IMG_3458 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3457 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3454 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3430 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3428 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3427 (resized).jpeg
Home Editions (resized).jpg
IMG_0614 (resized).jpeg
There are 422 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 9.
#1 4 years ago

The first meeting of the SWHEFC has been called to order. Also known as the game too expensive for your average person to(probably )buy but not cool enough for the true coin op/ nerd, hobbyists to not piss all over.

#2 4 years ago

I'm starting to believe that these home pin models are Stern's way of slowly desensitizing us to their future planned playfield designs.

#3 4 years ago

I think that it's great that they are introducing pinball to customers outside of us die-hards, it can only a net positive for the hobby. Price seems a bit high to me, however, to really break into the casual market.

Obviously, we were all hoping for something a little more exciting to us real pinball fans

Mike

#4 4 years ago

I dont see anything wrong with Stern going this route. But like many others have already said, its price point is probably too close to the real thing for this to be viable.

#5 4 years ago

I could see these at the $2,000 - $2,500 price point but otherwise I just don't see a market.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

I could see these at the $2,000 - $2,500 price point but otherwise I just don't see a market.

Right, Stern just needs to raise the prices on the real thing (the current Pros) in order to make these look more attractive at the listed price point. Maybe that explains Gary Stern's recent comments about how Stern Pros are too cheap. Maybe they'll fix that by making their Pros more expensive soon.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

Right, Stern just needs to raise the prices on the real thing (the current Pros) in order to make these look more attractive at the listed price point. Maybe that explains Gary Stern's recent comments about how Stern Pros are too cheap. Maybe they'll fix that by making their Pros more expensive soon.

And I believe that they are arrogant enough to do just that.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

Bingo....

#9 4 years ago

thats the new release.........booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

This sounds right.

#11 4 years ago

"Mommy can I have a new Star Wars..."

Mommy glances at price tag: $4000+

"No."

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

The first meeting of the SWHEFC has been called to order. Also known as the game too expensive for your average person to(probably )buy but not cool enough for the true coin op/ nerd, hobbyists to not piss all over.

Honestly, the LE version of this game wasn't exactly "cool" either. Seriously, I get that they are going to get SW-obsessed fans who don't have any idea what a garbage-heap the "full adult" version was to buy this [maybe], but it's odd that Stern would pick such a clunker to market as a home version, IMO.

#13 4 years ago

Where is the SWHE fan club?

3 months later
#14 4 years ago

I was pleasantly surprised with this.
Although a little clunky, it still has a good flow.
To be honest, i enjoyed playing this more than the pro model. Like that Stern decided to put metal ramps opposed to the crappy plastic ones that were on the previously released Home"the pin" models.
For a home pin, definitely an improvement over the crappy Marvel and Transformers one.
Easy access for maintenance under playfield unlike previous home pins, with the exception of Spiderman the pin.
In fact, Star Wars the Pin is very similar to the Spiderman the pin, which I kind of liked too.
SW has better ramps than Spiderman.
Of course these arnt as good quality as full commercial models, for what it is Stern did a decent job. Purist may not approve, but I can see the moderate pinball players enjoying this one, especially kids.
My only worries with this is how well it will hold up in time. The ball kind of knocks around pretty hard on some of the objects on playfield which are cheaper quality, and i wonder if eventually will cause damage do to its clunkyness, but time will tell.
As far as how it looks, it does look visually attractive. Love the artwork......
As far as price though, for 4000 dollars you can get much more for that amount in quality obviously by just buying a 1990s William's or Bally, or even a Data East...
However, Stern targeting new customers and potentially helping bringing in new pinball fans who want to spend less than the price of new full commercial models is not a bad thing. I think the home pins will get better In the future, but I doubt the prices on future home pins by stern will go down.
Even cheaper quality pins arnt cheap, especially when profits must be made which is most understandable..... lol I'm sorry for rambling.

Bottom line is, the Star Wars the pin is the best Home Pin Sterns made yet.
I can see a market for these.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from NatetheGreat:

To be honest, i enjoyed playing this more than the pro model.

Every time I think I've read the most ridiculous comment possible on pinside u guys rise to the occasion.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from NatetheGreat:

I can see a market for these.

Who is buying them? Not one owner has checked in, so can you even have a fan club with no owners discussing the game? TWO are showing up in Pinside collections. TWO. Now I know that Pinside isn't the target market, but come on. If there was a market for these distributors would be saying that it's a hot seller. They are not.

#17 4 years ago

You would think that since it's been several months that the machine has been available, they'd put a manual on their website. Heck, even the new Elvira already has manuals available on Stern's website.

