SQ_box (resized).jpg
IMG_1219 (resized).JPG
storm-trooper (resized).jpg
ikea (resized).jpg
1trvek (resized).jpg
IMG_2380 (resized).JPG
Boob 3rd grade (resized).jpg
IMG_2426 (resized).PNG

There are 674 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 14.
#651 6 years ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

I really enjoy tspp. I'm more into lots of unique shots each with a purpose. That game uses every shot evenly and is alot of fun. If it was reskinned as star wars I could see it being more of a hit.
The star wars theme (imo) should have been more of an adventure style game than a race to me. Not saying I don't like fast and flowy games (loved my acdc pro), but the theme just doesn't match the play style. That's just me and I know there is alot of people who don't like tspp because it is to much stop and go with alot going on. Just giving my opinion. Still a fun game, just a little disappointed.

The ball actually stops quite often during Star Wars. Any time you start a mode. But overall yes, it is super fast and FUN.

#652 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

I wasn't comparing anything to MM. But you're right, that doesn't have a lot of shots.

36 here. And it's just a point, not a pissing contest. If anybody here wants to tell me that the playfield on SW looks as plentiful as this game, I would say you were looking at the eclipse too long today. And BF only has one toy, the Batwing, which is a cannon / interactive part of gameplay. This game isn't crowded with a bunch of meaningless playfield toys, it's crowded with ramps and fun pinball stuff.
And at the end of my post I said I like the game and it's growing on me. But everybody wants to focus on the negative stuff.

I agree it's not a pissing match. I can have an opinion here though since I owned BF for a few years and while it's a widebody loaded up (poor man's STTNG) it left my collection because while it is a good game, it is not a great game which helps make the point that it is not all about shot count. Of course, if you think BF is a great game it is indeed a matter of opinion.

#653 6 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Yeah, I'm not getting that comment either.
Left loop. Left inner orbit/Death Star shot. Right inner orbit/Hoth shot. Left ramp/Endor shot. Right ramp.
Right orbit. Right scoop (Tatooine) shot.
Force target bank. Tie fighter. 3 bank LCD.
Pretty sure that's all of them? So 7 shots not including drop targets, tie fighter, lcd, or the little stand up targets.

Pinside doesn't care about shot count. AC/DC has 5 shots! Yes, 5. It's still highly regarded and loved. SW is a fun game and Dwight is doing some nice rules with some neat ideas. It's hard to not feel disappointment though with the theme. It's kind of a problem with fanboy themes...mega-hard to do it justice. Too many expectations. Might have been better with a toy-heavy Borg game with the theme. Eh, like it for what it is. Another standard Ritchie fan flowfest.

#654 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Pinside doesn't care about shot count. AC/DC has 5 shots! Yes, 5. It's still highly regarded and loved. SW is a fun game and Dwight is doing some nice rules with some neat ideas. It's hard to not feel disappointment though with the theme. It's kind of a problem with fanboy themes...mega-hard to do it justice. Too many expectations. Might have been better with a toy-heavy Borg game with the theme. Eh, like it for what it is. Another standard Ritchie fan flowfest.

Nobody outside of Pinside loves AC/DC? lol

I know it is highly regarded by many tournament players who are not even on pinside. Look at how many shots Avengers has. How well is that game reguarded

#655 6 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Nobody outside of Pinside loves AC/DC? lol
I know it is highly regarded by many tournament players who are not even on pinside. Look at how many shots Avengers has. How well is that game reguarded

Well, how about people in general don't care about shot count. You and I are in agreement.

#656 6 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

How well is that game reguarded

More like, "How well is that game set up?" lol

Just like GB, If you don't take the time to set up a pin to make it play as good as it possibly can, (without hacking/neutering it! ) you are most likely going to be disappointed with the gameplay enough to not bother trying to see what else (code-wise) the machine has to offer.
SW thankfully has some great flowing shots going for it (sorry GB...) so the masses are more inclined to give Dwight's "trig-code-nometry", a chance to actually sink in.
Plus,
.89 is actually a really hearty portion compared to other games *cough* B66' *cough* that are stuck in the same pre 1.0 boat.

I'm not going to lie, I was pretty disappointed when I first opened my pro and played .85 for the first time with the stock setup.

Three weeks have now passed.
A few tweaks here and there, some pitch adjustments and this new .89 code, SW is finally getting some good love here.

How long it all lasts though, is up to Dwight and Dwight alone.

Steve's shots and PF layout for SW are solid.

