rick-springfield-linda-blair-27222 (resized).jpg
Freddy (resized).jpg
da bomb.gif
the-barefoot-executive-DI-01-1 (resized).jpg
AP-Kurt-Russell-Marvel-hb-170529 (resized).jpg
2017-08-07-19-25-17- (resized).jpg
fast-and-furious-8-kurt-russell-scott-eastwood-and-dwayne-johnson (resized).jpg
1134609_121211104417_justin-bieber-believe-album-cover-500x500 (resized).jpg
salma-hayek-big-screen-achievement-awards-at-cinemacon-las-vegas-3-30-2017-1_thumbnail (resized).jpg
Salma-Hayek (resized).jpg
IMG_6341 (resized).JPG
IMG_6340 (resized).JPG
tenor (resized).png
thisisspinaltap_rocknrollcreation_FC_470x264_062020170229 (resized).jpg

There are 582 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 12.
#351 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'm a player, so I love it.

I do pretty well with the ladies too Beezle but please try to have some humility.

#352 6 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I noticed Jack said that the Premium seemed to play a little faster than the Pro.

This pin has a very small window of pitch adjustment that can make the game go from fast to lightning speed, I think the pitch was high.

#353 6 years ago

Death Star explosion was pretty under whelming.

Seems if anyone was interested, a pro would be the way to go. Premium and LE don't offer much it seems.

#354 6 years ago

At the end of the Twitch feed Steve says " Well the reason we have not shown anything on the Star Wars LE was because it was not ready and we wanted to get it more complete, now it is ready for primetime." This proves my previous comments about Stern rushing this title out for production. I would not want to be a designer for Stern with unrealistic time frames for game production schedules. Let the designers and team have the necessary time needed for full development. You figure after the BM66 beta code debacle that Stern would have learned a lesson. Hey Stern if you are listening, may try another approach with game design and production. Stern may not be able to accomplish their goal of three cornerstone titles per year, but at least the games will be complete. I feel sorry for Steve Ritchie having to literally shit out the game within a specific time frame. If the game is not complete, don't release it.

I wanted to also thank Dead Flip for streaming this. You are a great player and have a great attitude, keep it up!

-Hope Stern did not send out SW LE's with a mechanical issue like GOT Premium/LE orbit diverter. The Hyperloop looked like it was already plagued with problems?

#355 6 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

Why is everybody hating on this game. Stop asking for so much.

I'll stop asking for so much IN the pin when Stern stops asking for so much FOR the pin. After watching the video I don't see much added value for the Pre or LE, but it's not like this is the only Stern to have that problem. Not trying to hate on the game, I've played the Pro a few times and it's fun, if you're a SW fan I'm sure you'll love it.

#356 6 years ago

I thought it looked pretty fun honestly. I did like the addition of the ability to turn off mode stacking. That made it easier to follow the different modes they were playing.

#357 6 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

At the end of the Twitch feed Steve says " Well the reason we have not shown anything on the Star Wars LE was because it was not ready and we wanted to get it more complete, now it is ready for primetime." This proves my previous comments about Stern rushing this title out for production. I would not want to be a designer for Stern with unrealistic time frames for game production schedules. Let the designers and team have the necessary time needed for full development. You figure after the BM66 beta code debacle that Stern would have learned a lesson. Hey Stern if you are listening, may try another approach with game design and production. Stern may not be able to accomplish their goal of three cornerstone titles per year, but at least the games will be complete. I feel sorry for Steve Ritchie having to literally shit out the game within a specific time frame. If the game is not complete, don't release it.
I wanted to also thank Dead Flip for streaming this. You are a great player and have a great attitude, keep it up!
-Hope Stern did not send out SW LE's with a mechanical issue like GOT Premium/LE orbit diverter. The Hyperloop looked like it was already plagued with problems?

It's coming up on 2 years since the release of GOT. Every one has deadlines to meet at any job. I don't think Steve was locked in a cave shitting out SW as you seem to think. This game is his vision for it and there was plenty of time given for it. Not all visions turn into winners.

#358 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

This game is his vision for it and there was plenty of time given for it. Not all visions turn into winners.

