IMG_0129 (resized).JPG
WTF_DUDE (resized).png
82-2 (resized).jpg
MMMMK (resized).jpg
Amen (resized).jpg
IMG_0403 (resized).JPG
matthew mcconaughey car advert (resized).jpg
31poW1lKtjL (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider apollyon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

I think another thing Stern didn't count on is the backlash they are getting for not honoring the Star Wars theme with the very best they could do. They removed the magnets to save a few dollars - on a game where the central theme is using the force. The Tie Fighter on a spring as the only toy on the pro. And the Death Star is white for heaven's sake! They didn't even care enough to color it gray. I need to type it again: they didn't care enough to color it gray.
They have pissed off a lot of fans by showing so much disrespect for the Star Wars license.

?!? Have you played or even seen the game? The Death Star on mine, just like everyone else's is in fact GREY. Not white. Nor gray I guess to be specific.

To say that Stern did not honour the theme because they did not put a playfield magnet on the game is just nonsense. The game totally feels like Star Wars. Classic sound fx. Movie clips. Movie voices. Even the C3PO and Admiral Akbar sound alikes for custom callouts are well done. John Williams score. And the game plays fast as hell, just like you are piloting around in the Star Wars universe. Give me this all day long over a slow boring wide body JJP pin with 18 toys and individually controlled drop targets. Dwight has done an amazing job with the code to make the game feel and play like Star Wars. The game may not be for everyone, and sure more could have been added "toy" wise but to say that Stern hasn't honoured the theme is bs.

IMG_0403 (resized).JPGIMG_0403 (resized).JPG

#195 6 years ago

Licensing restrictions. I spoke directly to Steve Ritchie about this regarding Star Wars. Simple as that.

#199 6 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

Cost cutting does not always lead to higher profits. I've been thinking for years: why doesn't Stern just nail the art on every damn machine they release from now on? - I mean hit it out of the park.
I mean Aerosmith was a work of art and ghostbusters also very nice but what about others? Look like talented high school art class efforts to me - lazy photoshopped pasterama where you can just see from a distance that it's just done good enough but the love is missing. I mean really, SW looks just OK - I have not heard a single collector say they love it - it's not terrible - just ininspired.
The rerelease of AC/DC is another example. An embarrassing lack of effort there like someone phoned someone and said to change a couple of things before 5PM the same day.
Why so little effort? Well my only guess is to save money - cheap bastards.
Now here is my point. Are they really saving money if they sell less games?
So, as an example, is it a wise business decision to cheap out on AC/DC art? Lets say they found an artist that would completely redo the art for AC/DC of the same caliber as AS - how much would this cost them? Let's say $50,000 (could be less I'm not sure). And let's say they make $1000 profit per game.
So now the question is: if they rerelease AC/DC with brand new art that is just crazy good like GB or AS would they sell 50 more games than they normally would? I say yes and they have a chance of perhaps selling many more.
Now what about SW? What if it had much better art? I'm sure they would have made that investment back in spades.
My main point is that this is just one example where I think the management is failing and hurting the hobby and perhaps even their own bottom line.
Anyone else had these thoughts? Why is Stern so OK with mediocre efforts and not going for home runs more? The big bucks have to be with the home runs. Get some balls and go for it Stern! You can do so much better!

You pose a question and state that the only answer to the question is that Stern are cheap and lazy. I answer your question with facts that I have directly from the source. Steve gave specific examples to me of how difficult Disney / Lucasfilm was to deal with respecting the art. How they required extremely minute details changed to their liking. You reply that you don't care, the art sucks, and your interpretation is the truth.

Whatever.

#204 6 years ago

Ask Aurich what a treat it was to work with the license holder on the art for Aliens.

#214 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Licensing restrictions don't lead to bad art. Licensing restrictions may limit them to certain assets, but a good artist can then arrange those assets into something nice. Stern often has problems using assets in a good way. Look at the first version of The Hobbit playfield vs. the revised version. Two different artists take on the same licensed assets. It's night and day. When Stern Photoshops assets, they're generally pretty bad at it...and they don't stop production to revise like Jack did - factory's gotta keep churning product.
Anyway, "it's the licensor's fault" is only half the story. The other half is the artist assigned to the project and what they bring to the table. There's a reason most of Steve's games don't fare well in the art department - he doesn't have an eye for art direction & the artists he works with don't have any incentive to push themselves.

I agree with that. My comments were more in response to the suggestion that the art on some Stern games isn't great because of greed or laziness.

Art is subjective too. What appeals to some doesn't to others. And not all art styles work with all themes. Cartoony / highly stylized art works on Metallica and Aerosmith. But it wouldn't be the same on other themes.

Personally I like the art on Star Wars. I think it looks great. But what the hell do I know.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Potomac, MD
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 285.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Palm Springs, CA
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider apollyon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-wars-le-is-likely-my-last-new-stern-machine?tu=apollyon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.