SQ_box (resized).jpg
IMG_1219 (resized).JPG
storm-trooper (resized).jpg
ikea (resized).jpg
1trvek (resized).jpg
IMG_2380 (resized).JPG
Boob 3rd grade (resized).jpg
IMG_2426 (resized).PNG

There are 674 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 14.
#551 6 years ago
Quoted from Khabbi:

Bitch and complain? How about we are all very passionate about our hobby and feel connected enough to give critical feedback on products without blindly accepting whatever a manufacturer pushes at us? I think we all expect reasonable progress, especially with prices being increased, not cost-cutting, bare bones products that we are supposed to praise because it's a cool title.

You have been around longer than I have here. This site is very different from 4-5 years ago. Sad but true.

You can blame The manufactures or pricing or what have you, but the complaining and Infighting off the charts sucks.

#552 6 years ago
Quoted from Khabbi:

Bitch and complain? How about we are all very passionate about our hobby and feel connected enough to give critical feedback on products without blindly accepting whatever a manufacturer pushes at us? I think we all expect reasonable progress, especially with prices being increased, not cost-cutting, bare bones products that we are supposed to praise because it's a cool title.

and I respectfully disagree. Pinside has gone well beyond "passionate", nearly to the point of "obsessive" or "deranged".
I honestly have come to the opinion that Stern will never be viewed positively on this website, because they cant make games good enough to fill some peoples' empty lives. To me, it's past frustrating, and now reached the level of "just plain sad".

If you're not convinced, buy any new title, and have your friends over to play it. Listen to not only WHAT they say, (love it or hate it), but HOW they say it. Now compare that to most Pinside threads. In person, people may make a few comments if they're not thrilled, but they will be respectful (should be, anyway!). On Pinside, it's nothing to insult each other or absolutely slam pretty much any manufacturer, even if you've never had problems yourself. If as much as anyone else has had issues... look out!

Sad honestly because the people that (in my opinion) are entitled to hate pinball, or think that I'm crazy for spending any amount of a machine AREN'T other owners; it's those who haven't got a clue how great this hobby can be -or understand some of the great people you can actually meet by being a part of it.

#553 6 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

and I respectfully disagree. Pinside has gone well beyond "passionate", nearly to the point of "obsessive" or "deranged".
I honestly have come to the opinion that Stern will never be viewed positively on this website, because they cant make games good enough to fill some peoples' empty lives. To me, it's past frustrating, and now reached the level of "just plain sad".
If you're not convinced, buy any new title, and have your friends over to play it. Listen to not only WHAT they say, (love it or hate it), but HOW they say it. Now compare that to most Pinside threads. In person, people may make a few comments if they're not thrilled, but they will be respectful (should be, anyway!). On Pinside, it's nothing to insult each other or absolutely slam pretty much any manufacturer, even if you've never had problems yourself. If as much as anyone else has had issues... look out!
Sad honestly because the people that (in my opinion) are entitled to hate pinball, or think that I'm crazy for spending any amount of a machine AREN'T other owners; it's those who haven't got a clue how great this hobby can be -or understand some of the great people you can actually meet by being a part of it.

Well, we used to have the Stern fanboys that would defend anything Stern to the point of being obsessive.. why do you think we don't see that anymore? Because they have raised prices on every single release while cheapening their product over and over again. I don't care what hobby you are in, when you do that, you better at least be producing quality. They aren't, and they're thumbing their nose up at us. Add to that ridiculous pricing on toppers, aprons ($100 for a plastic apron?), abandoned code, splitting cabinets, ghosting playfields, etc., etc., and just about "everyone" on here has been negatively impacted. So you ask why "everyone" isn't happy?

#554 6 years ago
Quoted from Khabbi:

Well, we used to have the Stern fanboys that would defend anything Stern to the point of being obsessive.. why do you think we don't see that anymore? Because they have raised prices on every single release while cheapening their product over and over again. I don't care what hobby you are in, when you do that, you better at least be producing quality. They aren't, and they're thumbing their nose up at us. Add to that ridiculous pricing on toppers, aprons ($100 for a plastic apron?), abandoned code, splitting cabinets, ghosting playfields, etc., etc., and just about "everyone" on here has been negatively impacted. So you ask why "everyone" isn't happy?

