12F7532C-74D1-4C23-B411-00903E072A83 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4111 (resized).jpg
20200927_130059 (resized).jpg
20200927_114202 (resized).jpg
IMG_0423 (resized).jpg
IMG_0422 (resized).jpg
021 (2) (resized).JPG
A36B34AC-C8DC-43E8-8021-809DDC17D93B (resized).jpeg
There are 723 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 15.
#101 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Welcome to the club!
My first-ever Stern upgrade was on SW. Not as bad as it seems (despite Stern's vague directions). There are good posts in this thread on upgrading, or just post with your questions and we'll be glad to help. The new code is pretty cool!

I think he is afraid to upgrade because of the fork issue (among others) and not necessarily because of the actual upgrade process...

#102 6 years ago

Just talked to Chaz from Stern. They have been having problems with the fork ramp. They aren't sure if it's the motor or a board, so he is sending me both and I'm gonna send back my old ones so they can troubleshoot it. Awesome service from Stern!

#103 6 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

Just talked to Chaz from Stern. They have been having problems with the fork ramp. They aren't sure if it's the motor or a board, so he is sending me both and I'm gonna send back my old ones so they can troubleshoot it. Awesome service from Stern!

thanks for taking the initiative. hopefully all of us premium/le owners will receive an upgrade kit if they find the issues.

#104 6 years ago

My Fork Ramp has ceased working on my SW LE as well .

#105 6 years ago
Quoted from Tastysirloin:

Did that happen before or after downloading v0.92?

#106 6 years ago

Fork Ramp
I think mine works fine but is it always supposed to hold up the ball when it travles from the right to the left? It seems likes it would help the flow if it let the ball complete the small loop
I also lowered the power on the flipper coils and i can still hit all my shots with out all the air balls.
As well as taking the power of the mystery eject way down you can catch the ball as it dribbles out.
new code is great

#107 6 years ago
Quoted from Tastysirloin:

The fork ramp on my LE just stopped working today as well. I updated to v0.92 this weekend.

#108 6 years ago

Starting to worry v0.92 is causing something to overload and cause the fork ramp to fail. Anybody have the fork ramp completely fail prior to update?

#109 6 years ago

I cant help but think that the ball constantly smacking into the back of the forks is contributing to these failures. I updated to .092 this weekend as well and have logged about 20 games and no issues (yet) ... my machine currently has 103 balls played on it so perhaps my time has not yet come.

#110 6 years ago
Quoted from RetroGamerJP:

I cant help but think that the ball constantly smacking into the back of the forks is contributing to these failures. I updated to .092 this weekend as well and have logged about 20 games and no issues (yet) ... my machine currently has 103 balls played on it so perhaps my time has not yet come.

Forks are very strong...I don't think the ball hitting the forks is a big problem. I had about 700 plays before v.92 and about 10 after when the fork ramp failed,

#111 6 years ago

Ok. I just updated to v0.92 and hoping the update is not related to the fork ramp failure.

So after updating SW to new code...I had to unlearn what I learned

#112 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Ok. I just updated to v0.92 and hoping the update is not related to the fork ramp failure.
So after updating SW to new code...I had to unlearn what I learned

You are reckless!

#113 6 years ago

I did as well update to 0.92, had only few games with 0.87 and everything worked as expected, out of the box.
A awesome game.
After 0.92 update I made just 20 games and the fork ramp is still working fine. Hope it will run stable.

#114 6 years ago

I have not updated yet...perhaps this weekend but fork ramp is key to this game

#115 6 years ago

I updated on Monday and my fork ramp stopped working too. Called Stern, he's going to call me back once they figure out if it's a software issue or a hardware issue.

#116 6 years ago
Quoted from FlyingW:

I updated on Monday and my fork ramp stopped working too. Called Stern, he's going to call me back once they figure out if it's a software issue or a hardware issue.

Did this happen after you power cycled the game after download or after your first game?

#117 6 years ago

All, same issue. Never had a problem with the ramp until I upgraded to .92, it worked for 1 day then the fork ramp died. Spoke to Chaz. They overnighted a controller board. Worked again...for 1 day. I'll be calling again tomorrow morning. Not sure what's up.

