416774091.jpg
416773997.jpg
100_0157.jpg
100_0163.jpg
100_0169.jpg
CT20HEADER20Web20White5.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Hello fellow pinsiders!

I just joined pinsiders and hope to talk and share info with all of you. I have Cueball Wizard and I also have a 1992 Star Wars DE. I would like to upgrade to LEDs. My question is: Is it true that for #89 and #906 LED flashers that the ground wire must be removed for each flasher in order for them to work properly? Does that apply to my machine? Thanks in advance!

#2 8 years ago

I know Cointaker sell complete LED kits, and DESW is one of them.
I am sure they would know.

http://shop.cointaker.com/category.sc?categoryId=55
CT%20HEADER%20Web%20White(5).jpgCT%20HEADER%20Web%20White(5).jpg

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

1992 Star Wars DE. I would like to upgrade to LEDs

I have never had to remove a ground wire on any of my 89/906 LED conversions from 1991-current Midway ,Stern or DataEast . I have ordered from many places. So not that I am aware of. I LED my DataEast STAR WARS the LED flasher all worked fine.

Quoted from Jasontaps:

I know Cointaker sell complete LED kits, and DESW is one of them

Melissa is great . I talked to her today in fact. But I would not buy a LED kit for STAR WARS . I did and it was incomplete . Some good ideas but not as good as I could do . It is the one and only LED kit I ever bought. I sent it back. You will have better luck using you own creative mind . PM me if you need some suggestions . Peace .

100_0169.jpg100_0169.jpg
100_0163.jpg100_0163.jpg
100_0157.jpg100_0157.jpg

#4 8 years ago

Thanks for the respose guys! The reason why i asked the question about removing the ground wires is because the LED kit for Star Wars on marcospecialties has a little side note on the description that tells you to remove the ground wire for each 89 and 906 flasher. I spoke to Chris from CT yesterday and he said that it does not apply to my machine. I just wanted to confirm with you guys who actually own the same machine. Its nice to know that I don't have to worry about that. So you guys dont think the LED kit from CT is worth it? I would like to sort of assemble my own kit, but how would i be able to tell how many 555 and how many 44 i need? I looked at the Machine's manual and is all wrong. In some lamps, the manual tells you its its an 89 (c3-po)and in fact its a 555. Is there a list out there of the correct lamps? Or will i have to lift up the playfield and visually check each lamp? Your help is very much appreciated.

#5 8 years ago

Wow your machine looks awesome! Very nice!

#6 8 years ago

I know there is another thread going here right now about led's vs blubs. I am a led guy. I love the color and brightness of them.

#7 8 years ago

I bought and installed the coin taker kit from Coin Taker. I loved it. I then played it a while before making a few personal preference changes. It is a great way to start and get you very close to where you want it to be. For a very few dollars you can make some of your own changes. The LEDs look very impressive on this machine.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Hello fellow pinsiders!
I just joined pinsiders and hope to talk and share info with all of you. I have Cueball Wizard and I also have a 1992 Star Wars DE. I would like to upgrade to LEDs. My question is: Is it true that for #89 and #906 LED flashers that the ground wire must be removed for each flasher in order for them to work properly? Does that apply to my machine? Thanks in advance!

Welcome to Pinside. If your interested come join the DE Star Wars club. To find it go to "All Clubs" and look for it. There are great pictures and help threads there.

#9 8 years ago

Will do! Thanks!

#10 8 years ago

Hey txstargazer3,

When you bought your kit from CT, did they include blue leds for r2d2? What about the exposed lights at obi-wan (red) the 3 yellows (han solo) and the red, green and yellow at emperor palpatine? Color matched? Are those super brites or frosted? Are they the same type (frosted or supers) as the rest of the insert lights under the Playfield?
What type and color did you get with the kit for the GI? Backbox? And flashers? All white? Frosted or retros or superbrites? Do you get a map for guidance on installation? Thanks!

#11 8 years ago

That was a couple of years ago and I have since sold the machine, so I don't remember that level of specifics. Sorry! They did come with a map for installation.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Wow your machine looks awesome! Very nice!

I responded to your PM you sent me.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

That was a couple of years ago and I have since sold the machine, so I don't remember that level of specifics. Sorry! They did come with a map for installation.

Thanks so much!

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

I responded to your PM you sent me.

I just responded, thanks so much!

