12F7532C-74D1-4C23-B411-00903E072A83 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4111 (resized).jpg
20200927_130059 (resized).jpg
20200927_114202 (resized).jpg
IMG_0423 (resized).jpg
IMG_0422 (resized).jpg
021 (2) (resized).JPG
A36B34AC-C8DC-43E8-8021-809DDC17D93B (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dnapac.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#53 6 years ago

I decided to test my Death Star and this is what happened when the cycle ended. I can't reproduce it manually, just when it goes off. Is there an adjustment screw for this...I looked, but not seeing it. Could also be the tension on the springs...is this adjustable. Light pressure on the top of the left side snaps it back into place.

IMG_0131 (resized).JPGIMG_0131 (resized).JPG

IMG_0133 (resized).JPGIMG_0133 (resized).JPG

#55 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I don't think you ever have to worry about it happening during the game. If you play like I do, that is.

Ha! I have over 500 plays, and decided to go into the service menu to see if the Death Star actually worked.

#57 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

That's the only time I've ever seen it in action as well!

Does anyone know what "Death Star hold power" is in the service menu? Just hoping that has something to do with how wide it opens...thus closing a little stronger and fixing my problem.

Nevermind. That adjustment has fixed the problem. I think my theory was correct, unless someone else knows the real purpose of this setting. Stern manuals really do suck. Oh well, that is just one of many problems that will arise. Not because it's Star Wars, but because it's pinball. Just roll with it.

1 week later
#65 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I'm really liking my Premium thus-far, but the Death Star appears to have been shipped to me out of alignment. It looks like maybe the left half of the Death Star (from the player's perspective) is hitting the ramp, keeping it from closing entirely? I took a quick look but did not see an obvious, simple way to adjust how the Death Star sits on the ramp (or how it aligns when in closed position). Did anyone else have this issue, and if so how did you fix it?
(I already ran the Death Star in test mode, confirms that it's not just offset somehow, and I wasn't able to just move the halves around with my hands to get them to line up properly).

I had this exact problem. If you push gently on the top of the left piece, does it snap into alignment? If so, and the it comes out of place when you set off the Death Star, I can help. I thought the "Death Star hold power" in the service menu was the answer, but I realized it was still a problem. I resorted to very slightly modifying the Death Star. The left half has the middle jut that should key into the recess on the right half...but it was catching. That's why it wouldn't close. Take a very sharp blade/single sided razor, and shave off the backside of the top of this jut...hard to explain, easy to do. If you look at the top of this area, it's flat...you are gonna shave less than a mm off the back edge...at about a 45 degree angle. There is no part of thi modification that is visible from the front of the Death Star...in essence, you are shaving off the inside edge. It should then slide into place when the 2 halves come together. Hope this helps

#69 6 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

Cluster F*&k I have seen many photo's of this issue . Even in the STERN SWLE gallery and in streams .

This sound like the a solution to a $ 8,900.00 with tax . Worse than tweeking my Avengers LE .
Before I spend any $$ can dnapac you post some photos of your exactly were you shaved the (Jig/Jut) on your Death Star
And what setting did you put the DS Hold to . Regards , RDK PLAY AMUSEMENTS AKA: Rob Knapp

You can see some of the shavings that were pushed towards the Death Star body. This is only done on the inside edge...won't be visible from the outside. DS hold power at 100.

IMG_0139 (resized).JPGIMG_0139 (resized).JPG

#74 6 years ago

Code .92. Played a couple great games and my fork ramp is stuck up. Power cycle did nothing. In service menu I test the ramp and nothing. I try to switched between 55, 56, 57 and all times I try it "failed". Lifted the playfield and connections look ok...any ideas.

#76 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Damn. Sorry to hear that. That is the LE ?

No, premium. But, LE and premium are mechanically identical and there is no premium troubleshooting thread. Guess Metallica is gonna get some love this weekend, and I'll have to call Stern on Monday. It's just dead-in-the-water. not sure if it's a power thing, or not being triggered through a node board...I think that's node 9.

Another question. When in the service menu and you test a node board...it doesn't seem to do anything. I select the node board and then hit the black button. It makes the "boom" sound, but nothing seems to happen. Am I missing something?

#79 6 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Did you physically try and move the mechanism? May have just bound up.

Yup. I'm open to all suggestions. Not afraid of most things...but soldering is difficult for me...too shaky.

#80 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Just played a few games on .92, and it's just getting even more epic than before. What a great game.
I still have the problem that every now and then a ball will get stuck behind the forked ramp and I'll have wait for it to go into ball search. Perhaps it only happens when the second ball drains on multiball, but I haven't quite sussed out the exact behavior yet.
Anyone else see this?
I also had a problem where the trough wasn't reading a drained ball, but I thought I had fixed that by resetting the connectors. Not sure if that's related to this problem, though.

