SQ_box (resized).jpg
IMG_1219 (resized).JPG
storm-trooper (resized).jpg
ikea (resized).jpg
1trvek (resized).jpg
IMG_2380 (resized).JPG
Boob 3rd grade (resized).jpg
IMG_2426 (resized).PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thelaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

I honestly don't think any of sterns designers would have created the game that met/exceeded everyones expectations.

You know it's funny, everyone has been stroking to their "dream themes" for years here, tons of threads aboot them all the time since way before my time. And now that they're actually happening I think it's hard to match the sticky sheets peeps have been dreaming aboot.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Everytime I hear negative things about a game, I just remember how stoked everybody was about GB. And then...

It's almost like you gotta play'em to see how they play.

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

...I wouldn't listen to any of the negative reviews. The people that have played it enough like Booms and Smokedog are loving it.

Well there you go, 2 people

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Play it a few hundred times and then tell me what you think.

Didn't like it, sold it in a couple months...so you can at least add that to you list of unbiased non love

Quoted from beelzeboob:

But people have been complaining about the depth and code updates...and cheap drains.

It's hard to just say one way or the other "people don't like it/people love it."
I agree with ice you can have people hate it because it doesn't meet their middle aged masturbatory ideas they had in their theme whore mind. Or, you can just not like it for real reasons. Whom knows.

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

I see the same people crap in every thread relating to a game that they don't like (this isn't just SW related), ...

And SW is ground zero for this one now. Besides all the replacement, ghosting, & code concern (all legit), A lot was it didn't look they way it wanted to, "I always imagined an AT-AT would be there wouldn't that be cool?" "holy cow you want me to multiply things and hit a 3rd button" turn offs before you touch the goddamn thing.

#70 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

When you think of a game like Tron, that's a pretty open playfield with only one feature: the spinning disc behind the motorized drop target bank. But that game is still awesome as well.

because great rules, great feel, Lawlor lay...er Borg layout.

#117 6 years ago
Quoted from fugus:

Has anybody considered the that a lot of the cost is the license so hence an empty looking pin?

Yep that it gobbled up the BOM has been talked aboot.

#119 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

So the option is to do a compromised Star Wars or not do Star Wars because of the license cost?

That was my first thought

#121 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Not sure where this idea that licensing is expensive is coming from. Historically it was $50 per game.

Probably just because it's Star Wars...also probably because people still want to believe it isn't just a total screw job on the costumer.

#131 6 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

If it were my company, all the levels of machines would play exactly the same way and have the same playfield shots, ramps, and features. The Premium and LE lines would just have added bling to the outside of the machine, that's it.

...Edit: Further proving that I failed Pinball History 101, ...

You might be failing business 101 too

#166 6 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

I'd love to know who the 20 are, makin' their mommas so proud!

Spoilers

#169 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

What about "world under glass" references?

Well I assume it's just fine since I'm the only one that downvotes anyone that types it. It's the worst...yes worse that *shrug*

#171 6 years ago
Quoted from Hawkeyepin:

What's a "player"? I thought this was a pinball forum. Am I wrong?

Well you have your players on one side, and your diaper rubbers on the other.

#174 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Don't google that.

Well not at work anyway

#178 6 years ago
Quoted from Hawkeyepin:

Seriously, is it guys who play in tournaments? If so, where can I find footage of these athletes that mere nerds tremble in the presence of?

Well you sound like a player if you don't know the diff'rence. You sound upset but this is kind of a real thing...I think we even used to have a whole foxworthy "you might be a Pinsider if..." type thing going at some point.
My guess is you think most people would say they are a player when in fact that isn't the case. You have a sustantial number of people that enjoy the tinkering & fixing more than playing. The newer breed are even more so interested in modding even before playing.

So it's not really as outlandish as you're making it sound.

#181 6 years ago
Quoted from Hawkeyepin:

Well Crazy Levi said he thinks there's only 20 players in here (Pinside).

I read it as 20 players in this thread, as he mentions Pinside separately after

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Players will like this game. So that's like 20 of you.
Pinsiders? Who the Hell knows....

#185 6 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

...most of the discussion on Star Wars focuses on such things as ....

And the crushed dreams, the childhood ruining, the way they should have have made it just the way people envisioned it yada yada..,..tear city

Quoted from mittens:

It's almost as stationary as RBION is."

My favorite Stern machine

#205 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

If you like SW, cool. If you don't, that doesn't mean Levi gets to dictate how you're defined within the world of pinball.

YEAH! I mean unless it's you and GB then it's OK...cause ya know that's kind of "a thing."

EDIT: True thing though

#208 6 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

I mean, I've spent the entire pre-release cycle of this pin hating it and having a publicly negative opinion, and then I played it and enjoyed it.

