You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpeg
DSC01941.jpg
image_1.jpeg
image.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kornfreak28.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Hello fellow pinsiders!

I have owned Star Wars Data East for 5 years now. How can i tell if my machine has the new 20th anniversary version installed in it? Whats different between the original and the new version? I couldn't tell because i have only played mine. Is there something i can look out for while playing it that would tell me i have the new version? Or can i maybe check the main cpu board and see if i can spot the new rom chip? Where is it located? How does it look like? Thanks!

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

If you turn it off and back on, one of the first things on the display should be the version #. You can post that here.
Also , an easy way to tell is if you shoot the ramp over and over you just get a small amount of points. Like 1 million after 5 ramps or such

Thanks i will post that later today!

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Chads Star Wars 1.04 was released 3 years ago around Christmas time. You do not have it running on your game if you have owned it for 5 years. Here is the changelog. Maybe John Wart still has roms that you can purchase.
* STERN PINBALL, INC. *
* (C) COPYRIGHT 1992 - 2012 STERN PINBALL, INC. *
* Star Wars *
HELP US, HELP YOU! If you have any suggestions, questions, need
technical advice, find errors or have comments, please contact us through
our website:

or call 1-800-542-5377. You can also e-mail [email protected] to
report any software and/or game-related problems.
This text file and all other documents relating to this product,
playfield components, features, rules, programming and operation are
subject to change without notice (Service bulletins, if applicable,
available through our website).
V1.04 - December 19, 2012
=========================
- Added Freeze (ball save) on a 10 second timer.
- Ramp no longer collects Force Award.
- Climbing ramp bonus reduced.
- Relite Force Award via ramp normalized to every 5 shots.
- Lite Extra Ball ramp count logic changed.
- S in Star Wars no longer spotted at beginning of ball
- Pop Bumper Sarlaac Value increased.
- Jabba Scoop will award Sarlaac Value plus Jabba Award when lit.
- Relite Relaunch logic now based on current ball time.
- Hitting Drop Targets bank once will relite Left Orbit when required.
- Chance to attain Extra Ball via Force Award increased.
- Required number of Pop Bumpers to collect AT-AT Walker mode reduced.
- Dark Side shot requirement increased.
- Shoot The Death Star remains active if was active during ball drain.
- Initial Tri-Ball Jackpot value increased.
- End Of Ball Bonus awards and maximum increased.
- Default high scores lowered.
- Combo and Super Combo awards increased.
- Sound calls added to Combo and Super Combo.
- Skill Shot audio stereo panning synchonized with display.
- Voice calls added to "This is no cave" shot.
- Sound and video added to Super Laser Kick Force Award.
- Left/Right Orbit Audits fixed.
- Force Award Audit fixed.

Thanks for your respose! Looks like you are correct. I will post the version anyway later today. Do you think i can find the new version on a site like marcospecialties? I saw one there: its called the STAR WARS DATA EAST EPROM C5 GAME 1.04. Any chance of this being the new version? Thanks

#8 8 years ago

Yes, version 1.04 is the new code version. This is a single eprom that you would replace.
If you are ordering, you should verify you have the latest display roms too - ROM0 A.105 and ROM1 A.105 - there are 2 display roms
I'm not seeing both display roms on Marcos site.
I've had good success with roms from John Wart. He's been burning roms for many years for the pinball community. [email protected]
It wouldn't hurt to ask.

Thanks for your respose! You said that I have to verify that I have the lastest display roms. Can you please tell me how I could verify that? Visual look at the cpu board? Thanks

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from Curbfeeler:

I have also bought ROMS from John Wart Jr. but honestly on this particular rom I'd contact the author ChadH. He spent many many hours of his life to improve your game, why not let him be the one to sell you the rom? Just IMHO.
Dan

Thats a great idea! Any idea how how i can get a hold of him? Thanks

#13 8 years ago

Cool! Let me try it! Quick question: to install the new version, i assume that i will have to take the board to an electronics place to get it installed?

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

Go ahead and ask Chad, but based on recent events, I don't believe Chad is selling them anymore.
If Chad can't help you, I can. I would recommend making a donation to him regardless for his time.

Sounds great! Do you sell the newer version?

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Correct. I recommend johnwartjr for your ROM needs.

My website is

You will also find the detailed Guide to all the changes in the Star Wars 1.04 update on my website.

Thanks for your response! I sent John Wart a message but no response yet. Do you think he still sells the newer version? Can you please tell me which board i have to disconnect and where exactly the new version rom is placed on the board? Thanks

#20 8 years ago

Oh snap! I didnt realize i was talking to John Wart already! My bad!!! Yes sir, can you please sell me the new version and tell me what to do? Thanks!

