Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpeg
#1 8 years ago

Hello fellow pinsiders!
I need your help! My death star target only registers about 6 times out of 10 when you hit it during game play. What can I do to fix it? Clean it? How? Or replace it? How? Thanks!!!

#2 8 years ago

Isnt that basically a leaf switch?

#3 8 years ago

I think, not really sure. I am new at this. Thanks

#4 8 years ago

With the game off, Clean the leaf contacts by squeezing and sliding a business card between the contacts. You may have to unbolt the assembly to get to it. I don't remember. Then make sure the leaf contacts are about 1/16" apart. Basically, almost touching but far enough so they won't register by shaking the machine or something.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

With the game off, Clean the leaf contacts by squeezing and sliding a business card between the contacts. You may have to unbolt the assembly to get to it. I don't remember. Then make sure the leaf contacts are about 1/16" apart. Basically, almost touching but far enough so they won't register by shaking the machine or something.

Yeah that target is soldered in there but will try what u just said. Thanks!!

#6 8 years ago

You shouldn't have to unsolder the target to adjust the gap. A leaf bending tool is preferred but there are other ways to do it.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

You shouldn't have to unsolder the target to adjust the gap. A leaf bending tool is preferred but there are other ways to do it.

Yeah, i rather not try to unsolder it. Not very experienced. Thanks!

#8 8 years ago

Yes but its sooo hard to get to it! I just dont see how i can even touch the leaf switch w/o removing the whole assembly? Any suggestions please? image.jpegimage.jpeg

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

Can you tell me another way to do this please?

4 months later
#10 8 years ago

For reference, it is easy to access the Death Star target. Remove the two screws that hold the metal part with the motor, it lifts right off the black plastic sliding assembly that holds the target.

Then the switch is exposed and it can be lifted off the black sliding mechanism by removing two screws (that have nylon lock nuts on the back).

Anyone know what the two screws showing on that metal bracket are for? Seem to be attached to nothing.

#11 8 years ago

Hopefully this Pinwiki article will help.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Star_Wars

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

For reference, it is easy to access the Death Star target. Remove the two screws that hold the metal part with the motor, it lifts right off the black plastic sliding assembly that holds the target.
Then the switch is exposed and it can be lifted off the black sliding mechanism by removing two screws (that have nylon lock nuts on the back).
Anyone know what the two screws showing on that metal bracket are for? Seem to be attached to nothing.

Thanks for the response! I was still clueless and afraid to mess with it. I will try what you just suggested and report back today after work. Thanks!

#13 8 years ago

Thank you! Will check it out!

#14 8 years ago

Do you guys think its possible to unscrew the target plastic face to get to the switch? Thanks

#15 8 years ago

The switch and target face plastic are all one piece like this: http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3357

You may not need to unscrew the target to clean it (but not super hard to do). Check also that the target is not jammed against the plastic frame and that it can freely close the switch contacts when a ball hits it.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Do you guys think its possible to unscrew the target plastic face to get to the switch? Thanks

No, it is riveted. But the switch screws to the base like any other target. Two small screws.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

The switch and target face plastic are all one piece like this: http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3357
You may not need to unscrew the target to clean it (but not super hard to do). Check also that the target is not jammed against the plastic frame and that it can freely close the switch contacts when a ball hits it.

Well I have tried many times to slide a business card thru the side and its impossible. My target is not riveted. It has a screw. Just wondering if its possible to unscrew the face of the target to make it easier to clean the switch? Thanks!

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from williams:

No, it is riveted. But the switch screws to the base like any other target. Two small screws.

Mine has a screw. Just wondering if its possible to unscrew it to clean the switch? Thanks!

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

Have you guys ever removed the whole assembly from underneath? I read the article but just wanted to know if its easy or hard to do. Don't want to get myself into trouble. Thanks

#20 8 years ago

It's not hard to do. I've done it 3-4 times. I have replaced the target before. The article above covers it well.

As others stated, clean the contacts with a business card. Would also slightly adjust the gap between lead switches.

If you have problems, let us know...

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from BrianZ:

It's not hard to do. I've done it 3-4 times. I have replaced the target before. The article above covers it well.
As others stated, clean the contacts with a business card. Would also slightly adjust the gap between lead switches.
If you have problems, let us know...

Sounds great! I read the article and it mentioned something about being careful not to short the wires and diodes. How do I avoid this? Basically put everything back without wires and diodes not touching right? Just want to be extra extra careful here. Thanks! Will report back! You guys rock!

#22 8 years ago

Being a new pin owner with no experience in fixing this kind of stuff can be intimidating. At some point, though, you just have to dive in and get your hands dirty. That's the only way you will ever learn. Just make sure to turn the game off before working on it ...

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Being a new pin owner with no experience in fixing this kind of stuff can be intimidating. At some point, though, you just have to dive in and get your hands dirty. That's the only way you will ever learn. Just make sure to turn the game off before working on it ...

Very true! Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-wars-data-east-death-star-target?hl=williams and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.