(Topic ID: 282951)

Star Wars New Code Request/Suggestions (from 1.05)

By SWfan

10 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by RipleYYY
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 10 months ago

I am hopeful that Dwight will do one more code update for Star Wars. Here is my wish list for what would be added/changed:

1. Co-op mode
This game seems to absolutely be made for co-op mode. Would be a great addition.

2. Better use of small screen.
As of now, the screen is really not well utilized outside of the initial plunge. Would be nice to see it utilized more in the game other than to basically repeat information that is on the main screen. In my view, as it is used now, it seems like wasted space that could have been used for another toy in the game. Would like to see the small screen basically hold its own as a toy-like feature to the game.

3. Change in scoring system.
I like the ability to move the multipliers around, but too much weight in scoring is put on using your multipliers correctly. I have had many "great" games where i might score under 1 billion and then other "okay" games where I score 2 billion+ just because I hit one shot with a big multiplier.

4. Change in Hyperspace Hurry-Up
My favorite part of the game, by far, is the Hyperspace loop. I think once you unlock the Hyperspace, it should stay active until you hit the shot or drain, as opposed to being on a hurry-up. There are so many hurry-ups in this game already, and that shot is difficult as it is, so just leaving it open until you hit it would be a great change.

5. Inner-loop ball-save option
They added a ball-save option for the scoop. Would be great if they added an option for the inner loop too. There are too many SDTM drains from that loop and it becomes really frustrating to have a great game going only to have a SDTM for hitting the shot you were trying to hit. If there was an option for a ball-save (1-2 seconds would probably be enough) it would really improve the game play and make the game less finicky on having a perfect set up.

6. More variety for drain call outs.
I like the Yoda call outs but it would be great if there were some other characters or more variations rather than hearing the same "Control, control, you must use control" Yoda call out every time!

Those are my suggestions, what are yours?

#starwars

#2 10 months ago

I love it as is, no need for anything. Wait, I take that back. I would like to be able to hit both flipper buttons and have a instant eject from the R2D2 mystery scoop. Can't think of anything else

#3 10 months ago

That is a good add to my list. I forgot about that. Should have the option to shorten the Mystery selection in the scoop like you do to shorten the scoring bonuses after your ball drains...

#4 10 months ago

Video mode appears too often
Shorten the time of the introduction of the light saber duel mode ( I think that's what you call it )
Whatever makes me a better player on this game

#5 10 months ago

The multipliers are not changing, please stop begging for it and just learn how to actually use them.

#6 10 months ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Video mode appears too often
Shorten the time of the introduction of the light saber duel mode ( I think that's what you call it )
Whatever makes me a better player on this game

How about another video mode perhaps Speeder bike through Endor?

The way they keep cranking out different versions of the game and all the different art almost seems like they have free reign to do whatever they want as far as assets are concerned.

#7 10 months ago
Quoted from Psw757:

The way they keep cranking out different versions of the game and all the different art almost seems like they have free reign to do whatever they want as far as assets are concerned.

Doesn't add up to me. I'm guessing make a video mode takes many many more hours than PF art. But like everyone else I'm just guessing. Unless it changes the Falcon and asteroids into a speeder and trees

#8 10 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

The multipliers are not changing, please stop begging for it and just learn how to actually use them.

They better not change, man they add a lot to the already fast and fun gameplay, and yeah u need to learn how to use them.

#9 10 months ago

I don't have my SW any more, but I would have definitely liked to see better scoring use of the hyperloop. It was only used to setup the jackpot value during HSMB start and had no purpose after that.

Rob

#10 10 months ago

I would hate for all of those changes to be made. Haha. The inner loop should never go SDTM. You need to tweak your game to fix that.

I honestly can’t think of a single thing I would change about the game. One of my all time favorites.

#11 10 months ago
Quoted from SWfan:

6. More variety for drain call outs.

Only one I agree with. I have owned this game twice and played it thousands of times. It is awesome. Keeping the multipliers alive takes skill, but also involved a LOT of risk reward strategy by hitting the 3 bank. Ball save on the most common shots in the game? You'd be playing for 30 minutes. Hyperspace lit until you drain, locking you out of anything else? You can't make changes in a vacuum without thinking how they will impact the game overall.