I have had the ball drain problem before. I think it's the flat pitch and the extreme leveling side to side...seemed the drained ball didn't "drain" against the other balls. On the rare occasion this happens, a little shake fixes the problem.

#85 6 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

What does soldering have to do with moving the fork ramp by hand to see if it is stuck or spread apart to much by the ball hitting it from behind,did you try to move the ramp by hand?

I tried to move it by hand. It is frozen...won’t move. The soldering bit was just me sharing a general limitation I have when it comes to fixing my pins. Forks are aligned properly and don’t appear to be binding on anything.

#92 6 years ago
Quoted from doomid:

My fork ramp got stuck up after the update as well. It ended up being the node 9d board, that controls the ramp. I swapped with my aerosmith board that controls the chest and it worked fine. I was later notified that it indeed is stuck up again. Something in the code is causing that node board to fail. Now i have 2 broken pins.

Good to know for my problem...and bummer.

#94 6 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

A fix/mod is needed for the right ramp leading edge - or all ramp edges. The right ramp edge is too exposed and balls are directly hitting the edge and a dent is forming. It's a very thick ramp, but I suppose the weld could still eventually break. In any case, the ball should not be hitting ramp edges like this on any game.
The left ramp edges also have small dents, but by far the worst is the right ramp, right side.
Rob

Mine has the same small dings. What welds? I think they thought the targets at the edges would protect the ramps. Not sure how to fix this without messing with the target shots.

#102 6 years ago

Just talked to Chaz from Stern. They have been having problems with the fork ramp. They aren't sure if it's the motor or a board, so he is sending me both and I'm gonna send back my old ones so they can troubleshoot it. Awesome service from Stern!

#108 6 years ago

Starting to worry v0.92 is causing something to overload and cause the fork ramp to fail. Anybody have the fork ramp completely fail prior to update?

#110 6 years ago
Quoted from RetroGamerJP:

I cant help but think that the ball constantly smacking into the back of the forks is contributing to these failures. I updated to .092 this weekend as well and have logged about 20 games and no issues (yet) ... my machine currently has 103 balls played on it so perhaps my time has not yet come.

Forks are very strong...I don't think the ball hitting the forks is a big problem. I had about 700 plays before v.92 and about 10 after when the fork ramp failed,

#118 6 years ago
Quoted from FourFlippers:

All, same issue. Never had a problem with the ramp until I upgraded to .92, it worked for 1 day then the fork ramp died. Spoke to Chaz. They overnighted a controller board. Worked again...for 1 day. I'll be calling again tomorrow morning. Not sure what's up.

I'm supposed to be getting replacement board and motor soon...I think I'll wait to install them, as this is looking more and more like a code problem causing a mechanical problem...was that the node 9 board, or the smaller 9D board?

#138 6 years ago
Quoted from faqawi:

They’re sending me a new SD card preloaded. Looks like it’s gonna be a bit of a pain to change out the motor and fork.

I would trade out the 9D (small power board that runs the fork ramp) before I tried to trade out the fork ramp. I've seen others have luck with swapping just that board out. But, unless they've fixed the code, all the ones I know of have failed a second time.

#173 6 years ago

I can't get home until late. I am one of the lucky with a dead fork ramp. I also saw that you need to leave the game off 1-2 min. after update and making sure all leds in the backbox shut off (not sure if I did this or not). I'm wondering if the board isn't actually dead, just in a state of not being updated completely, thus not working. I was gonna try reinstall 0.92 and be sure to wait 2+ min before turning the machine back on. Then seeing if the fork ramp works (thus, the board being properly updated). Has anyone tried this?

#175 6 years ago
Quoted from FourFlippers:

In my case, I updated to 0.92, game played fine, no issues for about 24hrs in an arcade.(The Pinball Lounge) Got a message saying the fork ramp was stuck. Shut the game down and manually adjusted the ramp so the game could be played. Called Stern. Chaz mentioned he had another customer with the same issue. They swapped controller boards with an Aerosmith and it worked for a while but then quit on them. He was going to consult Engineering. Chaz sent me a replacement board. Installed it, game ran for another 24hrs, then the same thing happened.
Since the game ran fine, I doubt the node board not being properly updated otherwise it would have not worked at all after the code update. My guess is it's a certain scenario/series of shots that causes the board to fail.

Thanks for the reply. Makes sense. Hope this gets ironed out soon, I miss playing my star wars with the hyperloop.

#181 6 years ago
Quoted from faqawi:

How long does it take for stern to get parts out to a brotha? Been waiting patiently

Got my replacement 9D board and fork motor. Took 1 week. But now I'm afraid to install them until update code.

