SQ_box (resized).jpg
IMG_1219 (resized).JPG
storm-trooper (resized).jpg
ikea (resized).jpg
1trvek (resized).jpg
IMG_2380 (resized).JPG
Boob 3rd grade (resized).jpg
IMG_2426 (resized).PNG
There are 674 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 14.
#51 6 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

The problem is the echo chamber for hate/complaining is much bigger then the praise one. IMO its not because of the number of people on either side, people just like to complain more then praise about stuff. If you receive really good service somewhere how likely are you to go write a review of a place on yelp, facebook, ect, ect vs if you received really really bad service?
I see the same people crap in every thread relating to a game that they don't like (this isn't just SW related), however I see many different people say good things about a game, however they don't post in every single thread related to the game. They normally post it once and be done with it, so it becomes much harder to get an honest number of people happy vs unhappy.

Well look at the dialed in thread and see all positive reviews and then look at the SW threads and see all the negative reviews.

It's pretty clear SW is considered a swing and a miss by most of pinside while di is a home run.

#52 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I agree with ice you can have people hate it because it doesn't meet their middle aged masturbatory ideas they had in their theme whore mind.

I have no idea what this means but I laughed my ass off when reading it.

#53 6 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

I have no idea what this means but I laughed my ass off when reading it.

Drink a 12 pack and it all makes sense

#54 6 years ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

Drink a 12 pack and it all makes sense

Lol. Yeah that helps sometimes but then the next day I need to figure out what I was trying to say in my own posts. So then it's another 12 pack....

#55 6 years ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

Well look at the dialed in thread and see all positive reviews and then look at the SW threads and see all the negative reviews.
It's pretty clear SW is considered a swing and a miss by most of pinside while di is a home run.

Guess you didn't see the DI reveal at Expo. It's amazing how quickly opinions change around here in a year. GOT was creamed by people here on the reveal. Now it's considered a great game by many of the top players.

Let's all just take a Xanax and see how the game develops. As for me, I'm staying in on my LE order, regardless of everybody else's opinion.

#56 6 years ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with Star Wars' gameplay. It's a frigging great game. The pro model is worth every penny ... especially if you're routing it. Most of the issues are with the pricetag and features when you're paying premium and LE money. That's where Star Wars is falling short (in my opinion).

I wouldn't call either game a swing and a miss ... they're both great ... especially if you are a Ritchie or Lawlor fan ... each game instantly reminds you of what you love about their designs .

#57 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Guess you didn't see the DI reveal at Expo. It's amazing how quickly opinions change around here in a year. GOT was creamed by people here on the reveal. Now it's considered a great game by many of the top players.
Let's all just take a Xanax and see how the game develops. As for me, I'm staying in on my LE order, regardless of everybody else's opinion.

Well said! Me too. We are in and staying in for our LE.

#58 6 years ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

While I am a big fan of DI, I don't think SW is a total dog. That said, my problem with it is more about what wasn't or could have been done with the theme than what was. From the lunch box art work to the empty playfield, there seems to be very little pride and effort put forth to elevate the game given the theme.

I'm a huge Star Wars fan as any but I don't just lap up every product tied into the movies. Such a missed opportunity for greatness.

#59 6 years ago

Tough room.. I probably would never have purchased anything if I came to this site before I decided to buy anything. I got an LE on the way and got to play a pro at my distributors and thought it was a great game.

#60 6 years ago
Quoted from megadeth2600:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with Star Wars' gameplay. It's a frigging great game. The pro model is worth every penny ... especially if you're routing it. Most of the issues are with the pricetag and features when you're paying premium and LE money. That's where Star Wars is falling short (in my opinion).
I wouldn't call either game a swing and a miss ... they're both great ... especially if you are a Ritchie or Lawlor fan ... each game instantly reminds you of what you love about their designs .

I liked star wars but I was saying "most" of pinside. Just regurgitating what I've seen between all the posts and polls. Its clearly falling short of people's expectations but then again SW probably had some of the highest expectations for a pin.

Quoted from beelzeboob:

I did see the reveal. It was done poorly by jjp and it was a non licensed theme too so it's a little different that star wars. People hated it because of the 'phone' theme. SW had pretty good initial reaction when the gameplay video came out but then seemed to lose to dialed in once people got to play both.

