(Topic ID: 158947)

Star Wars LE ... How many should they make?

By Beez

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 138 posts
  • 59 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by dmbjunky
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1e8e96932207f11b630d05344990ec77_(resized).jpg
    There are 138 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 7 years ago

If they make it look at good as GB. 1000

if they make it look like GOT .... 25

#52 7 years ago

Why would you make Star Wars a LE in the first place? One of the most popular movie franchises of all time, you do not need the LE to sell those.. I can see lesser titles, but Star Wars??

#53 7 years ago
    Quoted from balboarules:

Why would you make Star Wars a LE in the first place? One of the most popular movie franchises of all time, you do not need the LE to sell those.. I can see lesser titles, but Star Wars??

Because the LE is much more profitable than the Pro. You don't think they are adding thousands of extra dollars in parts, do you? It is all about the Benjamins.

#54 7 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

It is all about the Benjamins.

...or the Tubmans.

#55 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

Actually they will, because of Stern's business model. If it is a good theme people will pre-order regardless. The way Stern does things now requires that if you want a desirable LE model you are forced to go in blind before it sells out. Is it a risk-Yes but if you want one this is the risk you must take. Star Wars will be a pinball that you will need to order without knowing if it is great.

Ok, but this goes back to my original title thought. If people would pay $10k for a Star Wars pin, just based on theme and nothing else - why do the two existing original trilogy pins sell for $2k-ish? You'd thing SW fans who aren't pin savvy would want those no matter what. I don't see people biting instantly on this one like Met and GB.

Quoted from Jasontaps:

I think you missed the joke.
    How many lines in The Force Awakens did Mark have?

You tell me. I haven't seen it.

#56 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Ok, but this goes back to my original title thought. If people would pay $10k for a Star Wars pin, just based on theme and nothing else - why do the two existing original trilogy pins sell for $2k-ish? You'd thing SW fans who aren't pin savvy would want those no matter what. I don't see people biting instantly on this one like Met and GB.

Hmmm...hard to say.

I think the Data East Star Wars is probably one of the "strongest" DE's in terms of price. What DE's are valued higher? Guns and Roses? So, in my opinion, the theme really does help increase value in this case.

Sega Star Wars: Man, Sega's don't get any love. Again, there's not really a Sega out there that is stupidly valuable (well, unless it is very low production...). Also...the Sega Star Wars wasn't really all that great.

Star Wars Phantom Menace: Alright! Now we get to a Williams game, and the value is pretty low compared to other Williams games, and softer than the other Pin2k game (RFM).

They did make a metric crap-ton of the machine, and the game is saddled with the Phantom Menace license (Jar Jar? Yipppeeee!!! That is so wizard!!)

I think with Stern's track record and historical value of their recent pins, it isn't a stretch to think that the theme could possibly bump values up.

Of course, I cannot predict the future...so all of this is just pure theory.

Pete

#57 7 years ago

There's plenty of Star Wars pinball machines already and nobody really gives a shit about any of them besides the DE game, and that's not exactly A-list either.

A new SW pin will sell ok. And then a month later the hype for Back to the Future or Iron Maiden or whatever the hell else will crank up and it'll be forgotten.

Star Wars is an unstoppable beast in one place - the box office. Everywhere else it's just another overlicensed property that is pretty undistinguished in the marketplace.

It's funny seeing people get so hyped for this and thinking if it has an LCD it'll overtake Addams Family.

The last Star Wars pin had a TV screen too, remember? How'd that work out?

#58 7 years ago

Star Wars celebration is returning to Orlando next April.
    Could this be further proof Stern is getting closer to releasing this as a title.

http://www.starwarscelebration.com/Orlando/May-the-Fourth-Be-With-You/

#59 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

. . .
    "Quoted from Jasontaps:
    I think you missed the joke.
    How many lines in The Force Awakens did Mark have?"
    You tell me. I haven't seen it.