What would you like us to call you? Traitor, liar, Turncoat?!!?

#211 6 years ago

God what advertising?

#222 6 years ago

Uff my Damn fine Subie onky went for 7!

#233 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I'm a PLAYER.

When I play GOT, I just turn my brain off and flow flow flow flow until I get to Winter Is Coming and Hand Of The King...not sure what I did or how I got there, but I just kept flowin' till it happened.

Good lord

Quoted from trunchbull:

Haha exactly. I mean, their position with regards to customers is basically neutral-to-antagonistic at this point.

Want to get excited to buy a game? Go check the picture section at Stern...friikkin low ass quality 300x300 pixel pictures no zoom wtf? That's the kind of shit that's just pathetic.

#238 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Oh well, I guess everyone playing it on location isn't a "player" cuz they just flip it instead of learning math-chess!

You'd be amazed how long points have been involved in pinball.

#242 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

IMO it's more organic for most players to digest mode/event/story/progress logic....and that's how all popular games are, so it's not an outlier. This new type of game that's ALL mathy points logic is new. If you like it, cool - but it's polarizing.

Well I wonder if we know enough, or the code knows enough, to really know whether it is organic or not (Full Disclosure - I HAVE NOT played this once).

GOT is another 'Math Rock' game, but since I know it well I can see it's...organics? I'm not explaining in depth or trying to make you like it, not every game is for everyone, just explaining how it might make more sense then you'd think.
Anyway, by completing modes, you light the sword shot that awards you a sword...let's call it an Elven gift if that helps This gift allows you to increase the Playfield Multiplier. There you have it, further progression in the game, more progressive points.

Quoted from Rarehero:

This new type of game that's ALL mathy points logic is new.

Some parts are "new" for sure, more like a combination of parts that are old. "Playfield" multipliers, shot multipliers, these are not new ideas I just don't think they've been put together before (although some smart ass will bud in).

#245 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

... (which I call baked potato toss),

Truth

#249 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

SW is lacking that "one cool thing"...so, it's "cool thing" is the strategic rules - but no one walking up to it is gonna get that. It'll be interesting to see how people feel once the Prem/LE come out, since that game will have the "cool thing" on it.

I can totally understand that, but what do we care aboot what joe average thinks? I'm just trying to figure out what machine you're raging against. Do you dislike the game because it's a rip off with nothing on the PF? Or because it's based completely on points? That's it's hard for newbs to understand? Or all those things?
It's an instesting point system, and I don't think every game should work the same, so what's wrong with games being diff'rent?
Or again, just a collection of all those mixed up?

Haha i'd get that popcorn ready to see how cool this one thing on the premium is

#252 6 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Yeah, but to Hero's point, do you want to finish the mode with any hit possible and get a Gift, or would you rather not finish the mode, but score more points with only orbit shots?

Which one has more potatoes, and do the Elvin gifts include sour cream?

#254 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I'm not raging. This isn't a GB thread....but it's a SW negative review thread, so, ya know - I'm talking about it lol.

Just using it in the phrase not that you were actually raging. We replaced "raging" with "corn-raging anyway."

#256 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

that's for the Star Trek LE.

Yes I remember it...the "good ol days" of LEs

#258 6 years ago

It's a reference to a certain(t) banned pinsider.

#275 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Keep in mind when comparing DI to SW. is that you can almost buy 2 SW pros for the cost of 1 DI.

What the F*&( are you smoking?

Quoted from CaptainNeo:

you don't pay anywhere near 5500 for a pro if you shop around.

Ah so I can grab one for 4K, a half pricer? that be sweet. Maybe after non of them sell

#292 6 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

Make it an outlane ball save feature a la BK, that's a Ritchie thing, that would've been easy and a nice call-back.

Well for 2 reasons. People are afraid of too many buttons for some reason now And I don't know if Stern PFs can survive magna-Saves

#311 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

but Stern is still making MET, Kiss and some others. Those prices have to still be NIB the same as they were when they were released.

They do? Can you walk in a get a NIB MET for $4300?

#313 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

you think NIB MET or KISS is going to be same as NIB SW?

I really don't know.
Actually it would be a bit more than 4300 as my MET was the original before they changed to LED.

#322 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

actually right now since i'm a top 1000 ranked IFPA member I get get a new premium for pretty damn cheap. and a pro for under 4800. I can take my pick of any of the 5 games they have available.

Wow where are those deals? I haven't played in a year and I'm still under 1000

Well that hyperspace loop loops some balls around in a circle.

#326 6 years ago

Better get a move on

Qualified players will have until December 31st, 2016 to redeem their rewards from 2015. After that date all rewards for 2015 will expire. Qualified players can redeem their rewards by contacting the IFPA. (Any 2016 rewards winners have until August 15th 2017 to redeem their reward)

#461 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Uhhhh hate to disagree with you rare, but the GOT PRO kick back smokes IM war machine kick back every day.....

but GOT PROs dragon kick back is the best kick back implementation than any kick back around;....