1 week later
#18 4 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Every time I think I've read the most ridiculous comment possible on pinside u guys rise to the occasion.

well, I would agree with what was said prior to your response...
I owned a Starwars Pro and sold it back after just four months.
have played the Starwars Home Edition several times at Expo last month and had good fun... real good fun shooting it.

1 week later
#19 4 years ago

I never thought I would ever say this but..........I played the Star Wars Home edition and I really liked it. Simple and yet surprisingly fun to play. Never judge a machine before you play it.

1 week later
#20 4 years ago

well, I just bought one!
placed an order for the Star Wars home edition (aka the Pin)! will receive it mid-January.
very excited about it.

I already own a Twilight Zone, a Bally Attack from Mars, a FunHouse and a Dialed In. just wanted a cool simple approachable pin for everyone to enjoy: my 7 year old daughter, my friends are who are casual players, family etc.

very very happy about my choice.

#21 4 years ago

From what I observed at the debut of this pin at ComicCon you made a good choice--casual players and kids were drawn to this machine. Hopefully it holds up well.

#22 4 years ago

I have never played star wars home pin,
I was wondering, is the code and video better then the standard version ie pro and prem?

Thanks

#23 4 years ago

The video display is so small it really doesn't matter how good or bad the video is. I don't know about the code, but I can tell you I had way more fun playing this than the SW pro.

#24 4 years ago

The full size has some of the best code in pinball so probably not...

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from ParisPinballAdct:

well, I just bought one!
placed an order for the Star Wars home edition (aka the Pin)! will receive it mid-January.
very excited about it.

Do you mind if I ask how much approximately? I have no idea what they sell for? After playing one, I cant seem to get it out of my mind and I already own a LE.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Do you mind if I ask how much approximately? I have no idea what they sell for? After playing one, I cant seem to get it out of my mind and I already own a LE.

Well bear in mind i live in France and so my local distributor has to have the games shipped from across the pond and pay importation taxes etc. And so i got mine for 5,000€ (5,500$) all taxes included.

1 week later
#28 4 years ago

Got to finally play the SW Home Pin. Initial thought was I wouldn’t like it. After 1.5hrs of playing it I couldn’t stop hitting the start button over & over again - I really really want one. It’s $2,500 AUD cheaper than the Pro, and the shots feel better & the ruleset is easier to get your head around it. My only concern would be will it last a long time in a small collection... nevertheless, I can’t get it out of my mind.

70DB6F08-244F-4947-A6D7-6B71BEE7C1F5 (resized).jpeg70DB6F08-244F-4947-A6D7-6B71BEE7C1F5 (resized).jpegA25D3209-EB6F-4E68-AC57-C9C6501C2B4C (resized).jpegA25D3209-EB6F-4E68-AC57-C9C6501C2B4C (resized).jpegC28545BF-779C-408A-A711-F9F18990A0E5 (resized).jpegC28545BF-779C-408A-A711-F9F18990A0E5 (resized).jpegD75138D7-48B7-410B-9263-52025DF2773F (resized).jpegD75138D7-48B7-410B-9263-52025DF2773F (resized).jpegF4ED5083-29E5-4291-B7BE-BE0A49481288 (resized).jpegF4ED5083-29E5-4291-B7BE-BE0A49481288 (resized).jpeg
#29 4 years ago
Quoted from hassellcastle:

We sell them for $3999.

Thinking if I can find one for close to $3500 shipped to Denver I may be interested?

#30 4 years ago

Msrp is $3499 iirc, street price is $3999 and I just saw a fb add for $37xx for one new in Cali.

I haven’t played it yet, hoping stern brings one to CES so I can try. They did that with Spider-Man home.

I do agree the sweet spot is 2999, but stern must of done some research to charge what they do :/ I’d love to pickup a home version of any of them if the price was right. Leave it in my kids bedroom :-p

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I do agree the sweet spot is 2999

If I can get one for $2999 I would be all over that. One thing that I really liked when I played it was the drops in front of ramp entrance-so much fun!

4 months later
#32 3 years ago

I just bought one for under 3k since I have not found a good deal on a Star Wars Pro and wanted one to go next to the Arcade 1UP Star Wars cabinet. I extended the leg levers an inch so it is the same height as Metallica and it has been good ever since. Plays fine, it is only 40 odd pounds lighter than the Pro so it feels solid. Have over 200 plays on it and it still looks great.

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

If I can get one for $2999 I would be all over that. One thing that I really liked when I played it was the drops in front of ramp entrance-so much fun!

I’ve seen 2 or so used pros for for $3k now. Seems like the time to buy if people are interested!

#34 3 years ago

Maybe, but I think the Home version is more fun to play than the Pro.

