You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8498 (resized).JPG
IMG_8493 (resized).JPG
IMG_8491 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

I've got a Star Wars Episode 1 that I'm trying to replace the Neon Transformer on. It lives in the handle of the lightsaber, but I'm unsure how to open the lightsaber up to get at the transformer. It appears to be riveted together. Do I need to drill out those rivets? Is there another way?

It seems awfully fragile...

-Greg

#2 7 years ago

yes you have to drill them out have you tried running 12v to it direct to test it? mine wasnt working either an ended up being a transistor on the driver board needing swapped out but its been so long i cant remember what one it was.

#3 7 years ago

Sure enough, took the assembly out and gave it 12 volts and it lit right up. Must be something driving it failing...

#4 7 years ago

I had the same problem on mine. I had to replace an IC chip, U34, on the driver board.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from creech927:

Sure enough, took the assembly out and gave it 12 volts and it lit right up. Must be something driving it failing...

Mine only lit up 1/3 of the way, but checked out OK with 12v. I had to replace the ULN2803A chip at U35 . Soldered in a socket so I can now easily replace the chip if needed. $1 in parts.

IMG_8491 (resized).JPGIMG_8491 (resized).JPG

IMG_8493 (resized).JPGIMG_8493 (resized).JPG

IMG_8498 (resized).JPGIMG_8498 (resized).JPG

2 weeks later
#6 7 years ago

So which fix is needed? Mine works intermittantly and the 12v test works so.... I see one person say a transitor on the driver board needed replacing, another said they had to replace an IC chip, U34, on the driver board, and still another had to replace the ULN2803A. chip at U35. I am new to this machine so not sure which item I need to replace much less how to test them, did each have the same problem? I am confused so if any one has any help it would be appreciated!

2 weeks later
#7 7 years ago
Quoted from gentrsa:

So which fix is needed? Mine works intermittantly and the 12v test works so.... I see one person say a transitor on the driver board needed replacing, another said they had to replace an IC chip, U34, on the driver board, and still another had to replace the ULN2803A. chip at U35. I am new to this machine so not sure which item I need to replace much less how to test them, did each have the same problem? I am confused so if any one has any help it would be appreciated!

I'm not sure how to test the chips, so I went ahead and bought a few sockets and a few of both chips. Shipping was more than the ships! I guess I got lucky and started with U35 and it worked. I was going to do U34 next if it didn't.

Guess that's not much help but that was my plan.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Hackensack, NJ
5,195 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 54.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 234.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Cento Creations

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-wars-episode-1-neon-transformer-replacement and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.