#118 6 years ago
Quoted from FourFlippers:

All, same issue. Never had a problem with the ramp until I upgraded to .92, it worked for 1 day then the fork ramp died. Spoke to Chaz. They overnighted a controller board. Worked again...for 1 day. I'll be calling again tomorrow morning. Not sure what's up.

I'm supposed to be getting replacement board and motor soon...I think I'll wait to install them, as this is looking more and more like a code problem causing a mechanical problem...was that the node 9 board, or the smaller 9D board?

#119 6 years ago

Update instructions:

Use an USB with NOTHING on it.

Unzip the file from sterns website to the USB stick. Put the two files on the USB stick only. No folders no nothing.

Browse the USB on your computer to confirm that there are two files and two files only.

Turn off your game. Take backglass out. Put the USB stick in either USB port on the CPU board. They are right in the middle.

Turn game on. It will prompt you to hit enter to start the update. Hit the black enter button inside the coin door.

Wait until it completes and tells you to remove the USB stick and reboot the game.

Remove stick and power off the game. Wait 1 minute or two then turn back on.

#120 6 years ago

Shit .... I do wait now and don't power on again. Just recognized that LE and Prem 0.92 isn't longer on the STERN website for download, seems they working on the code ....

#121 6 years ago

i've had .91 on my premium for a week i think now. It is on location, and i just checked on it for the first time in 5 days....everything is still working, jump ramp and all. I never updated to .92.

#122 6 years ago

Wow I really feel for you guys with the Premium/LE models, this is a big stinker. It is crazy that a software update can fry motors and components. This new Spike system is super sensitive and all of these node failures are concerning. I really am interested in a Star Wars Premium/LE but I am waiting until the dust settles and Stern irons out all of the issues. I literally am praying that they get everything figured out and continue to build this title up with fantastic updates. If Stern chooses to abandon SW Premium/LE hyperloop issues like they did for GOT Premium/LE left orbit diverter because of cost factors I will be tremendously disappointed.

#123 6 years ago

Hey STERN,
pls upload 0.91 again to your code side so that I can play while waiting of the fix.

Just submitted the request to STERN to upload 0.91 while they fixing the problem. Seems to be a longer story

#124 6 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

I'm supposed to be getting replacement board and motor soon...I think I'll wait to install them, as this is looking more and more like a code problem causing a mechanical problem...was that the node 9 board, or the smaller 9D board?

It was the smaller board, the one that supplies power to the fork ramp motor. This is BAD! Imagine you're at Expo, looking forward to playing the Prem or LE and the fork rampnis broke. You can't start the Death Star or Hoth missions, even with it disabled. It becomes less than a Pro model at that point!
They need to fix this FAST!!!! On top of that, the 0.92 code is still up there, allowing more of these games to break!!

#125 6 years ago

You're correct, it appears they pulled the code. It still shows, but when you click on the link to download it, its dead.
Good sign, they must be working on it.

#126 6 years ago

On the fork ramp, my fork ramp wasn't going down right and staying up all the time. I went into the test and both the down and up switches were showing engaged when the ramp was up. I was able to manually adjust the down switch and it seems to be working just fine now.

I think the code changed how it was looking at the switches and expects them to only work when they are supposed to so some of you may need to try adjusting the switches.

#127 6 years ago

Thanks for the input but during the ramp test, I manually moved the motor to trip the switches to read but I still got no voltage going from the board to the motor. I also tested the motor outside of the circuit and it works properly. Hopefully they'll address this quickly, or at least provide us some code to allow the game to grant mode starts without the ramp. Not near as fun but at least it'd be playable.

#128 6 years ago

Thanks for the input but during the ramp test, I manually moved the motor to trip the switches to read but I still got no voltage going from the board to the motor. I also tested the motor outside of the circuit and it works properly. Hopefully they'll address this quickly, or at least provide us some code to allow the game to grant mode starts without the ramp. Not near as fun but at least it'd be playable.

Well looks like I'll go play my other games this weekend and leave the SW off until we know more. I'd rather not toast a board...

#129 6 years ago

I hear ya! It may be fine to disable the fork ramp and/or disconnect it but again, not near as much fun. We'll see what happens.

