• Latest reply 11 years ago by fox71
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

swep1.JPG
#1 11 years ago

I bought a SWE1 kit did the switch, but forgot to disable the update.

Now I get the U109 sound error with some other errors.

No problem I downloaded the Pin 2000 software and hooked up my computer to the game. At first I used a USB adapter no luck. So I took a non 64 bit computer with a serial port and hooked it up to the game.

I hooked up the cable booted the machine launched the Pin2000 software and cannot connect to the game. I keep getting a com 1 error or game not found.

I have com 1 checked and left the baud rate high. I am wondering if I need to change the serial port connection settings in the software. I have also watched the videos and cannot get the thing to work.

Even tried to connect to the back commport in the computer bypassing the door.

Any help would be appreciated.

#2 11 years ago

are you using a "null" serial cable? there is a difference in the internal wiring. i ended up going to radio shack and getting an adapter for like $15 and a gender changer too.

#3 11 years ago

I had the same issue.
First, make sure its a null cable. Then make sure you are using a super old computer running windows 98 or windows 2000.
Any other opporating system won't work.
I had to have my dad send me his old work laptop. Thankfully he saves those kind of things.
Once you do connect and start downloading it will take about 2 hours to download to your game.

#4 11 years ago

To confirm what nmeun87007 already said, it must be a "null modem" cable. The update must run from the com1 port on your computer to the port just inside the coin door on the left.

I believe that the computer I was using was operating Windows XP but I'm not 100% sure...I know it was more recent than Windows 2000. It might take 2 hours on an old Windows 98 but it only took mine about 10 minutes.

#5 11 years ago

It always took me about 10 mins (from what I remember).
i did a youtube video of it, but didnt record the actual update duration.

#6 11 years ago

i have done it via windows 7 setup your com port baud rate etc. null cable. Run as admin or ROOT must have windows firewall off and any other firewall.

#7 11 years ago

Ahhhh! I was told it had to be an older op system by Wayne at planetary pinball.
Oh well. Those two hours of downloading game me time to clean the playfield.

#8 11 years ago

Yes, +1 to Akuma's post. People are misinformed because they are generally so computer illiterate. You can use any OS. I used windows 7 64 bit running in xp compatibility mode. Set your com port to the actual port number listed in device manager. I remember having to poke around some of the settings but it was really no big deal. If it really requires com1 then make sure your serial device is set to com1 in device manager.

Also, what is meant by "forgot to disable update"? It's not like the software auto updates over the internet or something.

#9 11 years ago

If you dont turn it off before you swap roms it will get all fucked up. You need to re install rfm pf and rfm roms in prisim and turn is off. Otherwise the sound will be all fubar.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

If you dont turn it off before you swap roms it will get all fucked up. You need to re install rfm pf and rfm roms in prisim and turn is off. Otherwise the sound will be all fubar.

You mean if you dont do some sort of clean shutdown? How do you do this? There's only a power switch. Or do you mean they swapped the ROMs while the power was running? (WTF?) I also don't see why you would need to reinstall the RFM playfield. The computer software doesnt really care which is in there. The ROMs should be enough I would think.

#11 11 years ago

You have to tell the system you are swapping the pf so it clears the cache. If you dont clear the cache all you will get for sounds is screeches and pops. You must install the Pf as they system does a HW check on the PF. If you dont believe me you can email chuck hess if you like. If you cant do it i have a pub card here.

Go to utilities, 'Update game code', and select the menu
'Disable Update Game Code' - confirm with start button.

#12 11 years ago

Sounds to me like its best to just go nucore if you're going to be swapping PF regularly.

#13 11 years ago

At least the latest SW releases of RFM and Ep1 produce major problems
when you swap the ROMs for a game change and have the latest game
SW loaded in the Flash ROM of Sound and Game.

When installing Ep1 ROMs on a game that ran before with RFM 1.4 or 1.5 on it,
the game will report "checksum U109" problems. Disable Update SW before swap
and so a serial update of the sound and Program flash directly after swap.

When installing RFM ROMs on a game that ran before with Ep1 1.4 on it, the game
will not come up at all and perform a permanent reboot (reported by Sebastian Sievers,
Germany). You must 'Disable update game code' before swapping the ROMs,
then RFM program will start but sound is not working. Serial update of game and sound
after that must be done and puts game into full funtionality.

These problems were at least reported with above mentioned versions, but maybe the also occur
on versions used before.

The easyest solution that I currently know is to use a PUB card for that game swap or
to own a second PRISM sandwhich card - one for RFM and one for Ep1!

Some features change behaviour after SWAP:
Not all data of P2000 game SW is stored onn the PRISM, but also on the battery backed RAM of the PC motherboard. So when you SWAP RFM with SWE1 or viceversa it might happen, that the SW interpretes data stored from the other game as valid and misinterpretes these data. To be shure everything works well after a SWAP you should do a Factory Reset.

http://www.pinball2000.de/pin2000_rfm_ep1_swap.html

#14 11 years ago

Thanks guys

So do I need to put RFM back in first. I thought since I got the U109 error that the only way to fix it was to do a software update?

Is this true or do I first need to put RFM in the game.

Basically can I leave SWE1 all set up and do the software flash and have it work?

I was able to pry out the RFM roms though I do not have a tool and need to get something to pry out the SWE1 rom board to re swap.

#15 11 years ago

You need to switch back if you try to disable the update with ep1 in it will bork the cache and make it worse.

#16 11 years ago

For what it's worth here's my vids on conversion process:

#17 11 years ago

Doesn't get any better than that. Suggest you make a thread in the tech section Call how to change your p2k Play field and have it Stickied.

#18 11 years ago

Having picked up a SWE1/RFM combo on Friday, tell me if Im wrong. The lesson to take away from this is to always disable the update code before doing a swap if you only have one Prism card? Swap, then re-program.

Boogies, I'd already watched your videos. Thanks for those.

#19 11 years ago

YES

the reason you do this is the core game is on the main prism roms. The newer updates 1.4 1.6 etc are in the CACHE. When you turn of the updated code on the next reboot it clears the cache on the prism card, allowing a new code to be run. If you dont it gets all confucked and throws sound errors at you and has garbled sound.

#20 11 years ago

Please tell me how to change it back

Do I disable the update then change back to RFM?

After I change back to RFM I disable update change to Star Wars Episode 1?

I thought since I messed it up by not disabling the update that I needed the computer to flash it.

Basically if I got it straight I do not need the computer at all. Just need to switch back to RFM.

I'm confused as I was told the software flash would fix my issues

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

After I change back to RFM I disable update change to Star Wars Episode 1?

yup

But your still gonna wanna flash the latest rfm code Unless your roms are the latest. What revision are your roms?

#22 11 years ago

RFM 1.5

SW 1.4

#23 11 years ago

Swap roms back load rfm diasable update. Change pf swap sw roms back in PROFIT!

#24 11 years ago

Okay

I swapped roms with Roms disabled for RFM then loaded menu and enabled roms with RFM and rebooted and then disabled them. It loaded RFM no problem. Made sure I disabled it and then put SWE1 Roms back in and no luck still getting DCS error.

Thinking I may need to set update to enabled and do the full swap back to RFM. Get that working and then try again.

I sent Planetary pinaball an email and they said to hook up a computer first. I am still unable to do this. So I'm still stuck

If someone could help as far as if I need to disable or enable and then load RFM again. I was not thrilled when I swapped roms disabled it and got the same DCS U109 error.

Any help would be appreciated as I'm not sure what else to do. If someone has a SWE1 on a pub card I could try that or buy the card. and use the Prism card with RFM only and PUB card for SWE1

#25 11 years ago

?

Quoted from hank527:same DCS U109 error.

I'm not sure if the error is on the PC side of things, but if it is - Did you go into your PC's BIOS and check to see if COM1 was enabled?

#26 11 years ago

Yes went in and checked PC side. Though not sure if I need to change the parity or odd/even stuff. I left that as is.

Right now the issue is that I changed the Roms to RFM and my problem did not go away. I think I may just turn it back to RFM until I can get it straight. Though I want it on Star Wars and if anyone has had the DCS U109 error and fixed it then I would like to know how they did it

7 months later
#27 11 years ago

Great informative thread here along with www.pinball2000.de for anyone looking to add a SWEP1 kit to their RFM. Just did mine with a Windows XP laptop and a Sabrent USB to Serial converter hooked to a Tripplite null cable. Success.....

swep1.JPGswep1.JPG

#28 11 years ago

Nice collection, Jkdblaze~!

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from PinJer:

Nice collection, Jkdblaze~!

Thanks PinJer. I highly recommend the kit if you own an RFM... which you do!

1 month later
#30 11 years ago

Hello Guys,

I've the following issue: I've replaced the battery on the rom card, but now when I turn on the machine, the system doesn't complete the initial test (the last voice checked is "Starting Update game mode" then the screen becomes black).
Is there someone who can help me?

Thanks in advance!

#31 11 years ago

Be aware that the sockets on the CMOS card are not rated for very many chip swaps. Repeatedly swapping the roms out not only risks physical damage but you could just wear out the socket. You really don't want to be tracking down THAT problem.

The CMOS card is still available and is not super expensive like the PRISM card. I highly recommend anyone with both kits to get themselves a second CMOS card and swap the whole card instead of the ROM ICs themselves.

#32 11 years ago

Sorry ChadTower, Are you talking with me? However, I don't have transformed my Star Wars Episode 1 in a Revenge from Mars .... I've only replaced the battery on Roms Card because the flipper after some minutes gave me troubles resetting himself randomly.

However thanks for your reply!

#33 11 years ago

Hello People,

Is there someone who can help me? Maybe I wrote in a wrong forum?

Thanks!

#34 11 years ago

You're better off starting your own thread with this issue.

#35 11 years ago

Ok Chad... thank you!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 234.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Cento Creations

Machine - For Sale
Hackensack, NJ
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-wars-episode-1-kit-problems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.