Megan (resized).png
article-2257238-16C0F099000005DC-713_634x585 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1169 (resized).PNG
IMG_0930 (resized).png
IMG_0890 (resized).JPG
Obi-Wan-Kenobi_6d775533 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9003 (resized).JPG
170503152251-02-darth-vader-name-memphis-hospital-worker-trnd-exlarge-169 (resized).jpg
troll (resized).png
IMG_5672 (resized).JPG
There are 239 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
#151 6 years ago
Quoted from joemoney24:

Pushing all (perceived) pricing issues, cabinet issues, ghosting issues, and unfinished code issues aside... Whatever Stern is doing works for them and makes them profitable to date. Plenty of enthusiasts are willing to drop $6000-15000 on a game they have never played before. We will continue to see all the issues I mention above, until the demand is not there. Star Wars will be no different when it happens. Was hoping to see it announced today, as I love playing the new pins out on location.

Interesting post. Not sure if Stern would be profitable if the early adopter individuals (early meaning early enough so a brand newly designed pin could not possibly be physically played before ordering) did not jump on it before it got out to locations. Not sure Stern, or others manufacturers, could survive that low initial order rate and wait to play first process. I think the Stern Arcade might be a good way of selling a newly designed game to potential buyers without having the need for location pinball, if Stern times the digital releases of the Arcade with the physical game releases. They could limit the digital release somewhat in gameplay if they think it would cannibalize physical game sales.Just my opinion.

#152 6 years ago
Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

There are still 24 hours in a day correct? Get yer pitch forks out at 12:00 5/5. Until then make sure they are sharp and at the ready...

To which Time Zone would you be referrimg to?

#153 6 years ago

May 4

IMG_9003 (resized).JPGIMG_9003 (resized).JPG

#154 6 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

People will run out of space before they run out of money.

This is already true for me but I only have three games ...and they're three "never sell" ones so I don't know what to do. For some reason I keep coming on here and checking the market place even though I have no room. I need a bigger house.

#155 6 years ago

Obi-Wan-Kenobi_6d775533 (resized).jpegObi-Wan-Kenobi_6d775533 (resized).jpeg

#156 6 years ago
Quoted from Time:

This is already true for me but I only have three games ...and they're three "never sell" ones so I don't know what to do. For some reason I keep coming on here and checking the market place even though I have no room. I need a bigger house.

Eventually you figure out that your ideal pin collection is your current collection +1. It's a sickness that is as of yet clinically undefined, but it's there. Any pinhead can attest to it.

#157 6 years ago
Quoted from Time:

You could buy one more and only have two set up at a time with the the other two in the space of the third pin. Now that's die hard!

#158 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

You could buy one more and only have two set up at a time with the the other two in the space of the third pin. Now that's die hard!

This what they make storage for, collect them and just rotate them in and out. If you find you can really live without it, then take it to a show and sell it.

#159 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

Wow you've actually just given me an idea to consider. That's a real pro tip.

#160 6 years ago

Tomorrow is Revenge of the 5th.

#161 6 years ago

Was really hoping it got teased at least today. The business parts you are all discussing are very true. On location we are looking for a new pin since we just sold GB and are very tempted by aerosmith because we've played it and enjoyed it even though we dont think it'll be a fantastic earner. Star wars we'd put up and know that probably every single person walking into the parlor is going to throw money at it. (we cant afford both)

#162 6 years ago
Quoted from Time:

Wow you've actually just given me an idea to consider. That's a real pro tip.

Just think with the absence of the set up game your love for it will only grow fonder each day.

#163 6 years ago

Pinballlew,Flawless logic!

#164 6 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

Pinballlew,Flawless logic!

If I could convince my wife of that, I would be doing good

#165 6 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

I seriously doubt there are that many Star Wars fans who would be interested in buying a $6,000+ pinball machine.

i can't speak for any other fans but im only into pinball because I wanted one of the old starwars pins I played on site years ago.

