agree the better comparison by far is SW LE/premium to DI. This is the same question I've been asking myself. I really want to like SW more, but it's hard to at this point. Maybe it's fun, but there are a lot of mixed reviews from guys that played it. I'm also concerned if it will get old fast with limited variety on playfield. The sounds and LCD carry this game, but for how long? If you personally had fun on the pro, then that's maybe the way to go and save the $3000+. I find myself more excited about the idea of DI, but am having trouble justifying the cost. As for SW, I have zero interest in the pro. It's just too bare. I am considering the premium at this point vs di Le. I will be following this thread, as I'm interested to hear from guys that PLAYED both.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Dialed In is not $3300 more. SW Pro cannot be compared to any Dialed In model, they are on different levels.
Now a Dialed In standard vs a SW premium is a more fair comparison. A Dialed In standard would be $600 more on average over a SW Premium.
You are going to get far more game, features and value with either Dialed In model for about $500 more over either SW Premium / LE.
Star Wars LE doesnt event come with a real backglass or a shaker motor. A Dialed In standard does. At the LE level Dialed In comes with invisiglass where Stern is not including their new HD anti-reflective glass with SW LE, no shaker motor and not even a real backglass...
Then there's the higher build quality of Dialed In over Star Wars, the better code support, the higher quality powder powder coat, more interactive features on the playfield, etc.
My goodness. Star Wars looks cool and fun but damn is Stern taking people for a ride when you see what the competition is offering for another $500.

Don't you need to factor in Shipping for the JJP games which makes the difference >$500? Star Wars Premium is $7300 shipped to your door vs. Dialed Standard in which is $8K plus shipping which makes the difference closer to ~$1000. Or is JJP now giving deals and including shipping/discounts?

#11 1 year ago

SW PRO + $3k game.

But we haven't seen a SW PREM yet.

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Don't you need to factor in Shipping for the JJP games which makes the difference >$500? Star Wars Premium is $7300 shipped to your door vs. Dialed Standard in which is $8K plus shipping which makes the difference closer to ~$1000. Or is JJP now giving deals and including shipping/discounts?

I found a distributor that shipped it for$9k. I'm a past customer however, so I'm sure other distributors can ship at $9k also

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Star Wars LE doesnt event come with a real backglass or a shaker motor. A Dialed In standard does. At the LE level Dialed In comes with invisiglass where Stern is not including their new HD anti-reflective glass with SW LE, no shaker motor and not even a real backglass...Add HD glass and a shaker motor to Star Wars LE and the price difference versus a Dialed In LE is around $100.

I understand the price difference and that the le is closer to dise but as far as 'value' goes the SW pro is untouchable. So for me I would rather have the pro the the sw le. That's why it makes it a tough choice when you need to pay almost 60 percent more

#14 1 year ago

The poll needs a "both" button.

Different games... DI is unique, SW is a "classic" licenced game.

Are you playing on keeping the games long term? DI LE/CE may hold value longer than similar SW models, make your own guess.

Want to flip quickly? Chances are you'll get you money out of a SW for the next year easily as there should be great "non-pinball" buyers out there willing to pick it up.

#15 1 year ago

SW pro....deeper code with more strategy, faster, cheaper by alot, classic theme. no brainer for me

Also wont lose a grand or more if i try to sell like DI will in few months

#16 1 year ago

Own both...

There is ZERO comparison.

Dialed in, ANY model is the better value.

SWpro is for you if you are only concerned about theme or need to stay under 5400.

If money is not an issue for you then this is not even remotely a comparison.
If money is an issue then the choice is already made for you.

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from xizor:

The poll needs a "both" button.
Different games... DI is unique, SW is a "classic" licenced game.
Are you playing on keeping the games long term? DI LE/CE may hold value longer than similar SW models, make your own guess.
Want to flip quickly? Chances are you'll get you money out of a SW for the next year easily as there should be great "non-pinball" buyers out there willing to pick it up.

I will probably keep SW at least a year. Dialed in a few years at least to justify the bigger cost.

Edit: I owed acdc pro and loved it but layout got old after 6 months. SW code seems deeper though

#18 1 year ago

Both are fun games but I would get a star wars premium because the pro is very stripped down and the SW le doesn't really have any extra value to make it worth it. For some reason I just don't like dialed in that much it is a very cool looking game but I just cannot like It i don't know why.

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from indybru:

Interesting, but I'm wondering between AFMr and SW either pro or premium.
Most likely I'll have answer after expo. DI is above my budget.

Played both at Pintastic, went with AFMr LE over SW Pro/Prem.

SW Pro just seemed so starkly barren, though it was fast. I figure I'll let the SW Prems ship before forming a revised opinion. Geuessing these will be around and available for a while

AMFr was exactly what I was looking for in theme, playability & fun. So happy to have had a chance to play at Pintastic!

#20 1 year ago

would you rather play with bob the builder or live within the star wars galaxy is the real question?

#21 1 year ago
Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

would you rather play with bob the builder or live within the star wars galaxy is the real question?