#130 6 years ago
Quoted from the_one:

Hey STERN,
pls upload 0.91 again to your code side so that I can play while waiting of the fix.
Just submitted the request to STERN to upload 0.91 while they fixing the problem. Seems to be a longer story

The jump ramp did not change from .91 to .92.

Rob

#131 6 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

The jump ramp did not change from .91 to .92.
Rob

It sure seems like something happened. I didn't see any reports of bricked ramps prior to 0.92, and there are definitely a number of them here now. My ramp's still working, but I have noticed occasional new odd behavior since installing 0.92 -- ramp goes up or stays up about 1/4, which doesn't seem right.

Hopefully they'll get this straightened out quickly.

#132 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

That's the only time I've ever seen it in action as well!

Even worse is ONLY seeing it when your 12 year old did it,........and never lets you forget it

#133 6 years ago
Quoted from doomid:

My fork ramp got stuck up after the update as well. It ended up being the node 9d board, that controls the ramp. I swapped with my aerosmith board that controls the chest and it worked fine. I was later notified that it indeed is stuck up again. Something in the code is causing that node board to fail. Now i have 2 broken pins. This board will need to be replaced and cause unknown to me, has to be code...

Remember the 'good old days' when it was just a fuse.

#134 6 years ago

This is crazy, .92 froze my machine after owning it for 4 hours. Now it won’t turn on and trying to reload .92 is freezing mid download. Also my fork ramp didn’t work out of the box. Curious how many have contacted stern. They’re sending me new ramp setup and .92 game card since mine is jacked. A little ridiculous all of my 70’s-90’s Games fire right up for years and this POS won’t even turn on brand new. Pic is of screen freezing and going white during “download”

7E3DB249-F8D7-48D0-AA18-6AF916E0CFBA (resized).jpeg7E3DB249-F8D7-48D0-AA18-6AF916E0CFBA (resized).jpeg

#135 6 years ago
Quoted from faqawi:

This is crazy, .92 froze my machine after owning it for 4 hours. Now it won’t turn on and trying to reload .92 is freezing mid download. Also my fork ramp didn’t work out of the box. Curious how many have contacted stern. They’re sending me new ramp setup and .92 game card since mine is jacked. A little ridiculous all of my 70’s-90’s Games fire right up for years and this POS won’t even turn on brand new. Pic is of screen freezing and going white during “download”

Sorry that happened to you, frustrating start but glad to hear Stern's trying to work with you to solve the problem(s). When you say they're sending you a new "game card", are they sending you a new USB flash drive with new code on it (i.e. so you can try updating from a different USB flash drive than the one you used to take that picture)? Or a new CPU or node board or something?

Also, did you get a sense of how hard the fork ramp mech will be to replace? Any soldering involved or is it a plug and play swap? I'm curious how this will play out if the end up needing to swap a bunch of ramps.

#136 6 years ago

After the v0.92 update, I made sure all the LEDs on the CPU board in the backbox completely turned off before I turned the game back on. I hope this is what is saving my fork ramp. Played 10 games after the update on Tuesday and another 20 ass kicking games today and the fork ramp is still working.

#137 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Sorry that happened to you, frustrating start but glad to hear Stern's trying to work with you to solve the problem(s). When you say they're sending you a new "game card", are they sending you a new USB flash drive with new code on it (i.e. so you can try updating from a different USB flash drive than the one you used to take that picture)? Or a new CPU or node board or something?
Also, did you get a sense of how hard the fork ramp mech will be to replace? Any soldering involved or is it a plug and play swap? I'm curious how this will play out if the end up needing to swap a bunch of ramps.

They’re sending me a new SD card preloaded. Looks like it’s gonna be a bit of a pain to change out the motor and fork.

#138 6 years ago
Quoted from faqawi:

They’re sending me a new SD card preloaded. Looks like it’s gonna be a bit of a pain to change out the motor and fork.

I would trade out the 9D (small power board that runs the fork ramp) before I tried to trade out the fork ramp. I've seen others have luck with swapping just that board out. But, unless they've fixed the code, all the ones I know of have failed a second time.

#139 6 years ago

Yep, Failed in less than 24hrs with the original board and then again with the second. My guess is it fails when hitting a combination of shots. e.g hit Mystery followed by the right ramp, then left ramp, then right inner loop and BAM!! Fork ramp gets stuck in the up position and blows the board.