"Serious" Star Wars collectors are nuts, I'm just a fan, so I wouldn't put it past them to drop 6k on a pin.

#166 6 years ago

At least one guy at Stern in reading here and thinking, people on pinside are stupid and have too much time....
There is no star wars pin.
Steve R is on holliday.
Who in hell came up with all these rumors/ideas/knowledge/fantasies about star wars today.

OMG such a wast of time....

#167 6 years ago
Quoted from koops:

"Serious" Star Wars collectors are nuts, I'm just a fan, so I wouldn't put it past them to drop 6k on a pin.

People drop $6k on SWDE and SWT all the time. We can't keep them in stock. In fact, we've sold like 25 in the last year at $6k.
Not much demand for SWEP1 though.

#168 6 years ago

A guy at my work spent $7500 and a year and a half putting together an R2D2 that makes noise, has lights, moves as he did in the movie. He's also have other mods lined up for it in the future. So for the true Star Wars nerd I'd say a $6k pin isn't out of the question.

IMG_0890 (resized).JPGIMG_0890 (resized).JPG

#169 6 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

I seriously doubt there are that many Star Wars fans who would be interested in buying a $6,000+ pinball machine. I can see them play it on location if they come across it (by accident) in a movie theatre, but other than that I don't expect any non pinball enthusiast to care much for it. Same goes for Star Trek and many of the other licensed themes out there. Even the rock band themes. How many non pinball enthusiast Aerosmith fans ran to the bank to order that game? If the fans of the license are not already into pinball, they don't seem to care at all.
It seems more like these licenses have become a necesety in order to sell games to pinball distributors. Gary Stern explained on multiple occasions that if they offer theme X to ditributors they are likely to order 1 or 2 (and the game will have to prove to be fun and earning first), while if they offer a licensed theme they will order 20. The licensed theme helps operators to get the first quarter as well. We've also seen that if the game sucks it won't get a second quarter. For the last decade more and more of these games don't even see a route anymore, but go straight to pinball enthusiasts. So one can wonder why these licensed themes are still required (aside from the fact that thinking they were required on each and every game was an incorrect assumption in the first place).
So is it a missed opportunity? Well, only a bit. Mostly to pinball enthusiasts who are into Star Wars, but they are already aware and interested in the game. That's not going to change. As the non pinball enthusiast die-hard Star Wars fans don't care for pinball that much, announcing the game today wouldn't matter much to them. Announcing the game a different date may actually result in more attention to it as May 4th is already swamped with Star Wars notifications.
What is far more interesting to find out, at least to me, is why the game isn't announced. Licensing issues? Licensing approval issues? Has the design team trouble getting it working properly? Is the code not far enough developed? Does it take much longer to get all the video footage integrated properly? Does Stern need to sell more Aerosmiths? Or maybe the game is ready to go, but they have plenty of orders for games to be build that they can afford to wait with announcing the next game as they're busy anyway? Who knows?

While I totally agree with your points and insights into licences selling x number of pins in advance over an unfamiliar licence having to prove itself to the pinball crowds.

When it comes to the hardcore SW fans 6k is a drop in the ocean, we are talking about people who spend 1000's on a single trading card, 1000's on a single action figure or comic/graphic novel, film props, the guy that spent several thousands on lego so he could build the millennium falcon or something crazy, there is a guy who has spent 250k+ buying anything and everything with Darth Vader on it - sure if Stern made a LE with Darth on he would be first in line

And then, when you think it cant get anymore insane SW fans prove you wrong with the super crazies like the dude who spent 300k to look like jabba the hut, yeah jabba the friggin hut!

#170 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

When it comes to the hardcore SW fans 6k is a drop in the ocean, we are talking about people who spend 1000's on a single trading card, 1000's on a single action figure or comic/graphic novel, film props, the guy that spent several thousands on lego so he could build the millennium falcon or something crazy, there is a guy who has spent 250k+ buying anything and everything with Darth Vader on it - sure if Stern made a LE with Darth on he would be first in line

So the delay in the announcement is from Stern not knowing what final price to settle on. $7k for the Pro? Maybe $8k!

