(Topic ID: 2121)

star wars data east. flippers very weak, other features inop.

By mwirta

13 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 years ago by mwirta
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 13 years ago

trying to figure out why the flippers are weak, some other features are inop. ball wont launch to start the game. when i hit the flippers the kickback will operate. i am thinking its probably the bridge rectifier. but i am unsure how to test it. i am an auto mechanic and have pretty good skills with a multimeter but i cannot seem to find any wiring diagrams either. help.
thanks.
mark wirta.
[email protected]

#2 13 years ago

One easy thing to try; Lift the table up. Turn the lights a little low and have the game test the coils...look for bright light coming from one or more coils. If one is grounding it could cause the flippers to be weak.

#3 13 years ago

More than likely you have a shorted coil somewhere in the machine. The coils are linked together so if one fails, or diode fails the chain is broken making other things not work. Is it coils that are not working or is it lights as well? Believe it on not check all the fuses. As far as the weak flippers go check this to see if you can figure out the problem. http://www.pinrepair.com/de/index2.htm#flip0

here is an example:

On solid state flipper games (Robocop and later), if the flipper works but is very weak, the power side of the flipper circuit has failed. Check the fuses on the flipper board (there are 2 fuses for each flipper, one power fuse and one hold fuse). If the power fuse is blown and the hold fuse is working, this will make the flipper work but very very weak (since the flipper is operating at 7 volts). If replacing the power fuse and it blows immediately, replace the TIP36 transistor on the flipper board associated with that flipper. The TIP36 transistor is easily checked with a DMM, see the transistor section for more details). If a TIP36 has an internal short this will blow the power fuse immediately, allowing only the hold's TIP32 transistor to make the flipper move "up". Also check the S2800B Silicon Controlled Rectifiers.
Check the bridge and capacitor that supply voltage for the flipper coils. An open diode in the bridge rectifier that supplies power to the flippers can cause weak flippers. A fatigued or cracked solder joint on this bridge (or its associated capacitor) can do that too. This is rare, but can happen. This problem will affect BOTH flippers equally.

#4 13 years ago

I have a DE Star Wars I am parting out. If you need anything PM me.

1 week later
#5 13 years ago

forgot to mention that when i hit the flippers they are weak and the kickback operates with the flippers. some of the lights are inop also. this all happened all at once. how do i check the bridge rectifiers?

#6 13 years ago

Which lights are inop; GI, flashers or inserts? Need to know all of them that are out that a bulb replacement didn't fix. Could be a problem with the switch matrix.

2 weeks later
#7 13 years ago

ok. just turned game on. did not even press start and when i hit the flippers the kickback is operating. i hit the start button and it reads 0 balls missing, and will not kick the ball out. this kickback issue seems very strange to me.

#8 13 years ago

what exactly do you mean by looking for a bright light from the coils. seems like the coil to kick the ball out to start the game is not working at all.

#9 13 years ago

i run the coil test. more than half of the coils are inop. and there is a loud buzzing from k1 on the ppb-1 board.

#10 13 years ago

pretty sure i found it. had 3 blown fuses. replaced them. started up. kickback stuck on.

#11 13 years ago

wondering which transistor controls the kickback

#12 13 years ago

I would maybe start with reseating or replacing the game eprom if you things are going weird without a good explanation. It's essentially the program that loads into the CPU/MPU to run everything.

#13 13 years ago

According to the schematics, the kickback (DE calls it Laserkick) is controlled by transistor Q1 on the PPB, which in turn is controlled by transistors Q15 and Q39 on the CPU board. Check all three of these to see if any of them are shorted and locking on the coil. Hope this helps.

#14 13 years ago

Thanks for joining and replying stangbat. I've never owned a DE machine or that one and told him all I could give was general advice.

Please stick around and welcome.

#15 13 years ago

sounds great. dont want to sound dumb. i can locate the transistors. but how do i check for a shorted transistor. i have the owners manual but it is very limited.

#16 13 years ago

Transistor testing is covered here:
http://www.pinrepair.com/de/index2.htm#trans

You use a multimeter on its diode test mode and test between the center leg and the outside legs. The type of transistor determines as to whether you attach the red or black lead to the center leg. Pinrepair details which way you hook it up for the different types.

2 weeks later
#17 13 years ago

stangbat. i ordered two tip 36c transistors and when i test them out of the box i get 4.8v on one leg and an open on the other. that doesnt seem right?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Boards
Slap Save Creations

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-wars-data-east-flippers-very-weak-other-features-inop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.