Its a winner for me.

#359 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Its a winner for me.

And that's all that really matters.

Some people will love it, some will hate it, some will be indifferent. I just thought it was funny that people think stern has SR on some crazy timeline and that is why SW is not what they wanted.

#360 6 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Give a designer/developer too much rope to make it meet their idea of "ready" and you end up with Magic Girl.

#361 6 years ago

Comments based on video-clips:

Hyperloop: Very nice
Death Star Explosion: Huge disappointment
Verdict: If I had to choose, would go for Pro, fortunately I don't have to, so I am saving my money and buying something else

#363 6 years ago

I have enjoyed playing the Pro and I don't think it is too bare. I really like what they are doing with the screen and modes and it really seems like it mixes things up nicely and keeps it interesting in my opinion. I like that the made so you can turn off stacking. That may be great for tournaments or people that don't really care about the theme or a very good players, but as a Star Wars fan and average player, it's probably just a little too much in your face at once. I'm super pleased its now an option.

They JUST NEED TO FINISH IT! FINISH THE DAMN CODE! (and eliminate glitches like how the ball fell out of the loop and the Death Star flasher didn't work)

If they finish it on par with what is already in the game at this point, I think it will have really turned out great. They have improved upon the things that were the worst/ugliest/confusing/annoying. However, if they leave some mission/mode or wizard mode incomplete than it's going to be a real pisser like fingernails on a chalkboard annoying.

I'll buy one next year for my 50th birthday (yikes, I'm getting old) if they don't screw up wrapping up the code with a bow on top. This isn't a given since Stern has this tendency of getting games to about 90% +/- 5% done and deciding that's close enough -- next project! Given they often sell these games for years now, they really do need to polish the games code, especially with the advent of the LCD screens. For better (I think!) or worse, I think bad coding/visuals, etc. will be made all the more glaring with the LCD. I think the advent of the LCDs will almost force them to up their game (excepting the sad state of BM66 I suppose). What used to suffice for images, sounds and rules on a DMD system just doesn't cut it anymore. The bar has been raised.

Troy

#364 6 years ago

Premium = less bang for the buck, but I like the loop.

May be better to get the premium rather than mod a Pro to death (for those that are into that). I prefer functional toys vs. pure eye candy. I like the hyperspace loop and enjoyed Getaway when I owned it and Star Wars is a much better game (rules, visuals, sound). Getaway's toy (considered to be one of the best in pinball) on a better pinball machine is not a bad thing at all if you are willing to pay for it. Clearly, the markup by Stern vs. the BOM and engineering hours feels somewhat steep but their pricing is up to them and I can decide to pay or not.

If I had one wish, it would be that they had left the single playfield magnet shown in the original design in the game. Taking it out still feels like a miss from a Star Wars "force" standpoint. Other than that, I'm pretty have with what they have done.

#365 6 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

I have enjoyed playing the Pro and I don't think it is too bare. I really like what they are doing with the screen and modes and it really seems like it mixes things up nicely and keeps it interesting in my opinion. I like that the made so you can turn off stacking. That may be great for tournaments or people that don't really care about the theme or a very good players, but as a Star Wars fan and average player, it's probably just a little too much in your face at once. I'm super pleased its now an option.
They JUST NEED TO FINISH IT! FINISH THE DAMN CODE! (and eliminate glitches like how the ball fell out of the loop and the Death Star flasher didn't work)
If they finish it on par with what is already in the game at this point, I think it will have really turned out great. They have improved upon the things that were the worst/ugliest/confusing/annoying. However, if they leave some mission/mode or wizard mode incomplete than it's going to be a real pisser like fingernails on a chalkboard annoying.
I'll buy one next year for my 50th birthday (yikes, I'm getting old) if they don't screw up wrapping up the code with a bow on top. This isn't a given since Stern has this tendency of getting games to about 90% +/- 5% done and deciding that's close enough -- next project! Given they often sell these games for years now, they really do need to polish the games code, especially with the advent of the LCD screens. For better (I think!) or worse, I think bad coding/visuals, etc. will be made all the more glaring with the LCD. I think the advent of the LCDs will almost force them to up their game (excepting the sad state of BM66 I suppose). What used to suffice for images, sounds and rules on a DMD system just doesn't cut it anymore. The bar has been raised.
Troy

They don't need to just finish the code, they need to support it.

#366 6 years ago

Well after watching the entire stream last night I am now about 75 percent certain to cancel my LE order next week. Here are my personal reasons for it.

- the mechanical failures of the hyper loop (balls stopped spinning more often than not and simply plopped out the bottom) and the Death Star toy was not exciting at all. Not sure a light makes it that much better.

- future code updates don't bother me but mechanical failures do. I don't want the hassle of trying to ship and install parts that need to be fixed.

- I am unlikely to ever get to blow up the Death Star anyway since I'm a bad player. Lol. The pros last night struggled. That's the only interactive toy and I'll never see it in action.

- the game looks fun but I just don't see the $3,200 value in an LE over a pro. I don't care for the pro so that pretty much means I won't get this title in any form.

- ghosting is the new normal. Sorry but not for an $8,400 luxury toy. If you are unlucky enough to have a table with ghosting then good luck selling it for less than a $1,000 hit on your asking price for something you can't control. If I keep my games in mint condition, then they should stay mint from top to bottom.

It's a bummer too as this was a dream theme from a company I really like. When I started buying pins 5 years ago this was the one I was waiting for.

#367 6 years ago

I'm glad I cancelled my Star Wars Cash-grab LE. Stern wasted this theme.

#368 6 years ago

Who cares buy it don't buy it. I will be playing mine when it comes in but I will not tell anyone. I do not want to be made fun of. I do not want to be bullied. I will be one of the Silent Majority Americans who support SWLE. Oh wait I said that out loud.

#369 6 years ago

What i don´t understand:
SR is the designer, who is awarded, to design fast (flow) pins, that is his competency.
And what do these guys?
Play, stop, hitting the Button, play, stop, hitting the button...... for me (and i also have played the LE) its a killer of flow. Too much Button, too much. And for me overcomplicate.

#370 6 years ago

The game still looks like fun but after seeing the LE stream there's no way the extra features are worth the additional cost. The hyperloop is really the only discernable difference but its inclusion is at the expense of losing the captive ball shot which is my favorite shot on the Pro. Plus I don't like the way the ball often exits the hyperloop by falling off the rail near the flippers. It's Pro or bust for me!

#371 6 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

It's Pro or bust for me!

Well it was bust for me
So badly wanted SW to live up to the hype and be worth the money.
Not in the slightest.
Just bought a Spider-Man (2007) with my saved up Star Wars money.

#372 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'm a player,...

Funniest post in this thread

#373 6 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

Who cares buy it don't buy it. I will be playing mine when it comes in but I will not tell anyone. I do not want to be made fun of. I do not want to be bullied. I will be one of the Silent Majority Americans who support SWLE. Oh wait I said that out loud.

If this game speaks to you....definitely buy it! That's all that matters.

#374 6 years ago
Quoted from Ranhorton:

Well it was bust for me
So badly wanted SW to live up to the hype and be worth the money.
Not in the slightest.
Just bought a Spider-Man (2007) with my saved up Star Wars money.

You can't go wrong with SM. Great layout and them with a polished Lyman ruleset. I still really like SW Pro though and have played it a bunch! Luckily there are 3 of them on route in Madison and Tim also bought one.-he loves it!

The good news with SW is that they should be available for a long time and there is no need to buy one now. Have you been able to find one to play yet? Its one of those games that doesn't look impressive from a distance but once you play one it's a lot of fun.

#375 6 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

Death Star Explosion: Huge disappointment

Not sure of the size of the death star in the game but Hallmark has a new 3.9" Death Star ornament for 2017 (and a few ships to). It has nice full color LED light show with sound. Looks pretty detailed and doesn't have a big seam on it like the stern version. If you hacked the lights already in it to to trigger during specific parts of the gameplay it could be a nice mod upgrade for pro owners.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#376 6 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

You can't go wrong with SM. Great layout and them with a polished Lyman ruleset. I still really like SW Pro though and have played it a bunch! Luckily there are 3 of them on route in Madison and Tim also bought one.-he loves it!
The good news with SW is that they should be available for a long time and there is no need to buy one now. Have you been able to find one to play yet? Its one of those games that doesn't look impressive from a distance but once you play one it's a lot of fun.

