You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sw111111 (resized).jpg
DEmotor (resized).jpg
SW Display (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

My Star Wars display sometimes works and sometimes it gets stuck on "Display Version Star Wars 10/28/1992" flashing. If I leave the game on it can sit there flashing Display Version for 30 mins and then it starts working as normal. Other times it starts working right when I turn on the machine. Starts and stops. The rest of the game plays as normal. Any help?

SW Display (resized).jpgSW Display (resized).jpg
#2 1 year ago

Try resetting the ribbon cable and the rom chip on the display board.

#3 1 year ago

I believe there's a little 2 pin connector on the back of the DMD driver board. They work loose on Data East games and can become flaky. That's the power to the DMD driver. If it's not making good contact, it can reset the DMD over and over with no other effect on the game. I'd put a new molex connector on it just to rule it out.

#4 1 year ago

GLSP3022 is right.

For many years on the really big displays in games like Maverick, Batman Forever, Baywatch we have been replacing the 3 pin connector with a Red and a Black wire on it in order to get good power to the display driver board.

In the past year or so I'm seeing quite a few smaller dot matrix displays with intermittent display problems that are caused by this plug not supplying sufficient power.

Replace the 3-pin plug with trifurcon, and I'll usually replace the pins on the board at the same time.

This is fixing a lot of problems in various older DMD Data East and Stern pinballs.

However, for Star Wars I've replaced MANY ribbon cables to the display.

This is looking like the 3-pin power connector to the display, but if that doesn't fix it, get a fresh ribbon cable.

Good luck!

#5 1 year ago

Awesome help! I will try replacing the connector to see.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from PinRetail:

a fresh ribbon cable

Where is the best place to get a matching cable for this game?

#7 1 year ago

Not sure if you have any suggestions here but the death star motor doesn't seem to be working. I don't see how there is a diagnostic test from the game for it? So I assumed it is broken and bought a new one. Any tips on how to swap out? I thought the rod would come off and I have replaced other connectors but not one like this before.

DEmotor (resized).jpgDEmotor (resized).jpg
#8 1 year ago

You don't have the right part. The motor should come with the long shaft.

Marco sells these:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/041-5022-00

Death star motors... they are run off of a relay board under the playfield. These relay boards quite frequently have broken solder connections. Refresh the solder on all the connections on all the Relay boards under the playfield, and your original motor might still be working.

3 months later
#9 1 year ago
Quoted from Shogun00:

Try resetting the ribbon cable

I have been trying to figure out why my display was suck on "Display Version" for a long time. I replaced the ribbon and connectors. I also tried it on another DE Star Wars and it worked fine. The problem I found is slight. It is on the CPU board where the ribbon connects. It is not the ribbon it is the board. The only way to get it to work is put some slight pressure on the board by the display ribbon connection. I put a flipper behind it to add pressure so it works for now. What do you assume the issue is here? Anything specific or common?

sw111111 (resized).jpgsw111111 (resized).jpg
#10 1 year ago
Quoted from SDM0:

It is not the ribbon it is the board. The only way to get it to work is put some slight pressure on the board by the display ribbon connection. I put a flipper behind it to add pressure so it works for now. What do you assume the issue is here? Anything specific or common?
[quoted image]

Sounds like a cold or cracked solder joint on the header pins.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-wars-display and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.