SQ_box (resized).jpg
IMG_1219 (resized).JPG
storm-trooper (resized).jpg
ikea (resized).jpg
1trvek (resized).jpg
IMG_2380 (resized).JPG
Boob 3rd grade (resized).jpg
IMG_2426 (resized).PNG

There are 674 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 14.
#1 6 years ago

I played a pro version on location for a couple hours and managed to put up enough points for "grand champion". The whole experience was hollow.

I like the speed and parts of the flow of the game. I was able to maintain long ball times. The hurry up modes we're amusing. That's the extent of anything positive for me.

The bumpers are blocked by the small screen feature. The mode choices don't change the structure of the playfield which seems to be missing any real stand out feature. Nothing moves other than a tie fighter that kind of bobbles. It's almost as stationary as RBION is.

I enjoyed seeing some movie clips but the cranked volume highlighted some really mumbled call outs and if IM is described as stripped down, then this playfield should be termed stark raving nude and about half as fun.

To me, this is a dull game with very dull artwork and would get old very quickly in a small collection. The shots are repetitive and combos , bonuses etc aren't very satisfying to achieve given it's lackluster light, point and sound integration.

I had high hopes for this game and will say most recent Stern's are much more fun including AS, Met, IM, ST, GB, X-Men etc.

On a fun factor level - a little better than Avatar and probably nearing Transformers in my opinion. Sooooo much more creativity could have been used here. I forced myself to stay with it given its repetitiveness but after 2 hours of searching for something to trigger that "just one more game feel", I was more than content to move on.

I feel bad posting this for those waiting for their first NIB pin. If you're a huge fan like me (had all the star wars figures including the mail away Boba Fett) then this game may be a let down. I imagine a lot of these will be hitting the secondary market shortly.

#2 6 years ago

This is STERN's way of business. All pro's now and in the future will have as minimal features as possible. They will sock it to the Premium and LE buyers who get the games fully featured. IMHO LE's are the biggest rip off.

Right now the difference between Premium and LE is cosmetic, that is going to change. It's only a matter of time before the Premium is no longer the same playing game as the LE. The Pro's are becoming the failed "Costco" version, the Premiums will become what the Pro's used to be, and the LE and Super LE will become the new Premium and LE.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

This is STERN's way of business. All pro's now and in the future will have as minimal features as possible. They will sock it to the Premium and LE buyers who get the games fully featured. IMHO LE's are the biggest rip off.
Right now the difference between Premium and LE is cosmetic, that is going to change. It's only a matter of time before the Premium is no longer the same playing game as the LE. The Pro's are becoming the failed "Costco" version, the Premiums will become what the Pro's used to be, and the LE and Super LE will become the new Premium and LE.

IMO, the super le would need to change multiple elements of this game to be on par from a fun perspective to recent Sterns

#4 6 years ago

Feel the same.
Have a brand new one set up on our showroom floor and just don't have the want to play it.
Not to take sides, but I do find myself standing in front of DI from time to time.

#5 6 years ago

I was fortunate enough to have a DI about 4 machines away to compare the two. It was clear where the extra 2500 bucks went. DI just had much more interesting things to do and an excellent light integration. I'm not a jjp fanboy and always preferred Stern.

If there ever was a game primed for a playfield pop up, magnets or centered bash toy, clearly star wars was that game but it seemed like an opportunity was missed sadly.

#6 6 years ago

I see you hated GOT Pro with a 3.9 rating, your GOT review almost sounds just like SW review. I sold my GOT pro few days after getting SW because of SW being so similar code and shot feeling wise so id expect for you to hate SW too.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

I see you hated GOT Pro with a 3.9 rating, your GOT review almost sounds just like SW review. I sold my GOT pro few days after getting SW because of SW being so similar code and shot feeling wise so id expect for you to hate SW too.

I don't hate SW pro or GOT pro. I hate Monopoly. I do like SW better than GOT but likely theme has a lot to do with that. Both seem kind of barren. Given the following, both titles could have used more bling but maybe it's a margin issue with Stern.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Hawkeyepin:

If there ever was a game primed for a playfield pop up, magnets or centered bash toy, clearly star wars was that game but it seemed like an opportunity was missed sadly.