Haven't been able to play one yet but it looks like I need to get my ass back to Madison to play Tim's!
PRAYING that after I get some time on SW I'll feel like it's worth the money. For now, me, my family and all the neighborhood kids are loving SM.

#377 6 years ago

I was 100% in, but after last night's stream, I'm 50/50 on canceling my Premium order and waiting for a used pin or just switching to a Pro.

I'll start with the positives. I'm a Star Wars fan, kids are Star Wars fans. This has been a dream theme for a while now and I was excited to see the reveal. I love the look of the Premium pin. The gameplay looks intriguing, hearing the music and seeing the LCD display are pluses as well. It's the only pin that my sons will sit down and watch videos of gameplay, so it has their attention for sure.

The negative takeaways for me....I'm alarmed at the difficulty to blow up the Death Star. I don't expect it to be easy and understand the decision for the difficulty to reach it (it is the Death Star after all), but was really hoping it would be a higher percentage part of the gameplay. Seeing it not work properly on top of that was baffling. If quality control can't make sure the pin is working properly for its world premiere, especially on a part of the gameplay that is supposed to be an upgrade, it really makes me question the quality of the product I'll be getting.

#378 6 years ago

One takeaway from the stream that I hope is a change going forward is eliminating the mode stacking going forward.-at least on default settings. With mode stacking I think it's a bit too easy to progress through all of the modes. Playing them one at a time also helps with theme immersion and also simplifies gameplay a bit. It can be pretty confusing to know what to shoot for when you have 2 modes running at once.

#379 6 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

Quality issues aside

Quoted from ASOA:

I think people just have a bad feeling about stern pinball right now because of quality issues and warranty concerns.

No. You can't say "quality issues aside" and then discuss quality issues. Not in the same post. Hurts my neck.

#380 6 years ago

Maybe the reason why the Death Star features are dull and not done so far is because stern thought it was so difficult that no one would be blowing up the Death Star so they had time to code it to completion later on and concrentated their efforts on other parts of the game

Right now. I'm on the fence. The LE is serisouly lacking features for the high price. But the shots look great and the LCD video is very nice

#381 6 years ago
Quoted from Potatoloco:

The negative takeaways for me....I'm alarmed at the difficulty to blow up the Death Star. I don't expect it to be easy and understand the decision for the difficulty to reach it (it is the Death Star after all), but was really hoping it would be a higher percentage part of the gameplay. Seeing it not work properly on top of that was baffling. If quality control can't make sure the pin is working properly for its world premiere, especially on a part of the gameplay that is supposed to be an upgrade, it really makes me question the quality of the product I'll be getting.

I think the difficulty of blowing up the Death Star is just fine, I just question having a toy that is dedicated to a purpose that you rarely see. I think the LCD animations would have been adequate and would have rather seen the Death star toy money used towards something else such as a drops instead of stand-ups for the 3 bank targets.

#382 6 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I think the difficulty of blowing up the Death Star is just fine, I just question having a toy that is dedicated to a purpose that you rarely see. I think the LCD animations would have been adequate and would have rather seen the Death star toy money used towards something else such as a drops instead of stand-ups for the 3 bank targets.

I agree. That's where my main concern is. That while the difficulty should be where it's at, having it be an upgraded part of the gameplay that will rarely if ever come into actual gameplay in my household is a massive drawback.

#383 6 years ago

Yes I can say! I wrote it and you read it! I win!

tenor (resized).pngtenor (resized).png

#384 6 years ago

Seems the best option for this game is to buy a Pro and spend the extra money turning it into ur own personalized LE, there's gonna be a ton of mods, I knew just from the pics of the Pre/LE that it wasn't for me, but after seeing it action I know I made the right choice, for me if you dig it then great. The gameplay is there and in spades so the most important factor is taken care of.