#61 6 years ago
Quoted from Spankey:

While I am a big fan of DI, I don't think SW is a total dog. That said, my problem with it is more about what wasn't or could have been done with the theme than what was. From the lunch box art work to the empty playfield, there seems to be very little pride and effort put forth to elevate the game given the theme.
I'm a huge Star Wars fan as any but I don't just lap up every product tied into the movies. Such a missed opportunity for greatness.

Again, I'm not saying it's bad just that it could have been alot better. (I said a most of pinside too)I still want to play it more and will consider buying when it actually gets finalized.

#62 6 years ago

Rules are of course important and so is theme, but I would imagine that I'm not the only pinhead in the world who believes that the most important thing in pinball is that when you shoot, cool physical shit happens. This is where Star Wars left me cold and empty.

#63 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I agree with ice you can have people hate it because it doesn't meet their middle aged masturbatory ideas they had in their theme whore mind.

Wow best pinside sentence ever! Hilarious!

#64 6 years ago

One of the nice things about being a dealer is that you can play pinballs one after the next and get a feel for the game. I honestly enjoy the Star Wars pinball. I am of the generation that Star Wars was/is aimed at. I think that helps someone's enjoyment. It seems like there are some folks that just don't like Stern. Luckily for them there are some choices in todays market. Being a Star Wars fan makes it so much fun to blow up the death star (LE version). I would not judge the pinball with written reviews. In todays pinball world I think you need to play the unit and make up your own mind. More and more we have people coming into our showroom to play the pinballs to aid in their decisions. We are getting more and more like the auto industry. Lots of choices and lots of different tastes. To be honest, I have been doing this for a very long time , and I think this is a wonderful era for our hobby.

#65 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

"I always imagined an AT-AT would be there wouldn't that be cool?

AT-AT on an upper playfield a little like the Munchkinland on WoZ would have been cool.

Have a snow speeder model able to spin around the AT-AT upon switch hits during Hoth modes, would have used the upper right of the playfield better than the two pops.

#66 6 years ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

I did see the reveal. It was done poorly by jjp and it was a non licensed theme too so it's a little different that star wars. People hated it because of the 'phone' theme. SW had pretty good initial reaction when the gameplay video came out but then seemed to lose to dialed in once people got to play both.

The Star Wars reveal was about as bad as it gets as well. Yes, it's undercooked. But what's missing? Just a bunch of toys that modders like me can put in there to spice it up. (EDIT: And some playfield magnets, I'll give you that.)Take all the toys out of LOTR and what do you have? You still have a great game. You can order all the flashy shit from Amazon, throw some LEDs in the toys, and BAM! you have a packed playfield. (Many mod companies are already working on this, btw.)

Fun is the primary concern for me with any game, and when I had the chance to play the game with the volume jacked in a quiet room, it was a friggin' blast. People should stop focusing on what their expectations were and look at the fun game we got, which will only get better with code updates.

#67 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

The Star Wars reveal was about as bad as it gets as well. Yes, it's undercooked. But what's missing? Just a bunch of toys that modders like me can put in there to spice it up. (EDIT: And some playfield magnets, I'll give you that.)Take all the toys out of LOTR and what do you have? You still have a great game. You can order all the flashy shit from Amazon, throw some LEDs in the toys, and BAM! you have a packed playfield. (Many mod companies are already working on this, btw.)
Fun is the primary concern for me with any game, and when I had the chance to play the game with the volume jacked in a quiet room, it was a friggin' blast. People should stop focusing on what their expectations were and look at the fun game we got, which will only get better with code updates.

Ya reveal was bad, that's why I said the live stream. It seemed to turn a lot of people around but for some reason people seem to be down in the game since then. I was just referring to the trajectory of each game. SW was down up down and di is down then up. I don't even know if I'm makeimg sense anymore. I probably drank what Law was drinking

#68 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

The Star Wars reveal was about as bad as it gets as well. Yes, it's undercooked. But what's missing?

An extra flipper? A magnet or two? Maybe a diverter? I like Steve Ritchie games and loved my acdc pro. But I feel SW was the wrong theme to use this layout on. It works on acdc but SW could probably have been one of those pins with a little more Adventure to it. Again, I will probably buy a pro used at some point because it's still fun.