Haha. Love star wars and had fun in the 2 games I played but I just don't want to get sick of the layout after a month. I love dialed ins layout but the price is hard to swallow. Everyone says it's an easy choice with dialed in but the extra money I save could go to other (important) things.

#22 1 year ago

I would rather play in armagedon personally, but then again I like non-licensed themes with imagination and new storylines rather than 30year old storylines.

As far as gameplay, I think they will both be fun in the long term. I also put theme VERY low on my list of things to think about when buying a game for personal use.

#23 1 year ago

I have to abstain from voting as neither SW or DI have really excited me so far.

Houdini is a different matter though and I'm looking forward to its release!

#24 1 year ago

if jjp 4 around the corner is a must have...you may see some smokin deals on these titles in 6 mo.

Or it may be jjp 4 that you will desire the most of all and will be glad you waited...

#25 1 year ago

Lastability in a home environment is my big concern. SW layout is obviously fast, but that doesn't make it fun, or a long lasting pin either. I personally think fast and flow are over used terms and over rated. The rules, sounds and clips are the only thing SW has going. If it was ANY other theme, people would look elsewhere. That said, I'm still considering a premium, but I do think DI looks more interesting. Op, buy the one you like most. If DI is your choice, don't let the price sway you. JJP games are a treat to own IMO. Probably can't afford them all, but it's nice to have one.

#26 1 year ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Dialed in, ANY model is the better value.

Are you speaking in terms of earnings? If so, we won't know until we see which game pays itself off faster. I'd be interested in that if you are willing to share with us. I say less than a year for SW and more than a year for DI

#27 1 year ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Lastability in a home environment is my big concern. SW layout is obviously fast, but that doesn't make it fun, or a long lasting pin either. I personally think fast and flow are over used terms and over rated. The rules, sounds and clips are the only thing SW has going. If it was ANY other theme, people would look elsewhere. That said, I'm still considering a premium, but I do think DI looks more interesting. Op, buy the one you like most. If DI is your choice, don't let the price sway you. JJP games are a treat to own IMO. Probably can't afford them all, but it's nice to have one.

Ya all true. I have a lotr so sw would be a breath of fresh air with the shorter faster games. Too many tough choices which is awesome!

#28 1 year ago

c2c (resized).jpg

#29 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Are you speaking in terms of earnings? If so, we won't know until we see which game pays itself off faster. I'd be interested in that if you are willing to share with us. I say less than a year for SW and more than a year for DI

no, I am speaking from the home perspective.

DI has much more to it and more in the game. Value perspective based on what each game has to physically offer. SW is a baren game with hardly any player interaction and imersion is based all on the iconic theme. DI is the opposite end of the spectrum for sure.

As for pay-off, I would love to find ANY game that can pay itself off in under 3 years. I think the days of 1 year payoff left in the 90s.

If you take the full equation of cost at start and then minus split of coin drop post taxes/upkeep minus resale value of the machine then I can guess it will be VERY close between the 2 games. 1 has iconic casual player theme. The other has bling that draws you in. Code will be the final answer. They will both do well the first 3 months. Then months 3-6 we will start to see the winner. By moth 12 it will be obvious.

I wont share any actual number, but I would be happy to tell you in 12 months time which one wins the equation. My gut tells me DI, but that will depend on how it holds for resale value as it is obviously the more expensive game. I can tell you from experience that I would be very gun shy on ever buying a Stern Premium for route in the future. We have tried that experiement and the PRO wins.

edit to add: the other less measurable but obvious for anyone operating is the coin drop impact on the neighboring games when bringing in something new. DI has a much bigger draw to a location that SW ever will (SW will be like GB and there will be 4-5 in our small town in a matter of months is my prediction). That draw of DI to the location means the neighboring games will see an increased drop also. In other words the coin drop of DI will actually have a longer reach.

#30 1 year ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I can tell you from experience that I would be very gun shy on ever buying a Stern Premium for route in the future. We have tried that experiement and the PRO wins.

In my area Pro wins as well.

#31 1 year ago

It's going to be a few months before we can really answer this. First, code on Star Wars has a lot of maturing left to do. Secondly, we'll need to see the premium/LE versions of Star Wars in action to figure out if that or the pro is going to be the preferred model. When I reference Game of Thrones, I'm talking about the pro. When I bring up AC/DC, I assume everybody imagines the premium. We don't know what model of Star Wars will be the one to point to.

I've yet to play a Star Wars, but what I've seen hasn't riled me up and got me very excited. I am really eager to play it, but don't feel pressured to make space in the lineup or put any money down. I do, however, have a Dialed In coming. From what I've played on it, it feels like a real winner.

Best case scenario would be that both are fantastic games and this question always remains difficult to answer.

#32 1 year ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

As for pay-off, I would love to find ANY game that can pay itself off in under 3 years. I think the days of 1 year payoff left in the 90s.

That all depends on your location.

#33 1 year ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

I want both...
and Alien
and AFMr

those are the same four games that I want ....I only can choose one (for now)

#34 1 year ago
Quoted from smokedog:

That all depends on your location.

Absolutely. That's regular occurance here in cincinnati on some titles at some locations.