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

Some Star Wars had 2 display ROMs, some have 1.
It's easy to convert a 2 display ROM game to a single display ROM. It's the same software, it's just on 2 smaller chips or 1 larger chip. You just clip the zero ohm resistor at R11 on the back of the display board
If you're buying ROMs, it's cheaper to buy a 2 piece set than a 3 piece set, too.

How can i tell if my star wars has 1 or 2? Thanks

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

First, when you turn on your game, the very first thing it will display is the version of the Display ROM. What version does it show? It goes quickly.
Then it will show the version of your CPU ROM, again quickly. Note those both down and post them here.

Here it is: image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

#31 8 years ago

Good, so all you need is the 1 game rom version 1.04, your display roms are current.

Nice, where can i buy it from? Do you know where it goes on the board? Thanks

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

You have the latest Video ROMs. You do not need those. You only need the new CPU ROM.

Nice! So i dont have to worry about having 1 or 2 displays? Where does the new rom go in the board? Do you know? Thanks so much!

#35 8 years ago

Here are some basic install directions for replacing a rom chip in your game.
You should be able to figure out the game rom you are replacing by looking at your MPU board. Perhaps it has a 1.03 sticker on it. Notice the orientation matters (where pin 1 or the notch will be located on the chip)

Cool! Thats exactly what i needed to know! Now all thats left is actually buying the new rom. So lets say I install it, plug the board back in. Does the game authomatically adapt to the new version? Or am I gonna have to do some sort of steps or change some settings in order to make it work? Thanks

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Correct.

/documents/installing_eproms_de.html<

Thanks for your respose! Do you know if John Wart still sells the chip? I sent him a message but still waiting for an answer. I saw one at marco specialties but not sure if its the correct one. I cannot post the link to it because i am not allowed yet since Im a new pinsiders member. Thanks!

#41 8 years ago

I know! You guys are sharp! So basically i sent a message to Mr. Wart but no reply yet. Does he sell the chip? I saw one at marco specialties but not really sure if its the correct one. Sorry but i am not allowed to post any links yet since im a new pinsiders member. Thanks!

#42 8 years ago

Once I get this done and hopefully everything goes according to plan (recently i blew my power supply for trying to change the batteries with the power ON so I would not lose my settings. I had to buy a new power supply since the original was done. Ouch! So i am a little scared to mess with the boards but will do so with the power OFF this time to take it to a local computer repair place so they can install the new chip) i will make a donation to you guys for helping me out with this project. Where I live, there is NOBODY that works on pinball machines. No wonder I blew the power supply LOL!

#44 8 years ago

John replied to you above in post #14, yes he sells the chip so if you emailed him, I'm sure he will get back to you. Whenever you work on your game turn the game off. Everyone has to learn, so if this is your first game take precautions, read, ask questions and then make changes We don't mind to help, we were there before too. There are lots of good pinheads here.

Yes thanks! The crazy thing is that, i has changed the batteries with the power ON before without any issues, but this last time for some crazy reason, the thing just fried! I first battery went out without any problems, but as soon as i touched the second battery, i heard a noise, or a short and bye bye board. Yes i will wait for him to reply. Thanks

#45 8 years ago

I had changed...sorry for the typo

#49 8 years ago
Quoted from Curbfeeler:

Oh one other thing. i bought a set of ROMS for my EBD from John many years back and I wasn't smart enough to check the divot (notch) in the chip to make sure the chip was facing the correct direction. I trusted the label/sticker that John had put on the chip, assuming up must be up. Do NOT do this. Find the divot (notch) in the chip that marks pin 1 and make sure it matches the divot (notch) on the socket. Otherwise you will fry the chip and a few other things as I did.
It's not difficult. I now own my own ROM burner and swap chips all the time, but make sure you pay attention to pin 1.
Dan

Great info! Thanks so much. I can just imagine, taking the board out, driving to the computer place, driving back home, ect ect and to find out it was put there upside down! Thanks so much!

#50 8 years ago
Quoted from Curbfeeler:

Also you have to turn the settings down to easy or else your wife will be mad at you

Why do you say that? Does it get that hard with the new version?

#51 8 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Probably shorted the driver board against the ground plane in the back. Never change batteries with the power on!

Never again, never again! That was a 120 dollar mistake.