#15 8 years ago

SW Data East looks great with LEDS, here a few pics of the one I recently sold

416773997.jpg416773997.jpg

416774091.jpg416774091.jpg

416774050.jpg416774050.jpg

416774127.jpg416774127.jpg

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from Esoteric_rt:

SW Data East looks great with LEDS, here a few pics of the one I recently sold

416773997.jpg 416774091.jpg 416774050.jpg 416774127.jpg

Wow! Looks awesome! Question: What kind and color GI bulbs did you put in the machine? Retros or frosted? Blue? What about the color of your flashers? Did you install frosted leds on the exposed lights at obi-wan, han solo and emperor palpatine? Thanks

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from Jasontaps:

I know Cointaker sell complete LED kits, and DESW is one of them.
I am sure they would know.
categoryId=55
CT%20HEADER%20Web%20White(5).jpg

Thanks

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Wow! Looks awesome! Question: What kind and color GI bulbs did you put in the machine? Retros or frosted? Blue? What about the color of your flashers? Did you install frosted leds on the exposed lights at obi-wan, han solo and emperor palpatine? Thanks

They were all from pinball life, non-ghosting frosted bulbs in the GI (mostly purple and cool white, maybe a couple of blues), all flashers were LEDs also, just a mixture of colors from memory

The best way is to buy a few extra and see what looks best in each socket, that's part of the fun

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from Esoteric_rt:

They were all from pinball life, non-ghosting frosted bulbs in the GI (mostly purple and cool white, maybe a couple of blues), all flashers were LEDs also, just a mixture of colors from memory
The best way is to buy a few extra and see what looks best in each socket, that's part of the fun

Thats a great idea! Will try that for sure, thanks!

#21 8 years ago

Some pics to see other looks.....

Star_Wars_before.jpgStar_Wars_before.jpg

Star_Wars.jpgStar_Wars.jpg

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Star_Wars_before.jpg Star_Wars.jpg

Wow! Can you tell me which color whites on the top and which color whites on the bottom picture? Thanks

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Star_Wars_before.jpg Star_Wars.jpg

Love the brighter whites on the bottom pic....do you know what kind is that? Frosted? Or super brites? Thanks

#24 8 years ago

Yes, They are all frosted, to avoid spotting.
The whites are all 5050 1 SMD, thats the single square diode, "retro" at CT.
Theres a Single 2 SMD in the center to pull a bit brighter for depth of field.
The green Yoda is a 6mm frosted.
Colors used on People were frosted Sunlight.

Kits will give you the same bulb in all spots, which is fine, other then Yoda. The brighter bulb causes the green to flow
into the letters, so a dimmer LED is used.

It is my opinion to stay all frosted, and simply chose your brightness level.
The game looks stunning in White or Sunlight, and a bit of color added to the playfield...be it some Purple, Blue, Red, or Ice Blue.
But mostly, 90% of your backbox, and general illumination, is white.

You can color match all your inserts, same frosted, in Twin 2835..red with red, green with green, etc.
But if you use 1 level lower in brightness, a 1 SMD, you would use Warm White in your Yellows and Oranges,

It isnt hard...the hardest is trying to get it perfect to Your taste, with only one attempt,
Dont be afraid to experiment..color changing bulbs, new colors, strips. to try out,

You can go conservative, or light to play in the dark.

This link might help with many of your questions.

http://www.cometpinball.com/category-s/1825.htm

Many great vendors for you, and sales coming up this week.

Art

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Kits will give you the same bulb in all spots, which is fine, other then Yoda. The brighter bulb causes the green to flow
The game looks stunning in White or Sunlight, and a bit of color added to the playfield...be it some Purple, Blue, Red, or Ice Blue.
You can color match all your inserts, same frosted, in Twin 2835..red with red, green with green, etc.
But if you use 1 level lower in brightness, a 1 SMD, you would use Warm White in your Yellows and Oranges,
It isnt hard...the hardest is trying to get it perfect to Your taste, with only one attempt,
Dont be afraid to experiment..color changing bulbs, new colors, strips. to try out,

Art

Nice! I really really appreciate all your help with this project! Very good info! Thanks!!!

#27 8 years ago

Wow! Thanks for the info! Really appreciate it!!

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Art

I have another question if you don't mind: Is it true that for flashers # 89 and # 906 that the ground wire must be removed for each lamp? Or else they wont work correctly and just stay ON? I read that at marcospecialies on the description for their Star Wars Led kit. Did you have this issue with yours?

Also, did you add color to your flashers? Or just kept them white? Thanks!

#29 8 years ago

I don't recall any issues, and tend to color match flashers....control the brightness of the ones close to your eyes in any
Game, to not blind players.

Art

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I don't recall any issues, and tend to color match flashers....control the brightness of the ones close to your eyes in any
Game, to not blind players.
Art

Awesome! Thanks!

#31 8 years ago

I recommend adding an Energi Maestro to smooth out the LEDs. I love LEDs but they can be harsh! It is a well designed product. Very easy to install and setup, no software required. I put one in DESW and BF and it makes the game more enjoyable.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-gi-smoother-for-data-east/page/5#post-2636911

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

I recommend adding an Energi Maestro to smooth out the LEDs. I love LEDs but they can be harsh! It is a well designed product. Very easy to install and setup, no software required. I put one in DESW and BF and it makes the game more enjoyable.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-gi-smoother-for-data-east/page/5#post-2636911

Cool! Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
€ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-wars-data-east-led-upgrade?hl=zarklin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.