I get it. People see Stern as jacking prices and cheapening the product. Many businesses do this. If they get out of the sweet spot, they adjust or decrease their base. But the people who are not happy with Stern are over the top. Raw anger and hate. When Stern is named, the venom spewed is really too much. I want to see Stern succeed...just like the other pin makers out there. Constructive criticism is ok, but most of what I see on pinside is not constructive. If you don't like them...don't buy them.

#555 6 years ago

So, someone pre-ordered and is not happy?

They bought a game without ever playing it and have an issues?

They listened to people in Pinside And went with a wrong version based on other people's opinions?

This is a first. I wish someone, somewhere would say something like "Play it first" or "Buy the games you like".

#556 6 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

THIS!!! ^^^

My whole family played and love SW at Pintastic. Come here, and you'd be led to believe it's the biggest piece of shit ever made.

A friend of mine (who I won't name because he posts here and many people know him) who is far wiser than me once talked me off the ledge by reminding me of one salient fact: Pinside is NOT pinball.

#557 6 years ago
Quoted from Khabbi:

Again, I respectfully disagree.
I love Stern. They've made my favourite games.
Iron Man, ACDC, Metallica, TWD, Aerosmith...
I also like Game of Thrones, Spider-Man... Probably even others.
I'm not fond of Batman in its current state, and I think that they did a piss poor job on Avengers (so no, they're not perfect by any means) so I'm not a blind fanboy (pretty close though?) and here's my opinion:

I WANT TO PLAY AND ENJOY PINBALL. NOT DEFEND IT ON THE INTERNET.

IF Stern sales were suffering in any way, I might agree with you -but last time I checked, they're still doing ok, with more sweet titles on the way. I expect most Stern fans and just posting much less than they used to is all.

#558 6 years ago

Been playing Star Wars since I set it up for 6 hours solid. Super fun game. Very happy with my purchase. Great shots, fast gameplay, lots of strategy and deep code. It's a winner. My son Luke loves it also. Yes, his name is Luke. Named after that Luke.

IMG_1219 (resized).JPGIMG_1219 (resized).JPG

#559 6 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Been playing Star Wars since I set it up for 6 hours solid. Super fun game. Very happy with my purchase. Great shots, fast gameplay, lots of strategy and deep code. It's a winner. My son Luke loves it also. Yes, his name is Luke. Named after that Luke.

Thanks for the positive post! Any issues at all?

Mine arrives next week!

#560 6 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Thanks for the positive post! Any issues at all?
Mine arrives next week!

No adjustments needed out of the box. Plays great.

#561 6 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I hope your other son isn't named Darth.

Congrats on the purchase!

#562 6 years ago

Not surprised about what people say here. At least it is moderated. What is said here is NOTHING compared to what people will say in the comments following news articles on Yahoo. People will say all kinds of things they would never say to peoples' faces. It is a sad commentary on society but true that people will say the worst things when they feel insulated from any repercussions.

#563 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Stingy settings on extra balls could really help, but I have no idea how people are only having 2 minute (or less) games on this thing. Little kids, maybe?

You might just be really good. I play a lot on location and had really short games at the location I play and at GEX. No cheap scoop drains or the horseshoe. Just hit a loop and cant handle the feed with the speed or hit the 3 bank and straight down the left out.

I also find your extra ball comment important. I turn extra balls off and it makes games more fun for me. Probably will help with those long ball times if that is why people don't like games. That and the 5 ball I run across when I buy a game from some one who says its too easy.

#564 6 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Hey, I think you're in the wrong thread!

#565 6 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

...My son Luke loves it also. Yes, his name is Luke. Named after that Luke.

now, please, what's YOUR name ???

#566 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I hope your other son isn't named Darth.
Congrats on the purchase!

Wouldn't kermit24 be Darth?

#567 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

I didn't want to spoil anything.

#568 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

It might be Annie.

#569 6 years ago

Great comments Chambahz

Stern offers a price point for everybody

And I can't blame them for taking out the flippers

A lot of people are pissed they can't lock in LEs for flips anymore.

They reserve LEs, see what the market is going to be like, and then decide on whether or not to bail.

Is it any wonder? It's not about playing pinball for a whole lot of folks in this hobby

#570 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Is it any wonder? It's not about playing pinball for a whole lot of folks in this hobby

I sometimes turn all my machines on, grab a beer, have a seat and just stare at my games.

