photo_1_(1).JPG
photo_4_(2).JPG
photo_5_(2).JPG
photo.JPG
photo_2.JPG
photo_1.JPG
photo_1_(2).JPG
#1 10 years ago

Hi Guys. I have a Star Wars Data East pinball machine that I got from an online pinball company. I will not mention their name but I will never order from them again. As my first pinball machine, I paid WAY too much for this 'refurbished' machine. $4495 before shipping.

Anyway, I received the machine and was very disappointed in the condition. From the broken power cord still wrapped in electrical tape from the previous owner to the peeling paint on the back box to the peeling paint and deep wood chips on the main cabinet, very disappointed. The most disappointing part is the gameplay due to playfield issues.

I don't know much about pinball machines but there are vinyl stickers that have been placed on the playfield in certain areas that are REALLY thick. They stick up about 1/64" or more. The problem is that they occasionally stop the ball. How do I fix this? The vinyls are stuck on really well.

#2 10 years ago

Return the PIN!!!

And dime out the company!

I'm sorry but you got ROBBED!

A very nice 100% working DESW is a 2500 dollar pin. Sounds like overlays are holding up the ball, not good. Post some pictures.

#3 10 years ago

Where are you located? Maybe someone lives close and could help. I hope everything works on the pin. The cord being electrical taped is over the top.

#4 10 years ago

That vinyl may be vinyl or Mylar placed there to stop wear OR they are overlays that have playfield art printed on them to cover major playfield wear.

Look very close at them, if they are clear and you want to remove them then a hairdryer or freeze spray and some Goo Gone will work. Do a search on mylar removing in the forum and you'll learn a lot about it.

If they are not clear cover ups to stop wear, then you may have an overlay and those you do not want to remove. When they are done correctly they should be very thin and clearcoated.

#5 10 years ago

I'll post some pictures when I get home. I don't want to rat out the pinball company that sold it to me. Maybe I just expected too much for $4495. Cracked pop bumper caps, etc. Just seems a bit crappy. Barely shopped. Just very disappointing.

#6 10 years ago

Since I bought that machine, I've picked up a few others and have learned what machines should be for the price. Total bummer.

#7 10 years ago

Yeah, dude, you got robbed. DE SW is nowhere near a $4495 game in general. To have the issues you are mentioning is bad business. I'd demand a refund and return including shipping expenses. That is not at all as advertised from what it sounds. If they don't want to do it, I'd threaten a claim with the BBB. That is unacceptable behavior from any business owner.

I understand retailers like to markup games, but if you advertise it as "restored" or "refurbished", it shouldn't have these issues.

#8 10 years ago

I would ask for a rebate of 2k. That is just incredible that they would do that. Frekin cracked pop caps...wow I am truly sorry.

#9 10 years ago

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-data-east-star-wars-2

Case in point, you paid LOTR HOU prices for a $2K pin if it were in VG shape, $1200-1400 in what you describe.

#10 10 years ago

Regarding the stickers, Patofnaud's advice is the advice I'd give.

What you really need to do is see if you can return the game or get money back from the seller. Even if you have to pay return shipping, you'll be ahead in the long run. If you paid with a credit card, you may still have some recourse.

#11 10 years ago

Yeah. I feel pretty dim for having bought it. I'm in California, Los Angeles area. As it stands, the game is much better in my memory as a kid.

#12 10 years ago

If the stickers are on top of the 'STAR WARS' text that is near the flippers, I believe that is stock. Just a strange thing with Data East that I've seen occasionally.

#13 10 years ago

Did it at least include the new ROM from last December?

www.pinballcode.com

#14 10 years ago

I am in perfect sympathy. SW was the first pin we bought. We got it from a dealer and, in ignorance, paid far above market price. The dealer himself is a likeable guy who is a very capable technician as well as seller, and I understand that he has to make a profit to stay in business (plus he offered a warranty, which mattered to us at the time). Still, it is painful to realize how much we could have saved had be bought the pin from another collector. As one of my friends tells me on such occasions, "Education is expensive."

Fortunately, I do like the pin, especially with the new ROM. But prices would have to rise for years before I could ever get back out of it close to what I have in it. (I also had to replace some of the plastics, added Cliffys, and I put some other money into LEDs, etc. Live and learn.) I just have to consider it a sunk cost and move on.

I am not unsympathetic toward dealers, although yours seems an exception. I am genuinely grateful they (reliable ones, that is) exist. A lot of people might never get into the hobby without them, and the repair service they offer is essential to many new buyers. I just wish the margins weren't so darned high. Perhaps they have to be for dealers to cover overhead and to make a living. I am sure they would say that is the case. But it can be rough finding yourself on the other side of that transaction.

#15 10 years ago

Yeah. I just called the gentleman who sold me the machine. We've discussed profits and such and I completely understand. As I told him, disregarding the cosmetic flaws like cracked caps, electrical tape, etc. is one thing that I can correct myself and even overlook but the ball being stopped by playfield repair is unacceptable.

He did offer to by it back for $3000 if I pay shipping back to him. I might do it because I will never be able to recoup that much off of this machine. It was paid for by credit card. I've talked to the credit card company and it looks like I do have recourse.

#16 10 years ago

F him use the leverage of the credit card!!!!! Offering you 3k after you spent 1500 more then that plus whatever you were raped for shipping???

This guy is a D-BAG!

#17 10 years ago

Consider that your game is probably worth about $2500 if you tried to sell it. Plus you would not pay for the shipping if you ever sold it.

But can you post a few pics so we can see what condition it is in?

#18 10 years ago

I told him that I would send him pictures tomorrow. I'll post them up here also. It's a major bummer. He said that he probably bought the machine for $3k to begin with. I find that hard to believe because this machine is nowhere near that value on the private market. I've only seen this machine sell for that on Ebay. I figure I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and see if he can make this right before I try to crucify anyone. He's a business man. Hopefully he understands the benefit to repairing situations like this.

In the end, I would even be happy with him refunding minus shipping costs. Offering $3k for the machine to come back to him is a little bit of an "FU". Again, I will try to give him a chance.

#19 10 years ago

PLEASE if he doesn't make things right, let others know his name, location and business. I am terribly sorry you got taken, but I believe it is cool to try and help others avoid paying astronomical prices for pins!! I am selling my SWDE to help fund RAZA or another machine and mine is a solid 9 - 9.5/10 and I am letting it go for less than half of what you paid...

As others have said, post some pics...perhaps there are people near by that can lend a hand in person, or offer their "expertise" through this forum.

Good luck, and may the force be with you!

#20 10 years ago

Thanks very much. I'm going to send him pictures tomorrow. I'm going to ask for a refund minus shipping both directions. Just asking for the sale amount $4495.00.

It sucks for me to be out that money but I'd rather have that money to pick up a cleaner machine.

#21 10 years ago

I took a bunch of pictures. I'm not sure if you can tell from them but here goes. These are the pop bumper caps. All four broken when I received this unit.

photo_1_(2).JPGphoto_1_(2).JPG photo_1.JPGphoto_1.JPG photo_2.JPGphoto_2.JPG

#22 10 years ago

These pictures show the main problem which is the raised areas in the playfield that cause the ball to hang up.

photo.JPGphoto.JPG photo_5_(2).JPGphoto_5_(2).JPG photo_4_(2).JPGphoto_4_(2).JPG

#23 10 years ago

These are the same areas without the ball on the ledges. It's hard to see but these are very thick.

photo_1_(1).JPGphoto_1_(1).JPG photo_2_(1).JPGphoto_2_(1).JPG

#24 10 years ago

The peeling paint on the cabinet and the cable

photo_3_(1).JPGphoto_3_(1).JPG photo_2_(2).JPGphoto_2_(2).JPG photo_4_(1).JPGphoto_4_(1).JPG

#25 10 years ago

WOW! That seller is shady!!! That has to be the thickest mylar out there! It is probably blaster proof!
The cabinet is a mess!! There are many nicer examples that go for half the price.
Not trying to rain on you, but get all of your money back INCLUDING shipping!! Did you buy it sight unseen? Did the seller send you photo's before hand?
Good luck to you my friend, go get 'em!