Agreed

Hmmm...boy I think a well working General Yagoff still might be tops.

Quoted from Jvspin:

I never did get the love for Tron and IM....It wouldn't be so bad if a stripped down game also came with a reduced price.

Wwll in those games defense they were cheaper back then.

#465 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Is this a GB situation? Out of the box sucks,
but tweaked for home use is better?

Never screwed around with mine and it's great.

#474 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

My GOT PRO was the easiest, fastest setup I've had with any NIB experience.

Hmm...I'd have to agree with you there. No tweaking at all that I can remember.

Quoted from rai:

I don't know GB too well either but it looks 10x more feature packed.

hahahaa yeah it's umm...got a bunch of shit strewn aboot in there.

#489 6 years ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

I mean who really cares about sitting at home and trapping the ball so you can move the multipliers and then turn them on and then make the shot for big points?

I thought SR is the king of flow...how is that flow?

i may have to wait for the JJP version when it comes out.

Whom cares aboot strategy? I would think lots of people actually.

Oh jesus not the flow shit again.

Ladies and gentleman, Pinside.

#528 6 years ago
Quoted from forensicd:

Heres the problem, and its totally my fault.

Go on....

Quoted from forensicd:

The way everyone has been talking about this game I thought it would be a piece of crap and unplayable.

Yes that is your fault indeed. You have 3 SR Sterns so you obviously like his style so I don't know why you would freak out. Have the complaints are aboot the scoring which is similar to your GOT.

Oh and when you have time can you change your collection from the prem/LE to the pro please

#537 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'm just trying to give all my money to Stern to keep pinball alive.

Spoilers, they're F&*%ing rich dude.

#547 6 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

My LE is being shipped soon. I dont know what you guys are talking about, the game looks awesome to me.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/im-addicted-to-pinball-and-need-help

We're trying

#585 6 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I have never cared about points or determinism actually completely the opposite. I just want to work my way through the story or levels.

That's a shame...you should play some pinball machines made before 1980.

#587 6 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Oh I have, just then I was a little kid and I could care less about points. In those days 25 cents was...

Yes that's what I mean....you should play them now.

#589 6 years ago

Well with Kieth & Zach working at Stern now you might prepare yourself for little more of this.

#591 6 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I have no issue with it just have no clue what they would make Star Wars a hard core tournament player machine. All the possible themes they thought Star Wars was a good choice for this type of play? I love AC/DC and its pretty hard core with lots of depth but it also very easy to understand and enjoy. I didn't feel like I needed someone to explain how to play it.

This topic has come up before, I didn't understand it then, and I don't understand it now.
With themes that people stroke themselves to, they somehow feel that game should be very simple and easy to understand and dumbed-down. Maybe it's because they liked these themes as a child so it should follow suite? I really don't have any idea.
What makes Ironman a good theme for being kicked in the nuts? BSD is an asscranker because like, vampires are mean? Barb Wire sucks because the movie sucked...well actually that's a fair point.
ACDC is basically a mode-less game with not a ton of adventuring qualities, that's entire point structure is based on risk versus rewards for building jackpots right?

And as always, it's only a hardcore tournament player if you want it to be, which is basically every machine ever built.
You don't want to worry aboot the multipliers, don't, Just shoot and have fun. You don;t have to pay any attention to them in GOT to progress through the modes/stories and get to the wizard modes.

#598 6 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Star Wars is a license that allows you to grow you market. You have to be daft to make your first release for the hard core.....I know pinballs are more expensive then games. Its just an example. The point is ease of entry and learning curve. Wow the big market first the hard core come later.

I also find it strange people keep bringing up points like this. What does a machine not made for the masses of people have to do with you, as a player enjoying it? I dislike GB because I owned it and it wasn't fun to play. Never did I once think "Boy Stern missed a big chance to reach out to John Q Public on this one." And even if I did, it would never come up as a reason not to like it.

I don't see this as a cargument, I see it as a very confusing angle to take. Pinball is not new, Star Wars pinballs are not new, making very hard games are not new. How is this anything like what you're talking aboot?

#603 6 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

You guys like Star Wars and that's great.

The people that don't like it still count.

When you get this type of feedback at the volume that it is coming in, it has validity.
You guys can blow it all off and say things like well play a game before 1980 or well my 7yr old can figure it out. That actually provides nothing.

It could have been much better, hopefully as the code matures they will clean it up and make it more approachable and fun for the masses.

haven't played it yet actually.

I hope you're not referring to yourself because I don't have one bad thing to say aboot you.

