SQ_box (resized).jpg
IMG_1219 (resized).JPG
storm-trooper (resized).jpg
ikea (resized).jpg
1trvek (resized).jpg
IMG_2380 (resized).JPG
Boob 3rd grade (resized).jpg
IMG_2426 (resized).PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider badbilly27.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#355 6 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Then choosing Ritchie for this theme wasn't the best decision. I may be in the minority, but he's not even Stern's best designer IMO.
With arguably the #1 license in pinball, they should have teamed Borg & Lyman on SW & let them come up with another all-time classic.

I was thinking the same thing but afraid to type it in fear of backlash. Worth the bump, well put.

#356 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

When I was up at Pintastic, I was lingering around SW talking to various people in between games I was putting on it, and casual players and "non-pinball people" that were playing were definitely struggling with the tasks and rule set, and it was turning them off to the game a little. Not a huge deal for us "players", but for operators putting one on location, to me that means some casual patrons will not like the game enough to keep pumping quarters into it.

I watched Jack Danger playing SW Pro at Comicon streaming live (I really wanted to see SW in action). Jack, who I would consider a advanced player, had no clue what he was shooting for. He asked during the stream to viewers, does anyone know what I should be shooting for? I think Dwight was standing by him and tried to point out a few things. I actually posted a comment on the live stream "If you don't know what to shoot for how the hell will an average player like myself", to which Jack commented "That's why I'm doing this, to help figure it out for you guys". Doh

I get Jack is in Sterns back pocket - it's his chosen profession. All good. But a game shouldn't be that complicated to figure out for the casual or average player. Deep code is good for pin enthusiasts and home collectors, but you need to balance it off. Stern is missing this point.

#371 6 years ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

This just isn't accurate at all.

I respect your opinion, but it's an accurate statement. Watch the Jack Danger video if it's still up. He was trying to figure out how in the hell do you start certain modes listed on the playfield. Some things were lit up to shoot at, sure, but he was trying to advance the game and was struggling how to activate and what to shoot for. So was everyone else on the the stream. So I wasn't alone in this observation.

Quoted from smassa:

GoT is not that confusing to play if you put 10-20 games on it.

It's ok to call me stupid, but I agree with Rarehero on this one. I've played GOT more than 20 times and have a friend who owns one walk me through. I still can't walk up to it on my own and understand the damn thing. Yup, I'm stupid I guess. That's a game I REALLY wanted to like. Sadly, just don't get it.

Quoted from Apollyon:

By this logic, ACDC is way more than outright confusing as nothing is spelled out for you on the playfield or DMD.

Respectfully disagree. I own an AC/DC and for the average player it lights up and calls out shots very specifically. Easy to understand, start a song, song has specific shots lit up, etc. Now, I still don't know backstage pass and all the advanced goodies in the code Lyman programmed. But you know what? That's ok. It's a beautiful blend of code that works for someone just walking up to it and for the advanced players that know more and can go very deep. Maybe SW will gain that balance in code over time. I'm rooting for it to.

#378 6 years ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

I appreciate your response. We can agree to disagree I guess. I really don't find SW hard to get what to shoot for. Seems quite intuitive. And the display gives a lot of advice.
If I remember correctly there is one part where Jack didn't know what to hit. I think it's the mode where there are not coloured lit shots. You have to hit either the tie fighter stand ups which are lit or the force targets. For these two parts of those modes I agree it's not clear what to shoot for.
At the end of the day, not all games are for everyone. I can respect that.

Appreciate your response as well. Good points. I'm still hopeful SW code will evolve and become AC/DC-ish. But for those who love it now, I'm happy for them. It's all about enjoying the game.

#439 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

I think the problem with SW and this is just speculation from my own personal opinion, is its a theme that I expected would have a loaded playfield, with so many iconic things from SW, I was hoping for a playfield as loaded as GB with AT-AT with a spinning T-47 Snowspeeder (like the munchkinland in WOZ with the spinning house), Sarlacc Pit or Carbonite chamber with multiball scoop (like the one used in TF, Hans Carbonite is an iconic scene).
I would have loved some stuff in the code that was more SW, meeting Vader for the first time as Obi-Wan, come the end of the mode flippers go dead so you can be "striked down" and come back more powerful than.... you get the point, but a 5x playfield multiplyer upon ball being returned would just feel star wars and be cool. Would have also been cool to see the Hyperspace loop hold balls behind the backboard and have a really tense trench run mode, and that final shot/scene requires you to hit the lockbar action button to fire a locked ball around the loop and into the death star in sequence with the scene played from the movie and have the Death Star blow up in another mode.

I think you hit part of the nail on the head. So much that could have been done.

* Han in Carbonite - A target could have been lit up during parts of the game that if you hit the target (think TOTAN magnet) grabs your ball, displays Han being frozen, and pulls it into the play field and you actually lose the ball (-1 think Galaga). Later in the game as you progress you can save Han and get the ball back.

*Love your idea on dead flippers as Obi Wan.

* Imperial Walker raising up out of play field to bash while all lights turn white/blue for Hoth mode.

* Magnet like Dracula to move the ball across play field jedi training mode.

* Magnet like Addams Family under play field when multi ball battle with Dark Vader (Return of the Jedi final battle, using the force to throw things)

* Light saber duel (side rails illuminate in mode - think ST) where you need to hit specific left/right ramp to strike opponent and cause damage (ramps light up)

* Slave Lea mode - just because you can! That's why you have a color LCD - for slave lea mode! Hit left button, right button, right button, etc to enter mode. It must have a Slave Lea mode. Childhood fantasy in color LCD!

#485 6 years ago
Quoted from Xerico:

I loved your post, but I was very tempted to give you a thumbs down for calling him "Dark" Vader.

LOL. That had to be my damn auto spell check on my mac. Now if I spelled Yada wrong, I should be slapped.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
€ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects
Sound/Speakers
$ 20.00
Electronics
Gameroom Mods
Electronics
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 9.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball
Decals
$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Other
$ 52.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Machine - For Sale
Carl Junction, MO
$ 5.00
Lighting - Backbox
Gameroom Mods
Backbox
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Space Coast Pinball
Sound/Speakers
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 250.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades
Toys/Add-ons
5,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bay Shore, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com
Shooter rods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider badbilly27.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-wars-a-negative-review?tu=badbilly27 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.