#53 8 years ago

You should be able to figure out the game rom you are replacing by looking at your MPU board. Perhaps it has a 1.03 sticker on it. Notice the orientation matters (where pin 1 or the notch will be located on the chip)

I just checked out the instructions on the link. Thanks! Great info! I noticed that there is no soldering involved. But i really dont think i should even attempt to remove the old chip and install the new one. What do you think? Is that something a newbie like me could do?

#54 8 years ago

I just checked out the instructions on the link. Thanks! Great info! I noticed that there is no soldering involved. But i really dont think i should even attempt to remove the old chip and install the new one. What do you think? Is that something a newbie like me could do?

#55 8 years ago

Here are some basic install directions for replacing a rom chip in your game

I just checked the link and its some great info! Thanks!! Do you think a newbie like me can swap the chips out?

#56 8 years ago

Wait what? Driving to the computer place? You realize you are going to turn off the game, pop out one chip with your little flat screwdriver and insert the new chip and you are done correct? No driving necessary, and you don't have to take the board out

Sorry i just saw your reply. Wow so is that easy huh? So basically, i just carefully lift the old chip out and insert new one in? No soldering or nothing correct? I was thinking i was going to have to take the board out and have the computer place solder the new chip in. Good thing that is not the case!

#59 8 years ago

Omg! Good thing you tell me that because i for sure was going to remove that board and have the computer guy install it for me! I thought it was something like removing a diode or resistor that needs desolder and soldering. My bad!

#61 8 years ago

If you are totally paranoid, label all of the connectors on the wires plugged into the MPU board
unplug them leaving them hanging, remove the board frmo the backpanel (maybe 6-8 screws)
Take the board over to a flat surface like your table, and remove the chip with a small flathead screwdriver.
install the new chip remembering where the notch goes (or take a picture)
put the board back in, plug the connectors and turn on the game.
John shows the whole process in this other link:

Now enough talking about it, order the chip and get ready

LOL you are right! Time to buy it and install it! Mr. Wart hasnt replied yet. I sent him a pm asking him to sell me the rom. Still waiting. If he doesnt sell it to me or doesn't have some at the moment, is the one at marcospecialties the one i need? Its called "STAR WARS data east EPROM C5 Game 1.04" is this the one i need? Thanks

#62 8 years ago
Quoted from Curbfeeler:

Chad sets the default from easy to hard, if I recall, which means that the game no longer spots you moons with each ball so you no longer get an automatic open death star on ball 3. I prefer this, but my wife did not. At all...

Lol! I can see why she didn't like it. Good thing my wife doesn't really play my Star Wars or Cueball Wizard. Trying to add NBA Fastbreak to my collection. Its hard to justify the expense but she'll get over it!

#63 8 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Taking the board out of the game is about 100 times more difficult than it is to remove the one chip and put the new one in.
No soldering needed. Just take your time removing the old chip and inserting the new one. Read those two links for tips.

You are right. I just need to stop being so scared to mess with the boards. I will post the results once i purchase and install it. Thanks!!!

#65 8 years ago

If you are totally paranoid, label all of the connectors on the wires plugged into the MPU board
unplug them leaving them hanging, remove the board frmo the backpanel (maybe 6-8 screws)
Take the board over to a flat surface like your table, and remove the chip with a small flathead screwdriver.
install the new chip remembering where the notch goes (or take a picture)
put the board back in, plug the connectors and turn on the game.
John shows the whole process in this other link
Now enough talking about it, order the chip and get ready

So just to confirm (since the instructions talk about eproms on the main cpu board and eproms on the display board) the one i need, goes on the main cpu or on the display board? Thanks

#66 8 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

It looks like it's been less than 24 hours since you emailed him -- give him a chance!

Sure will, no rush...

#68 8 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Dude is gonna make "Pinball Legend" in just one thread...

Lol!

#70 8 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

Seriously long thread to change a ROM. New record.
For the record, you will stand a much larger chance to breaking something by removing the board than had you swapped a chip in place.
It is literally;
Shut the machine off.
Take off backglass
open door
carefully pry out old chip
carefully insert new chip
close the door
reinstall glass
turn it on
play.
It takes as much if not less time to do as this did to type
The only 2 things you need to do is not pry the chip out with a screw driver while twisting off the etches underneath.
Make sure the notch in the chip is the same location as the one you are change. DO NOT TRUST LABEL ORIENTATION as a guide!!!!

Thank you for your help. Sorry about the long tread. I'm new here and new to the pinball world.