Since you haven't seen the ending of The Force Awakens, you absolutely must watch it. Thankfully just the end clip has been posted on YouTube. Please check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=uD51cdLbZJc

#60 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinterest:

This is a non-sequitur comment.
    Whether or not a title is produced with a mono color versus a color display has zero to do with how many titles a company can produce a year.

True, but other people want to point to Stern's "competitors" and comment on how far ahead they are of Stern in terms of technology. Maybe if those other companies were no so fixated on things like this they would be able to design and build games at a rate of more than one title per year or for some one title every three years.

#61 7 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Because the LE is much more profitable than the Pro. You don't think they are adding thousands of extra dollars in parts, do you? It is all about the Benjamins.

No, I do not think that at all, I think this particular title does not need a LE, just max out the premium with everything, and charge what you would for an LE. Then make a ton of extras you can buy, the Star Wars floor mat, The Jedi approved ball launcher, The Darth Vader wall outlet..

#62 7 years ago
    Quoted from balboarules:

No, I do not think that at all, I think this particular title does not need a LE, just max out the premium with everything, and charge what you would for an LE. .

Then they'd lose a very profitable market - Premium buyers.

#63 7 years ago

Almost everyone loves the first three Star Wars films (Episodes 4 thru 6). Episode 1 was made when Lucas had young children, so it featured a young Jedi youth and the comical Jar-Jar Binks. Now Disney has gone overly politically correct and made the main heroes of the newest film a girl (ala Hunger Games) and a minority character. If a Stern LE features the characters from films 4 thru 6 while the pro features the latest cast, how many of you are going to want an LE?

#64 7 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

Now Disney has gone overly politically correct and made the main heroes of the newest film a girl (ala Hunger Games) and a black guy. I have no interest in a pinball game featuring them.

totally agree...who wants to look at black dudes or chics all day?!?!

#65 7 years ago
    Quoted from balboarules:

No, I do not think that at all, I think this particular title does not need a LE, just max out the premium with everything, and charge what you would for an LE. Then make a ton of extras you can buy, the Star Wars floor mat, The Jedi approved ball launcher, The Darth Vader wall outlet..

Oh it's not about whether the world NEEDS an LE - like everything in life, it just comes down to money.

Why did they make a new Star Wars movie? Answer: 247 million dollar opening weekend.

They'll keep making sequels as long as we keep buying tickets.
    Stern will keep making diff flavours of LEs as long as they keep selling.

#66 7 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

Almost everyone loves the first three Star Wars films (Episodes 4 thru 6). Episode 1 was made when Lucas had young children, so it featured a young Jedi youth and the comical Jar-Jar Binks. Now Disney has gone overly politically correct and made the main heroes of the newest film a girl (ala Hunger Games) and a black guy. I have no interest in a pinball game featuring them. If a Stern LE features the characters from films 4 thru 6 while the pro features the latest cast, how many of you are going to want an LE?

Will there ever come a time when idiots get tired of embarrassing themselves in front of countless online readers?

If the internet is any indication...no.

#67 7 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

Now Disney has gone overly politically correct and made the main heroes of the newest film a girl (ala Hunger Games) and a black guy.

Oh hello, Sexist Racist.

Here's an interesting fact. There are a lot of girls and black guys on this planet. Pretty disgusting that you think their inclusion in movies is "politically correct".

#68 7 years ago

If only they movies where the heroes are white men.

#69 7 years ago
    Quoted from Tigger64:

Oh it's not about whether the world NEEDS an LE - like everything in life, it just comes down to money.
    Why did they make a new Star Wars movie? Answer: 247 million dollar opening weekend.
    They'll keep making sequels as long as we keep buying tickets.
    Stern will keep making diff flavours of LEs as long as they keep selling.

Of course it is about money, all I was saying was I do not think it would take a LE to sell a ton of this title, Just make a full boat premium, and offer a ton of extra add on's.

#70 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Here's an interesting fact. There are a lot of girls and black guys on this planet. Pretty disgusting that you think their inclusion in movies is "politically correct".

The cast of the current film should certainly appeal to moviegoers who loved films like Hunger Games in addition to carryover fans of the Star Wars franchise. No question the films will be a huge success. But those viewers are not the core pinball collectors, who may be more likely to identify with the original Star Wars characters they grew up with from the first trilogy and may actually purchase a Stern Star Wars pin. I like all kinds of movies featuring a variety of actors and actresses and I resent your generalization that I think their inclusion in all movies is to be political correct. However, the casting of the new Star Wars film is a definite change in direction from the original films and could either be an attempt by Walt Disney studios to attract the huge Hunger Games audience or could have been done with PC in mind.

#71 7 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

However, the casting of the new Star Wars film is a definite change in direction from the original films...

Well in their defense it is the only change in direction...
    ...or plot...

#72 7 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

However, the casting of the new Star Wars film is a definite change in direction from the original films and could either be an attempt by Walt Disney studios to attract the huge Hunger Games audience or could have been done with PC in mind.

You're the one seeing a problem with gender and color. This is your problem. Based on how much money the movie made, thankfully it's not a problem most people have.

#73 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Ok, but this goes back to my original title thought. If people would pay $10k for a Star Wars pin, just based on theme and nothing else - why do the two existing original trilogy pins sell for $2k-ish? You'd thing SW fans who aren't pin savvy would want those no matter what.

With respect you are talking apples and oranges. Sega/ Data East and Williams Pinball 2000 come no where near the level of a well designed modern Stern machine. Star Wars fans are not going to be the base for purchasing this title, just like Kiss fans were not the base customers for the Kiss title. It will be mainly operators and pinheads who like Star Wars and it will probably be a great earner on location because of the theme and the newer technology like the integration of the LCD. Lots of Pinheads are Star Wars fans.

#74 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

With respect you are talking apples and oranges. Sega/ Data East and Williams Pinball 2000 come no where near the level of a well designed modern Stern machine.

I know the DE and Sega Star Wars games are shit...but plenty of people think that THEME alone will sell expensive LEs. Theme alone doesn't sell expensive SW pinballs, this has been proven.

Quoted from pinmister:

Star Wars fans are not going to be the base for purchasing this title, just like Kiss fans were not the base customers for the Kiss title.

Disagree....themes are used specifically to attract fans, especially nostalgic themes. Ghostbusters buyers? GHOSTBUSTERS fans. Metallica buyers? METALLICA fans. IMO, Star Wars fans love Star Wars merch...but in the form of figures, toys of ships, shirts, video games, things like that...they get their collector buzz from those items. Pinball seems to be off their radar.

Look, I'm sure it will sell fine - but I don't think jacking up the price to take advantage of hardcore fans will work.

#75 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Disagree....themes are used specifically to attract fans, especially nostalgic themes. Ghostbusters buyers? GHOSTBUSTERS fans

Disagree fans do not spend $5-$8500K on a nostalgic item, they buy tchotchkes like Slimer Pizza cutter, and Staypuff bank for $30. People who are into pinball buy expensive pinball machines.

#76 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

Disagree fans do not spend $5-$8500K on a nostalgic item, they buy tchotchkes like Slimer Pizza cutter, and Staypuff bank for $30. People who are into pinball buy expensive pinball machines.

Of course people into pinball buy expensive pinball machines - but they also have to LOVE the theme to spend a shit ton on one. However, themes like Ghostbusters attract non-pinball people to buy their first machine. A ton of my friends who don't have pins have contacted me about GB. It will be a first for many.

#77 7 years ago

F Star Wars Holmes.

I want to see a Mexican super hero pin!

Nacho Libre por favor

#78 7 years ago

"Lots of Pinheads are Star Wars fans."

Older pin nerds are going to eat this up.

But I think it's going to be more like Crazy said and it will come and go and probably disappoint in overall sales for Stern because of the pricing.

And the Alien pin should be hitting full force by then at a much lower price.