#571 6 years ago
Quoted from SuperPinball:

I sometimes turn all my machines on, grab a beer, have a seat and just stare at my games.

I have a feeling there are more here that do that, than you think.

#572 6 years ago
Quoted from SuperPinball:

grab a beer, have a seat and just stare

One night after playing stuff until 5AM with friends, I just sat in a corner listening to the Whitewater music completely plastered

#573 6 years ago

I am playing in the ayci Gogi Star Wars launch event here in Los Angeles tomorrow. I'm excited. I can't buy the game I don't have the room or the money.
But I can go rock this event.

#574 6 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

So, someone pre-ordered and is not happy?
They bought a game without ever playing it and have an issues?
They listened to people in Pinside And went with a wrong version based on other people's opinions?
This is a first. I wish someone, somewhere would say something like "Play it first" or "Buy the games you like".

This post really needs to be 'stickied'! All of the "what should I buy???' posts - be gone!

#575 6 years ago

Seems like there aren't just haters in this thread.

Do any of you care about Star Wars, and want the best machine possible that we can get?

I invite you to participate in my series of Star Wars Code Adjustment Polls.

Here is the link to the 1st one: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-wars-poll1-mode-shots-more-mode-specific-sfx-please

Keep an eye open for more, and please post a few examples of SFX and Call-Outs you want to hear in the machine.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#576 6 years ago
Quoted from Schusler:

All of the "what should I buy???' posts - be gone!

Well this is a forum for discussing pinball machines so I don't mind those posts. Lots of people don't have access to try before they buy so it's nice to talk to people about the pros vs. cons of each.

Everyone just says "play both and decide for yourself" but that's not easy for everyone.

#577 6 years ago

I am actually really looking forward to my new Le this week. I made tons of cool mods to install on the game. Big fan of Star Wars. Game looks amazing to me!!!

#578 6 years ago

1. Players who really like speed and loops might really enjoy this pin.
2. Folks who want to add to a SW theme they have will find SOMETHING they really like.
3. First time NIB owners have nothing to worry about IMO as demand will be around if they ever want to sell. Their family likely will enjoy it. Don't sweat it. My opinion is just that.
4. I don't think code updates will impact players disappointed in the "wow" factor. Sorry
5. Stern makes great games. This one didn't ring MY bell. It might ring yours.

Lastly, I might THINK I'm a Boba Fett, but I probably ACT like an Ithorian and possibly RESEMBLE a Transdoshan.

#579 6 years ago

I read all the opinion threads and posts. Decided to buy it....because opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.

SQ_box (resized).jpgSQ_box (resized).jpg

SW_2 (resized).jpgSW_2 (resized).jpg

#580 6 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

I read all the opinion threads and posts. Decided to buy it....because opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.

And? What's YOUR opinion?

#581 6 years ago

After playing it about 30 times, I think it's pretty cool. Billion point hurry-ups, multiball chaos. Good stuff.

#582 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

And? What's YOUR opinion?

Really enjoying it ..... I like the fast pace, the quick shots, the flow. Sounds are good, music is great, screen info is spot on. Sure its missing plastic toys, but the game itself is great. Unfortunately I sold Kiss to get it .....and I really wasn't ready to dump that (and of course the day the shipper came to get it, Stern drops the new code). The game seems to be just as solid as any older stern games.... honestly I don't see what all the fuss is about other than sour grapes about pricing (and I do miss the days of NIB for 3500)

However one complaint ..... where's Billy Dee?

#583 6 years ago

The response from people, like me, who own this game appears to be overwhelmingly positive. Location games are always hard to judge, hard to hear, games can be brutal, you don't appreciate the rules, etc. I've liked the game a lot since the day I got it in early July, still feel the same about it and I suspect code will only make it better. Not thrilled with Spike, but that's another onversation.

#584 6 years ago

I was watching SDTM talk about Star Wars and their comments made the light bulb go on why it doesn't work for me. It really is a tournament machine. Nothing random, no magnets, even the pops are safely tucked away. The crazy multipliers, this is for people that play pinball for points, that make shots that everything is deterministic. I have never cared about points or determinism actually completely the opposite. I just want to work my way through the story or levels. I don't want to stack the levels of do a bunch shit to score more. I don't play video games for points either. I want to see everything the game has to offer. I want to see all the animations, I want to get to play every character, I am a content tourist. Star Wars just does not deliver on that level. If your a tournament guy I think its probable one of the greatest.

#585 6 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I have never cared about points or determinism actually completely the opposite. I just want to work my way through the story or levels.

That's a shame...you should play some pinball machines made before 1980.

#586 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

That's a shame...you should play some pinball machines made before 1980.

Oh I have, just then I was a little kid and I could care less about points. In those days 25 cents was a lot and I made it last. Just because I don't care about points doesn't mean I can't play. Just for me crushing a machine is about how long you can play. Putting up the initials was just silly, in the arcades I always just put up GOD.

P.S. Maybe that's why I ended up in gaming I love all the little secret things in a game. I wanted to do things no one had seen, not rinse and repeat the easiest thing to score.

#587 6 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Oh I have, just then I was a little kid and I could care less about points. In those days 25 cents was...

Yes that's what I mean....you should play them now.

#588 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Yes that's what I mean....you should play them now.

System 11s are what I love, before that is a little too primitive and before my time.

#589 6 years ago

Well with Kieth & Zach working at Stern now you might prepare yourself for little more of this.

#590 6 years ago

I have no issue with it just have no clue what they would make Star Wars a hard core tournament player machine. All the possible themes they thought Star Wars was a good choice for this type of play? I love AC/DC and its pretty hard core with lots of depth but it also very easy to understand and enjoy. I didn't feel like I needed someone to explain how to play it.

#591 6 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I have no issue with it just have no clue what they would make Star Wars a hard core tournament player machine. All the possible themes they thought Star Wars was a good choice for this type of play? I love AC/DC and its pretty hard core with lots of depth but it also very easy to understand and enjoy. I didn't feel like I needed someone to explain how to play it.

This topic has come up before, I didn't understand it then, and I don't understand it now.
With themes that people stroke themselves to, they somehow feel that game should be very simple and easy to understand and dumbed-down. Maybe it's because they liked these themes as a child so it should follow suite? I really don't have any idea.
What makes Ironman a good theme for being kicked in the nuts? BSD is an asscranker because like, vampires are mean? Barb Wire sucks because the movie sucked...well actually that's a fair point.
ACDC is basically a mode-less game with not a ton of adventuring qualities, that's entire point structure is based on risk versus rewards for building jackpots right?

And as always, it's only a hardcore tournament player if you want it to be, which is basically every machine ever built.
You don't want to worry aboot the multipliers, don't, Just shoot and have fun. You don;t have to pay any attention to them in GOT to progress through the modes/stories and get to the wizard modes.

#592 6 years ago

I know many of you will blow this off as a cargument. I work in gaming so its what I can use as an example. EA recently got the Star Wars license and release Battlefront. It is an online shooter and very casual. Star Wars is a license that allows you to grow you market. You have to be daft to make your first release for the hard core. EA already has the hard core, you don't spend all that money on a license to make a game for the people standing in line on release day. You make it a casual game to bring in all those casual gamers. Yes your hard core will complain but it really doesnt matter. Then you release the next game and its takes all those casuals and start the transformation to hard core. Then the next game is hard core.

It was a massive miss to do one pin and not start casual and fun. A new Hope you bring in the masses and sell to a new market. Its fun and easy to play but doesn't offer huge depth. The depth is intentionally a little light because just as people have seen it all in the first pin you drop Empire. It's hard but all those new players are ready for it, by the time you drop Jedi you market is exponentially bigger and you sold everyone three games instead of one. Why Stern can not see or understand this very basic of concepts is beyond me. I'm a pinball guy and they didn't even sell me one pin. They could have sold me three. I know pinballs are more expensive then games. Its just an example. The point is ease of entry and learning curve. Wow the big market first the hard core come later.

#593 6 years ago

Just about the only reason I gave a thumbs down to the OP is that he stated GB is more fun than SW. A kick in the nuts is more fun than playing GB, IMHO.

#594 6 years ago

So my wife and I went and played a SW Pro for a couple hours on Sunday (my son was there too, but played other games). We had to play some other games first, but when SW opened up we walked over to it and she commented it looked pretty empty. I explained how to choose a character, how tie fighters worked and the shot bonuses. As I was explaining she was kicking my butt. Finally I let her control her own lockbar button so I'd have a chance.