#657 6 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

Respect you totally...but Star Wars, for me, is adrenaline...I think Stern got this right. I will admit that I haven't played it yet, but have a premium coming. TSPP is a blast to play, and someday I hope to own one, but Star Wars for me is not slow, and strategic, it's balls-to-the-walls! "You're all clear kid. Now let's blow this thing and go home." BOOM!!!

I get what your saying. But it's tough to enjoy the action and scenes from the show when you don't have a chance to live in the moment of each scene. Just my opinion

#658 6 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I think you mean worst. In fact, I'd argue that it is strongly the worst light show ever created. Having over head flashers strobing causing a seizure like effect is not a good light show. The stock game is completely unplayable in the dark. It's absolutely horrible

haha damn a throwback post!

1 week later
#659 6 years ago

I really like my GB premium. Now I got an eye on the SW premium. Will be going to the beach to play the sw pro soon. It seems like there is a lot of disappointing reviews. I knew I wanted GB with all the stuff going into it like magnets and hallogams. But this sw prmium all I keep falling back on is that Death Star, I can't wait to play it to figure out what to do. I feel like the forums are really split on this unit.

#660 6 years ago
Quoted from Bing_Party:

I really like my GB premium. Now I got an eye on the SW premium. Will be going to the beach to play the sw pro soon. It seems like there is a lot of disappointing reviews. I knew I wanted GB with all the stuff going into it like magnets and hallogams. But this sw prmium all I keep falling back on is that Death Star, I can't wait to play it to figure out what to do. I feel like the forums are really split on this unit.

I'll be really interested in how it compares to GB. I'm currently debating on either GB premium or SW premium as my next purchase.

#661 6 years ago

I just got SW premium today and have had my GB premium since the beginning.

SW seems to be a great game. It's fast it's smooth and it's SW. The playfield doesn't feel bare at all when you play there is just so much going on. It's a hard game too. It's not linear at all. Play and do almost whatever you want in whatever order. It has a beautiful screen, lightshow, etc modes are fun and a little different from normal. The bonuses and hurry ups add so much to the game.

GB is a great game. It's got lots on the playfield and the modes tie in with the movies great and in order. The game is hard. It's hard to get a multiball, it's hard to start modes, you will play the bottom modes of the ladder way more than the top modes. Only way to see those is complete the bottom modes. It has a dmd. The magna slings are awesome for us but others hate them.

SW feels like there is more to the game but it is newer for me (played a pro a bunch too). If I had to choose between the two I'd keep/get the SW. It plays better. GB is a lot of fun but can feel like you are getting a beat down sometimes. They both look great and have lots going on but SW feels like a much newer game with the screen. BTW. AS is a hell of a game too even if you're not a huge Aerosmith fan...

#662 6 years ago

Agree with the OP here, at least in my first plays of the game. Had about an hour with it the other day, and while I enjoyed the theme immensely and the backbox screen is nice to look at, I wasn't impressed with the code, or many of the features. Maybe I was expecting too much?

I'll definitely go back to it and play it some more, but so far it's just an ok pin. However, I think it comes down to me just not liking Dwight's rules on his latest games.

6 months later
#663 5 years ago

SO we have a Star Wars Pro at work. I have probably played the game about 30 times. It's amazing how I am still constantly confused on what to do, at any given point. The playfield with multiple stacked inserts per shot + Mini screen + large backbox screen is SERIOUS cognitive overload.

I want so bad to like the game but lord, why does it have to be so darn hard to understand. Some of the shots are actually quite nice, but overall the game just feels so stressful the entire time as I am constantly looking for clues as to what to shoot. Major bummer as this game had so much potential. I have not played a prem or LE, maybe those are better... Really makes me respect games that help you understand and teach you as you play it rather than requiring you to read a novel in order to play it.

#664 5 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

I want so bad to like the game but lord, why does it have to be so darn hard to understand. ...

It isn't, you're just no goo.....well you just haven't taken the time to learn it. It's actually very simple. I'll talk you through it
BASICS
Each area has 4 modes in it. To light the modes shoot the matching color insert & area. IE left ramp is Endor, scoop is Tatioone etc.
This lights the modes for each area. Completing the 3 modes unlocks up the 4th mode, which is a multiball.
If you have more than 1 area unlocked you can do 2 modes at the same time from 2 diff'rent areas. Each shot needed to complete modes will be lit in the color of the area, green for hoth orange for tatooine etc. <--- this might be turned off, and you can only do one at a time...even eaiser!

There is also MBs for destroying Tie Fighters. This is a running tally you can look at anytime in the instant info.

There, that wasn't hard was it?

Did you really learn everything aboot IJ or CFTBL in 30 plays? Probably not. The shots you need are all color coded.

#665 5 years ago

Multipliers.