#69 6 years ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

An extra flipper? A magnet or two? Maybe a diverter? I like Steve Ritchie games and loved my acdc pro. But I feel SW was the wrong theme to use this layout on. It works on acdc but SW could probably have been one of those pins with a little more Adventure to it. Again, I will probably buy a pro used at some point because it's still fun.

Well, to be fair, the premium/LE has four magnets in the hyperspace loop and a jump ramp (a kind of diverter)...and the shooter lane gate which also fits the definition of a diverter. If the death star explosion is done well, that'll be a pretty cool toy as well. When you think of a game like Tron, that's a pretty open playfield with only one feature: the spinning disc behind the motorized drop target bank. But that game is still awesome as well.

#70 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

When you think of a game like Tron, that's a pretty open playfield with only one feature: the spinning disc behind the motorized drop target bank. But that game is still awesome as well.

because great rules, great feel, Lawlor lay...er Borg layout.

#71 6 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

I'm not surprised the OP doesn't like SW. None of his earlier recommendations made it into the pin:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-star-wars

Lol! Forgot about that one!!!!

#72 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Well, to be fair, the premium/LE has four magnets in the hyperspace loop and a jump ramp (a kind of diverter)...and the shooter lane gate which also fits the definition of a diverter. If the death star explosion is done well, that'll be a pretty cool toy as well. When you think of a game like Tron, that's a pretty open playfield with only one feature: the spinning disc behind the motorized drop target bank. But that game is still awesome as well.

Ya true. that reminds me... Any le videos? Can't wait to see those.

#73 6 years ago

You guys crack me up. Bashing on a new game with beta code like it's the worst thing ever.

#74 6 years ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

Ya true. that reminds me... Any le videos? Can't wait to see those.

There was one from Freddy's in Germany, but it's just been taken down.

#75 6 years ago

Im a Stern fanboy.....and Im out on this one. People can say expectations ran too high for this theme, but fak...this game is stripped. The Tie Fighter on a spring reminds me of a car antenna whipping around. Too me, BM66 and SW are both cash grabs. With Stern moving to the LCD screen, I feel like we are penalized with more generic layouts. I look forward to buying more Stern NIBs...but not if they continue down this path.

#76 6 years ago

As I suspected, people who bought it are gonna come here and defend it. As a guy that's getting back into the hobby, I can look objectively at games I want and games I don't. I'm getting a Metallica because it looked awesome, and after playing it a lot in a barcade, I can't get enough of it. Meanwhile, I was super duper hyped to play Star Wars, but after watching videos of it (and seeing that god forsaken shit artwork), I couldn't care less. I'm proud of OP for posting this and sharing his thoughts. I feel people don't do it here enough, as there is a mob mentality at work here. God forbid you have an unfavorable opinion about something.

Quoted from Stones:

Im a Stern fanboy.....and Im out on this one. People can say expectations ran too high for this theme, but fak...this game is stripped. The Tie Fighter on a spring reminds me of a car antenna whipping around. Too me, BM66 and SW are both cash grabs. With Stern moving to the LCD screen, I feel like we are penalized with more generic layouts. I look forward to buying more Stern NIBs...but not if they continue down this path.

Me too. When I collected before, I made fun of Stern for having different feeling flippers than that of a Williams/Bally. I thought they were crappy in comparison. Now, I am collecting almost all Stern. I only care about the new Stern games. I'm a FAN. I think Aerosmith is really awesome (damn shame Steven Tyler doesn't do any callout in the game). The last few years have seen some AMAZING games by them. But Star Wars is dreck.

#77 6 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

You guys crack me up. Bashing on a new game with beta code like it's the worst thing ever.

No, the worst thing ever is you changing the clearcoat formula of your avatar! Change that back!

#78 6 years ago

Played the crap out of the pro at CAX. Fun game but going a second round with IM for now.
I'll try the PREM, I just didn't have patience for the choose your own adventure LCD.
It made my mind hurt, could have been the beverages.

#79 6 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

Quoted from Doctor6:

As I suspected, people who bought it are gonna come here and defend it. As a guy that's getting back into the hobby, I can look objectively at games I want and games I don't. I'm getting a Metallica because it looked awesome, and after playing it a lot in a barcade, I can't get enough of it. Meanwhile, I was super duper hyped to play Star Wars, but after watching videos of it (and seeing that god forsaken shit artwork), I couldn't care less. I'm proud of OP for posting this and sharing his thoughts. I feel people don't do it here enough, as there is a mob mentality at work here. God forbid you have an unfavorable opinion about something.

