(Topic ID: 333722)

Star Wars Comic Premium: LCD screen is blank

By brittanygibson

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

62B8077B-A960-4876-8E1C-14387FB0B43E (resized).jpeg
    View (resized).jpg
    LCD (resized).jpg
    Node (resized).jpg
    #1 1 year ago

Hello! I’m encountering an issue on my Star Wars Comic Premium where everything on the game is working correctly but the LCD screen is not being displayed. The problem occurred after closing the coin door after editing a few settings. Has anyone seen this issue before? I've made sure that all of the LCD components aren't loose, so I'm not sure what the problem could be. I added a few images of what I see. Thank you!

LCD (resized).jpgLCD (resized).jpgNode (resized).jpgNode (resized).jpgView (resized).jpgView (resized).jpg
    #2 1 year ago

For a start. Power off. Then reseat data and power cables to the screen, both ends.

Then turn the game on and see if it improved.

LTG : )

#3 1 year ago

LTG Thank you for the response! Yeah, I reseated those cables earlier but sadly no luck

#4 1 year ago

Check and reseat (with the power off!) the 4wire backlight power connector.

#5 1 year ago

TrixTrix Hey! I’ve reseated that as well but still have the same result

#6 1 year ago

Did you change the LCD Brightness adjustment? Open the coin door and press the enter button to go into the Service Menu. Does the screen appear? If so navigate to Adj->Std->LCD Brightness and adjust accordingly.

#7 1 year ago

TrixTrix I didn’t change any settings for the LCD, just minor stuff like score resets. If I try to access the service menu the screen is still blank

#8 1 year ago

While the game is on if you shine a flashlight at the LCD from right up close to the panel can you see the image?

If so the panel is getting the data, it’s just not lighting up.

#9 1 year ago

YeOldPinPlayer Hey! I tried that and yes I can see the screen when shining on it closely.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from brittanygibson:

YeOldPinPlayer Hey! I tried that and yes I can see the screen when shining on it closely.

Call your distributor or stern tech support and they should be able to help you with a replacement screen. Sounds like the backlight failed

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from brittanygibson:

It’s also worth mentioning that if the brightness somehow got turned down as TrixTrix mentioned the screen will also look like that. Some patience with the flashlight should allow you to get to the menu option they mentioned and try to turn the brightness up.

That means the backlight isn’t working.
    IMO replacing the panel is the best solution but it is possible to repair them. You’ll have to disassemble it and figure out which lamp you need. Likely even Stern doesn’t know that part number, they probably buy the panels already assembled.
    https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/116-0023-00

#12 1 year ago

Thank you for the responses! I will give the brightness adjustment a go and if all else fails I will try and get a replacement

#13 1 year ago

I suspect the backlight power cable before the actual display. Do you have another Spike2 game to swap in the power cable? (again only when the games are turned off....)

#14 1 year ago

...and what electrical mods do I see in the backbox photo? Lit speakers, what else? Where are they drawing power from? What is in the middle nodebus RJ45, a topper?

#15 1 year ago

TrixTrix This is my only game so I don’t have a different cable and I think those are the only electrical mods in the machine. The middle RJ45 is the topper

#16 1 year ago

As an update to the thread, I replaced the LCD with the one you sent me YeOldPinPlayer and everything is now working! Thank you everyone for the help. May the pinball gods be with you ❤️

62B8077B-A960-4876-8E1C-14387FB0B43E (resized).jpeg62B8077B-A960-4876-8E1C-14387FB0B43E (resized).jpeg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-wars-comic-premium-lcd-screen-is-blank and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.