#183 6 years ago

I disabled the fork ramp. Is there a way to have the game recognize the Death Star missions, or hyperspace hurry-up? Not sure how this is handled on the pro (I've never played it). Do you just hit the left loop? I guess, I want to know if it's possible for the premium to act like a pro.

#194 6 years ago

Stern just put .89 back on for the prem/le...so I guess we get a downgrade.

#197 6 years ago

So disappointing. I hope the prem/le people get the code update STAT. If I was in the market for a pin...I'd not buy a prem/le Star Wars right now...such a fun game. Until the code is fixed, this is gonna kill sales.

#202 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Have they officially advised Premium/LE owners to roll back to .89?

Haven't seen any official recommend...but, if they put .89 back up for Prem/LE, that's what I assume.

#209 6 years ago

I downgraded to v.89...fork ramp didn’t work. I replaced the 9d board...fork and everything else works great (I miss v.92). See the 2 images below of the 9d board. The center right, notice the burn on the board (original)...somethings overloading the board (prob a combo). 1st image is original. 2nd image is new.

71ADA28A-6642-4FB1-9B56-BE354196E391 (resized).jpeg71ADA28A-6642-4FB1-9B56-BE354196E391 (resized).jpeg
E32538D3-9291-4ABE-BA71-F410928D7BD3 (resized).jpegE32538D3-9291-4ABE-BA71-F410928D7BD3 (resized).jpeg

#213 6 years ago
Quoted from faqawi:

Well, I downloaded the old code. Took three times of turning on and it finally read the USB and kicked the screen on. Started download and it froze just like when I was trying to re download .92. Now on second week with this machine sitting there not working at all. Literally from hour 1 I've had issues. Still waiting on parts from stern. Distro is zero help. Just curious has anyone had to sue stern or the distro over a "lemon" before?

Wow. Sorry about your troubles. Not a pro, but wish I lived closer to help. Sounds like you need a new CPU/main board.

#230 6 years ago
Quoted from djoverpour:

Probably a stupid question, but I have a pro version running .92. No need for me to downgrade right?

Nope. Just the ones with a fork ramp (premium/le)

#232 6 years ago
Quoted from waveb67:

For anyone that has replaced their board, has Stern being charging for replacement parts?

No. I called the number on Sterns web site...not 1-800-knockers...and got Chas. It was a little wait on hold, but so worth it. I have been a pinhead for 15 years, but just a low time player. I am not a distro or route operator. He sent me a 9D board and ramp motor immediately, free of charge. I sent the motor and blown out 9D board back for testing (I didn't need the motor, and wasn't looking to keep what I wasn't going to use/need). All this angst against Stern on pinside...much is not to be believed. Nothing but props from me.

#244 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Jack the back legs up and see if that will help. Keep the game steep.

That's the first time I've heard that. I have mine at 6.5 degrees (or slightly flatter) and perfectly level side to side.

#246 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Push it to 6.8-7.0 and see.

Can you still backhand the Death Star at that slope? Maybe I'll try it.

#250 6 years ago
Quoted from Behnendl:

I had a couple questions on leveling. What are you using to get a read out in tenth of a degrees? Also, do you use the bubble level on the shooter lane as a reference?

I use the Bubble level app for the iPad. Put it on the surface level, and I position the iPad resting on my flippers laying flat. It'll give you side to side and slope. Any surface level app will work though.

#254 6 years ago

4 screws and 3 connectors...about 10 minutes. Take a picture of it hooked up before you disconnect to reconnect correctly.

#267 6 years ago
Quoted from Sinbad:

Can you explain how you bent them back into shape?
Access to the area is very limited and removing the forks involves partial disassembly of the playfield

Are the forks bending, or is it just play in the fork mech...As the ball hits them they move slightly side to side. Has this misalignment caused anyone any problems or failure of the fork ramp?

2 weeks later
#282 6 years ago
Quoted from Potatoloco:

My fork just got stuck over the weekend using .92 code. Nothing seems to work in terms of making it move again. Going to have a troubleshoot walkthrough with my distro tomorrow. Maybe I'll break out the whiskey later tonight and have a go at fixing it.

.92 burns the 9D board out (gives power to the fork ramp motor). That's why Stern took it down and updated to .93. Call Chas at Stern and they will send out a new board (first make sure I'm right about that board. You should see an obvious burn mark in the center right of the board...around D2.

#316 6 years ago

I know it's been discussed before, but I'm having a problem with the hyperloop. At the end of the run, occasionally the diverter is a millisecond to late and launches the ball. The ball then gets wedged between the side and the hyperloop, near the diverter. I think an air ball deflector across the area of the beginning of the diverter would prevent this. Has anyone heard of someone making this. I can rig something, but it won't look nearly as good.

1 week later
#322 6 years ago
Quoted from Potatoloco:

Yeah, it's 0.93 code.