#12 10 months ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

You can hit both flipper buttons to bypass the introduction.

#13 10 months ago

Hmm...I agree with some of your ideas (small screen usage and drain callouts), but also disagree with some (hyperspace change especially...just no). And as we went over in the owners thread, adjust those loop guide rails. You shouldn't be getting enough SDTM off your inner loop to want a ball save. That is an issue with your machine that you can and should fix. Yes, the Tatooine scoop was given a ball save option, but that is much more of a design issue. It can be improved, but not to the extent that the loop can.

Rather than type up my wishlist again, I will just copy/paste one of my old posts here. I've been harping on about this stuff for years, LOL. Truth is though, as-is it's one of my favorites. Copy/paste begins here:

Here's my code wishlist (discussed before, but it's been awhile):
A way to either pass on video mode, or have it come up less. A long, deep game means 5-6 video modes in a single game. I love the mode (as far as vid modes go anyway), but that's way too much. I should never see it more than once, maybe twice a game. While I would love to see Hoth 1 get a "real" mode of its own (Tauntauns / Wampa?), if that can't happen then require the video mode for that, but then have the rest give the choice, much like GoT or ST:TNG do. With or without consolation points, I don't care. If you decide to play it later, you have to requalify it. Also throwing in a floating extra ball or other rewards would be a pretty cool incentive to play it.

A/V priority tweaks...especially for the planet multiball mini-wizard modes. Tie fighters or hyperspace should never step over a wizard mode. I would say if there is any other mode (but especially planet multis) going on, move tie fighter hurryup/bashing and hyperspace countdown to the small screen. That way the info is still there to stack effectively, but it's not burying something more special.

Make a bigger celebration for finishing a planet. My suggestion would be when you hit the "kill shot", have the machine kill the flippers, and launch into a big celebration while the balls are draining, then relaunch the balls for Victory Multiball. Think the end of Cherry Bomb in GOTG, join the Cirqus in CV, and others...even battling the Emperor in SW if I remember right? As it is now, in the heat of an intense multiball, sometimes you do not even realize you blew up the Death Star or took down Jabba's barge. Killing the flippers gives you a chance to savor the moment, watch the DS explode. It wouldn't take long...just a few seconds and then launch into Victory like a boss. If you had anything stacked, that can carry in as well. This would truly make for a special fanfare "moment" when you beat one of those modes (which isn't something I do all that often..getting to them is one thing, beating them is another...for me at least!). Some people may not like the interruption in flow, so you could even make it an option in the settings.

I go back and forth if I want a way to pass on or "escape from" Light Saber Duel. It is such an amazing mode, but once you are in it, you are stuck until you finish it, time out, or drain all your balls. Way too often I have gotten stuck on a shot and ended up spending my whole game locked in. Since getting better at the game, this is less of an issue, but it can still be frustrating some days...especially if I was close to a planet multi. Not sure how to handle this one, but maybe at least giving the option whether or not to carry it over to the next ball would be nice. If you opt-out before it's done, you need to completely requalify it before trying again...so that would give the decision some weight if you are going for the Emperor. (Edit here: The longer I have the game, the less I see this as a problem. Amazing mode...play better to not get stuck. Maybe have an option setting...default as-is carry-over, or "hard" which makes you completely requalify it if you drain during? Not sure if that's the harder setting or the easier one, LOL. Depends how you look at it..."LSD jail" vs harder to get to the Emperor.)

Maybe help clarify mode shots a little better in some cases...especially the planet modes. I still get a bit lost in some of them, like Escape from Hoth. I'm never sure what shots just build points vs what shots progress to finishing. (Edit: OP above mentions better use of the small screen and I agree. One mode with perfect use of this screen is Rancor. More of this would help. Most modes are very clear, but some (Hoth) get confusing).

Would love to see more end of ball sequences and stuff like that. The game needs more Chewy and Jabba especially. But that's minor.