#35 1 year ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

Haha. Love star wars and had fun in the 2 games I played but I just don't want to get sick of the layout after a month. I love dialed ins layout but the price is hard to swallow. Everyone says it's an easy choice with dialed in but the extra money I save could go to other (important) things.

So why even buy a NEW pin then? Buy a couple used ones for the money.

#36 1 year ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I found a distributor that shipped it for$9k. I'm a past customer however, so I'm sure other distributors can ship at $9k also

I've heard DILE shipped at $8500

#37 1 year ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

If want a DI wait and buy it down the road when the Nibbers start dumping it for something else

THLEs are going for $6500-$7000 now

Buy the SW pro now, have fun, sell it later and buy DI MUCH cheaper

#38 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

If want a DI wait and buy it down the road when the Nibbers start dumping it for something else
THLEs are going for $6500-$7000 now
Buy the SW pro now, have fun, sell it later and buy DI MUCH cheaper

Yup that seems to be the best way to go about it. Or buy a met pro until SW starts hitting the market used. Too many good choices today

#39 1 year ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

Or buy a met pro until SW starts hitting the market used

you should prob just do that...i mean it's metallica.

#40 1 year ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

There is ZERO comparison.

Sorry but there is definitely a comparison, I agree DI has more stuff on the PF and yeah build quality but SW is super fast with vastly superior sound/sfx too me anyway, and some of us prefer an open PF not too mention theme which is where the zero comparison should apply, don't get me wrong DI is a fine game, after playing quite a bit and seeing the final wizard mode in action which was impressive I'm still not buying it, SW has a lot more to offer me and many others, can't we just be happy to have both games, pinside is horseshit some times.

#41 1 year ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

SW pro....deeper code with more strategy, faster, cheaper by alot, classic theme. no brainer for me
Also wont lose a grand or more if i try to sell like DI will in few months

Based on your collection that explains your answer.

#42 1 year ago

Here is my 2 cents. If money is an issue, SW pro all day. No brainer. If money is not an issue, DI (any model) is far better than SW. Good luck on your decision.

#43 1 year ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Here is my 2 cents. If money is an issue, SW pro all day. No brainer. If money is not an issue, DI

Money isn't issue and I'm buying SW pro so please explain, what am I doing wrong?

#44 1 year ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Money isn't issue and I'm buying SW pro so please explain, what am I doing wrong?

you are not doing anything wrong. Different strokes for differnet folks.

Actually on second thought... if money is not an issue then you are doing something wrong. Buy them both dummy

#45 1 year ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Nothing wrong. Isn't my money. I'm just saying the value is there with DI and not with SW. Just my thoughts.

Quoted from Whysnow:

you are not doing anything wrong. Different strokes for differnet folks.
Actually on second thought... if money is not an issue then you are doing something wrong. Buy them both dummy

Exactly. Get a SW pro and a DI standard.

#46 1 year ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

What you're doing wrong is you're trying to argue a point people don't want to argue. Buy what you want. You spend a lot of time justifying why you want Star Wars more than Dialed In. I don't think anybody really cares what you buy, just buy it! Just remember that your choice is personal and it's not everybody's reality.

#47 1 year ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Exactly. Get a SW pro and a DI standard

I'll tell ya DI is just not my style like Tron and AC/DC so many pins, thats my problem I know but I will play DI when I see it, I think the code is great and I like the animations more and more, its the first JJP game I actually like and hopefully they release something in the future I can't get behind, BTTF or Bond or even another original with a better premise, like I said glad that both are out there.

#48 1 year ago
Quoted from jar155:

What you're doing wrong is you're trying to argue a point people don't want to argue. Buy what you want. You spend a lot of time justifying why you want Star Wars more than Dialed In. I don't think anybody really cares what you buy, just buy it! Just remember that your choice is personal and it's not everybody's reality.

Luckily you don't do that right? thank god for ur unbiased and equally balanced arguments. I'm not trying to justify a god damn thing, yeah I'll buy what I want. Thanks

#49 1 year ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Luckily you don't do that right? thank god for ur unbiased and equally balanced arguments. I'm not trying to justify a god damn thing, yeah I'll buy what I want. Thanks

No, I don't justify my purchases to Pinside. I don't really care what the masses think of what I buy or sell. I don't feel the need for their approval on pinball purchases.

If I'm asked an opinion about a game, I'll give it. If I'm asked to compare a game, I'll do that. But when it comes to what I buy, that's my decision and I really am not going to waste time making sure I get a majority approval.

#50 1 year ago
Quoted from jar155:

No, I don't justify my purchases to Pinside. I don't really care what the masses think of what I buy or sell. I don't feel the need for their approval on pinball purchases.

Wow, I stated my opinion in regards to what Whysnow stated, that's not justifying just responding, thats kinda what happens here not sure if you knew that or not, anyway don't care at all, good luck to you sir.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 92.00
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Evansville, IN
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 249.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Great American Pinball
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 26.50
8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Fruitland Park, FL
$ 68.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 15.00
Lighting - Led
3D MODS
$ 279.95
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
There are 558 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 12.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside