(Topic ID: 217226)

Star Wars Pro is ranked at 157? GoT Pro is 113?

By Jgel

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 55 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by rai
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

Just noticed something interesting. I don't put a lot of thought in the top 100 but I have been enjoying my Star Wars Pro and decided to check where it is on the list... 157? I can't believe that the Pinside members placed this game out of the top 150? Game of Thrones Pro is at 113? Are there 113 games better than GOT? I didn't realize that the Pro's get so little respect. Not really looking for the "Who cares about the ranking" reply. I don't really care but wondered if there was a reason for this.

#2 5 years ago

The reason is that the other games ranked higher have higher rankings.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from Jgel:

Just noticed something interesting.

Is the top 100 really ever interesting? I mean besides when people start voting Shaq Attack into the top 10?

Quoted from Jgel:

I can't believe that the Pinside members placed this game out of the top 150? ...I don't really care but wondered if there was a reason for this.

This is very simple. Everyone hates the game because it involves low amount of dolls and high amount of math (well so they think). They assume with scoring like that there's no "journey" in the game *gag* and dismiss it.
I owned & loved GOT and there were around 4 people talking aboot it on here...not popular.

"It shoots well, but it is way too complicated rule wise."
"but not straight forward enough for casual location pin."
"Relatively basic design... I feel like they could have done more with this modern IP"
"he scoring is also a heavy tilt towards the better players who know the very specific rules"
"Pro version playfield looks like they forgot to install a bunch of stuff "
"Nice looking game, reminds of lethal weapon release back in the day,"
"I LOVE Star Wars. I have over $20K of Star Wars collectibles..."
"It is good for decoration... not very fun to play. It becomes boring after a few minutes... " <--- 2 star review

Can't please everyone.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from Jgel:

I have been enjoying my Star Wars Pro and decided to check where it is on the list... 157? I can't believe that the Pinside members placed this game out of the top 150?

Believe it.

Quoted from Jgel:

Game of Thrones Pro is at 113? Are there 113 games better than GOT? I

According to the pinside rankings, yes.

Quoted from Jgel:

I don't really care but wondered if there was a reason for this.

If users post better reviews for these games they will move up in the rankings.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Is the top 100 really ever interesting? I mean besides when people star voting Shaq Attack into the top 10?

This is very simple. Everyone hates the game because it involves low amount of dolls and high amount of math (well so they think). They assume with scoring like that there's no "journey" in the game *gag* and dismiss it.
I owned & loved GOT and there were around 4 people talking aboot it on here...not popular.

Not really - people hate star wars b/c it's a game with so much potential and it's not good. There are always people here and there that like games but the majority of people would consider this game a failure. That's why the game is ranked like it is - based on people reviewing it and submitting scores and the majority of scores are not good hence the ranking. It's actually that simple.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

The reason is that the other games ranked higher have higher rankings.

Quoted from delt31:

It's actually that simple.

#7 5 years ago

aerosmith is 29 and houdini is 36...

its all just so arbitrary but if You rank the games You play and how You like them, You can create Your own list of top 100

#8 5 years ago

I have no idea how this list is created. There needs to be a better way. In my mind Star Wars Le is one of the best machines ever crafted.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

I have no idea how this list is created. There needs to be a better way.

what do you mean?

people rank them and its the average out of everyone who ranked them. how can you not know how the list is created lol

In my mind Star Wars Le is one of the best machines ever crafted.

your opinion is clearly more important than the rest then, so we answered your first question... just have you create it from your mind.

i'm just being ornery don't mind me

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

This is very simple. Everyone hates the game because it involves low amount of dolls and high amount of math (well so they think).

This - pinside ranks games on the number of dolls for sure. Not the gameplay. Star Wars is a masterpiece regardless of the low number of glued dolls.

#11 5 years ago

At best the top 100 is a loose general consensus of pinsiders, and is unlikely to represent your list. Just think if you were an EM pinball fan that sincerely prefer those to the more recent dmd and lcd pins. If that were the case, you would think the top 25 was horseshit.

Play and own what you like, and use the top 25 as pins you should try as many seem to like them. YMMV

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

At best the top 100 is a loose general consensus of pinsiders, and is unlikely to represent your list. Just think if you were an EM pinball fan that sincerely prefer those to the more recent dmd and lcd pins. If that were the case, you would think the top 25 was horseshit.

well there is a separate top 100 list for EMs

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

well there is a separate top 100 list for EMs

Nevermind ...