After the couple hours we were completing modes, getting multiballs, having a blast all around. We scored close to 2 billion on some games, and over a billion on many (all with newest code). My son never scored near as well, but likes the game too.

When we were done, I asked her what she thought and she thought this game has more in it than any of our other games. There is simply more to do, more choices to make and more ways to play it. It's a winner for us and the premium will live a very long time in our livingroom.

Pinball has always been about scoring more points than the person next to you. It has also usually been pretty brutal so ops can make money. SW is fast, brutal and has so much depth I can't believe it's getting all this poor attention. I really think it's going to be one of the greats even if it doesn't have a lot of playfield toys. You really don't need the playfield toys there isn't time to watch them anyway, this is one blazingly fast game.

#595 6 years ago

Would this be negative?

Screenshot_20170814-111345 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20170814-111345 (resized).jpg

#596 6 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Would this be negative?

I wouldn't consider it. Screw the wing back on with some locktight, it's a multiple piece toy.

It's pinball. Anytime I have a group of people over, something breaks or needs adjustment after they leave. That ball flying around is just destructive and the entire game vibrates and tries rattling every screw loose.

Now, playfield issues I worry about. My GB and AS have been great. I took the time to really look over all the games at the location I was at and they all looked great. That made me feel better. If the SW there had playfield issues than I'd worry, but it didn't and it gets a lot of play.

#597 6 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I know many of you will blow this off as a cargument. I work in gaming so its what I can use as an example. EA recently got the Star Wars license and release Battlefront. It is an online shooter and very casual. Star Wars is a license that allows you to grow you market. You have to be daft to make your first release for the hard core. EA already has the hard core, you don't spend all that money on a license to make a game for the people standing in line on release day. You make it a casual game to bring in all those casual gamers. Yes your hard core will complain but it really doesnt matter. Then you release the next game and its takes all those casuals and start the transformation to hard core. Then the next game is hard core.
It was a massive miss to do one pin and not start casual and fun. A new Hope you bring in the masses and sell to a new market. Its fun and easy to play but doesn't offer huge depth. The depth is intentionally a little light because just as people have seen it all in the first pin you drop Empire. It's hard but all those new players are ready for it, by the time you drop Jedi you market is exponentially bigger and you sold everyone three games instead of one. Why Stern can not see or understand this very basic of concepts is beyond me. I'm a pinball guy and they didn't even sell me one pin. They could have sold me three. I know pinballs are more expensive then games. Its just an example. The point is ease of entry and learning curve. Wow the big market first the hard core come later.

I disagree with you. My 7yr old plays my SW pro and understands how the game works. Every game with any kind of depth and breadth to the code takes some time to learn. SW is easy to understand and play if you are open to learning. Oh yeah SW Battlefront 1 sucks hopefully Battlefront 2 kicks ass.

#598 6 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Star Wars is a license that allows you to grow you market. You have to be daft to make your first release for the hard core.....I know pinballs are more expensive then games. Its just an example. The point is ease of entry and learning curve. Wow the big market first the hard core come later.

I also find it strange people keep bringing up points like this. What does a machine not made for the masses of people have to do with you, as a player enjoying it? I dislike GB because I owned it and it wasn't fun to play. Never did I once think "Boy Stern missed a big chance to reach out to John Q Public on this one." And even if I did, it would never come up as a reason not to like it.

I don't see this as a cargument, I see it as a very confusing angle to take. Pinball is not new, Star Wars pinballs are not new, making very hard games are not new. How is this anything like what you're talking aboot?

#599 6 years ago

You guys like Star Wars and that's great. It is clear that many people have issues with it. The people that don't like it still count. When you get this type of feedback at the volume that it is coming in, it has validity. You guys can blow it all off and say things like well play a game before 1980 or well my 7yr old can figure it out. That actually provides nothing. It could have been much better, hopefully as the code matures they will clean it up and make it more approachable and fun for the masses. I'm not a hardcore player, I'm in it for fun I could care less what the guy next to me score. Right now I do not enjoy the experience. Its not about I like it so I'm right you don't like it so you are wrong.

#600 6 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Would this be negative?

No, we've actually already covered this and determined the tie fighter is now interactive.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
There are 674 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-wars-a-negative-review/page/12?hl=trunchbull and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.