But, in a nutshell that's not a Steve Ritchie game. He doesn't (usually) have bash toys or playfield magnets in his games. Well, there's a ram on GoT and the tie fighter on SW.... What his games do sometimes have are mini playfields, looping orbit shots and always lots of flow. He also doesn't over complicate the playfield with shots that not intuitive and not easy to make (GB). And look at GB as an example where JT does something more unique and there was a lot of backlash over the shot geometry.

I think expectations for SW were just too high for some to ever be satisfied with the game. Same with GB... Same with the next game.... Nothing personal, everyone has their opinion. I'm looking forward to my pro..

Rob

#9 6 years ago

Scores are way out of whack (though I hear a code update is pending to fix that). I had a house ball on ball one. The ball hit two switches and went straight to an outlane. I never even flipped. Ball one total was 16,000,000. LOL

On the plus side, the cabinet art was surprisingly nice up close compared to my impression from online pictures.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

Never thought about it like that but I bet you are right. I agree LE's are the biggest ripoff when a pretty much identical premium is much less. Overall, I just hate the whole pro/premium/le business model. Maybe Stern makes more money doing that but seems like they hurt themselves more. Typically, I think fans like different things about each model but not completely sold on one in particular. You are always trying to determine if premium is worth the price hike over the pro and such.

#11 6 years ago

I tried so hard to enjoy Star Wars. I just...can't. There's such a massive disconnect between the game's physical and code design. It's such a vanilla layout. Playing it super safe on Star Wars feels pretty unsatisfying, to be honest.

The game is actually fairly easy as well. SUPER long ball times, despite it playing lightning fast every second along the way. The most dangerous part is the plunge, which is also terrible (garbage skill shot). Once you can control that plunge, get ready for multiball fatigue, because everything the game has leads to one. All the modes feel very similar, and you're often running multiple modes on each other anyway. While it has similar code to Game of Thrones, they went too far with the additional layers here and it all loses itself in the code soup. I very much prefer how Game of Thrones works right now. We'll see how Star Wars continues to develop.

The shots themselves feel very nice. The sound is also solid. The game, however, is just a mess of poorly implemented layers of complicated concepts on top of a very basic layout.

#12 6 years ago

Man I think I should cancel my LE order, but its non refundable! You guys should have said something sooner!

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Man I think I should cancel my LE order, but its non refundable! You guys should have said something sooner!

It is non refundable???
Chris had two on order and cancelled both, as he shared on his podcast

#14 6 years ago

I respect this honest review. It is similar to how I feel. I haven't played it yet, so I can't determine my full opinion until then, but based off all the videos I can tell pretty good how it plays. I think at this point I'm more likely to get an AS or GB. I just think at these prices, a table needs to offer more on the playfield. Sure, SW has great sounds and clips, but I can see all of that anytime on my Blu Ray player. Anyway, I find both good and bad reviews interesting and helpful in evaluating a game. Hopefully the premium is a little more exciting with the loop, but I'm not betting on it.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Have you played it yet? I just attended CAX where they had 10+ Pros on the floor and everyone I talked to liked it. I liked it too.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Have you played it yet? I just attended CAX where they had 10+ Pros on the floor and everyone I talked to liked it. I liked it too.

almost 500 plays in and i cant get enough of it...

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I think at this point I'm more likely to get an AS or GB

Have you played those games either?

I thought AS was a lot of fun for the first couple of weeks. At this point it already just feels like a generic game that I don't really care about. If Aerosmith is your jam though, I can see how this might be a good option.

GB is a whole other ball of shenanigans. I own one. I think it's an ok game that is largely held up by the theme.

I would gladly trade my GB for a SW right now.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

It is non refundable???
Chris had two on order and cancelled both, as he shared on his podcast

Very smart thing to do.

#19 6 years ago

I love the game play and flow, but even for Ritchie, the PF just screams "HELP ME OBI WAN!". It's 2017. Think of all the potential here... R2D2 with a projected hologram (aka Ecto Goggles taken to the next level). R2D2 with full movement and an extending/retractable probe for the mystery awards. Light sabers. Cool lighting effects.