#171 6 years ago
Quoted from Shaneus:

So the delay in the announcement is from Stern not knowing what final price to settle on. $7k for the Pro? Maybe $8k!

No way, if there is one thing Stern know and have planned out in advance its their pricing

#172 6 years ago

This thread reminds me of this:

#173 6 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

I seriously doubt there are that many Star Wars fans who would be interested in buying a $6,000+ pinball machine.

i think you seriously underestimate star wars collectors and what they are willing to spend!

#174 6 years ago

My theory: Aerosmith sales are starting to gain momentum. They won't announce anything until AS sales at least plateau. They have a great game that is getting some better than expected word of mouth reviews. Why not keep the orders flowing as long as they keep trending up? As soon as things slow down - Boom! Star Wars announced.

#175 6 years ago

My theory... just another wasted opportunity of a short sighted marketing team.

#176 6 years ago

Nope they will sell just as many if it was announced today or 2 months down the road.

#177 6 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Nope they will sell just as many if it was announced today or 2 months down the road.

Probably, as long as they get out ahead of Dialed In. As that game keeps making the rounds, it's swaying more people to order. Star Wars is a monster license, but it doesn't have a good pinball past.

I think the game will be great. They delay probably won't hurt anything. They just don't want to cut the legs off of Aerosmith quite yet.

#178 6 years ago

I agree. And i think anyone with the last name Skywalker should also get one for free.

This whole may 4th thing is a bunch of shit. Anyone that is a true SW nerd knows May 28th is really SW day. But the common general public doesn't know, so bunch of people that didn't know shit, thought it would be funny to use the play on words instead. Those of us that were SW nerds, know why May 25th is the real SW date. And any of us that were fans.....ceased being fans after 1999, (some of us started to fall by the wayside) , lost some more in 2002, and the rest that wern't toddlers left in 2005

#179 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Probably, as long as they get out ahead of Dialed In. As that game keeps making the rounds, it's swaying more people to order. Star Wars is a monster license, but it doesn't have a good pinball past.

They better hurry. Standard Dialed Ins are coming off the line starting in a couple weeks, and the first LEs at the beginning of June.

#180 6 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

i think you seriously underestimate star wars collectors and what they are willing to spend!

I understand there are SW collectors spending a fortune on SW memorabilia. I'm just saying they're more likely to spend their money on movie props, costumes, action figures and other stuff directly related to the movie. Part of spending that money on something that expensive is because they're buying something rather exclusive or hard to find, something they can show other collectors who will be impressed. Most SW fans will not be impressed if someone buys one or more SW-themed pinball machines unless they're already into pinball. That guy that collects everything with Darth Vader on it, does he have that Hanking game The Empire Strikes Back? Seems like a must have for his collection. If he doesn't, point made.

It would be interesting to go to a comic con or SW convention and ask the non pinball enthusiast SW fans whether they would be willing to drop $6K on a SW pinball machine or whether they rather spend that money on something more related to the movie.

I think Stern's KISS has proven that the number of fans willing to buy a brand new pinball machine just because their favorite band is on them is just a very small group of people. The Bally KISS pinball machine is for many considered a holy grail collectible, a brag item if you will. That has more to do with the fact that that game could be found on location everywhere when it came out. Today's collectors were kids then, played the game and loved it. They never even thought they could own one. Now they can, they can afford it and they buy a memory from their childhood. That's not the case with the new game, hence dissapointing sales, nowhere near the 17,000 units Bally cranked out the door in 1979.

#181 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

No way, if there is one thing Stern know and have planned out in advance its their pricing

How about quantities. We saw how good they where with batman.

40 x SLE. One for every year of anniversary.