I'm sure you've tried this, but disconnect and reconnect the board to make sure the connectors are seated. Also look at the connectors to make sure a wire hasn't pulled out. (Had a failed led on my Met and it was actually a bent contact in the socket).

#327 6 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Hey I finally destroyed the Death Star on my Premium yesterday. I noticed that the back of it doesn't seem to line up perfectly (some overlap) - Was there someone here that posted an easy fix for that?
Eric

I fixed mine when the two sides wouldn't line up after it exploded. Not sure if this is your problem, but see post #69 and the few before it.

2 months later
#401 6 years ago
Quoted from HPR:

I was tired of the cheap drains from the inner loop, too much of them. I installed a piece of rubber (red square in the picture) to act as some kind of diverter and now zero cheap drain from the inner loop. This is only a testing piece, i installed it at different locations and this location is the best i found. It have no effect on the speed and flow of the ball, only the direction is now perfect on flippers, no SDTM shots. The inner loop is now fun and fast as hell

Is that red rubber tape? How did you stick it there?

1 month later
#458 6 years ago
Quoted from TimberOne:

I am on V1.0 and still having the issue where flippers go dead after hyperloop.

I have that when playing R2D2, completed escape from the Death Star, then hitting the hyperloop when activated. It’s a bug that I hope is fixed with the next release. The game thinks you are choosing destroy the Death Star mission, but the ball is not stopped in the hyperloop. So, the flippers are disabled to let you choose, but the ball finishes he hyperloop and drains.

3 weeks later
#477 6 years ago

Looking for a lead. I swapped out the left pop bumper for a plasma pop bumper. It wasn’t visible enough. Moved the plasma to my Met (what a PITA) but looks great. When I reinstalled the original pop bumper, the led pcb didn’t work. I must have done something g to it. I contacted Stern, and they said they are on backorder and to contact a distro. I’ve tried a couple in my area, but they haven’t returned my messages. Anyone with any ideas. Part #511-7670-08.

1 week later
#501 6 years ago
Quoted from McPin54:

This might be a crazy question but should I keep my old code and not update to 1.01? I am having a blast on the previous version.
After reading some of the comments, I feel like the improvements are not really much of an improvement and I DON'T want a slow hyperloop.
Any thoughts?
Thank you

If you’re having fun...why update?

1 week later
#512 6 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Seriously, the distance between the posts of the left outlane vs the right is about a quarter of an inch even after moving the adjustable post down. I am thinking of drilling another hole...

That’s crazy talk. If you’re really annoyed, try thicker rubber rings on the post.

1 month later
#554 5 years ago
Quoted from TimberOne:

I was playing earlier and got hyperspace multiball. One ball, two, then three! That is a new record for me! Would four be possible? Yes, hit hyperspace ramp with the forth ball, bu no sooner did I hit the ramp and all 4 dropped out of the trap door. The hyperspace video coninued to play for a while. Is that correct or something wrong? I hit all 4 balls in quick succession.

Happens. This is a complex mech...no matter what pinside says. Pinball is full of variation. If someone doesn’t like that, they can use virtual pin. I like the real stuff. Sometimes you win, sometimes you don’t. What I love about pinball is the skill, but the randomness...you might just get f#!ked.

3 weeks later
#560 5 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Has anybody come up with a outhole protector? I notice that the edge of the playfield where the ball returns to the trough is wearing heavily and needs something like a Cliffy protector but can't find anything out there.

Not sure where you mean. The shooter lane after the lockout, or under the apron at the entrance of the trough (as the ball drains). If it’s the shooter lane, try a nudie (I had trouble with the first one, but he modified it and it works great). If under the apron, I haven’t had a problem with mine.

3 weeks later
#581 5 years ago
Quoted from chrisnack:

Hey everyone,
This looks like the best thread for problems/solutions. I've read/searched through and didn't find a solution. My Death Star isn't closing properly (upon testing or in game). I trimmed the notches on the back side, and it will close manually now, it would catch before. However, when it's fired (and opened) it doesn't spring back closed. It'll stick about 1" open. Looks like the left side goes where it should, but the right side doesn't rotate all the way back. Is there an adjustment somewhere? Not sure if the rod holding that half can be adjusted, or if i need to bend the spring to have more force.
Hopefully someone else has encountered the issue and has a solution.
Thanks in advance!

I haven’t done this, but I’ve read others have adjusted a thumbscrew in the bottom side of the deathstar. Look at the manual and it should show this.

1 month later
#592 5 years ago
Quoted from Behnendl:

I am having issue with hyperloop speed. It will not even make it all the way around once. It just started happening. I was running .03 and just update to .05 and it is still happening. Any thoughts?

Make sure all your magnets are working. Check the connections and use the service menu to help.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 285.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Palm Springs, CA
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dnapac.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-wars-le-problems-and-solutions?tu=dnapac and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.