#386 6 years ago

Is that an intentional Easter egg? Like it says "I have a bad feeling about this"... then that happens?

#387 6 years ago

Falcon. Got to hand it to you that's funny. Disappointing but funny.

#388 6 years ago

At least the 'Replay Screech' has changed. The sound seems shorter in length and similar to the sound of a baseball bat and ball contact.

#389 6 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

One takeaway from the stream that I hope is a change going forward is eliminating the mode stacking going forward.-at least on default settings. With mode stacking I think it's a bit too easy to progress through all of the modes. Playing them one at a time also helps with theme immersion and also simplifies gameplay a bit. It can be pretty confusing to know what to shoot for when you have 2 modes running at once.

Read this fast and it's funnier (to me):

Do you mean it's confusing when you have 2 modes running; managing playfield X; which may or may not be 1-3 shots scoring up to 20x or doubled to 40x, may be flashing when expiring; red (roving) or green (locked to shot), all while trying to flip the ball to the most valuable shot. Sounds great !

#390 6 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

Read this fast and it's funnier (to me):
Do you mean it's confusing when you have 2 modes running; managing playfield X; which may or may not be 1-3 shots scoring up to 20x or doubled to 40x, may be flashing when expiring; red (roving) or green (locked to shot), all while trying to flip the ball to the most valuable shot. Sounds great !

Not really confusing, and more fun then it sounds.

But you may have to play some games on it to get acquainted with it.

#391 6 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

We all get old there's no shame in that

I find it extremely rewarding to stack modes, set up the multiplier, time the roving shots etc, love this pin, fast, fun, lots of multi's, and challenging with a great theme and great layout

#392 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

It's coming up on 2 years since the release of GOT. Every one has deadlines to meet at any job. I don't think Steve was locked in a cave shitting out SW as you seem to think. This game is his vision for it and there was plenty of time given for it. Not all visions turn into winners.

That's how i feel Steve approached this game. It's his vision of how he would want to play a SW's pin. It's fast as hell and i love the hyperdrive.

However, while it will meet a lot of people's expectations I think others like myself were looking for more of the world of SW under the glass and not just reflected on the Lcd.

The Death Star is a big meh for me, so many other ways to incorporate SW assets into the game.

Then again, its HIS vision. Maybe it will be a long term winner, its such a great theme.

That's also the beauty of Stern, if the Force isn't with you this time, there will be another option right around the corner.

Elvira 3, Iron Maiden, GOTG, Pulp Fiction and Kapow boutique.

#393 6 years ago

Pulp Fiction? Really? What's next, The Graduate?

#394 6 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Plus it's a toy that's only really used for 1 mission in the entire game. Kind of a non-feature perhaps.

That's how Marshmallow Man was approached in GB, too - only time you'll see it light up and change colors is a mode no one can get to.

#395 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

That's how Marshmallow Man was approached in GB, too - only time you'll see it light up and change colors is a mode no one can get to.

To clarify, actually the Death Star can be blown up twice since there were two of them in the movies. I don't think anyone knew the toy was probably not plugged in on the premium they played because even the external green lights were always off.

Rob

#396 6 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

I do not want to be made fun of. I do not want to be bullied.

You can come and join us in the B66 owners thread.

#397 6 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

Pulp Fiction? Really? What's next, The Graduate?

Yeah exactly, I like the film but its not a theme for pinball.

#398 6 years ago

Ha. I saw him do that on the stream and I thought he deliberately drained the ball for some reason.

Hope that's just a one off.

#399 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

That's also the beauty of Stern, if the Force isn't with you this time, there will be another option right around the corner.
Elvira 3, Iron Maiden, GOTG, Pulp Fiction and Kapow boutique.

Do you think there's a chance they will ever do anything new again?

#400 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'm a player, so I love it.

Funny, comments like Levi's always remind me of Party, Party...are you a Player, a Fast Flash Player or a Fast, Flash Passenger?

SW pin looks fun for sure, quality and cost mean I'm just a FF Passenger on this one.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
There are 582 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-wars-live-on-dead-flip-tonight/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.