New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 217574)

Star Wars Data East random outholes.

By Escapism

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Vader77
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Servicing a Star Wars I get random outhole switch activations. The flippers die and ball drains like on a tilt. No indication of slam tilt or anything. This is driving me up the wall because I cant seem to recreate the conditions. Its just random as far as I can tell. Has anyone had a similar issue? Also, why are some switches wired as normally closed while the manual indicates all switches normally open. Does it matter? Can the software cope with either?

Please help.

#2 2 years ago

I had a terrible time with that. For me, it wasn't the outhole switches it was the ones under the apron.

#3 2 years ago

Thanks Vader. Your comment has prompted me to mess around with the trough switches and I've found that when pressing all of them down the machine sees it as evidence for an outhole. Checking those now. Could be just what I've missed.

#4 2 years ago

Seems to be a bad/broken diode on a switch somewhere causing a phantom switch closure. The sole purpose of the switch diodes is to isolate the switches from each other. Or a flakey switch

#5 2 years ago

Upon closer inspection it turned out that the second ball in the trough sometimes straddled the last two switches. Polished the switch wires, ball guide and bent the switch leaf closest to the outhole a little to make it less sensitive. Problem solved.

#6 2 years ago

Great! Those drove me nuts! I thought it was the wire gate under the apron for months...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.90
Playfields
The Super Fasteners
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
University Place, WA
Wanted
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Boards
PinSound
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside