Topic Stats

• 674 posts
  • 168 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Psw757
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 30 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_1884 (resized).JPG
see what you did there (resized).jpg
PastedGraphic-1-1 (resized).png
Screenshot_20170814-221033 (resized).jpg
b_and_b___dorks_to_the_future_by_stabkamay-d3aivt0 (resized).png
IMG_0201 (resized).PNG
Screenshot_20170814-111345 (resized).jpg
SW_2 (resized).jpg
SQ_box (resized).jpg
IMG_1219 (resized).JPG
storm-trooper (resized).jpg
ikea (resized).jpg
1trvek (resized).jpg
IMG_2380 (resized).JPG
Boob 3rd grade (resized).jpg
IMG_2426 (resized).PNG

There are 674 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 14.
#601 1 year ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

However one complaint ..... where's Billy Dee?

About 20' away, all over your kitchen wall.

#602 1 year ago
Quoted from mittens:

No, we've actually already covered this and determined the tie fighter is now interactive.

that is correct, the gameplay encourages you to destroy the tie fighter(s).

#603 1 year ago
Quoted from Darscot:

You guys like Star Wars and that's great.

The people that don't like it still count.

When you get this type of feedback at the volume that it is coming in, it has validity.
You guys can blow it all off and say things like well play a game before 1980 or well my 7yr old can figure it out. That actually provides nothing.

It could have been much better, hopefully as the code matures they will clean it up and make it more approachable and fun for the masses.

haven't played it yet actually.

I hope you're not referring to yourself because I don't have one bad thing to say aboot you.

Saying a 7 year old understands it is probably just as valid as saying "A bunch of Pinsiders hate it." I know we take ourselves very seriously but I don't think this is the scientific group we'd like to think. Most of the "hate" I see coming is in 2 camps; monetary & dream journals. Normal people in the wild don't care aboot the price of a game vs how many "things" it has in it, so I don't really know how that turns off new customers. The other half or more wanted an At At to pop out of the middle or whatever shit they had been imagining when they curl up in their star wars sheets at night.

Maybe it could have been better, haven't had the time on it to tell, and I don't really care if the masses "get it" at all. The masses have voted and they love South Park the most and TZ the least.
I guess you are "just an average pinball joe on the street" that owns 4 machines and spends time on a pinball forum
I don't know if I can trust you to be impartial.

But whatever we're just talking aboot it no big whoop

#604 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

haven't played it yet actually.
I hope you're not referring to yourself because I don't have one bad thing to say aboot you.
Saying a 7 year old understands it is probably just as valid as saying "A bunch of Pinsiders hate it." I know we take ourselves very seriously but I don't think this is the scientific group we'd like to think. Most of the "hate" I see coming is in 2 camps; monetary & dream journals. Normal people in the wild don't care aboot the price of a game vs how many "things" it has in it, so i don;t really know how that turns of new customers. The other half or more wanted an At At to pop out of the middle or whatever shit they had been imagining when they curl up in their star wars sheets at night.
Maybe it could have been better, haven't had the time on it to tell, and I don't really care if the masses "get it" at all. The masses have voted and they love South Park the most and TZ the least.
I guess you are "just an average pinball joe on the street" that owns 4 machines and spends time on a pinball forum
I don't know if I can trust you to be impartial.
But whatever we're just talking aboot it no big whoop

I'm average in the consumer profile. I don't have any consumer loyalty to brand. I'm basically the exact age for Star Wars pinball demographic and I can afford a new pin. I'm not a huge Star Wars guy but I know the franchise and I have child hood memories about it. I should have been a very easy sell on this pin. That is the sense that I am average. If Stern did market research I am sure I would be the exact target.

I'm on this forum because I work in front of a PC and right now don't have a lot of work to do.

I have played it on two occasions, first go round I was very disappointed, I forced myself to go back again a few days later without expectations it was no better.

#605 1 year ago
Quoted from Darscot:

You guys like Star Wars and that's great. It is clear that many people have issues with it. The people that don't like it still count. When you get this type of feedback at the volume that it is coming in, it has validity.

Yeah, I think the problem is the volume the negativity is coming in on pinside is in stark contrast to standing around a SW game on location and talking to actual people, casual and devoted players and listening to them. If you don't like it fine, say "I don't like it", but don't say it is the worse game of all time and Stern screwed up. There are apparently plenty of us that do like it. Stern makes and sells plenty of games. I'm pretty sure they know what they need to do to sell a game.

If you are on pinside, you are pretty hard core. Pinball is a niche market, a pinball forum is even a niche of a niche...

Location we were at was packed with hundreds of people. It is mostly a ticket arcade, with the latest arcade games and then about a dozen pins because the owner likes them. Only about half the pins were being used at a given time (all other games way more popular), but Star Wars was being used almost constantly. I didn't hear anyone say they didn't like SW all afternoon. I heard comments like "it's hard", "it's fast", etc. Those weren't I don't like it. Also heard "it's cool", "way better than xx", "how do you play this" (looking for flipper buttons, obviously new). Especially casual players don't even know to comment on what could have been. They see Star Wars, put some money in and hit play. They immediately get the sounds, video, lights etc and smile and have fun. It may not last long, but they put more money in or walk away (usually not to play other pinball games).

As an aside, Dialed In gets lots of rave reviews here (not my favorite by far). There is one sitting directly across from Star Wars and it got two or three plays the entire time we were there. This place was packed with people and a lot of kids/adults for parties. Dialed In is actually a newer pin too so it's not just a new thing. Hobbit is there, BM 66, AS, etc. Some of those got some play, but Star Wars was by far the most popular.

I'd love to know the actual take of all the machines at this location to see how they compare. At 20 cents a game (yeah we are lucky), it's easy to see that general public doesn't play pinball much since they weren't being played much. I'd bet most people that walk through those doors barely glance at the pinball machines, let alone put money in them. They'd rather dump it in a coin pusher to get tickets.

You make and design pinball machines for pinball players and enthusiasts. The same way you make motorcycles for enthusiasts. If you made pinball for the general public no one would buy it or play it.

#606 1 year ago
Quoted from Darscot:

You guys like Star Wars and that's great. It is clear that many people have issues with it. The people that don't like it still count. When you get this type of feedback at the volume that it is coming in, it has validity. You guys can blow it all off and say things like well play a game before 1980 or well my 7yr old can figure it out. That actually provides nothing. It could have been much better, hopefully as the code matures they will clean it up and make it more approachable and fun for the masses. I'm not a hardcore player, I'm in it for fun I could care less what the guy next to me score. Right now I do not enjoy the experience. Its not about I like it so I'm right you don't like it so you are wrong.

It's cool, some games just aren't going to work for some players. Luckily for Stern they pump out several games a year so they have a chance to earn your quarters with the next title, whatever it is. I get the sense that you like the SW theme and you're bummed that they didn't design the SW game you'd hoped for, which is understandable. But hey, at least you've got a couple of other SW themed games to chose from!

My hunch is that SW will be a solid seller for Stern. While there's been a fair amount of negative reaction, it seems pretty similar to the early split of love/hate that other recent Stern titles have received. Will be interesting to see what people are saying about it in a year or two, and how it performs for operators.

#607 1 year ago
Quoted from SilverballNut:

At 20 cents a game (yeah we are lucky)

#608 1 year ago

I don't hate what Stern did with Star Wars overall, I just hate SW pro. And I would be kicking myself for jumping the gun and not waiting for the LE/premium. No need to go on about how Hyperloop does or does not do this/that.. just my opinion the force is stronger with the whole package. The posted prem video really turned me around!

#609 1 year ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Would this be negative?

that's battle damage. We used to have to buy that version of toy in addition to the non damaged version. You got a bonus alternate.

#610 1 year ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

that's battle damage.

The only thing more common in SW universe than a Tie Fighter getting it's wing blown off is someone losing a hand.
I don't even know if you can blame Stern on this one...always been a design flaw on the Tie Fighter.

#611 1 year ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

It's cool, some games just aren't going to work for some players. Luckily for Stern they pump out several games a year so they have a chance to earn your quarters with the next title, whatever it is. I get the sense that you like the SW theme and you're bummed that they didn't design the SW game you'd hoped for, which is understandable. But hey, at least you've got a couple of other SW themed games to chose from!
My hunch is that SW will be a solid seller for Stern. While there's been a fair amount of negative reaction, it seems pretty similar to the early split of love/hate that other recent Stern titles have received. Will be interesting to see what people are saying about it in a year or two, and how it performs for operators.

I was hoping for a Modern SW Theme with a nice LCD. I will give a try when the code is done and see how it is. It would have to be completely overhauled to change my mind though.

#612 1 year ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I was hoping for a Modern SW Theme...

Huh?

#613 1 year ago

Like he said if you don't like the new Stern try one of the other SW themed pins. My response is that I really wanted to get a new modern SW theme and not an old one like the DE.

#614 1 year ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Would this be negative?

Broken parts are what happens on fast-moving games. Unlike "stunning," "fantastic," games that are the "best games out there"...which you subsequently sell not even a year after posting about it:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-hobbit-has-been-out-for-a-while-how-do-owners-feel-about-it#post-3409122

I take your negativity on this game with a grain of salt...and consider the source.

#615 1 year ago

I don't have an issue with layout or toys.

Here's why this game sucks:
The stupid multiplier system that takes a flow game and forces you to trap up and move arrows in order to get a decent score. In fact this is the culmination of bad scoring system after bad scoring system. It started with GOT, then went to GB, and now this pos multiplier system.
This is why DI is a far superior game. Not toys, but code.

#616 1 year ago
Quoted from tmontana:

It started with GOT, then went to GB, and now this pos multiplier system.

They've had multipliers in games for a long time...including your Tron & Met.

#617 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Not like this though. Have you played it yet? It's extremely annoying.

#618 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Also in MET and Tron (Ac/DC, Kiss, and even TWD), you don't have a shot or skill shot that is worth billions.

I don't like playing a giant calculator where if I don't push the buttons in the perfect order I get 10% of the score I would've if I pushed them in the correct. order.

#619 1 year ago
Quoted from tmontana:

Not like this though. Have you played it yet? It's extremely annoying.

No I have not, very familiar with GOT so looking forward to seeing how it works. I didn't see anything overly annoying on the streams so far.

Quoted from tmontana:

Also in MET and Tron (Ac/DC, Kiss, and even TWD), you don't have a shot or skill shot that is worth billions.

Strategy holmes...it's in every game

#620 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

No I have not, very familiar with GOT so looking forward to seeing how it works. I didn't see anything overly annoying on the streams so far.

Strategy holmes...it's in every game

Most games have strategy. Star Wars has...

IMG_0201 (resized).PNG

#621 1 year ago
Quoted from tmontana:

I don't like playing a giant calculator where if I don't push the buttons in the perfect order I get 10% of the score I would've if I pushed them in the correct. order.

Like Ritchie says, do math better.

#622 1 year ago

Yeah, I don't care for the calculator gameplay either. Maybe it's just because I don't have the luxury of being able to play fifty games in a row like homeowners do? If I'm playing a pin on location I'm not gonna play the hectic advanced-calculus drainmonster.

#623 1 year ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Just about the only reason I gave a thumbs down to the OP is that he stated GB is more fun than SW. A kick in the nuts is more fun than playing GB, IMHO.

I did say that yes. I still like GB. I think SW is much faster yet I don't have the desire to play it for just one more game like I do GB

Also, some places charge extra for a swift kick to the Jimmy sack if you're into that sort of thing.

#624 1 year ago

b_and_b___dorks_to_the_future_by_stabkamay-d3aivt0 (resized).png

#625 1 year ago
Quoted from tmontana:

I don't have an issue with layout or toys.
Here's why this game sucks:
The stupid multiplier system that takes a flow game and forces you to trap up and move arrows in order to get a decent score. In fact this is the culmination of bad scoring system after bad scoring system. It started with GOT, then went to GB, and now this pos multiplier system.

Ah, Grasshopper. You must learn to move multipliers as you play. No trap up! Move on fly! Only then will you have mastered the Jedi multiplier.

#626 1 year ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Broken parts are what happens on fast-moving games. Unlike "stunning," "fantastic," games that are the "best games out there"...which you subsequently sell not even a year after posting about it:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-hobbit-has-been-out-for-a-while-how-do-owners-feel-about-it#post-3409122
I take your negativity on this game with a grain of salt...and consider the source.

You know I love ya and Stern.

Screenshot_20170814-221033 (resized).jpg

#627 1 year ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

You know I love ya and Stern.

You hate Stern. You're lukewarm on me.

#628 1 year ago

"No trap up! Move on fly!"

I don't get it. Why not just trap up and move the multiplier to left ramp everytime? Easiest shot in the game

#629 1 year ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

You hate Stern. You're lukewarm on me.

Not true. If you are ever in VA, come see me. Always welcome.

#630 1 year ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I was hoping for a Modern SW Theme with a nice LCD. I will give a try when the code is done and see how it is. It would have to be completely overhauled to change my mind though.

By modern, do you mean like the new trilogy(Force Awakens, Last Jedi, Episode IX), or prequel trilogy? I wouldn't mind seeing Episodes 1-9 all on one game (even though I despise Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones), which could make for an incredibly deep game.

#631 1 year ago
Quoted from mittens:

the tie fighter is now interactive.

Bonus points if you can use the broken wing as a skip-ramp to launch a ball into the Death Star!