You can completely ignore these if you'd like whilst learning...they only affect score.

EVERY TIME you hit the 3 bank your multiplier increases. The green X arrows indicate which shots points will be multiplied with the multiplier #. The higher the multiplier gets, the fewer shots are green. You can move them around by hitting the action button and hitting flipper button (they will turn red meaning they are not active) & then using the action button again to turn them on; making them green.
If you don't hit the 3 bank after a period of time, the multiplier falls back to 2. the beeping sound you hear a lot is your multilier running out...the Green X inserts will be blinking also.

#666 5 years ago

Thanks TheLaw I shall put this into practice on my next attempt! I just wanted to get into Multiball and could not figure it out for the life of me. So the "X" inserts when lit are multipliers cool that help.

#667 5 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

Thanks thelaw I shall put this into practice on my next attempt! I just wanted to get into Multiball and could not figure it out for the life of me. So the "X" inserts when lit are multipliers cool that help.

2 ways to MB
1. Get the the 4th level of any area.
You'll notice which character you choose has a diff'rent number of missions you DON'T have to complete in an area. So if you pick someone that has both missions 1 & 2 completed in an area, you'll only have to complete the 3rd in irde to light MB.Of course the mission go from easy to hard with the numbers. Make sure to READ the screen before the mode starts for instructions....buuuut the colored lights will always be lit also.

2. Tie Fighters
Tie fighters are lit on 3 bank and a running kill meter is in play. So every once in awhile the tie fighter will be lit and flashing telling you to hit it. When you do, everytime you hit the action button you 1 tie fighter...I believe the first Tie Fighter MB is are 35 destroyed. You can also choose "destroy 5 tie fighters at launch of your ball to help.

#668 5 years ago

You can't master it in a day. Learn the basics and then move to the next thing.
Overall there's a lot of stuff going on for sure, that's what makes it fun. Good luck.

#669 5 years ago

Don't forget Hyperspace MB. Shoot orbits to light a hurry-up at the purple Death Star shot. Shoot Death Star to collect the hurry-up. Do this all again to instantly start Hyperspace MB.

You current number of tie-fighters can always be seen as a small icon in the upper right portion of you score.

During any of the 4 planet MB's shoot the drop bank a number of times(5?) to light the add-a-ball. The button on the lockdown bar will turn orange. HOLD the button down for 1 or 2 seconds to add-a-ball. This is very important since you can use it like the Martell award on GOT or Walker Bombs on TWD premium. Wait until you drain down to one ball and HOLD down the button during the grace period to resurrect your MB.

Damn, I really like this game!

#670 5 years ago

SW is awesome!

#671 5 years ago

The bonus mutliplier and the tie fighter button mashing are annoying to micro manage and ruin the gameplay.

UNTIL.....

You figure it out... Hit a 40x multiplier on the spot you're shooting for and then do a cradle hold and mash away into TFmb

Then... You realize the true genius that is Steve Ritchie.

This game begs you to play it slow... Read the screen instruction, line up every shot.

But your adrenaline takes over and all that gets thrown out the window.

#672 5 years ago

the only negative aspect of star wars is that it makes me not play any of my other sterns.....

#673 5 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Don't forget Hyperspace MB. Shoot orbits to light a hurry-up at the purple Death Star shot. Shoot Death Star to collect the hurry-up. Do this all again to instantly start Hyperspace MB.
You current number of tie-fighters can always be seen as a small icon in the upper right portion of you score.
During any of the 4 planet MB's shoot the drop bank a number of times(5?) to light the add-a-ball. The button on the lockdown bar will turn orange. HOLD the button down for 1 or 2 seconds to add-a-ball. This is very important since you can use it like the Martell award on GOT or Walker Bombs on TWD premium. Wait until you drain down to one ball and HOLD down the button during the grace period to resurrect your MB.
Damn, I really like this game!

Chris, I'd invite you over to play my SW Premium, but I'm afraid I'd never make GC again!!!! LOL!!!

#674 5 years ago
Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

the only negative aspect of star wars is that it makes me not play any of my other sterns.....

Exactly how I feel.... this game is fun and if your a fan of the theme then it is just about perfect!

Edit - where is the topper!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bay Shore, NY
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 98.00
Lighting - Interactive
ArcadeMade
Interactive
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 250.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades
Toys/Add-ons
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
€ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple
Armor and blades
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 175.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Sound/Speakers
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com
Shooter rods
Machine - For Sale
Carl Junction, MO
5,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 5.00
Lighting - Backbox
Gameroom Mods
Backbox
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 674 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-wars-a-negative-review/page/14 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.