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

This - pinside ranks games on the number of dolls for sure. Not the gameplay. Star Wars is a masterpiece regardless of the low number of glued dolls.

I love my pro the game is awesome.

#15 5 years ago

Hey some folks like to have fun when they play pinball and some don’t.

If folks don’t like the rules, design or gameplay of SW or GOT they can go up to Steve Ritchie at a show and tell him what they think. Help Steve out folks! He is getting old! I would pay money to see that. Lol!

I do like Caucasian2steps reviews. He follows up on code updates etc. See how he reviews the titles you mention.

Really it is all about what you like though.

#16 5 years ago

If you haven't read the reviews they're comedy gold.

This one is my favorite.

"It shoots well, but it is way too complicated rule wise. I played it at a arcade and could not understand all the lock bar pressing and changing multipliers. "

All the lock bar pressing? You mean shooting tie fighters when it says on the screen hit button to kill tie fighters? And lock and unlock multiplier? It's like you're not even trying lol.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Just think if you were an EM pinball fan that sincerely prefer those to the more recent dmd and lcd pins. If that were the case, you would think the top 25 was horseshit.

Don't even have to go that fair. If you're a well rounded pinball fan you knwo there are plenty of SS games that should be up there. Centaur, FG, 8bd not in the top 50...I mean really? Whirl Wind highest rated SS i think at 37.

Quoted from Deez:

It's like you're not even trying lol.

Many of them aren't trying; "Played it didn't like it" is a better review than that. OMG the multipliers are soooo confusing.
Green arrows multiply, 3 bank increases it, button to move them around, more points is better.

There you go dummies, that wasn't so hard was it

#18 5 years ago

I've enjoyed what I've played of Star Wars... But GOT sucks. I hate that game.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Don't even have to go that fair. If you're a well rounded pinball fan you knwo there are plenty of SS games that should be up there. Centaur, FG, 8bd not in the top 50...I mean really? Whirl Wind highest rated SS i think at 37.

Agree with this 100% can we break the games down more...like by decade? Or something like 78-90, 91-2001, 2002-2016

#20 5 years ago

Stern SW grouping is ranked @ 25 if it makes you feel any better...Prem+ brings it up...well like any LE owners games

#21 5 years ago

I have no idea how this list is created. There needs to be a better way. In my mind Star Wars Le is one of the best machines ever crafted.

You are free to make your own list and put any game at the top. The Pinside list is a collection of many user's opinions which will of course differ from many individuals' opinions.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

if it makes you feel any better

I don't feel bad either way. I like the game and was surprised that the community ranking was over 150. It doesn't make me like the game any less or more it was just an observation.

If I could make one recommendation it would be to see the list ranked by people that have owned the game vs people that don't. When I played SW on location I didn't like it. Ball times were to fast for $1 a play. But in a home environment, everything changed.

#23 5 years ago

Don't get fixated on Pinside ranks. Half the people ranking either haven't played a game, played a virtual version, or put less than 5 plays on a location game. If you like the game and have fun, then enjoy it. I love my Hobbit, despite Pinside groupthink saying I should hate it. I love it and if I ever doubt it, I play it again.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from Jgel:

If I could make one recommendation it would be to see the list ranked by people that have owned the game vs people that don't. When I played SW on location I didn't like it. Ball times were to fast for $1 a play. But in a home environment, everything changed.

While that may act as a somewhat useful filter, i tend to think people who own games likely do so *because* they like them. I don't know how much objectivity you'll find in such a case. Some games probably are better suited for a home environment, though. If the rule sets are that confusing or vague, i can see why more casual players (or less experienced ones) could walk away unimpressed.

Then with some games, the rules don't even really seem to matter. My local arcade got a GotG recently, and my experience up to this point has taught me there's only one viable shot in the game: Groot. Can be made from either flipper, awards multiball, highest scoring games were due to good multiball. The other rules don't really even matter to me, bc there seems to be little reward for the more dangerous, challenging shots. Of course, a home owner may be able to make the case for other strategies but the point is moot. I'll never own the game. And for my dollar to play it, I'm always gonna gun for a replay--so I'm much more likely to stick to what works (shoot Groot). Does that really mean my experience or opinion shouldn't count or is worth discarding in favor of someone who trusted their judgement enough to slap down $5k+ for one?

#25 5 years ago

It's simple enough. Both SW and GoT have non-standard layouts without many toys and innovative rulesets that diverge from what most players initially expect. Anyone who goes to an arcade and plays one a few times expecting the rules to work the same way other games do is going to have a bad time, and combined with a very popular theme, are going to be angry and go home to post a bad review on pinside.

Quoted from frunch:

While that may act as a somewhat useful filter, i tend to think people who own games likely do so *because* they like them. I don't know how much objectivity you'll find in such a case. Some games probably are better suited for a home environment, though. If the rule sets are that confusing or vague, i can see why more casual players (or less experienced ones) could walk away unimpressed.

A lot of people who own the games will later sell them if they don't like them, so I don't think it would be as skewed as you expect (though it would be some). Even just a 'did you play this in public in in a home' question could bear very different reviews, but at the same time if someone is looking at the top 100 looking at a game to buy, then reviews from people who played a game once at a show aren't going to be very applicable to them. Being able to filter one way or another (owns/owned vs didn't own) would be interesting to compare to say the least.

Quoted from Jgel:

decided to check where it is on the list... 157? I can't believe that the Pinside members placed this game out of the top 150? Game of Thrones Pro is at 113?

EDIT:

wait, where are you seeing this? SW is ranked 25 and GOT 38?

#26 5 years ago

its because the games play too fast for casual players, no real cool bash toys, and the rules are too 'complex' for the average or novice pinball player...hence, these games suck. they are 2 of sterns best imo.

#27 5 years ago

Pinside rankings don't rate how fun the gameplay is. That's just one of 16 aspects. Game of Thrones Pro has one of the worst translites and playfield art packages of any Stern game. Big toys and gimmicks were removed from the pro, and that's a category you have to rate, even if it makes the game MORE fun in your opinion. Theming? Gears. Lots and lots and LOTS of gears.

If you gave an excellent rating to the translite, playfield art, or toy category just because the game is super fun, you're just gaming the Pinside rating system. Since everyone does this anyway, Pinside rankings are pretty stupid.

When there's only a 1 point difference between #25 and #200, things like art and toys pulling the score down makes a huge difference.

#28 5 years ago

Personally I don't rank any games until I've played them many, many times. And I'm a pinsider that ranks more games than most. I do think it would help ratings if there was a question asking if people have played the real table, or a virtual table. Also, maybe a question asking how many times a game has been played, which could factor into how heavy that vote counts?

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from Jgel:

I don't feel bad either way. I like the game and was surprised that the community ranking was over 150. It doesn't make me like the game any less or more it was just an observation.

It would be more valuable to rank by player ability (say noob/intermediate/pro) that's data I'd like to see.

Because what's there now is garbage. And what's the use of having a list that garbage?

#30 5 years ago

In my opinion don't pay too much attention to the pinside rankings just pay attention to what you personally like and enjoy.

#31 5 years ago

GOT sucks and was a major letdown. Star Wars is alright, but was a major letdown.
Any other questions?

#32 5 years ago

Where .... SW looks like #25 to me.

#33 5 years ago

STOP PEOPLE!! This thread is completely bogus! Fake news!! The ratings for both these games are higher than what the poster states???? The top 100 is very valid in my opinion. Only draw back is that it weights art and sound on the same level as fun. Users like myself will adjust their ratings to ensure that the final number makes sense.

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

STOP PEOPLE!! This thread is completely bogus! Fake news!! The ratings for both these games are higher than what the poster states???? The top 100 is very valid in my opinion. Only draw back is that it weights art and sound on the same level as fun. User like mshelf will adjust their ratings to ensure that the final number makes sense.

This coming from the dark night with a super man 78 avatar?

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Play and own what you like, and use the top 25 as pins you should try as many seem to like them. YMMV

THIS. I have Star Wars amongst a collection of 33 pins most of which rank higher according to pinside. Many in the top 10. And yet Sat Wars is the most played in league and it is the most played by the general public. In our internal ranking list it is #1. The rest don’t matter.

Use that stupid ranking list to buy it at a discount. I plan to do this for Guardians of the Galaxy as well. I know what the people who actually play my machines want and it isn’t what the people voting in pinside seem to care about.

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

EDIT:

Quoted from hoby1:

That is because of the grouping. I am talking about the Pro model for each machine. If you click on the title it will show you the grouping of machines.

#37 5 years ago

STOP PEOPLE!! This thread is completely bogus! Fake news!! The ratings for both these games are higher than what the poster states???? The top 100 is very valid in my opinion.

Not sure where things are getting confusing. Please look at the rankings for Star Wars Pro and Game of Thrones Pro and let me know where they fall when you look at them? I believe I mentioned PRO 3 or 4 times in my initial post. Maybe caps lock would help. THIS IS ABOUT THE RANKINGS ON THE PRO MODEL.

#38 5 years ago

Two of Sterns best, recent releases. Tons of strategy and options to keep the games interesting in a home environment.
I really hope Dwight is coding Steve’s next game because them together is a homerun!

And “Real Playas Play Pro’s” (TM)

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Quoted from zacaj:

STOP PEOPLE!! This thread is completely bogus! Fake news!!

read the thread

Quoted from TheLaw:

Stern SW grouping is ranked @ 25 if it makes you feel any better...Prem+ brings it up...well like any LE owners games

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from Jgel:

Not sure where things are getting confusing. Please look at the rankings for Star Wars Pro and Game of Thrones Pro and let me know where they fall when you look at them? I believe I mentioned PRO 3 or 4 times in my initial post. Maybe caps lock would help. THIS IS ABOUT THE RANKINGS ON THE PRO MODEL.

The only rating on the pro model's page is the group rating. Your ratings don't appear anywhere that I can find.

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from Jgel:

Well it’s interesting TWD pro is (imo) better or same as premium but it’s ranked way lower than the premium as well. Metallica pro is better or same as the premium but it’s ranked the same.

I suspect it’s LE and premium owners of TWD, SW, GOT outnumber the pro and those owners may vote on both models and vote up the game they own. Also the art may be judged better on some LE/premium games.

I know a couple owners of TWD premium who think it’s a lot better than the pro when I think they are around the same.

Metallica pro is one example where the pro outnumber the Le and premium so the two groups of owners cancel out.

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from Jgel:

Maybe you should put "Pro" in the subject line of the thread?

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

The only rating on the pro model's page is the group rating. Your ratings don't appear anywhere that I can find.

IF you look at the top 100, the Pro and LE/Premium are grouped together with the rank based on the higher score which is always the LE/Premium. If you click on the “<show game group” below the main title, you should see the breakout of the Pro and LE/Premium.

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

IF you look at the top 100, the Pro and LE/Premium are grouped together with the rank based on the higher score which is always the LE/Premium. If you click on the “<show game group” below the main title, you should see the breakout of the Pro and LE/Premium.

Yes, but no positions?

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Maybe you should put "Pro" in the subject line of the thread?

Thanks, done. Subject edited to avoid any further confusion from people not reading the first post.

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Yes, but no positions?

Yeah I’m not seeing these numbers either. But if you go purely by the rating of the game that puts GOT pro at around 113/114. Maybe that’s how the OP came to it.

1 week later
#47 5 years ago

Just as a point of comparison, AC/DC Pro would be rated #57. Barely ahead of X-Men Pro.

#48 5 years ago

There is definitely 113 games better than Gotg not saying I don't have fun playing it or star wars but I wouldn't put them in my top 100

#49 5 years ago

SW Pro is better than these games (plus more) that are currently in the top 100. Not that these are bad games and some are 'classic', but c'mon Who Dunnit is NOT better unless you just hate Stern and love Williams.

Who Dunnit
Catacomb
TX-Sector
Time Machine
Frontier
Time Machine
Diner
Banzai Run
Black Rose
Medusa
Johnny Mnemonic
Stargate
Batman (Dark Knight)
Transformers
Andromeda
Terminator 2
Quicksilver
Eight Ball Deluxe
Flash Gordon
Taxi
Family Guy
Indianapolis 500
World Cup Soccer
Judge Dredd
Ripley's Believe It or Not
Pinball Magic
Fish Tales

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

In my opinion don't pay too much attention to the pinside rankings just pay attention to what you personally like and enjoy.

Amen!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 21.50
Machine - For Sale
Carl Junction, MO
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 250.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.95
Playfield - Plastics
RGP Models

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-wars-is-ranked-at-157-got-is-113?hl=guinnesstime and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.