Ohh shit guys! Did we say 40? There are 3 movies so it's 40 x 3 = 120

#182 6 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

My theory: Aerosmith sales are starting to gain momentum. They won't announce anything until AS sales at least plateau. They have a great game that is getting some better than expected word of mouth reviews. Why not keep the orders flowing as long as they keep trending up? As soon as things slow down - Boom! Star Wars announced.

I believe this is exactly what happened, Aerosmith is doing much better than expected, especially considering they retheme do Kiss.

#183 6 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

How about quantities. We saw how good they where with batman.
40 x SLE. One for every year of anniversary.
Ohh shit guys! Did we say 40? There are 3 movies so it's 40 x 3 = 120

That's exactly why I only said their pricing, that's one thing they know and feel finalise asap, everything else is "subject to change" keeps us guessing and Pinside noisy

#184 6 years ago

Think any LEs will be available at announcement?

#185 6 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Think any LEs will be available at announcement?

If demand is that high already, I bet they increase the numbers or the editions to maximize profit.

#186 6 years ago

Aerosmith is the best game they have made since Metallica ohh that's right it's that damn good

#187 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

They better hurry. Standard Dialed Ins are coming off the line starting in a couple weeks, and the first LEs at the beginning of June.

IMG_0930 (resized).pngIMG_0930 (resized).png

#188 6 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

If demand is that high already, I bet they increase the numbers or the editions to maximize profit.

If demand is high, I'd bet they sell 1000 maybe 500:500

#189 6 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

The highest LE count is Star Trek at 799.

Transformers had 500 combo, 125 autobot and 125 decepticon for 750.

Game of Thrones was 600 or 700 (I forgot which it was).

KISS was 600? Walking Dead 600?

I see this along the lines of AC/DC, Metallica, Walking Dead, Ghostbusters and Star Trek...lots and lots of premiums will be sold.

#190 6 years ago

Light up side rails like on STLE, but with lightsabers would be a must have!

#191 6 years ago

May the 5th be with you?

#192 6 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

May the 5th be with you?

Revenge of the 5th.

#193 6 years ago

I predict the announcement somewhere around the 20th of May. If Stern produces less than 800 LE models, they will be leaving money on the table. If they do around 1000 I think it will keep things from getting out of control with artificial rarity demand. If Stern pulls the SLE bullshit I will probably bow out on principle. I will also not accept an inflated price increase based on theme. If they keep things relative, I may have interest if it plays well and has decent code. This one is a big wait and see for me.

#194 6 years ago

Stern can make every pin again and again and again.
So come on with Star wars.
You can buy Aerosmith and GB later.

#195 6 years ago

On the list of considerations that Stern has, Dialed In is at the bottom....right under the price of tea in China.

#196 6 years ago

Did people actually think that Stern would announce a new release like Star Wars via a press release and Facebook post? They don't even have a presence at Pinfest. When they announce, it will be at an event in front of an audience.

#197 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Light up side rails like on STLE, but with lightsabers would be a must have!

That exactly what I was thinking, one red & one Blue that activate and strobe up.

That would EPIC.

Another thing like the ST strobe.. but white lines like the flacon going into hyperdrive!!

STERN & STEVE R make this happen... pleaseee!

#198 6 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

For Star Wars, of course it would still sell. I am talking about Aerosmith sales.

#199 6 years ago
Quoted from LewisD:

Did people actually think that Stern would announce a new release like Star Wars via a press release and Facebook post? They don't even have a presence at Pinfest. When they announce, it will be at an event in front of an audience.

Yes, they normally announce through Facebook, Press Release, and sometimes an IGN story.

And normally these announcements don't coincide with anything, other than perhaps that the factory is ready to start building.

#200 6 years ago

I have no idea why people are surprised there was no announcement. Stern has about as much foresight as this guy:

IMG_1169 (resized).PNGIMG_1169 (resized).PNG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
Carl Junction, MO
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Palm Springs, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

There are 239 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-wars-on-the-4th/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.