Me too. When I collected before, I made fun of Stern for having different feeling flippers than that of a Williams/Bally. I thought they were crappy in comparison. Now, I am collecting almost all Stern. I only care about the new Stern games. I'm a FAN. I think Aerosmith is really awesome (damn shame Steven Tyler doesn't do any callout in the game). The last few years have seen some AMAZING games by them. But Star Wars is dreck.

Quoted from Deez:

Code isn't gonna change the playfield layout and that shit artwork and uninspired Steve Ritchie "you've played one, you've played them all" feel. He used to by my favorite designer, but my god does he make the same feeling game over and over and over. If you own one, that's all you need to own from him. Unlike Borg where he does pretty unique things in every machine he's made.

#80 6 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

they should have teamed Borg & Lyman

Borg already had his chance.

Trudeau or Gomez would likely have incorporated more "magic" and probably been more theme-appropriate.

Still, Ritchie games appeal to me on a very visceral level, and for me at least that sort of fast-flowing, high energy experience would likely trump any amount of gizmos that the other guys could incorporate.

#81 6 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Then choosing Ritchie for this theme wasn't the best decision. I may be in the minority, but he's not even Stern's best designer IMO.

*Flame suit on* I may be in the minority as well, but Steve isn't even the best designer in his family.

#82 6 years ago

Dear Stern, please ditch the whole Le pre-order crap. Just make Premiums (with upgradeable options) and Pros. Produce one of each for your distributors and let people play the game and decide for themselves if they like it or not.

Social media (i.e. Pinside), Sterns new anti-customer policy, and this LE pre-order model is creating a hyper sensitive customer looking for any indication they are going to be caught with a dud. Once a few negative reviews get out, it's potentially a mad rush for the exit.

#83 6 years ago

I'm tapped out and out of space, but I played a lot of SW at Pinburgh and I really liked it. I actually have zero interest in the theme, since Star Wars has been marketed to me in every conceivable way for the last 40 years. But I thought it was a very solid layout, lots of fun to shoot, and the 2nd display is cool. I think a lot of people are going to be eating crow on this one.

#84 6 years ago

I'm enjoying mine like crazy. Totally get why it doesn't click for some. CQ aside I think it's a fantastic game and the pro has a great value for what you get compared to the other models. Still a bit jelly over the hyper loop thing but I'll live

#85 6 years ago

I plan on playing a Pro tomorrow if everything plans out... however, we now have FOUR pins based off the original trilogy. Not saying that's a bad thing, but it's not a good thing either.

#86 6 years ago
Quoted from Spankey:

From the lunch box art work to the empty playfield, there seems to be very little pride and effort put forth to elevate the game given the theme.

The problem is, being a Disney property, they may not have had much control over this at all. It is what it is.

I think people will warm up to this game over time the more they play it.

#87 6 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

As I suspected, people who bought it are gonna come here and defend it.

Not me. I had bought Hobbit twice and backed out because I hated the gameplay. When I first played SW, I was disappointed, but after playing it in more of a home setting, I loved it. I'd be honest even though I have money on the line. And I don't think the artwork sucks. Not the best, but it's not nearly as bad as the GOT playfield (which I also own).

#88 6 years ago

Pro model is for operators trying to survive and make a little money. I applaud Stern and their business model. The average no-nothing patron to ABC Pizza doesn't care and will spend $2-$6 and forget about it. At the end of the day these are business machines and not Pinball Fan Boy machines.

#89 6 years ago

I don't necessarily hate or love the artwork. It's ok, and I'm not offended by it. I think the biggest problem with SW is the thought of what it should have been. Look back at all the SW rumor threads and ideas. Everybody had great ideas for toys and gimmicks. The SW universe is so big, there was unlimited possibilities for a cool playfield. Not once was a bobblehead tie fighter or exploding egg death star mentioned as a great idea in those threads. I get so tired of hearing about flow and speed. Those things are fine on some games, but doesn't fit SW. I was even thinking the hyper loop would be cool at least, but now it sounds like it doesn't even act as a ball lock. I'm not saying the game can't still be fun, but the shots look like they will get boring fast. Again, the biggest problem with SW is what should have been.