#632 1 year ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

By modern, do you mean like the new trilogy(Force Awakens, Last Jedi, Episode IX), or prequel trilogy? I wouldn't mind seeing Episodes 1-9 all on one game (even though I despise Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones), which could make for an incredibly deep game.

I dont' want to be reminded that ep 1, 2 and 3 exist. So there is definitely bonus points for making sure NONE of their elements make it way into this game.

#633 1 year ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

There is plenty of source material available and included in the game. It all flows together nicely. Episodes 1-3 (particularly 1 and 2) have a completely different feel and isn't even visually consistent with 4-6. I would hate to see those all mixed into one game. No thanks.

#634 1 year ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I dont' want to be reminded that ep 1, 2 and 3 exist. So there is definitely bonus points for making sure NONE of their elements make it way into this game.

This is my stance also. In fact I’m a bit annoyed at the inclusion of the term “youngling” as it reminds me of them.

Hopefully that’s the extent of the prequel nonsense.

#635 1 year ago
Quoted from Bond_Gadget_007:

"No trap up! Move on fly!"
I don't get it. Why not just trap up and move the multiplier to left ramp everytime? Easiest shot in the game

Simple answer is that shot may not be worth the most points at any given moment. If you're working on a mode you can have the multipliers match the mode, or if you know where the big points will come from you can set it up. If you don't care about points, than just ignore the whole thing or play challenge games with others where you leave the multipliers off the whole time.

As the shot multiplier gets higher, the number of shots it will work on diminishes so you need to move it around for the highest scores. As for catching the ball, this is not an easy game to catch the ball. It's best to throw the ball up into the pops (that people say never get used) and then switch the multiplier shot. I used the pops a lot when I was trying to get the higher scores.

Oh yeah and combos seem to matter a bunch too. Which is another reason to have the multipliers where you want them, I think they worked on the combo bonuses too.

I'm not really a tournament player, so I doubt i ever learn all the tricks, but I'm ok with that. You can play the game for the modes, the multiballs, story etc. The modes don't feel the same like ST, they feel varied. It's hard to explain, but with the choosing characters, picking modes, stacking modes, tie fighter multiball and the multipliers it just feels like there are a million ways you can play the game. You don't have to keep going for the same ladder in order like on GB. I like GB but after a while I get tired of playing the same few modes. Seems like Stern listened (don't shoot me) and made a game that isn't linear at all.

#636 1 year ago

Just park it on the Death Star lane.

#637 1 year ago

Like I clarified above I meant modern Pin not modern SW. No interest in prequels.

#638 1 year ago

The cargument version of Stern Star Wars:

PastedGraphic-1-1 (resized).png

#639 1 year ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

The cargument version of Stern Star Wars:

see what you did there (resized).jpg

#640 1 year ago

We all have opinions. If you own the game, that does not make you right. If you don't own the game, that doesn't mean you're wrong. If you have played the game, that helps give your opinion at least some mustard. If you haven't played the game, doesn't mean you're wrong either. I don't care if you're a cheerleader or a hater. We all have passion for this hobby, and we are just discussing our thoughts on a new game. Attacking people personally over a topic like this is where it gets ridiculous. Nobody is right...nobody is wrong.

In an attempt to stave off the negativity, I haven't posted in here much at all lately. I think there is a little "grouping" going on, with regard to the "empty playfield." As I stated in previous posts, saying that does not mean I want more toys or useless things on the playfield...although that may be what some people mean.

I just want more ramps and things to shoot for...actual pinball parts. I even compared SW to the layouts on BF, WH20 and games of the like. Do I want to shoot the same ramp or target 5 times for 5 different modes? I'm sorry, no. Even with deep rule sets, that gets a little boring. And once you master that singular great shot...what then? I want five different ramps or targets to get to those five modes. The more shots this little silver ball has to get to in order to score or achieve tasks, the better. And I'm sorry, SW just doesn't have that. Whether you like it or hate it, we can all agree the amount of "shots" this game actually has is lacking.

It's like the figure 8 ramp on LW3. Very fun the first few times you play and hit it...then it just becomes hitting that ramp over, and over, and over, and over, and over again.

Is SW a cool pin? Yes...yes it is. After a month of self-reflection and therapy, I have come around and accepted the game for what it is. And it is Star Wars, so I can't hate it. But does it lack a good amount of shots? Yes. My 1979 Stern Dracula has more shots to make, and that is simply reality. But I've accepted it, and at least I'm on to that stage. Now next time I play SW, I'm going to take the analysis goggles off and just try to enjoy it.