Here's my issue. Maybe the toys thing is not SR's "style" and I'm OK with that -- although to be honest, AC/DC cannon, bells... STTNG, Spider-Man, etc. all had interactive parts. However, it's Star Wars and the evolution of technology would have allowed for at least one or two interactive toys that were simply not possible on the DE or Sega versions back in the day. Where I do take exception is the price and I think you all should too. If you are happy with the PF and "relatively" barebones design, then on a cost-per-parts basis, this game should have cost significantly less than GB or AS.

What we're collectively telling Stern (and they're laughing all the way to the bank) is that they can STILL get top dollar with minimalist PF designs and apparently now (based on yesterday's memo), shotty quality.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

But, in a nutshell that's not a Steve Ritchie game. He doesn't (usually) have bash toys or playfield magnets in his games.

Then choosing Ritchie for this theme wasn't the best decision. I may be in the minority, but he's not even Stern's best designer IMO.

With arguably the #1 license in pinball, they should have teamed Borg & Lyman on SW & let them come up with another all-time classic.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from wxforecaster:

I love the game play and flow, but even for Ritchie, the PF just screams "HELP ME OBI WAN!". It's 2017. Think of all the potential here... R2D2 with a projected hologram (aka Ecto Goggles taken to the next level). R2D2 with full movement and an extending/retractable probe for the mystery awards. Light sabers. Cool lighting effects.
Here's my issue. Maybe the toys thing is not SR's "style" and I'm OK with that -- although to be honest, AC/DC cannon, bells... STTNG, Spider-Man, etc. all had interactive parts. However, it's Star Wars and the evolution of technology would have allowed for at least one or two interactive toys that were simply not possible on the DE or Sega versions back in the day. Where I do take exception is the price and I think you all should too. If you are happy with the PF and "relatively" barebones design, then on a cost-per-parts basis, this game should have cost significantly less than GB or AS.
What we're collectively telling Stern (and they're laughing all the way to the bank) is that they can STILL get top dollar with minimalist PF designs and apparently now (based on yesterday's memo), shotty quality.

Getaway is a Steve Richie design, is it not? That doesn't have a ton of toys either. SW just seems like such a similar layout...

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

With arguably the #1 license in pinball, they should have teamed Borg & Lyman on SW & let them come up with another all-time classic.

I honestly don't think any of sterns designers would have created the game that met/exceeded everyones expectations. With borg you would get Aero-Kiss Wars 3.0, with Trudeau, you might have got close, but the flipper gap would have plagued the game, and we have seen what Ritchie came up with. I do love my pro, but to meet what everyone wanted as far as toys and such this prolly should have been a JJP license.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

I honestly don't think any of sterns designers would have created the game that met/exceeded everyones expectations.

You know it's funny, everyone has been stroking to their "dream themes" for years here, tons of threads aboot them all the time since way before my time. And now that they're actually happening I think it's hard to match the sticky sheets peeps have been dreaming aboot.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

You know it's funny, everyone has been stroking to their "dream themes" for years here, tons of threads aboot them all the time since way before my time. And now that they're actually happening I think it's hard to match the sticky sheets peeps have been dreaming aboot.

I had this issue with Star Trek. The more you like a theme, the more that the theme integration and expectations are raised. I bought Star Trek NIB because I'm a bit of a Trekkie. Holy cow there are things about that game that rub me the wrong way and I sold it. Also though, I didn't really like the SR playfield layout and he really should delete pop bumpers from his tool set at this point -- because how he applies them has become a boring waste of space.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Man I think I should cancel my LE order, but its non refundable!

I was able to cancel mine Thursday with no issues.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from megadeth2600:

I was able to cancel mine Thursday with no issues.

Hmm. debating.. cancel or keep. I'm a Star Wars fan.. but the playfield does look plain and ordinary. Maybe hyperloop will be worth it?? I need another thread to vote for keep it or cancel it

Mo!

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

10+ Pros on the floor and everyone I talked to liked it. I liked it too.