#26 10 years ago

Just doesn't seem like a fair deal.

photo_5_(1).JPGphoto_5_(1).JPG

#27 10 years ago

I spoke with him today. I'm sending the unit back to him. I agreed not to take a refund but credit on a different machine. He will be sending me detailed pictures of a different machine. I'm going to probably go with a different game all together. He's cooperating so I'm going to give this a go.

#28 10 years ago

Sorry to hear about your troubles.. I personally wouldn't give the seller another chance. I'd fight for a full refund and shop elsewhere. *shrug* Hope it all works out for you.

Could this be the seller?
http://www.thepinballcompany.com/star-wars-pinball-machine.aspx

#29 10 years ago

I feel your pain, my first pin was an over priced DE SW and I was also ripped off with it. The seller claimed it had undergone alot of work with over $900 spent on doing it up. The truth was quite different. broken plastics though out, missing light globes, missing globe holders, missing playfield rubbers, flippers held together with nails (yep thats right, nails), nails jambed into connectors, R2D2 motor not working, Deathstar target motor not working, burnt our DMD, broken and cut wires all over the place and numerous other issues. So your not alone. Live and learn, it'll never happen to me again and I bet it will never happen to you again either.
Good luck with it all and I hope it all works out well for you.

#30 10 years ago

What in the hell are you doing to help the friggin' community by not giving the name of the seller?

It's pussified attitudes like this that will just lead to more people getting screwed. What are you afraid of?

You were screwed. Why are you protecting him? So he'll be able to screw others?

Honest to fking god, out the slime balls in this hobby!

#31 10 years ago

That isn't a decal or mylar on top of those inserts. The inserts are raised and are causing the ball to hang. This can be fixed with heat and pressure, then lock the insert in place from underneath with water thin superglue. I use a hairdryer to heat them and soften the glue, then a block of wood and mallet to pound them back flat. I mention this so you know that this is a fixable problem and not unrecoverable damage. I had visions of the inserts being chipped and a thick cheap decal slobbered over the top.

Anyway, the insert issue is pretty minor compared to what I can see of the side of the backbox. Even in good condition you overpaid for the game so sending it back is for the best.

#32 10 years ago

That power cord is just a fire hazard. Who knows what lurks under that electrical tape. That would be the first thing I replace.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from cheezywhiz:

Sorry to hear about your troubles.. I personally wouldn't give the seller another chance. I'd fight for a full refund and shop elsewhere. *shrug* Hope it all works out for you.
Could this be the seller?
http://www.thepinballcompany.com/star-wars-pinball-machine.aspx

"Stock Photo Shown" LOL

#34 10 years ago

DO NOT TAKE ANOTHER PIN from this nut! The issues will just be better hiden! Get a refund end of story. They are raised inserts and raised pretty bad. That cabinet is a piece of crap. If I was to make an offer for that pin it would be no more then 1k with all of its issues and condition blemishes. Do yourself a favor and just get your money back!

When you get pictures of a second pin post them here so guys can help you with value and condition but I say don't do it just get $ back!!!

AND out this guy so no-one else gets screwed like you did.

#35 10 years ago

Yikes man, that sucks!

#36 10 years ago

My feeling is that if he makes good then no reason to snap on him so quickly. If it goes worse then obviously, I'd say he would deserve a beating. I'm not standing around with a pitchfork waiting. Just want my stuff. If I need to, ill go did the pitchfork out of the attic and round up the lynch mob.

Ill see what he responds with.

#37 10 years ago

Your nicer then me. What he did wasn't a mistake! He was trying to rip you off. 4400+ for that pin was about 4x more then the pin is worth and it had many many issues. Complete rip-off aimed at you hoping you had no idea what was wrong with it.

#38 10 years ago

Before you decide on the next game he tries "selling" you, pass the photos through here and we will all be able to give you some advice on issues and pricing! Good luck!!

#39 10 years ago

Attack from Mars - List Price $8995. I'm going to try to negotiate with him a little.

afm1.jpgafm1.jpg afm2.jpgafm2.jpg afm3.jpgafm3.jpg

#40 10 years ago

Definitely faded....ask for closer pics (shooter lane, SOL hole) etc...

#41 10 years ago

Also around the flippers, playfield plastics, close ups of boards and underside of playfield.

#42 10 years ago

9G for THAT game....he must be high on drugs.

#43 10 years ago

I understand why it's $9K since he's a retail seller. If you were to buy this machine on Craigslist or some other method of that nature, it might be a $5K to $7K machine max. He is responsible for it working when it reaches the customer and offers a warranty with the machine when you buy it. I'm not sure how the warranty works exactly but let's just assume it does for now. Overhead for a facility to operate and showroom machines, etc. Workers, advertising, etc. It all adds up. Seems like typical profit margin stuff to me.

The key is that "refurbished" and "restored" are two entirely different animals when it comes to these machines. I learned this the hard way. Restored costs $10K+. Refurbished means after being purchased from Craigslist, dead skin dust from the past 20 years gets vacuumed out and bulbs replaced. WD-40 sprayed in the appropriate areas and then the unit may undergo the worlds poorest color match and chip repair job. Then it gets wrapped very well and shipped out.

My only major issue is that the Star Wars machine I received looks like hell. Will the raised areas in the playfield, it's not ready to play unless I spend some time correcting it and the power cord being electrical taped to repair is not safe. To send a machine out for $5K in that condition requires some serious balls. "Extra Ball you have..." as Yoda might say in the game.

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from SpaceGhost:

I understand why it's $9K since he's a retail seller. If you were to buy this machine on Craigslist or some other method of that nature, it might be a $5K to $7K machine max. He is responsible for it working when it reaches the customer and offers a warranty with the machine when you buy it. I'm not sure how the warranty works exactly but let's just assume it does for now. Overhead for a facility to operate and showroom machines, etc. Workers, advertising, etc. It all adds up. Seems like typical profit margin stuff to me.

I understand profit margin....but I also understand insanity! I have seen some beautiful AFM's sell on this site for similar pricing.
I think you nailed it on the head...with this seller, you have no idea what to expect when you get this machine...maybe this one won't even have a power cord!
I would never attempt to tell you how to spend your money, but in my opinion, and in this world, trust is everything. To me, that seller has no need to be trusted ever again. You got hosed on a SWDE, now you are going to spend twice the money...(plus all shipping costs on the SWDE) with this seller in hopes that this machine is in better condition? How does that saying go? Fool me once, shame on you...fool me twice.......just saying.

#45 10 years ago

If I was you I'd insist on my money back and keep a look out here on pinside for a nice example. Hobbiests tend to maintain and improve their machines condition because they love there machines and they're not thinking about the $'s. Guys like the one your currently dealing with only see $ signs. Get your money back and run.

#46 10 years ago

Why you would spend 9K on that POS when you could get a beautiful SM for 6K or so. Just my 2 cents.

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from SpaceGhost:

My feeling is that if he makes good then no reason to snap on him so quickly. If it goes worse then obviously, I'd say he would deserve a beating. I'm not standing around with a pitchfork waiting. Just want my stuff. If I need to, ill go did the pitchfork out of the attic and round up the lynch mob.

Ill see what he responds with.

Your not doing yourself or anyone else a favor by not naming where you got the Pin from.
You got shafted already. Now the guy wants to sell you an AFM for 9K?
Double the money you paid for the DESW!
So are you really going to send the guy another $4K plus?

Do yourself a favor. Tell us what Pin you are looking for and your location.
Then Folks here will help you find and purchase that Pin for a fair price.

And again do us and yourself a favor by letting us know who sold you the DESW .

I have to agree with most here. Send back the DESW , get ALL your money back and run away from this seller as fast as you can and use the resources here to find a good pin at a fair price!

#48 10 years ago

I felt sorry for you but now, I'm not as much. Why continue with someone who tried to RIP YOU OFF??? Get your money back then out this guy....He is praying on the people who know nothing about pins. I guess if money means nothing then continue to play with this guy but I guarantee the AFM is just as much a piece of crap as the SW.

2 weeks later
#49 10 years ago

I have to agree. Don't send him more money. He is trying to rip you off - twice! Wish he was in Ga - I'd litigate all over his a**!!

#50 10 years ago

Seriously - try Craigslist, or Mr Pinball, or Pinside market. Or local classifieds.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 11.00
Playfield - Decals
RGP Models

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-wars-de-help-needed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.