#73 8 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

Sorry it took awhile to reply. Some days I'm on pinside more than others. I can appreciate that you're excited

I sent you a PM. Thanks

#76 8 years ago
Quoted from Hawk007:

JWJ will look after you no worries. Super helpful and a nice guy to boot. Very busy guy though but all the good guys are. lol.
And Chad deserves our support. He is a the code guru for anything data east. Every game he touches turns out soooo much better for sure! He has free reign to install any updates he likes on any of my games and I am happy to help in any way I can.
I know LW3 has been played with a little but I hope he does something with it. Its a great game that could/would be epic with his 'help'.
Keep up the amazing work Chad.

Agree

#80 8 years ago
Quoted from balboarules:

When putting the new chip in, make sure all the pins are in the socket holes, otherwise you will bend a pin or a bunch of pins on the chip.. I have ordered way too many from John to even count at this point, I usually find I have to put the chip pins between my thumb and finger, and squeeze them in a little before installing them, as they are usually too wide.. But again, make sure all pin legs are in the socket hole!!

Thanks!!!

#81 8 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

yeah, prob easier to pull board out and put it in so you don't bend any legs on the chip. 1 leg being off can screw up everything. Good lighting is a must when installing. Very easy just make sure all legs are in sockets before you push it in.

Agree

#85 8 years ago
Quoted from balboarules:

And since I learned this the hard way years ago, when removing a chip, as you pry it off, whatever you are using (I use a ultra tiny flat head screwdriver), gently put it between the chip and the socket, only a very small amount, and twist to lift it up to get it started, BUT do NOT put the screwdriver in on an angle, if you do you will scrape the board and the chip will not read correctly.. I learned that the hard way on a Judge Dredd about 10 years ago.

Thanks so much for that info!

#86 8 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Best way to pull a socketed chip? Use the right tool. Pull with even pressure.
image.jpeg

Thanks! Will def buy one!

#88 8 years ago
Quoted from Hawk007:

Make sure to touch the side rail first to discharge any static charge you may have. No need to remove the board. You risk more damage that way. SUPER EASY to change chips. Just take your time and have lots of light. There is also a leg straightener you can buy for cheap that makes all the legs at 90 degrees and makes insertion a snap. I have done too many to count.
Relax and just do it. No need to over think this. And worst case if you screw up its only an eprom and they are cheap.
When removing ...TAKE YOUR TIME..use even pressure and lift each end a little at a time to jar it loose as they can be tight sometimes.. Almost like slowly rocking the chip out. Haven't damaged a chip yet in 20 years.
Good luck!

Thanks for your help! I just ordered the rom from John today! Will do what you just said, take my time and lift little by little. My question is: when you install the new one, do you hear a "click"? Or how can you tell for sure its in there the right way? I dont want to power on the machine until i know for sure the rom its installed properly. Thanks

#90 8 years ago
Quoted from nick64:

On the chip there is a notch on one side, put chip in with the notch facing the same way . I just did Jurassic Park the notch was on the right hand side put a small blade screw driver under the notch lift gently. As others have said make sure the new legs line up, you may need to adjust the legs once lined up push gently till aĺl flush ..
J

Thanks!

#92 8 years ago
Quoted from egyptrus:

There isn't a "click" or any other audible clue to let you know that it's in fully or correctly. Look at the one you're taking out before you remove it. The new one should look similar once it's in. Essentially, you put in and gently press it in, evenly, across the length of the chip. It will only go in so far so once it's in, it's in.

Thanks!!

#97 8 years ago
Quoted from Hawk007:

No worries happy to help.
As mentioned above......It will be obvious after you do it the first time. It just snugly fits in there. Just line up the notch and the legs and press evenly and carefully until it starts to go in and then bottom it out in the socket and BAM way you go.
Easy peasy lemon squeesy...lol
PM me should you have any trouble.
You can always practice on an old board if you have one with any socketed chips on it but no need to over think it. Exercise caution and you will be fine.
Using lots of light is key for first timers. No such thing as too much light when working on things like this.

I appreciate that!

#98 8 years ago
Quoted from ahdelarge:

I learned this the hard way. Put a new game code chip in around the wrong way. When I put it back in, the game had errors. I ended up replacing the chip and no freezing images on the display after that.

Thanks for the tip! Good info!

#99 8 years ago
Quoted from Hawk007:

Yea I told him about the tool to do that. Its about 3 to 5 bucks and straightens chip legs perfectly to exactly 90 degrees. It does narrow on one side and wide on the other side up to 40 pin chips .
Its a 'must have' tool like the chip puller. Screwdrivers are not to be used as they can damage the minute traces

Thanks! I'll look for it on ebay!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kornfreak28.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-wars-data-east-20th-anniversary-edition?tu=kornfreak28 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.