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Maybe, but I think the Home version is more fun to play than the Pro.

I agree with this sadly lol. My biggest concern is the materials used on the cabinet and playfield and their longevity even in a home environment.

1 month later
#36 3 years ago

Question???
Does the SW home pin have the fan noise like the newer Sterns?
Is there a quiet fan kit?

Are there inner cabinet mounts for a 'fruit crate' like whoa nellie ?

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from BMHouze:

Question???
Does the SW home pin have the fan noise like the newer Sterns?
Is there a quiet fan kit?
Are there inner cabinet mounts for a 'fruit crate' like whoa nellie ?

It has the same fan as the other Sterns Spike 2 system machines like Jurassic Park.

Pinball Life sells the fan replacement kit: https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-spike-system-plug-n-play-quiet-fan-kit.html

There are no inner cabinet mounts as far as I know.

#38 3 years ago

I’m going to buy one of these I found locally for $2800. For those that own this, has anyone looked into putting a larger screen on it? Is it just an hdmi outlet? A bigger monitor could be bought for under $100 easy.

#39 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I’m going to buy one of these I found locally for $2800. For those that own this, has anyone looked into putting a larger screen on it? Is it just an hdmi outlet? A bigger monitor could be bought for under $100 easy.

If it is the same as spike, it’s like a laptop monitor, so it ya multiple wires. That is a great price for the game!!!!

Take pics so we have them and if you can do a dd copy of the ss card

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

That is what I paid for mine, well worth it!

#41 3 years ago

Does it take the standard apron cards?
I am on the list for Heavy Metal.
I could use some more 'mature' apron cards.

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

That's a good deal. I'd pay that for one.

#43 3 years ago

Added some miniature figures from the Star Wars X-Wing game to the playfield. Three X-Wings flying towards the Death Star and Slave-1 just chilling looking cool.

5AFA0A61-070A-416E-89C4-C9AD1EAE2F95 (resized).jpeg5AFA0A61-070A-416E-89C4-C9AD1EAE2F95 (resized).jpeg73055AC3-85F8-49C8-A543-7D7196058BCA (resized).jpeg73055AC3-85F8-49C8-A543-7D7196058BCA (resized).jpegE6488A06-9549-4C01-A036-D20F4FD51C98 (resized).jpegE6488A06-9549-4C01-A036-D20F4FD51C98 (resized).jpeg
#44 3 years ago

What? No tie advanced or interceptor?

1 week later
#45 3 years ago

Ok. Got it home. When it’s playing it’s really fun. Like a well designed 80s or 90s dmd game. Very fun. It has two problems. Ball lock optos in the middle of the field don’t work. That’s a killer. Game is unplayable as there’s no kicker for the ball search to make it release. Bummer.

Also, the cheap plastic shooter housing is broken off the playfield. I’m going to try some JB weld and see if I can get that back up.

Stern support is seemingly unresponsive due to covid. I find that to be a little disingenuous as they are shipping plenty of games...

#46 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Ok. Got it home. When it’s playing it’s really fun. Like a well designed 80s or 90s dmd game. Very fun. It has two problems. Ball lock optos in the middle of the field don’t work. That’s a killer. Game is unplayable as there’s no kicker for the ball search to make it release. Bummer.
Also, the cheap plastic shooter housing is broken off the playfield. I’m going to try some JB weld and see if I can get that back up.
Stern support is seemingly unresponsive due to covid. I find that to be a little disingenuous as they are shipping plenty of games...

Try tightening up the post to the right of the R2-D2 lock. If it gets loose the optos can get out of align. I've had to re-tighten the post a couple times. I was getting multi-ball without having a ball locked. Should be an easy fix.
Also, you cannot plug the larger Stern LCD in and it work. Or vice versa.

#47 3 years ago

Could you retrofit a conventional Stern ball shooter assembly to this machine?

#48 3 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Could you retrofit a conventional Stern ball shooter assembly to this machine?

I was wondering that too. Didn’t look like it would work as it has to rise up with the playfield.

#49 3 years ago

Also, has anyone tried to add another speaker and make this stereo? Seems like the pins for the left speaker are there...

(Sorry terrible photo).

F9611D61-F863-42E1-93DB-78426297CF4B (resized).jpegF9611D61-F863-42E1-93DB-78426297CF4B (resized).jpeg

#50 3 years ago

It appears the amplifier circuitry is already there. So I'd say yes to adding speakers, including a bass speaker in the bottom of the cabinet.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 250.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 4,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Redlands, CA
€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 150.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pin-Tools.com

$ 54.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 4,999.99
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 4,999.99
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Des Moines, IA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

There are 422 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-wars-home-edition-fan-club/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.