I like the game, but not "$8500 delivered for an LE" liked it. It's fun, don't get me wrong, and some people will absolutely love it regardless of price. I don't feel like my expectations are through the roof for the game, but there isn't much on the Premium and LE models that isn't on the pro.

I plan on getting a used one eventually, but I won't fund Stern's idiotic approach to the release of this game. I suspect the "addons" for this game are going to be north of $1K (rumored R2D2 topper with picoprojector + the animated backglass for the LEs). We are talking almost $10K for a game not worth anywhere near that when all is said and done (assuming rumors are true of course).

If I'm going to take a loss, it won't be after Stern has my money ... I'd rather buy one from a fellow collector down the road and take the hit from that point forward . Makes little sense, yes, but I despise what Stern is doing (cutting quality / increasing price ... that makes no sense to me).

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Getaway is a Steve Richie design, is it not? That doesn't have a ton of toys either. SW just seems like such a similar layout...

it may not have a ton of toys, but it has one of the most bad-ass toys in pinball history. imho.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Hmm. debating.. cancel or keep. I'm a Star Wars fan.. but the playfield does look plain and ordinary. Maybe hyperloop will be worth it?? I need another thread to vote for keep it or cancel it

It's a fun game. Don't get me wrong. It's simply not LE-price fun . I can afford the $8500 (I'm not rich, but I had my fund for this game going for a while) ... I simply don't like rewarding companies that are a bit too obvious with their mediocrity and cash grabs with my money.

I'm a Star Wars nut myself (old trilogy only for the most part ... never cared for the prequels and like the new stuff, but nothing like the way I love the old stuff ). Never in a million years did I think I would cancel a Star Wars pin based only on the old trilogy designed by Steve Ritchie.

Bottom line ... I doubt you'll be disappointed with the game overall if you choose to keep it. However, it's going to nag at you paying what you paid. I haven't seen the hyperloop, but I am 99.99999% sure the effect isn't going to floor me ... it's already out there on a couple of games. Neat, yes ... $2500 neat, hell no.

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

Have you played those games either?
I thought AS was a lot of fun for the first couple of weeks. At this point it already just feels like a generic game that I don't really care about. If Aerosmith is your jam though, I can see how this might be a good option.
GB is a whole other ball of shenanigans. I own one. I think it's an ok game that is largely held up by the theme.
I would gladly trade my GB for a SW right now.

Yes, I've played both, more GB premium than AS. I really like both, but have a couple of those concerns to. I'm worried AS won't have staying power. I like the price of the pro though. GB premium is fun, but difficult. My family doesn't want it due to the difficulty. I'm not fully out in a SW premium yet, but I'm having a hard time buying into it at this point. Like I said, I need to play it before deciding anything.

#31 6 years ago

Played and watched others play on 2 SW Pros at our local launch party last Friday night, latest code installed on both (0.87?). First impressions were positive, to me it seems to have some nice depth & variability to make a good home pin, but not enough to buy a Pro. Waiting to see what the Premium plays like and for some more code maturity before I will pull the trigger on one.....

#32 6 years ago

Well, here star wars is...GOT all over again i suppose..

"the artwork sucks"
"there's nothing on the pf"
"these rules make no sense"

if these people think/thought the same of GOT, then i can't wait to get my SW premium.

thanks for all the feedback.

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

Well, here star wars is...GOT all over again i suppose..
"the artwork sucks"
"there's nothing on the pf"
"these rules make no sense"
if these people think/thought the same of GOT, then i can't wait to get my SW premium.
thanks for all the feedback.

Everytime I hear negative things about a game, I just remember how stoked everybody was about GB. And then...

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

it may not have a ton of toys, but it has one of the most bad-ass toys in pinball history. imho.

Sorry, that was my point, actually - I must have edited out my main thought there..

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Everytime I hear negative things about a game, I just remember how stoked everybody was about GB. And then...

It's almost like you gotta play'em to see how they play.

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Id' still be super stoked about GB at $4,000... think it will eventually hit that low? Very pretty looking game

#37 6 years ago

Not in this house.
SW was played for three days straight.
And then...
It was turned off.
Meanwhile, GBP is still getting the same amount of love (if not more) since it's arrival back in November.

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Well i love my GB but i agree Boobie, I wouldn't listen to any of the negative reviews. The people that have played it enough like Booms and Smokedog are loving it.

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Well i love my GB but i agree Boobie, I wouldn't listen to any of the negative reviews. The people that have played it enough like Booms and Smokedog are loving it.

Yes, create an opinion echo chamber and live in it. Smart way to be an informed person.

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

...I wouldn't listen to any of the negative reviews. The people that have played it enough like Booms and Smokedog are loving it.

Well there you go, 2 people

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Yes, create an opinion echo chamber and live in it. Smart way to be an informed person.

I've found the only opinion i care about is my own once i play it!

Heard same crapola with TWD.

It's not that difficult to cut through the bias. Play it a few hundred times and then tell me what you think.

That said, I'm out on LE, not because of the play.

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

Not in this house.
SW was played for three days straight.
And then...
It was turned off.
Meanwhile, GBP is still getting the same amount of love (if not more) since it's arrival back in November.

You're definitely in the minority, though. I love playing GB on location - it's a fun game. But people have been complaining about the depth and code updates...and cheap drains.

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Play it a few hundred times and then tell me what you think.

Didn't like it, sold it in a couple months...so you can at least add that to you list of unbiased non love

Quoted from beelzeboob:

But people have been complaining about the depth and code updates...and cheap drains.

It's hard to just say one way or the other "people don't like it/people love it."
I agree with ice you can have people hate it because it doesn't meet their middle aged masturbatory ideas they had in their theme whore mind. Or, you can just not like it for real reasons. Whom knows.

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

The problem is the echo chamber for hate/complaining is much bigger then the praise one. IMO its not because of the number of people on either side, people just like to complain more then praise about stuff. If you receive really good service somewhere how likely are you to go write a review of a place on yelp, facebook, ect, ect vs if you received really really bad service?

I see the same people crap in every thread relating to a game that they don't like (this isn't just SW related), however I see many different people say good things about a game, however they don't post in every single thread related to the game. They normally post it once and be done with it, so it becomes much harder to get an honest number of people happy vs unhappy.

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Didn't like it, sold it in a couple months...so you can at least add that to you list of unbiased non love

GB? Yeah i can see why some people wouldn't like it.

You are on the non biased rational review list Law. Your opinion counts more in my book!

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

I see the same people crap in every thread relating to a game that they don't like (this isn't just SW related), ...

And SW is ground zero for this one now. Besides all the replacement, ghosting, & code concern (all legit), A lot was it didn't look they way it wanted to, "I always imagined an AT-AT would be there wouldn't that be cool?" "holy cow you want me to multiply things and hit a 3rd button" turn offs before you touch the goddamn thing.

#47 6 years ago

I'm glad I got my very nice DE Star Wars with color dmd and pinsound.

I'm not impressed with this offering from Stern.

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

And SW is ground zero for this one now. Besides all the replacement, ghosting, & code concern (all legit), A lot was it didn't look they way it wanted to, "I always imagined an AT-AT would be there wouldn't that be cool?" "holy cow you want me to multiply things and hit a 3rd button" turn offs before you touch the goddamn thing.

Practicing for Star Wars multipliers...

http://j.gifs.com/vqer3j.gif

press (resized).pngpress (resized).png

#49 6 years ago

I'm not surprised the OP doesn't like SW. None of his earlier recommendations made it into the pin:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-star-wars

#50 6 years ago

I enjoyed playing Star Wars. Skipping all the issues with Stern, I had fun. Shit, I guess I need to go start a thread with my opinion rather than let it be lost in one of the many Star Wars threads.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 169.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 49.99
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios
Other
$ 3,699.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 52.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
5,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bay Shore, NY
Machine - For Sale
Carl Junction, MO
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 98.00
Lighting - Interactive
ArcadeMade
Interactive
$ 4,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place
Pinball Machine
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com
Decals
$ 9.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball
Decals
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
There are 674 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-wars-a-negative-review and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.