SQ_box (resized).jpg
IMG_1219 (resized).JPG
storm-trooper (resized).jpg
ikea (resized).jpg
1trvek (resized).jpg
IMG_2380 (resized).JPG
Boob 3rd grade (resized).jpg
IMG_2426 (resized).PNG

There are 674 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 14.
#451 6 years ago

More bugs than features in these games too...

#452 6 years ago

The Buffalo Pinball Aliens video shows how a theme should be integrated into a pinball machine. I don't love the playfield on that game either to be honest, but the artwork, lighting, sound and overrall software package are integrated extremely well. Given the choice it would be a no brainer. Alien in a heartbeat!

#453 6 years ago

I just stacked two mission multiballs with hyperspace multiball and tie fighter multiball and it ruled. Oh, right, negativity... OK I didn't get a victory multiball because I suck

#454 6 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

The kickback on GoT pro is a great shot and important when trying to complete targaryan modes and wall supers. The fact that its also the mystery shot and EB shot makes it that much more important.

I'm just talking about the physical kick. It often seems limp compared to IM, which always just insta-blasts back at you. Not sure if the switch is just in a more optimal place on IM or what.

#455 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

like TRON and IM there isn't actually a lot on the playfield but the way its executed and interacts with the ball is magic.

I never did get the love for Tron and IM. They are both kind of barren games and I wouldn't purchase them because of that and a few other reasons. It wouldn't be so bad if a stripped down game also came with a reduced price.

That being said, the playfields on Tron and IM look full featured compared to SW.

TSPP>>GB>>Tron=IM>SW

#456 6 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

* Magnet like Addams Family under play field when multi ball battle with Dark Vader (Return of the Jedi final battle, using the force to throw things)

I loved your post, but I was very tempted to give you a thumbs down for calling him "Dark" Vader.

But I gave it a thumbs up instead. Great post!

Marcus

#457 6 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I never did get the love for Tron and IM.

Easy. Themes people like, excellent audio/theme integration, easy to "pick up and play", simple goals that are difficult to accomplish - leading to addiction type "one more time" gameplay. They feel like a "battle"...the game fights you in fun ways. Despite being simple up front, there's nuance players pick up that keep them coming back.

#458 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Umm...a TIE fighter that isn't on a spring maybe? Lmao.
Worst pinball playfield toy ever hands down! Lol

Seeing that Tie Fighter bobble when you hit at legit pisses me off. Never thought a feature on a pinball machine would get me angry. A new low I would say.

#459 6 years ago

It seems as though Stern thinks that now that they finally got rid of the DMD they can have minimal playfield toys. The shiny color screen distracts from the empty playfield.

#460 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

...and the War Machine kickback. Steve tried the kickback in ST and GOT, and for
whatever reason, doesn't work as well as well as it does in IM.

Uhhhh hate to disagree with you rare, but the GOT PRO kick back smokes IM war machine kick back every day. It's faster, closer, a bigger punch, and smoother as it has no divots in the pf to effect trajectory or give a slight ball hop.

I still love me some war machine, but GOT PROs dragon kick back is the best kick back implementation than any kick back around; plus it has a captive up post which feels so good to hit and lock.

#461 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Uhhhh hate to disagree with you rare, but the GOT PRO kick back smokes IM war machine kick back every day.....

but GOT PROs dragon kick back is the best kick back implementation than any kick back around;....

Agreed

Hmmm...boy I think a well working General Yagoff still might be tops.

Quoted from Jvspin:

I never did get the love for Tron and IM....It wouldn't be so bad if a stripped down game also came with a reduced price.

Wwll in those games defense they were cheaper back then.

#462 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Loved playing the pro, loved the premium video (coding warts and all!). Keeping my order.

1trvek (resized).jpg1trvek (resized).jpg

#463 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Uhhhh hate to disagree with you rare, but the GOT PRO kick back smokes IM war machine kick back every day. It's faster, closer, a bigger punch, and smoother as it has no divots in the pf to effect trajectory or give a slight ball hop.
I still love me some war machine, but GOT PROs dragon kick back is the best kick back implementation than any kick back around; plus it has a captive up post which feels so good to hit and lock.

Well, I guess all the ones I've played weren't dialed in to kick well. Is this a GB situation? Out of the box sucks,
but tweaked for home use is better? (Except GB still sucks when tweaked lol - GOT already plays well, so I'll take your word that the kick can be good).

