Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by ForceFlow
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

What are most people's thoughts on this game as a long term part of a collection?

#2 7 years ago

I'd love to have one but the price isn't worth it in my opinion. It's nice to look at but it's a little shallow. It's better than Star Wars Trilogy. Besides I keep hearing rumors of a new Star Wars pin coming.

#3 7 years ago

A bit overpriced right now for what it is. You're mainly paying for the theme over gameplay.

The unofficial code update probably helps a little bit, though.

http://www.pinballcode.com/sw106

#4 7 years ago

I would not do it. If you are a SW fan then wait for the new SW to come out. In the meantime for $3000ish pick up a RBION, FT, HS2, WW, BSD, TS, RFM, JD, RS, WCS, TFTC, DW...........instead.

#5 7 years ago

Just sold mine, if it wasn't for the theme, its a turd! even with the new code, its still a turd! Lot better games for the going price

#6 7 years ago

I am a HUGE Star Wars fan and I have owned all 3 versions.
I find the Data East version to be the best of them.
I couple of years ago, someone brought a DE to the pinfest in Allenstown that was all decked out (tactfully) in LEDs. That machine looked like it just came off the assembly line. Man it was gorgeous!
Now, having said that, I agree what others have said here.
Put the money in your piggy bank and wait for the new SW pin.

#7 7 years ago

I will stick up for it, but I may be bias as I own one

I personally love the game. Is it the best? No. But for me it is a keeper. Between the latest code release and pinsound, this game gets ALOT better!

Not sure what these things are fetching these days, but I would agree that 3500 is pretty steep and other games are better in that range. I swear I just saw one for 2400 here on pinside the other day though

Anyhow, all personal taste. Guests and kids LOVE coming and playing it!

#8 7 years ago

I owned one and sold it to pick up a LOTR and never looked back. The game feels unfinished even after the software update and it gets repetitive after just a few months. It is fun for a while as you explore the game, but it didn't last for me.

#9 7 years ago

Owned one for a bit before modding and selling. Love hearing the roar of a tie fighter when shooting the ramp. But that's about all I liked. Game play isn't very fun.

#10 7 years ago

Great game !! Been here in the collection for the last 18+ years and would never sell it. I've owned all three (of the main ones) and this is still the best. Don't listen to the DE hatters, get what you like.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, MI.
269-979-3836

#11 7 years ago

Fun game. Nice animations. Good game for newbies/guests as well as serious players.

One of my favorite multiball sequences... you gotta love the pressure of shooting the Death Star and the sounds and animations around it. The multiball contains one of my favorite voice calls of all time in pinball "Evacuate?! In our moment of triumph? I think you over estimate their chances." Then making the Double Jackpot shot and hearing Han say "Great shot kid! That was one in a million!". Any Star Wars fan would have to love this whole sequence.

Updated code has nicely balanced scoring. Plenty to shoot at. Definitely not a "deep" game but it doesn't pretend to be.

LEDs look great in this game, especially if you have the OCD mod.

Add a subwoofer for some great rumble when the Star Destroyer flys by in the intro, when the Tie Fighters fly past when making ramp shot., or the explosion of blowing up the Death Star during multiball.

#12 7 years ago

So here is the dilema.

I'm looking at picking up 3-4 machines. In getting hung up on Star Wars and another machine or just a new mmr.

I will probably hang onto these for a while.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Fun game. Nice animations. Good game for newbies/guests as well as serious players.
One of my favorite multiball sequences... you gotta love the pressure of shooting the Death Star and the sounds and animations around it. The multiball contains one of my favorite voice calls of all time in pinball "Evacuate?! In our moment of triumph? I think you over estimate their chances." Then making the Double Jackpot shot and hearing Han say "Great shot kid! That was one in a million!". Any Star Wars fan would have to love this whole sequence.
Updated code has nicely balanced scoring. Plenty to shoot at. Definitely not a "deep" game but it doesn't pretend to be.
LEDs look great in this game, especially if you have the OCD mod.
Add a subwoofer for some great rumble when the Star Destroyer flys by in the intro, when the Tie Fighters fly past when making ramp shot., or the explosion of blowing up the Death Star during multiball.

What is the ocd mod?

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

What is the ocd mod?

LED OCD board.

It's a board that reduces the flashing or flickering LEDs have in games.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

I've owned all three (of the main ones) and this is still the best.

What's the third one? For some reason I can't think of it.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

What's the third one? For some reason I can't think of it.

DE Star Wars
Sega Star Wars Trilogy
Williams Star Wars Episode 1

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

#18 7 years ago

And your choice of a ColorDMD LCD or LED display will be available at some point to be full color.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

DE Star Wars
Sega Star Wars Trilogy

There's also Hankin's The Empire Strikes Back, but that's incredibly rare, and from what I've read from the few people who have owned one, it's not a very interesting player. It's a blend between Firepower and Space Invaders.

There's also Sonic's Star Wars, but I don't really know much about that one.

#20 7 years ago

I don't care what the DE haters think. I bought one three years ago and did a complete restore. I happened to come across a NOS playfield that was sitting on someone's wall for 20 years and finally decided it was time to go. This pin for me is in my top ten that I own. It sits along side another great DE game TFTC. I have a ton of Borg single ramp games in my collection and love them all.
R2D2 what are you doing

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

There's also Sonic's Star Wars, but I don't really know much about that one.

I would love to put some gameplay on that one.

#22 7 years ago

Ok so impression I'm getting is obviously great theme and a love it or hate it game.

So if given choice would you buy Star Wars and say tommy/gnr/Acdc pro or just buy one machine MMR?

Would quantity in this case be better than quality?

Having a hard time determining which way to go!

#23 7 years ago

Honestly, I would put time time on each one on your hit list... then make your decision.

#24 7 years ago

For me quantity is good and those games that you listed are no slouches either. I love Medieval Madness but there are other games that are just as good for a much lower price. But if it's a grail pin for you go ahead and get MMR. It looks like you've been on the scene awhile so you probably know what's good and what isn't.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

For me quantity is good and those games that you listed are no slouches either. I love Medieval Madness but there are other games that are just as good for a much lower price. But if it's a grail pin for you go ahead and get MMR. It looks like you've been on the scene awhile so you probably know what's good and what isn't.

My list is kind of all grail machines to some extent for me whether it's the game or theme.

Problem is I have room for 6-7 machines until I can reclaim another 14x12 space in my mancave that is used as a playroom for the 7 and 4 year old kids.

So I currently have potc and trsle which are keepers. I plan on adding a Williams IJ, Bally Rolling Stones and the next few get fuzzy! Star Wars, mmr, acdc, gnr, tommy, I just don't know how to round it out for now!

Thanks for all the advice

#26 7 years ago

Star Wars Data East is my favorite game. It is my go to game when I walk up to the pinball line up and one of my others it Addams Family. It is the best of the SW pins...by far. I hear some complaints about how it it too expensive. I do not agree. It is from the biggest license in movie history and ends up being thousands less than Attack from Mars. To each his own, but I am actually surprised it is not more expensive because it has so much of a crossover collectible appeal (to pin collectors and Star Wars merchandise collectors)

It does not have a fantastic rule set, but it does have a good entertaining one. And nothing (to me) beats the thrill of blowing up the Deathstar...and even better than that but the double jackpot where after you hit it the theme plays. Really a great game, its price is not dropping anytime soon.

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

My list is kind of all grail machines to some extent for me whether it's the game or theme.
Problem is I have room for 6-7 machines until I can reclaim another 14x12 space in my mancave that is used as a playroom for the 7 and 4 year old kids.
So I currently have potc and trsle which are keepers. I plan on adding a Williams IJ, Bally Rolling Stones and the next few get fuzzy! Star Wars, mmr, acdc, gnr, tommy, I just don't know how to round it out for now!
Thanks for all the advice

A little advice: Don't get stuck on having certain games. Be willing to change up the lineup or have a few spots for games that you normally wouldn't try out. You might be surprised by some games and it will broaden your exposure to more games.

#28 7 years ago

Better with the new code.

#29 7 years ago

I see lots of variations with the machine. What are the original pop bumpers red or white and shooter button red or white?

#30 7 years ago

I too like it. The new code and having a pinsound board made a big difference. I enjoy playing it. I wish the video mode worked but i'm sure someday someone will figure it out. Its challenging enough to keep me coming back.

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I see lots of variations with the machine. What are the original pop bumpers red or white and shooter button red or white?

The pop bumpers were red: http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/545-5199-02

And red start button: http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/500-5407-02

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods
Tools
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Staten Island, NY
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-wars-de-2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.