Maybe the max shot multiplier could be nerfed a little as that does get pretty crazy at 40x. I do not mind it, but I know it drives some people nuts. My argument is the game can be completely enjoyed while ignoring the multipliers. I'm more of a progression guy than a score guy anyway (if not competing). But I can see some of the annoyance. I'd be ok with the max being lowered even down to say 10x. That's still a huge multiplier compared to most other games, and worth going for, but not a complete game changer if you choose to ignore them. I don't know...just thinking out loud here to help a complaint that I hear about the game. It's not something that I personally really want/need changed and it wouldn't affect my enjoyment either way. I mean...a HUGE 40x cash-in does feel good...but realistically so would a 10x if that was the max. And either way you will kick yourself when you accidentally slop into the video mode without having the multiplier on it! LOL

I'm sure there are other things that could be tweaked, but this is just my wishlist. Honestly...I love this game just as-is. This stuff would put it over the top the way Dwight's last GoT tweak did for that game. I'd love to see at least some of these, but if not, it's still awesome right now.

#14 10 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Doesn't add up to me. I'm guessing make a video mode takes many many more hours than PF art. But like everyone else I'm just guessing. Unless it changes the Falcon and asteroids into a speeder and trees

Sure it takes time but it’s been at least 12months since the last code update. They should take their time and do one more final code update to tweak some of these things.

If Beatles is getting another update then Star Wars can too.

#15 10 months ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Hmm...I agree with some of your ideas (small screen usage and drain callouts), but also disagree with some (hyperspace change especially...just no). And as we went over in the owners thread, adjust those loop guide rails. You shouldn't be getting enough SDTM off your inner loop to want a ball save. That is an issue with your machine that you can and should fix. Yes, the Tatooine scoop was given a ball save option, but that is much more of a design issue. It can be improved, but not to the extent that the loop can.
Rather than type up my wishlist again, I will just copy/paste one of my old posts here. I've been harping on about this stuff for years, LOL. Truth is though, as-is it's one of my favorites. Copy/paste begins here:
Here's my code wishlist (discussed before, but it's been awhile):
A way to either pass on video mode, or have it come up less. A long, deep game means 5-6 video modes in a single game. I love the mode (as far as vid modes go anyway), but that's way too much. I should never see it more than once, maybe twice a game. While I would love to see Hoth 1 get a "real" mode of its own (Tauntauns / Wampa?), if that can't happen then require the video mode for that, but then have the rest give the choice, much like GoT or ST:TNG do. With or without consolation points, I don't care. If you decide to play it later, you have to requalify it. Also throwing in a floating extra ball or other rewards would be a pretty cool incentive to play it.
A/V priority tweaks...especially for the planet multiball mini-wizard modes. Tie fighters or hyperspace should never step over a wizard mode. I would say if there is any other mode (but especially planet multis) going on, move tie fighter hurryup/bashing and hyperspace countdown to the small screen. That way the info is still there to stack effectively, but it's not burying something more special.
Make a bigger celebration for finishing a planet. My suggestion would be when you hit the "kill shot", have the machine kill the flippers, and launch into a big celebration while the balls are draining, then relaunch the balls for Victory Multiball. Think the end of Cherry Bomb in GOTG, join the Cirqus in CV, and others...even battling the Emperor in SW if I remember right? As it is now, in the heat of an intense multiball, sometimes you do not even realize you blew up the Death Star or took down Jabba's barge. Killing the flippers gives you a chance to savor the moment, watch the DS explode. It wouldn't take long...just a few seconds and then launch into Victory like a boss. If you had anything stacked, that can carry in as well. This would truly make for a special fanfare "moment" when you beat one of those modes (which isn't something I do all that often..getting to them is one thing, beating them is another...for me at least!). Some people may not like the interruption in flow, so you could even make it an option in the settings.
I go back and forth if I want a way to pass on or "escape from" Light Saber Duel. It is such an amazing mode, but once you are in it, you are stuck until you finish it, time out, or drain all your balls. Way too often I have gotten stuck on a shot and ended up spending my whole game locked in. Since getting better at the game, this is less of an issue, but it can still be frustrating some days...especially if I was close to a planet multi. Not sure how to handle this one, but maybe at least giving the option whether or not to carry it over to the next ball would be nice. If you opt-out before it's done, you need to completely requalify it before trying again...so that would give the decision some weight if you are going for the Emperor. (Edit here: The longer I have the game, the less I see this as a problem. Amazing mode...play better to not get stuck. Maybe have an option setting...default as-is carry-over, or "hard" which makes you completely requalify it if you drain during? Not sure if that's the harder setting or the easier one, LOL. Depends how you look at it..."LSD jail" vs harder to get to the Emperor.)
Maybe help clarify mode shots a little better in some cases...especially the planet modes. I still get a bit lost in some of them, like Escape from Hoth. I'm never sure what shots just build points vs what shots progress to finishing. (Edit: OP above mentions better use of the small screen and I agree. One mode with perfect use of this screen is Rancor. More of this would help. Most modes are very clear, but some (Hoth) get confusing).
Would love to see more end of ball sequences and stuff like that. The game needs more Chewy and Jabba especially. But that's minor.
Maybe the max shot multiplier could be nerfed a little as that does get pretty crazy at 40x. I do not mind it, but I know it drives some people nuts. My argument is the game can be completely enjoyed while ignoring the multipliers. I'm more of a progression guy than a score guy anyway (if not competing). But I can see some of the annoyance. I'd be ok with the max being lowered even down to say 10x. That's still a huge multiplier compared to most other games, and worth going for, but not a complete game changer if you choose to ignore them. I don't know...just thinking out loud here to help a complaint that I hear about the game. It's not something that I personally really want/need changed and it wouldn't affect my enjoyment either way. I mean...a HUGE 40x cash-in does feel good...but realistically so would a 10x if that was the max. And either way you will kick yourself when you accidentally slop into the video mode without having the multiplier on it! LOL
I'm sure there are other things that could be tweaked, but this is just my wishlist. Honestly...I love this game just as-is. This stuff would put it over the top the way Dwight's last GoT tweak did for that game. I'd love to see at least some of these, but if not, it's still awesome right now.

You bring up some good points, Hoth 1 should have its own mission and I also think Tatooine could use an additional mission of some sort.

I happen to like video modes and one from each movie would be cool.

I agree with the fanfare issue and not knowing if you blew up the Death Star or taking out Jabba’s barge, a momentary pause would be cool.

I’ve been saying all along we need more Chewy, Jabba, Obi Wan, Bobby Fett etc...

How about for the special award we get the Cantina Band? At least give us Cantina band video and music mixed into the attract mode clips and audio.

Some of the video clips in attract mode are a little wonky and just cut out, maybe they could tweak those a bit.

Great game and clearly they are selling a ton of them or they would keep cranking them out.

#16 10 months ago

A lot of great ideas here. I would have to update any new code as mine is personally customized but would be well worth it. At this point, SW would be the last game to leave my collection. I believe with the comic art it is one of the most complete packages in pinball. Speed, deep / unilinear code, risk/rewards, great use of assets, great sound, one of the better video modes, two excellent toys (Hyperlink/exploding deathstar), Tie Fighter multi ball , good use of the shaker, ....

#17 10 months ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Sure it takes time but it’s been at least 12months since the last code update...

And they are going to update it, and work on more updates for other games at the same time. My point is if you are actually hoping for adding another video mode; it's not going to happen.

#18 10 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

And they are going to update it, and work on more updates for other games at the same time. My point is if you are actually hoping for adding another video mode; it's not going to happen.

I don’t think that another video mode is likely to happen but the OP titled it requests and suggestions...that’s all it was a suggestion.

#19 10 months ago

The only update I’d kill to see is polished choreography with the fan fare. i.e. when you complete a planet multiball, the awesome fan fare can easily be cut off by tie fighters or hyperspace. Other than that, this game is a master piece!

#20 10 months ago

One thing that annoys me a lot: If you add a ball with the action button, the game turns of the multipliers. That does not make sense. And it is so easy to forget to turn it on in the heat of the battle.

It would be awesome to get a code update where the small screen is used more. It is hard to find the instructions for the modes on the big screen, it is a bit cluttered. The lightsaber duel would be great as a escape from Nublar style mini game.

#21 10 months ago

I love any addition to include the cantina scene and the classic cantina music!

#22 10 months ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

I love any addition to include the cantina scene and the classic cantina music!

Speaking of that, I'd love to see the cantina based Midnight Madness mode come back, although in some guise that doesn't make me wait until midnight for it to happen, LOL. Like maybe a random mode offered up by the Mystery shot.

#23 10 months ago

OMG, a cantina mini-wizard that can only be activated by the Mystery shot would be amazing.

I'm thinking 4 ball multi-ball without a lot of points attached to it, so it is just a random fun event, but not one you need to get to boost your score...

I can already see the light mode flashing to the funky music as I type this....

#24 10 months ago

Cantina would be perfect for Midnight Madness. Did Dwight put midnight madness in this? I can’t remember.

#25 10 months ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Cantina would be perfect for Midnight Madness. Did Dwight put midnight madness in this? I can’t remember.

it was in there yes

#26 10 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

it was in there yes

Was? As in no longer? Wonder why it was taken out?

#27 10 months ago

Hit the flashing lights to complete the bar room banter, "He doesnt like you.", "I dont like you either, you'd best watch yourself.", "We're wanted men...." and so on, completing the mode with a light sabre slashing off an arm. Followed by a super bonus timed shot to shoot greedo.

#28 10 months ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yes, I heard Dwight took it out with the final code release. I don't think it was ever mentioned as to why. I think it would be cool to have it back in some form or another.

#29 10 months ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I think Disney didn't approve. As it was, it looked very cheesy and not polished. There are streams that show it, and it was pretty rough. Probably too much work for Dwight to go back and forth with Disney over such a trivial "extra" mode.

Edit: Found a link

#30 10 months ago

Yeah sounds like it. Heard it was extremely difficult dealing with Disney on this one.

#31 10 months ago

If Cantina band music were ever to be added it should just be a mystery award which if I recall is pretty much how the DESW used it.

I’d like to see this added in with the video assets of course.

1 week later
#32 10 months ago

Agree with others that when you beat a mission, it would be great if it caused a ball lock or auto drain so that you can bask in the glory of your accomplishment. Especially blowing up the death star.

Would also love a second (and third?) video mode so it isn't ALWAYS avoiding the asteroids, but I understand that may be too difficult to change. Just would be great if Level 1 video mode was the asteroid field, Level 2 was travelling through Endor trees and Level 3 was something like the final scene in the original where Luke destroyed the death star (or another scene).

Also, can't get fixed with code, but too bad they didn't use the ramp engineering like Elvira's main ramp into the house/cellar to get up to the death star/hyperloop as opposed to using the "fork" ramp. Soooo much smoother.

#33 10 months ago

Geez, it’s been almost 3 weeks since I posted the request for a new code before they came out with one!

Kidding aside, I am really disappointed that there is nothing new in terms of gameplay. No cantina scene, no new video modes, no change to Mystery, no change to call outs, no Co-op mode, no scoring changes.

For those who have already updated, is there anything new to the actual gameplay (other than the new ball save features)?

#34 10 months ago
Quoted from SWfan:

Geez, it’s been almost 3 weeks since I posted the request for a new code before they came out with one!
Kidding aside, I am really disappointed that there is nothing new in terms of gameplay. No cantina scene, no new video modes, no change to Mystery, no change to call outs, no Co-op mode, no scoring changes.
For those who have already updated, is there anything new to the actual gameplay (other than the new ball save features)?

I got my #1 wish granted...the option to limit video mode to once per game (per character). For me, that's HUGE. I was getting pretty frustrated playing through it 5-6 times in a good game. In a perfect world, I would have preferred a STTNG style choice of vid mode or points, but I do not mind completely limiting it either.

The new ball save should help those that suffer from a lot of launch-drain-ballsave-drain nut-punches. On my machine that is thankfully very rare, but it will be nice to have those few times covered.

I'd still love to see A/V priority tweaks, and a flipper kill celebration for completing planet multiballs. A few more end of ball sequences would be nice. But all that is minor, and now that video modes are under control, I am super happy. After what Dwight did for GoT years after the fact, I will keep my fingers crossed that he might someday swoop in and do some perfecting (when he has the spare time...ha! ). But if he can't, that's OK. I super appreciate that he listened and fixed the biggest annoyance I had with the game.

#35 10 months ago
Quoted from SWfan:

Well.... no offense but I love the game and think everything you want changed isnt needed.

At this stage in the game I wouldnt expect much to change that drastically.

4 months later
#36 5 months ago

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside