You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

post.jpg
post2.jpg
Post3.jpg
#1 10 years ago

This is my first Data East Game, I'm not sure what's normal and what isn't.

When the flashers click on and off (or maybe the GI in general) it makes a pretty loud clicking noise. Is that normal?

When the Death Star turns, the motor for it is pretty loud. Is that normal?

If those aren't normal, what do I need to adjust?

Thanks,
Sharon

#2 10 years ago

Clicking with the GI flashing is normal.

I've owned a couple DE SW and the Death Star wasn't very loud on either one. Probably not much you can do unless you want to take apart the gearbox and clean out the grease that is probably solidified. Could also be a bearing that is going out. You can buy a new motor if it goes out.

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

Clicking with the GI flashing is normal.
I've owned a couple DE SW and the Death Star wasn't very loud on either one. Probably not much you can do unless you want to take apart the gearbox and clean out the grease that is probably solidified. Could also be a bearing that is going out. You can buy a new motor if it goes out.

Thanks

#4 10 years ago

No clicking in my DE SW GI's when flashing. I did have a very noisy Death Star motor when I first brought mine. I ended up replacing the motor and it's heaps better now.

#5 10 years ago

Relay clicking is normal. Depending on the relay and age it noise may very.
As for the death star, the motor should make minimal noise. I can hear it barely with the glass off (glass on, its quiet).

After 20+ years, it might need some lubrication. There not too bad to dig into if your brave. If not, you can locate another motor (or even have it rebuilt) on the web.

#6 10 years ago

Loud motor could also be the R2-D2 motor.

#7 10 years ago

It's definitely the Death Star motor, R2D2 sounds different. I suppose I'll tear into it eventually; it can't be worse than the Doctor Who mini playfield.

A new thing popped up though, the spindle that the Death Star spins on doesn't spin anymore. I can hear the motor going, and the target goes up and down fine, but it seems like the spindle has come loose or something. How do I fix that?

#8 10 years ago

If you get a new Death Star motor, it comes with the spindle. It's an easy replacement from under the playfield.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from Sharon:

This is my first Data East Game, I'm not sure what's normal and what isn't.
When the flashers click on and off (or maybe the GI in general) it makes a pretty loud clicking noise. Is that normal?

As others have stated, completely normal, and is part of the 'charm' of owning a Data East.

Much about DE games at the PinWiki. http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Data_East/Sega

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

If you get a new Death Star motor, I comes with the spindle. It's an easy replacement from under the playfield.

Oh, good; thanks. I was dreading having to rethread the spindle. Glad I don't have to! How tight should the nut on top of the dome be?

Quoted from williams:

As others have stated, completely normal, and is part of the 'charm' of owning a Data East.

I'm glad that DE (so far, anyway) isn't as "charming" as Gottlieb to own

#11 10 years ago

AND....

Another question!

Having never seen one of these this close to compare, I can't figure out how this should be. The plastic that goes around behind the Death Star surely attaches to something on the left front corner, doesn't it? Mine doesn't, but I can't tell if something is missing, or just put together weird or what. post.jpgpost.jpgpost2.jpgpost2.jpgPost3.jpgPost3.jpg

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from Sharon:

AND....
Another question!
Having never seen one of these this close to compare, I can't figure out how this should be. The plastic that goes around behind the Death Star surely attaches to something on the left front corner, doesn't it? Mine doesn't, but I can't tell if something is missing, or just put together weird or what

I think that's how it's supposed to be. Mine's the same

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from Sharon:

The plastic that goes around behind the Death Star surely attaches to something on the left front corner, doesn't it?

It is correct in your photo. That setup is just to keep a ball from getting lodged between the Death Star and the ramp. It is a weird looking setup for sure.

#14 10 years ago

Wow, I would have never guessed that it was supposed to not attach to anything but still have a post. Very odd. Thanks for the confirmations!

#15 10 years ago

New Death Star motor installed today, and it's QUIET! I can't hear it at all with the glass on. Thanks so much everyone!

#16 10 years ago

Great to hear the problems fixed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-wars-data-east-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.