On the other side of it, my Monger is perfectly level, and there's never any hop.

Oh, pinball.....

#464 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

On the other side of it, my Monger is perfectly level, and there's never any hop.
Oh, pinball.....

Me neither. A kickback is a kickback (or Laser Kick as DE calls it) I didn't realize there were perceived differences.

My favorite use is Iron Man. I don't know why.

#465 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Is this a GB situation? Out of the box sucks,
but tweaked for home use is better?

Never screwed around with mine and it's great.

#466 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

My favorite use is Iron Man.

Have you seen the Last Action Hero kickback?

#467 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Me neither. A kickback is a kickback (or Laser Kick as DE calls it) I didn't realize there were perceived differences.
My favorite use is Iron Man. I don't know why.

Iron Man and Jurassic Park are my favorite. They travel such a long distance from the kick to the flipper that they're just fun to watch.

#468 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Well if the ball triggers the coil too soon, it might not contact with the ball as good and then not kick it as well. When I had ST, very often I could hear the coil kick & sometimes. It hit the ball...or hit it but weakly. but the kickback wasn't as nearly as good as IM....and that's been my route experience with GOT as well.

#469 6 years ago
Quoted from Khabbi:

IM was made when Pinball was slowing down and Stern was short on money, if I recall correctly. Same with Avatar. Those playfields were sparse because of the time they were produced. In this current time, Pinball is at an all time high, prices have soared and one would think profits are much higher (more machines being sold, less on playfield=more profit, $500 plastic toppers, etc.), and technology has advanced.. that's why I think SW should/could have been a Killer offering.

Agree but IM has two magnets, three spinners, Iron Monger figure and kick back shot from War Machine plus some figurines on the PF.

I mean come on Monger is one of the greatest toys ever, and I know spinners are not something to flip out about but Stern is taking them off Met and TWD pro.

#470 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Well, I guess all the ones I've played weren't dialed in to kick well. Is this a GB situation? Out of the box sucks,
but tweaked for home use is better? (Except GB still sucks when tweaked lol - GOT already plays well, so I'll take your word that the kick can be good).
Oh, pinball.....

My GOT PRO was the easiest, fastest setup I've had with any NIB experience. No GB or AVLE experiences is here. I think it's just a pinball thing. I've played IMs where the kickback is smooth and fast and others while fast, get a slight effect from the monger.

Both are awesome kick backs and two of my favorites in pinball.

#471 6 years ago

I've not played SW but the rules don't excite me, if anything like ST = hit the flashing light (make 30 modes of the same thing) plus button mashing video mode and scrolling to pick missions and GOT-like multipliers. I can't say about GOT because I only played it here and there but one time for no apparent reason I got a massive point infusion (someone said maybe I hit the battering rams shot x number of times) this is just not interesting to me.

I don't know GB too well either but it looks 10x more feature packed.

#472 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

GB is kind of like going to IKEA. Seems like a good idea. There's SO much stuff. Seems cool.

Then you get there and it's super crowded, nothing is available, people have no idea where to walk and in 10 minutes you want to get the hell out of there.

ikea (resized).jpgikea (resized).jpg

#473 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Sounds like GB's the machine for you then, and given its current "popularity" you should be able to scoop one up on the cheap.

Quoted from Guinnesstime:

GB is kind of like going to IKEA. Seems like a good idea. There's SO much stuff. Seems cool.
Then you get there and it's super crowded, nothing is available, people have no idea where to walk and in 10 minutes you want to get the hell out of there.

You left out the lingonberry juice and tiny meatballs.

#474 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

My GOT PRO was the easiest, fastest setup I've had with any NIB experience.

Hmm...I'd have to agree with you there. No tweaking at all that I can remember.

Quoted from rai:

hahahaa yeah it's umm...got a bunch of shit strewn aboot in there.

#475 6 years ago

SW shoots really well, especially compare to GB. GB is great to look at but, man, that game is tough. Every time I've played it, it's been a drain monster, too. I need more time on it, I guess.

#476 6 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

SW shoots really well, especially compare to GB. GB is great to look at but, man, that game is tough. Every time I've played it, it's been a drain monster, too. I need more time on it, I guess.

Yep GB can be a 'beach' but it's a blast when you can just hit start and play again. When kids and others come over it is the game they want to play (and WOZ). It's beautiful, bright, noisy and a little crazy. I'm glad it plays completely different from ST, AS, etc. I try not to have many games that all play the same.

Every non pin person I've shown clips of Star Wars too are just thrilled to know it's coming to my house eventually. I'm guessing when it shows up that it will be the pin everyone goes to. A lot of pinball people really like the way it plays too. It'll be a hit for Stern and it'll be a blast for those that just like to play and have fun, but fast enough to be a huge challenge.

#477 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Agreed
Hmmm...boy I think a well working General Yagoff still might be tops.

Wwll in those games defense they were cheaper back then.

I thought they were too expensive back then!

#478 6 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

Have you seen the Last Action Hero kickback?

Yeah, the Ripper. It's nasty!

I really like when the Vengeance smacks the ball back at you on Star Trek too.

#479 6 years ago
Quoted from SilverballNut:

Every non pin person I've shown clips of Star Wars too are just thrilled to know it's coming to my house eventually.

You mean they aren't beating your door down to play DI?

#480 6 years ago

I don't know. Ghostbusters is a tough pin I want to play longer. SW has long ball times I feel like walking away from.

#481 6 years ago
Quoted from Hi-Fi:

It seems as though Stern thinks that now that they finally got rid of the DMD they can have minimal playfield toys. The shiny color screen distracts from the empty playfield.

Aerosmith has a decent layout and a couple of good toys.

#482 6 years ago

These shots are going to get real old fast in a home environment. I mean who really cares about sitting at home and trapping the ball so you can move the multipliers and then turn them on and then make the shot for big points? Am I missing something here? I thought SR is the king of flow...how is that flow?

All the shots are so far down the playfield too... totally uninspiring to say the least. Now I agree it has Star Wars music and movie clips but so does my Blu Ray box set... shit I thought that was expensive at $50!

i may have to wait for the JJP version when it comes out. I haven't liked any JJP game yet but maybe this would be the one. PLEASE!! I need a real Star Wars pin.

#483 6 years ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

i may have to wait for the JJP version when it comes out. I haven't liked any JJP game yet but maybe this would be the one. PLEASE!! I need a real Star Wars pin.

What is up with the JJP Star Wars talk? It is NOT happening.

#484 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

You mean they aren't beating your door down to play DI?

They should be.

#485 6 years ago
Quoted from Xerico:

I loved your post, but I was very tempted to give you a thumbs down for calling him "Dark" Vader.

LOL. That had to be my damn auto spell check on my mac. Now if I spelled Yada wrong, I should be slapped.

#486 6 years ago

I played a Star Wars Pro for an hour last night. It does shoot well and it's fast. I grew up with SW and a huge fan of the movies, but I won't buy this pin for my collection. The one cheap bouncing toy kills it for me. The art work is so so. I'm not a great player and had very long ball times. I can only imagine a really skilled player will be on a 15-30 ball time. Just seems Stern paid for the license and had zero money left for anything on the playfield. Just looks cheap. Too many options out in the market for 5300 bucks.

#487 6 years ago

These are all opinions so none are wrong. My opinion is that the game is fun and interesting, although I strongly wish they had kept the playfield magnet in the original play-field design. I have no problem with the art. The movies have been around for 40 years. I don't think it's reasonable to expect art that diverges significantly from what we've seen over the last 40 years and I like it better than what is on other older SW pinball machines.

#488 6 years ago
Quoted from fishmanrob:

I played a Star Wars Pro for an hour last night. It does shoot well and it's fast. I grew up with SW and a huge fan of the movies, but I won't buy this pin for my collection. The one cheap bouncing toy kills it for me. The art work is so so. I'm not a great player and had very long ball times. I can only imagine a really skilled player will be on a 15-30 ball time. Just seems Stern paid for the license and had zero money left for anything on the playfield. Just looks cheap. Too many options out in the market for 5300 bucks.

I don't know how you aren't a good player and have long ball times. The game is like iron man, fast and furious. I'm a decent player and I have short ball times. My high on 0.87 is 1.2 bill and that game took maybe 6 or 7 mins. 3 ball all factory settings. There is a lot of dangerous side to side movement if you brick shots. Made it to the Death Star mode last night, what a rush and amazing light show. The thumping sounds remind me of horde in TWD.

#489 6 years ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

I mean who really cares about sitting at home and trapping the ball so you can move the multipliers and then turn them on and then make the shot for big points?

I thought SR is the king of flow...how is that flow?

i may have to wait for the JJP version when it comes out.

Whom cares aboot strategy? I would think lots of people actually.

Oh jesus not the flow shit again.

Ladies and gentleman, Pinside.

#490 6 years ago

Yeah, ball times are extremely long on this one, especially once you start getting to the end of the mode ladders and start hitting multiball after multiball. A 15-20 minute game is pretty common and they can easily go much longer

#491 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Yeah, ball times are extremely long on this one, especially once you start getting to the end of the mode ladders and start hitting multiball after multiball. A 15-20 minute game is pretty common and they can easily go much longer

Just checked my audits. I have 164 games played on .87 code. Many many games over 2 billion with my GC on .87 being 4 billion. ZERO games 15+ minutes and only seven 10-15 minute games out of 164. I think alot of my games are shorter though because of trying to explore each mode fully. On old code i did have a couple marathon games when i was stacking modes though.

#492 6 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

ZERO games 15+ minutes and only seven 10-15 minute games out of 164.

due to the lack of stop and go in this game, 10 minutes feels like 20! lol

#493 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Tell that to Deadflip and Keith Elwin.

#494 6 years ago

Just checked audits. 931 games played.
15+ - 2
10 to 15 - 3
8 to 10 - 6
6 to 8 - 17
5 to 6 - 14
4 to 5 - 44
3.5 to 4 - 41
3 to 3.5 - 57
2.5 to 3 - 100
2 to 2.5 - 182
1.5 to 2 - 238
1 to 1.5 - 202
0 to 1 - 23

Game too easy I guess. Tons of 20 minute games ... super common.

#495 6 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

15+ - 2
10 to 15 - 3
8 to 10 - 6
6 to 8 - 17
5 to 6 - 14
4 to 5 - 44
3.5 to 4 - 41
3 to 3.5 - 57
2.5 to 3 - 100
2 to 2.5 - 182
1.5 to 2 - 238
1 to 1.5 - 202
0 to 1 - 23

This looks perfect to me. It'll be great to get an occasional great game going, but more fun to play with multiple people when the times are shorter.

#496 6 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

15+ - 2
10 to 15 - 3
8 to 10 - 6
6 to 8 - 17
5 to 6 - 14
4 to 5 - 44
3.5 to 4 - 41
3 to 3.5 - 57
2.5 to 3 - 100
2 to 2.5 - 182
1.5 to 2 - 238
1 to 1.5 - 202
0 to 1 - 23

We will just call these alternative facts.....

#497 6 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

We will just call these alternative facts.....

Definitely...this "argument" is useless. I've played about 25 games now on SW pro total, between Pintastic and a buddy that has one, and I've had some really long ball times, and some SDTM's that made for short games.

#498 6 years ago

Most my games and done withing 3-5 min on star wars. I have had a few 15 min plus games, but not many.

#499 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Definitely...this "argument" is useless. I've played about 25 games now on SW pro total, between Pintastic and a buddy that has one, and I've had some really long ball times, and some SDTM's that made for short games.

Yeah, but your SDTM shots are usually because you're too busy looking in the mirror, prettyboy.

#500 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

I assume you're talking about poor adjustment of the auto-launcher and VUK when you mention SDTM drains, but game design is also a crucial element in SDTM drains -- FT with lighting flippers, GB with wide flipper gap, and SM with center post are extreme examples, but there's a wide variance in how safe bricked shots are on all games. Overall, that's going to have a serious impact on length of game and how people perceive the game (a long battle vs. a short brutal one).

I haven't looked at stats like this for other games, so maybe the distribution is the same for all games. But assuming everyone's not entirely full of shit about game length (e.g. the common wisdom that LOTR and SM have long ball times and IM does not), looking at these stats from a routed game is actually pretty interesting.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Carl Junction, MO
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Space Coast Pinball
Sound/Speakers
$ 65.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 26.50
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 4,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place
Pinball Machine
$ 21.50
$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods
Shooter rods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bay Shore, NY
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
5,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation
Shooter rods
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
€ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 49.99
$ 5.00
Lighting - Backbox
Gameroom Mods
Backbox
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
There are 674 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-wars-a-negative-review/page/10 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.