#641 1 year ago

Last I looked and counted, most recent pins have something like 19 to 22 shots so I don't get the "it doesn't have any shots" line of thinking when there isn't much more than a 10% difference. I suppose upper and lower playfields add to the number of shots on some LE machines but most people seem to like the Pro versions about as well or even better sometimes.

#642 1 year ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

Last I looked and counted, most recent pins have something like 19 to 22 shots so I don't get the "it doesn't have any shots" line of thinking when there isn't much more than a 10% difference. I suppose upper and lower playfields add to the number of shots on some LE machines but most people seem to like the Pro versions about as well or even better sometimes.

Yeah, I'm not getting that comment either.
Left loop. Left inner orbit/Death Star shot. Right inner orbit/Hoth shot. Left ramp/Endor shot. Right ramp.
Right orbit. Right scoop (Tatooine) shot.
Force target bank. Tie fighter. 3 bank LCD.

Pretty sure that's all of them? So 7 shots not including drop targets, tie fighter, lcd, or the little stand up targets.

#643 1 year ago

By that math then it beats TWD 7-6?

I'm not getting the "shot" comments either. You want to compare apples to apples then count everything that you can hit on the playfield that can trigger a reaction, whether it's scoring, counters, whatever. SW has 21 shots.

#644 1 year ago

I recommend anyone who has played it on location or at a show put some time on the game in in a home environment if possible. Completely different beast. The audio package is fantastic and adds a LOT.

#645 1 year ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I recommend anyone who has played it on location or at a show put some time on the game in in a home environment if possible. Completely different beast. The audio package is fantastic and adds a LOT.

Agreed. I'll also say that regardless of the number of shots a game has, it's not necessarily "more fun".
Games need some shot variety, of course. But there are tons of games with lots of shots, that just aren't top titles.

Conversely, MM doesn't have a ton of shots, does it? And it seems to be relatively popular.
: )

#647 1 year ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Conversely, MM doesn't have a ton of shots, does it? And it seems to be relatively popular.

I wasn't comparing anything to MM. But you're right, that doesn't have a lot of shots.

Quoted from Groo:

I'm not getting the "shot" comments either. You want to compare apples to apples then count everything that you can hit on the playfield that can trigger a reaction, whether it's scoring, counters, whatever. SW has 21 shots

36 here. And it's just a point, not a pissing contest. If anybody here wants to tell me that the playfield on SW looks as plentiful as this game, I would say you were looking at the eclipse too long today. And BF only has one toy, the Batwing, which is a cannon / interactive part of gameplay. This game isn't crowded with a bunch of meaningless playfield toys, it's crowded with ramps and fun pinball stuff.

And at the end of my post I said I like the game and it's growing on me. But everybody wants to focus on the negative stuff.

IMG_1884 (resized).JPG

#648 1 year ago

I really enjoy tspp. I'm more into lots of unique shots each with a purpose. That game uses every shot evenly and is alot of fun. If it was reskinned as star wars I could see it being more of a hit.

The star wars theme (imo) should have been more of an adventure style game than a race to me. Not saying I don't like fast and flowy games (loved my acdc pro), but the theme just doesn't match the play style. That's just me and I know there is alot of people who don't like tspp because it is to much stop and go with alot going on. Just giving my opinion. Still a fun game, just a little disappointed.

#649 1 year ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

GOT has one of the best light shows in pinball!

I think you mean worst. In fact, I'd argue that it is strongly the worst light show ever created. Having over head flashers strobing causing a seizure like effect is not a good light show. The stock game is completely unplayable in the dark. It's absolutely horrible

#650 1 year ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

I really enjoy tspp. I'm more into lots of unique shots each with a purpose. That game uses every shot evenly and is alot of fun. If it was reskinned as star wars I could see it being more of a hit.
The star wars theme (imo) should have been more of an adventure style game than a race to me. Not saying I don't like fast and flowy games (loved my acdc pro), but the theme just doesn't match the play style. That's just me and I know there is alot of people who don't like tspp because it is to much stop and go with alot going on. Just giving my opinion. Still a fun game, just a little disappointed.

Respect you totally...but Star Wars, for me, is adrenaline...I think Stern got this right. I will admit that I haven't played it yet, but have a premium coming. TSPP is a blast to play, and someday I hope to own one, but Star Wars for me is not slow, and strategic, it's balls-to-the-walls! "You're all clear kid. Now let's blow this thing and go home." BOOM!!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Pinball Machine
Music City Pinball
$ 26.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
There are 674 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 14.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside