You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20210309_032926415 (resized).jpg
PXL_20210309_024855495 (resized).jpg
Star Wars DE  (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Hi all! I am super new to pinball machines and how to work on them. My DE Star Wars machine was recently purchased and in pretty great shape. We have been playing on it for a few days just fine. Tonight I factory reset the machine and changed it to free to play for home use. We played a few games and then turned off the machine. When turning it back on a few minutes ago it lights up solid (does not blink or flash like usual), the speakers have a slight hum, but no sound coming out, and the DMD shows a row of lines/dashes/dots (see pictures). I have checked the fuses and all look good. Has anyone else experienced something like this with their Data East games? I honestly have no clue where to start with diagnosing what it could be. I check all the connectors in the backbox, everything inside the backbox and cabinet looked and smelled the same. I knew that pinball machines break, but definitely was not expecting to have problems with it within the first few days, welcome to pinball life.

Any advice would be appreciated, I am not really sure where to go from here and feel like a complete noob.

PXL_20210309_024855495 (resized).jpgPXL_20210309_024855495 (resized).jpgStar Wars DE  (resized).jpgStar Wars DE (resized).jpg

#2 3 years ago

Update: Now the machine powers on and still hassolid lights and no sound, but the DMD is dead. It doesn't light up at all and is completely black.

#3 3 years ago

After turning it off and on again the DMD stopped working completely. The sound is still gone and the lights are lit solid on the playfield. I am suspecting that it may be the power supply after rabbit trailing through posts on the forum. There is a little discoloration and possible leakage of the C2 electrolytic capacitor, but not 100%. Also, the blank, +5V, and PIA lights are not lit up on the CPU board.

PXL_20210309_032926415 (resized).jpgPXL_20210309_032926415 (resized).jpg

#4 3 years ago

It’s not booting as you have no leds lit on the CPU. GI lights will turn on with the power switch regardless.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from cabuford:

It’s not booting as you have no leds lit on the CPU. GI lights will turn on with the power switch regardless.

That is what I was assuming, thank you for confirming. I'm now debating replacing the whole power supply board or trying repairing the current one. This game has quickly become the house favorite and I see it getting much more use that the other one we have.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Hellz_Belle:

That is what I was assuming, thank you for confirming. I'm now debating replacing the whole power supply board or trying repairing the current one. This game has quickly become the house favorite and I see it getting much more use that the other one we have.

I replaced both power supplies in my Data East games. I went with Rottendog but they're out of business now. XPin looks like they're on backorder. Not sure who else makes them.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from cabuford:

I replaced both power supplies in my Data East games. I went with Rottendog but they're out of business now. XPin looks like they're on backorder. Not sure who else makes them.

That is a bummer about Rottendog. I've noticed that a lot of places are on back order for a replacement board on other sites also. I'm always a little leery of random Ebay purchases, but that may be the route I have to take. The search continues!

#8 3 years ago

If you don't have +5V at all then I would start by looking at the fuse or fuse clips on Data East boards. I have read that they are notorious for failing. Replacing them if they have failed is a far cheaper solution than buying a new board. The +5V regulation circuit can fail but I think the more common failures on these boards are the GI connectors or the high voltage for the plasma displays.

There are a few people who repair boards locally in the Seattle metropolitan area. Repair is always cheaper than brand new. For boards more prone to failure or that have design flaws, it may be better to replace them.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

If you don't have +5V at all then I would start by looking at the fuse or fuse clips on Data East boards. I have read that they are notorious for failing. Replacing them if they have failed is a far cheaper solution than buying a new board. The +5V regulation circuit can fail but I think the more common failures on these boards are the GI connectors or the high voltage for the plasma displays.
There are a few people who repair boards locally in the Seattle metropolitan area. Repair is always cheaper than brand new. For boards more prone to failure or that have design flaws, it may be better to replace them.

I purchased a DMM and it will be here soon so I can diagnose further. I will definitely take a look at the the fuse clips and fuses with it. I looked up repair people for Pinballs on Google and it was not much help. Is there a way to look up people/companies on Pinside that are local and do repairs?

Thanks!

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from Hellz_Belle:

I looked up repair people for Pinballs on Google and it was not much help. Is there a way to look up people/companies on Pinside that are local and do repairs?

You can try posting in the local buyer/seller thread. It's not exactly buy/sell related but that thread is not always 100% on topic.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pacific-northwest-buyerssellers-thread

I typed "pinball repair in seattle" in a search box and got a few hits.

As mentioned above I do repairs but I don't advertise it. Any of the above will work. There are also others who aren't directly on Pinside but have long standing reputation in the region. They are known by those in the PNW group. Local collectors on Pinside frequent the PNW buyer/seller thread.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

You can try posting in the local buyer/seller thread. It's not exactly buy/sell related but that thread is not always 100% on topic.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pacific-northwest-buyerssellers-thread
I typed "pinball repair in seattle" in a search box and got a few hits.

https://wefixpins.com/
I know at least one person with this group.
https://quickpinball.com/
I know the principal with this group. He sends me the System 11 and WPC boards that he can't or doesn't want to deal with it.
https://seattlepinballservices.com/
I know the principal with this group.
https://pinheadspinball.com/
I don't know anybody with this group.

As mentioned above I do repairs but I don't advertise it. Any of the above will work. There are also others who aren't directly on Pinside but have long standing reputation in the region. They are known by those in the PNW group. Local collectors on Pinside frequent the PNW buyer/seller thread.

Oh wow! Thank you for all this info, this is super helpful!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
€ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-wars-de-powers-on-no-sounds-solid-lights-dmd-readout-of-dots and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.