• 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by zaphX
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6020 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Groo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 6 years ago

Beat me to the punch with this topic. Full disclosure, I saw SW 7 times in the theater back in 77 and is probably my number one dream theme besides Groo, but that won't be happening ever. Also immediately sold my TWD to get this one as well so you can say I'm a little biased. In addition, this is the 3rd Steve Ritchie table I've owned and would buy another of his older ones if the price was right.

After 3 weeks, and playing a bit with .89, I am not regretting my purchase. I love the cabinet and back glass artwork. At first I didn't care too much for the playfield art but I like it now and really like the little scenes surrounding the mission groups. Casual observers that I've had over really like the art as well.

I'm not the best pinball player in the world(I don't nudge), or even my house, so I find the shots challenging and hope to get used to them over time. We have the pitch set a little higher so the speed is pretty high. (bubble is almost all the way in the top third on the level) I miss the SR kickback shot that was in GOT, but the Tatooine kickout is pretty fast, as well as the inner loops that rocket it back to the flippers. BTW, in over 300 games the ball has never gone SDTM from VUK, always goes to the left flipper. I think that the speed, shots, dare I say flow, all match in my mind what Star Wars would feel like. I like the tie fighter bobble and the minigame with the tie fighters and button mashing. It's been fun to progress from trying to cradle it while I mash, but now we are almost flipping the ball back up there and mashing it and adds a welcome challenge. Just learning the multipliers has been fun as well, moving them on the fly or when the ball gets up in the pops, or mystery.

I really like the screen as well with only a few minor complaints/suggestions. The mini lcd just seems to duplicate the main screen often and I hope that changes. Also with the Tie and HS hurryups, I don't like the way it covers the entire screen. I'm hoping that just changes a bit so I can still see the normal HUD and what targets I still need. Also love the "callouts" when I miss or hit a shot. Maybe I just haven't heard it yet, but would love to add Han and his "he's the brains sweetheart" in there as well.

I also like the depth and having to complete the variety of missions per character and should take me a while to do so, considering my limited skills as mentioned earlier. The fact that the code still isn't complete speaks wonders in my mind for this game. To know there are still things going to be added, rather than "hoping" things get added makes a difference for me. I don't feel like a beta tester and am in the camp of being happy they got the game out as they progress. I haven't seen that many bugs so far, and will be patiently waiting for the next code release while enjoying the heck out of this game.

Things I'm hoping for: Get that Hoth I mission right. Would love to see tow cables/inner loop/LE loop type of gameplay. <$500 topper, and since Artoo is my favorite droid ever, it should be pretty cool. Millenium Falcon addon <$50. If not, getting one from the Xwing miniatures game and putting on there. Side blades to improve the overall artwork on the game. A truly great video mode. A nice custom plunger.

Overall though, I feel like the next pinball machine I get will be to go along side this one, not to replace it. Extremely happy with the purchase, and I don't feel like they went cheap on me and glad to see the LEDs match the Premium/LE versions. Lastly, there is no game I've played that I actually enjoy watching the Match animation. That is a nice touch with the light show.

#16 6 years ago

I have the SW pro. My biggest problem with TWD was the audio. I know there are mods to put show callouts in there but I wasn't going to mess with that. I had the color DMD too which I think added a lot to it, but in the end I think I'll like Star Wars better.

Friends and family it's hands down SW. The WD theme turned off the kids from playing.

#20 6 years ago

A couple of things to add. Knock on wood, pun intended, but I haven't seen any sign of ghosting or any defects at all on this machine or the 3 previous NIB machines from Stern. All have worked great and never had any issues. Shooter lane on this still looks brand new.
Also Gameroom Guys have delivered all 4 and they have been great. On time, getting it down the stairs and set up properly, very professional. Glad I'm nearby and can go in and sample the games too.

#24 6 years ago

It has been 3 weeks now and I gave it a good once over and still no slivers. I wonder, does humidity have anything to do with it? I have a de-humidifier running constantly in my basement so it stays pretty normal moisture wise.

#41 6 years ago

I still haven't figured out the Hyperspace deal. I know to shoot the DS shot to score it, but there are high scores for # of Parsecs and that, but don't really see the HS shot advancing anything like the Ties do.
Also for those just starting, settle the multiplyers on the DS and left ramp to cover those shots if you don't feel like moving them. You could set them before .89 and hit the button to plunge the ball and lock them on, but now the button only serves the ball and you have to hit it again to lock them in after the ball has entered play.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Carl Junction, MO
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
5,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 250.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Groo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-wars-a-positive-review?tu=Groo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.