rollerswitch.jpg
SW.jpg
SWa.jpg
IMG_5455 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5454 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5451 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5452 (resized).jpeg
#1 4 years ago

The shield opens when it's supposed to, but closes very quickly after (1 sec). When I run diagnostics, the shield hold doesn't do anything unless I pull the shield up all the way - then the shield will hold a bit. Shield power seems to work fine - the solenoid has enough power to shoot the shield up to full height. I disassembled the shield/solenoid but everything appears ok. Diode and wires are all snugly attached, spring on the solenoid looks good. There's a switch on the mechanism but nothing ever touches it so I'm not sure how that's supposed to work.

Pictures of the mech are attached. Any ideas of how to troubleshoot are greatly appreciated.

IMG_5451 (resized).jpegIMG_5451 (resized).jpegIMG_5452 (resized).jpegIMG_5452 (resized).jpegIMG_5454 (resized).jpegIMG_5454 (resized).jpegIMG_5455 (resized).jpegIMG_5455 (resized).jpeg
#2 4 years ago

It looks like you are missing a switch actuator arm (circled on pics). Really good repair info on Star Ware EP1 here: http://www.enteryourinitials.com/2018/08/01/star-wars-episode-one-repair-service-log-1/

SW.jpgSW.jpgSWa.jpgSWa.jpg
#3 4 years ago

I do not own a SWE1, but the complete switch might look like this:

rollerswitch.jpgrollerswitch.jpg
#4 4 years ago

Awesome, thanks so much to you both!

#5 4 years ago

I had the same problem on mine years ago and the culprit was the diode.
Replaced it. Shield worked perfectly again.
Even though your diode is "snuggly" attached it could be fried. Super cheap to replace.

#6 4 years ago

Bumping this back up for more help.

I have replaced the switch and replaced the diode (twice, just in case I didn't do it right the first time) but the shield still doesn't stay up for more than 2 seconds after initially going up. Shield hold in diagnostics doesn't do anything. Any more ideas? This is the only thing that is still not working correctly on my machine and I would love to get the game to 100%. I've read every thread on pinside and every mention of the shield through google but I can't find any other ideas.

Thanks in advance for any help.

#7 4 years ago

Shoot! I was hoping it was just the diode as those do go sometimes (or their solder weld breaks because of the shield banging). Let me keep thinking/asking around.

#8 4 years ago

Does the switch register in the switch test ?

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from JamesH007:

This was a problem when I purchased my SWE1 as well. Solving it for me required addressing two issues -

(1) the switch (as mentioned above) needs to be working and properly aligned to sense the motion. I remember getting it working but it would quickly slip out of alignment. Get it aligned exactly right and secure it firmly.

(2) the extension bar that ran between the coil and the fence had a slight lip on the end (where the two pieces mated) that was just enough to cause some interference with the motion. I"m talking about the piece in your last photo that is positioned two items to the right of the spring. I tried smoothing out the deformity in that piece but in the end it never worked right until I replaced the part. They were (and probably still are) available as new parts; I'd guess I bought the replacement from Marco.

After addressing these two I've never had another issue with the fence and the game as seen a healthy load of play at multiple pinball shows

-Rob
-visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my Pinball 2000 H+V Video Sync Combiner kit

#10 4 years ago

When you choose shield hold in diagnostics, does the shield go up and stay up? Mine just stays down so I’m thinking this is not a switch problem (but I don’t really know what I’m doing so I could be totally wrong. I’ll have to keep fiddling around with it I guess. Just very frustrating.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from JamesH007:

I don't know how to interpret the switch test screen. I see a number of green squares, some white with O in the middle (these are the ball trough optos I think). I don't understand what any of the options are in the switch diagnostics screen when I press the start button either.
I've tried putting the playfield up and testing the shield hold diagnostic while I manually press the shield switch but it doesn't make any difference - the solenoid weakly tries to raise the bar but it never goes all the way to the top and it never holds. Regular shield power is strong - the shield shoots up to the top with force.

#12 4 years ago

Finally fixed the issue and figured out how the switch test works. For those who are new to the game (like me), the switch test works by manually pressing any of the switches in the game - the diagnostic will beep if the switch is registering correctly. In my game, no switches were reporting errors. However, even though the switch was working correctly, it was not getting fully triggered by the shield. I had re-installed the switch at least a dozen times trying to get it just right, but on the thirteenth try I finally succeeded. The shield hold is now working as intended. Hopefully this helps another new owner to the game. Thanks to everyone for taking a look and providing suggestions.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 85.00
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Hackensack, NJ
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

5,195 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 234.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Cento Creations

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-wars-episode-1-shield-hold-problem?hl=boslaw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.