#79 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

Yes and No. I grew up in the 80s playing pinball and arcade games. I never considered ever even owning a pin until my buddy said "Im pretty sure Metallica is coming, do you want in?" The theme got me, or was it because i liked pinball 30 years ago that got me? Im going to say theme, because my buddy said pins hold value pretty well, so even if it sucked, someone will buy it for what you paid, or close to it (LE Versions) I have my METLE and it wont be going anywhere ever. Now that I am planning on purchasing a second pin, Iron Maiden, you could say that is a mix of game and theme, but if it sucks, I know Ill be able to sell it for what I paid, or close to it lol

#80 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Oh hello, Sexist Racist.

Thank you almighty guilty honkey of the internet! This is why these terms are now weightless.

#81 7 years ago

I'd be dissapointed if they split into dark side/light side LEs. Like if I'm a big Star Wars fan and want a Star Wars pinball machine, I want it to be all of Star Wars, not just one side.

#82 7 years ago
    Quoted from TOK:

Thank you almighty guilty honkey of the internet! This is why these terms are now weightless.
    Whether someone butts in front of you in line, you get passed over for a job, or you simply disagree with an opinion, the other party is a racist, sexist or bigot.

Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

I'd be dissapointed if they split into dark side/light side LEs. Like if I'm a big Star Wars fan and want a Star Wars pinball machine, I want it to be all of Star Wars, not just one side.

How about a "Girl" Edition and a "Black Guy" Edition....that will go over HUGE with this crowd.

#83 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Contents edited by Mod team

I didn't write anything about the movie, just your over-reaction to a comment. And what do you know, your follow up was a ballistic over-reaction.

Maybe stick to pinball talk if everything else turns you into a hand wringing mess.

#84 7 years ago
    Quoted from TxJay:

Oh boy! Is this the pin that Stern finally decides to move into modern times with a LCD or color DMD? How many times has that been promised? I'm trying to think of any other manufacture that has produced a pin and still uses mono color DMDs.
    JJP?...NO
    Spooky?...NO
    Dutch Pinball?...No
    Highway Pinball?...No
    Multimorphic?...No
    Stern?...YES
    Keeping my fingers crossed that the next pin is the one.

Wow you compare Stern to a list of companies that may not be hear in a year

#85 7 years ago
    Quoted from TOK:

I didn't write anything about the movie, just your over-reaction to a comment. And what do you know, your follow up was a ballistic over-reaction.

What does it say about you that you felt compelled to react to my reaction, and not to the guy who thinks its wrong for a space movie to have a "girl' and a "black guy" in it?

Quoted from TOK:

Maybe stick to pinball talk if everything else turns you into a hand wringing mess.

I'd love to stick to pinball, but when people say dopey racist sexist shit, there will be a reaction.

#86 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Contents edited by mod team

Um...welcome back?

#87 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Oh hello, Sexist Racist.

hello idiot liberal that wants to fit in and can't stand others opinions that are different.

Disney ignores their target audience (white males). Also lets ignore the fact that natural human tendency is to prefer what we most resemble.

#88 7 years ago
    Quoted from nate1981s:

Disney ignores their target audience (white males).

That target audience is already baked in....there's no need to try to attract something they already have

Quoted from nate1981s:

Also lets ignore the fact that natural human tendency is to prefer what we most resemble.

EDIT: ah mods are here

#89 7 years ago
    Quoted from nate1981s:

hello idiot liberal that wants to fit in and can't stand others opinions that are different. .

The opinion that a "girl' and a "black guy" somehow make Star Wars bad is a stupid fucking opinion. Acknowledging that fact has nothing to do with fitting in. You just want to be an asshole without being called out on it. Sorry. Calling you out. Asshole.

Quoted from nate1981s:

Disney ignores their target audience (white males).

Disney's audience is white males? Is this the demographic that made Frozen a huge hit?

I'm not sure if you're joking or serious...do you not live in a world with women or people of various ethnicities? Do you only watch shows/movies about white men? Why do women and non-whites scare you? Pussy.

Quoted from nate1981s:

Also lets ignore the fact that natural human tendency is to prefer what we most resemble.

If you resemble a human, then why can't you prefer humans...overall...and not just white men? What time is your Klan meeting tonite? I hope it doesn't clash with your "No Girls Allowed" Club.

#90 7 years ago

True Story, I have a buddy that works for ILM and said Lucas was almost done making the newest special edition DVD set that removed Leia & Lando from 4,5,& 6
    Sadly Goddamn Disney bought him out and here we are today; what a disgrace!

#91 7 years ago

As probably the biggest star wars geek on this board, I would like to chime in.

Before the movie was released, I was nervous about a black guy and a woman as the lead for the movie. It's a different direction for the franchise.

After the first of 12 showings that I watched, all I could think about was how great both were. IMO, Rey will go down as one of the best characters in this franchise. I don't think Finn is a top character, but overall, he was a great character.

The order I like:
    1 - Star Wars
    2 - Empire
    3 - Jedi and Awakens (tie)
    4 - Sith
    5 - Clones
    6 - Menace

#92 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

True Story, I have a buddy that works for ILM and said Lucas was almost done making the newest special edition DVD set that removed Leia & Lando from 4,5,& 6
    Sadly Goddamn Disney bought him out and here we are today; what a disgrace!

Also, Luke Skywalker is now a Mexican, and Uncle Owen and Aunt whatshername are now both dudes.

#93 7 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Before the movie was released, I was nervous about a black guy and a woman as the lead for the movie. It's a different direction for the franchise.
    After the first of 12 showings that I watched, all I could think about was how great both were. IMO, Rey will go down as one of the best characters in this franchise. I don't think Finn is a top character, but overall, he was a great character.
    The order I like:
    1 - Star Wars
    2 - Empire
    3 - Jedi and Awakens (tie)
    4 - Sith
    5 - Clones
    6 - Menace

This is pretty much how I rank them too, though your 4/5/6 are all sides of the same horrible coin and I don't really bother to rank or consider them.

I'll still give Jedi a slight edge over Awakes because...come on it's still awesome. Vader's death scene is still better than anything in Awakens. I agree the new actors and characters are very good and that's one of the reasons I'm actually looking forward to the next movie.

After Phantom Menace I was like "two more movies of these stiffs?! Jesus."

#94 7 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Rey was great. She'll go down as the best character. Finn's character seemed too forced (no pun). I blame the writers, not the actor. His character will evolve though.

The biggest letdown for me was the lack of a memorable theme music. John Williams dropped the ball. Where the hell were the character themes???

Back on topic, they should make exactly 800 LEs. Why 800? Cause it sounds about right.

#95 7 years ago

Reminder, "ignore user" is a great tool to use in some cases. I only have two people on "ignore" but its a great way to clean up clutter and nonsense.

As for Star Wars "favorites", I like the movies but not into deep geekdom over them. I couldn't pick out one versus the other.

#96 7 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

As for Star Wars "favorites", I like the movies but not into deep geekdom over them. I couldn't pick out one versus the other.

I've reached that level of nerdness by knowing what line is from which movie....I would like to have a life, but someone has to watch my TV and movies...

#97 7 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

With a name like Trekkie your request is DENIED

#98 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

With a name like Trekkie your request is DENIED

When I signed up, I owned 3 machines, of which 2 were Star Trek machines.

This is me:

1e8e96932207f11b630d05344990ec77_(resized).jpg1e8e96932207f11b630d05344990ec77_(resized).jpg

#99 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rickbaron36:

Why not limit the LE production to whatever the market demand is? Have open orders set up for a time period tbd by Stern. For example, Stern advertises on Facebook that they will take orders for the LE from June 1-5, the month of June, July 1 from 9AM TO 9PM... Production is then limited to whatever the actual market demand is. If there are 3 or 4 different limited editions you will have different numbers for each one.

They could call it the "Time Limited Edition." This is more or less what JJP did with the Hobbit Smaug Edition. But Stern's system seems to be working well for them so it's hard to believe they'll change it up.

#100 7 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

When I signed up, I owned 3 machines, of which 2 were Star Trek machines.

And this is your case for being "The biggest SW fan on Pinside?"

There are 138 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-wars-le-how-many-should-they-make/page/2?hl=hatmoose and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.