Saying a 7 year old understands it is probably just as valid as saying "A bunch of Pinsiders hate it." I know we take ourselves very seriously but I don't think this is the scientific group we'd like to think. Most of the "hate" I see coming is in 2 camps; monetary & dream journals. Normal people in the wild don't care aboot the price of a game vs how many "things" it has in it, so I don't really know how that turns off new customers. The other half or more wanted an At At to pop out of the middle or whatever shit they had been imagining when they curl up in their star wars sheets at night.

Maybe it could have been better, haven't had the time on it to tell, and I don't really care if the masses "get it" at all. The masses have voted and they love South Park the most and TZ the least.
I guess you are "just an average pinball joe on the street" that owns 4 machines and spends time on a pinball forum
I don't know if I can trust you to be impartial.

But whatever we're just talking aboot it no big whoop

#610 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

that's battle damage.

The only thing more common in SW universe than a Tie Fighter getting it's wing blown off is someone losing a hand.
I don't even know if you can blame Stern on this one...always been a design flaw on the Tie Fighter.

#612 6 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I was hoping for a Modern SW Theme...

Huh?

#616 6 years ago
Quoted from tmontana:

It started with GOT, then went to GB, and now this pos multiplier system.
This is why DI is a far superior game. Not toys, but code.

They've had multipliers in games for a long time...including your Tron & Met.

#619 6 years ago
Quoted from tmontana:

Not like this though. Have you played it yet? It's extremely annoying.

No I have not, very familiar with GOT so looking forward to seeing how it works. I didn't see anything overly annoying on the streams so far.

Quoted from tmontana:

Also in MET and Tron (Ac/DC, Kiss, and even TWD), you don't have a shot or skill shot that is worth billions.

Strategy holmes...it's in every game

1 week later
#658 6 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I think you mean worst. In fact, I'd argue that it is strongly the worst light show ever created. Having over head flashers strobing causing a seizure like effect is not a good light show. The stock game is completely unplayable in the dark. It's absolutely horrible

haha damn a throwback post!

7 months later
#664 6 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

I want so bad to like the game but lord, why does it have to be so darn hard to understand. ...

It isn't, you're just no goo.....well you just haven't taken the time to learn it. It's actually very simple. I'll talk you through it
BASICS
Each area has 4 modes in it. To light the modes shoot the matching color insert & area. IE left ramp is Endor, scoop is Tatioone etc.
This lights the modes for each area. Completing the 3 modes unlocks up the 4th mode, which is a multiball.
If you have more than 1 area unlocked you can do 2 modes at the same time from 2 diff'rent areas. Each shot needed to complete modes will be lit in the color of the area, green for hoth orange for tatooine etc. <--- this might be turned off, and you can only do one at a time...even eaiser!

There is also MBs for destroying Tie Fighters. This is a running tally you can look at anytime in the instant info.

There, that wasn't hard was it?

Did you really learn everything aboot IJ or CFTBL in 30 plays? Probably not. The shots you need are all color coded.

#665 6 years ago

Multipliers.

You can completely ignore these if you'd like whilst learning...they only affect score.

EVERY TIME you hit the 3 bank your multiplier increases. The green X arrows indicate which shots points will be multiplied with the multiplier #. The higher the multiplier gets, the fewer shots are green. You can move them around by hitting the action button and hitting flipper button (they will turn red meaning they are not active) & then using the action button again to turn them on; making them green.
If you don't hit the 3 bank after a period of time, the multiplier falls back to 2. the beeping sound you hear a lot is your multilier running out...the Green X inserts will be blinking also.

#667 6 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

Thanks thelaw I shall put this into practice on my next attempt! I just wanted to get into Multiball and could not figure it out for the life of me. So the "X" inserts when lit are multipliers cool that help.

2 ways to MB
1. Get the the 4th level of any area.
You'll notice which character you choose has a diff'rent number of missions you DON'T have to complete in an area. So if you pick someone that has both missions 1 & 2 completed in an area, you'll only have to complete the 3rd in irde to light MB.Of course the mission go from easy to hard with the numbers. Make sure to READ the screen before the mode starts for instructions....buuuut the colored lights will always be lit also.

2. Tie Fighters
Tie fighters are lit on 3 bank and a running kill meter is in play. So every once in awhile the tie fighter will be lit and flashing telling you to hit it. When you do, everytime you hit the action button you 1 tie fighter...I believe the first Tie Fighter MB is are 35 destroyed. You can also choose "destroy 5 tie fighters at launch of your ball to help.

#668 6 years ago

You can't master it in a day. Learn the basics and then move to the next thing.
Overall there's a lot of stuff going on for sure, that's what makes it fun. Good luck.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Carl Junction, MO
$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 250.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 4,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thelaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-wars-a-negative-review?tu=thelaw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.