#90 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I get so tired of hearing about flow and speed. Those things are fine on some games,

When people only talk about flow and speed, it means there's nothing else to talk about.

#91 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Not me. I had bought Hobbit twice and backed out because I hated the gameplay. When I first played SW, I was disappointed, but after playing it in more of a home setting, I loved it. I'd be honest even though I have money on the line. And I don't think the artwork sucks. Not the best, but it's not nearly as bad as the GOT playfield (which I also own).

I think I must be about the only person that doesn't think that the GOT playfield is ugly. I don't like the artwork on the cab and back glass very much but I think the playfield looks pretty good.

As far as Star Wars goes I don't think it looks that bad at all. I think people have been spoiled by pins like MET, GB, and AS and they want the hand drawn art now. Can't say that I blame them I guess.

#92 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I think I must be about the only person that doesn't think that the GOT playfield is ugly. I don't like the artwork on the cab and back glass very much but I think the playfield looks pretty good.
As far as Star Wars goes I don't think it looks that bad at all. I think people have been spoiled by pins like MET, GB, and AS and they want the hand drawn art now. Can't say that I blame them I guess.

You aren't alone...I think the GoT playfield is beautiful. I honestly cannot figure out the hate on that one. Cab and translite could be better, but are also not nearly as bad as people make them out to be.

SW is a very nice looking machine all around. I think you are right that Metallica, GB, and Aerosmith have spoiled people. Pictures do not do SW justice, but in person it looks great.

#93 6 years ago

I'm the opposite of you two. LOVE my LE cabinet and backglass. Playfield is meh...until you fire it up and see it with the lights. Then I think it's gorgeous. But by itself?

#94 6 years ago
Quoted from kporter946286:

Pro model is for operators trying to survive and make a little money. I applaud Stern and their business model. The average no-nothing patron to ABC Pizza doesn't care and will spend $2-$6 and forget about it. At the end of the day these are business machines and not Pinball Fan Boy machines.

Wtf are you talking about?

ST, Tron, MET, Acdc, AS, IM, GB, TWD, GOT, Kiss and Xmen pro models all play very well and keep non pinheads and pinheads happy. SW will play well also. p

What is up with all the anger with folks lately?

#95 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'm the opposite of you two. LOVE my LE cabinet and backglass. Playfield is meh...until you fire it up and see it with the lights. Then I think it's gorgeous. But by itself?

GOT has one of the best light shows in pinball!

#96 6 years ago

I'll never judge a game again until after the initial code is updated. I've made that mistake a few times.

#97 6 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

What is up with all the anger with folks lately?

Its the thing to do around here.

#98 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I can respect that. Different opinions make the world go round. GoT LE cabinet and BG are amazing...if I had a stupid amount of money I would buy an LE, swap in the pro playfield, then sell the pro cabinet with LE playfield.

Back to SW...I can't wait to play it more. If I'm being completely honest, it just didn't grab me the way I was expecting it to. Some games I instantly fall in love with the first time I play them. I was expecting that to happen with SW and unfortunately it didn't. I had too many cheap drains and couldn't wrap my mind around the software. Now having watched some tutorial videos, the rules make a lot more sense and I can't wait to give it another shot. I'm sure the cheap drains will be minimized if I just PLAY BETTER!

#99 6 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Back to SW...I can't wait to play it more.

yeah, i think i'm going down to play a pro today to see just how 'shitty' this machine is.

#100 6 years ago

I was at CAX this past weekend and stern had about 10 Star Wars pros there. I finally got to play the game. I have to agree with a lot of the comments made. Let me or face by saying I am a major Star Wars fan, I still have in box series one characters lol. So I look for excuses to own anything Star Wars.

The game is just bland. It may get better and the premium and le may be more fun this is true.

However one thing really caught my attention on the pro. I noticed the Death Star toy, which is static in pro but Opens on the prem & le was the same!? I could see the massive seam running down the front. This was a major indicator of saving $ on manufacturing to maximize profits. And that to me in a nutshell is what this game is. It just feels cheap

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
$ 250.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Carl Junction, MO
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Cabinet - Other
Jorge’s Arcade Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 4,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

5,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 674 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-wars-a-negative-review/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.