Again, my suggestion is to disable it, disconnect it or both!

#140 6 years ago

Sucks I want to play the game but dont want it to break guess I will just let it sit.

#141 6 years ago

I hate to read about all the failures. I've got 127 games on V0.92.0 and the only problems I'm having with the ramp were there before I updated the code (ramp sticking due to ramp blades being bent outward). I'll bet Stern is scratching their heads.

#142 6 years ago
Quoted from Nickbtx:

I hate to read about all the failures. I've got 127 games on V0.92.0 and the only problems I'm having with the ramp were there before I updated the code (ramp sticking due to ramp blades being bent outward). I'll bet Stern is scratching their heads.

Were your ramps bent on arrival?

#143 6 years ago
Quoted from Nickbtx:

My ramp blades were bent as well.guess West Texas got the shaft

#144 6 years ago

Were your ramps bent on arrival?

I can't say for sure because I didn't examine them that closely on arrival. After a few hundred plays I noticed the ramp would not drop completely until the ball search kicked in (the tips of blades were dragging on the outer edges of the slots in the PF). I took a large pair of hemostats, with heat shrink tubing over the tips to avoid scratching the ramp, and squeezed the tips of the ramp blades back together. That worked for a while, but they're starting to spread again. I think the ramp needs to be made from thicker material or made from a stronger alloy. In spite of it...I love the poop out of this game!!!

IMAG1284[1] (resized).jpgIMAG1284[1] (resized).jpg

#145 6 years ago
Quoted from Nickbtx:

I can't say for sure because I didn't examine them that closely on arrival. After a few hundred plays I noticed the ramp would not drop completely until the ball search kicked in (the tips of blades were dragging on the outer edges of the slots in the PF). I took a large pair of hemostats, with heat shrink tubing over the tips to avoid scratching the ramp, and squeezed the tips of the ramp blades back together. That worked for a while, but they're starting to spread again. I think the ramp needs to be made from thicker material or made from a stronger alloy. In spite of it...I love the poop out of this game!!!

Thanks for the additional details. I've never felt easy about the ball constantly hitting the backside of the ramps. I dont have any bends in mine (yet) but it's definitely something we all need to keep an eye on.

As well as the ball hitting and bending the edges of the metal entry ramps. I know someone else already posted some pics of their ramps already banged up pretty bad. Mine have started to do that as well - I added some rubber edging over the ends to prevent any further damage but I think Stern underestimated that the nearby targets would protect those edges from the ball.

We are really loving the SW pin as well, I just hope it hols up over time.

#147 6 years ago

I learned that while updating the code the node boards are getting updated as well.
Not sure if a downgrade can get handled by them as well as expected. Might be a risk that you "damage" them.
I did couple of games today with 0.92 again, at least 2 hours gameplay without any problems.

#148 6 years ago
Quoted from the_one:

I did couple of games today with 0.92 again, at least 2 hours gameplay without any problems.

damn bro ... a couple games = 2 hours of gameplay? Teach me!

#149 6 years ago

So ... my forks are definitely bending outward as well. Although they do not seem to be impairing the up/down motion of the ramp (yet)... I know they were not like that out of the box because I got pretty intimate with the various components of the game when I was installing the playfield protector.

seems like Stern would have programmed the pop-up post to be up at the same time as the ramp and protect it.

#150 6 years ago

So ... my forks are definitely bending outward as well. Although they do not seem to be impairing the up/down motion of the ramp (yet)... I know they were not like that out of the box because I got pretty intimate with the various components of the game when I was installing the playfield protector.
seems like Stern would have programmed the pop-up post to be up at the same time as the ramp and protect it.

The game is still new, but the bending forks could be a problem down the road. But like some things in pinball, it might just be a wear and tear item that gets replaced. Hopefully future replacements will be better and non bending. If not, someone will make improved parts that don't bend.

The up post keeps the ball from backspinning out of the loop.

Mine are bent a little too, but not as bad as shown in some pictures.

Rob

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Potomac, MD
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 285.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Palm Springs, CA
$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

There are 723 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-wars-le-problems-and-solutions/page/3?hl=legionsoup and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.