(Topic ID: 61981)

Star Trek: yada yada yada yada. Where's Star Wars ??

By pinball_erie

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

r2d2-cat.gif
    stdoc.jpg
    Walter.jpg
    0826_bobby_brown02.jpg
    Funhouse_-_Tron_Similarities.jpg
    There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 10 years ago

Borg has shown to be one of the best right now and he is young enough to come up with some crazy shit. I also know for a fact that he's chomping at the bit to get this title. After making the first SW pin, " the bet of all of 'em ", this will be his greatest masterpiece, that goes a long way in design when you have a true historical passion for the theme. Here's to hoping I am right, start socking the $$$ away now boys and girls !!!

#2 10 years ago

I hope he waits until Episode IX to do it. Would love to have all nine movies on the pin.

#3 10 years ago

Hate to say it do to the length of wait it might mean. But I too would like the next pin done on this franchise to include all 9 movies. Disney owns it all now so that might be a game changer for Stern.

You will likely get a ton of great response it is SW and it is a whole bunch of adult "nerds" myself included. I think this will happen it is only a matter of time.

#4 10 years ago

3 turds wasn't enough for ya?

#5 10 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

I hope he waits until Episode IX to do it. Would love to have all nine movies on the pin.

All 9 episodes I can see it now....intro...... in a galaxy far far away......12 hours later end of intro and first ball pops up ready to play. Would be cool though Now which mission first episode 4 or 1 or 7, and a lot of things to cover toy and episode wise for one playfield plus a mini or two.

Even more toys for the LE, I say bring it on as long as there is a JarJar tongue flicking ball lock im pre ordering.

#6 10 years ago

Just a pin with episode IV would be fine with me. I mean look at Tron on movie is plenty of material for a pin and no worry about Jarjar bink or Ewoks.

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from HighProtein:

3 turds wasn't enough for ya?

4 actually.

Quoted from pinball_erie:

Borg has shown to be one of the best right now and he is young enough to come up with some crazy shit.

Borg has shown he is great at copying other PF designs, yes, but that is it.

When the new movies break, I expect this will be the most coveted theme in pinball, and someone will finally do a SW machine right.

#8 10 years ago

Borg is truly an under rated designer, he doesn't get all the compliments and kudos like the other designers. But he is very very good IMO. He deserves the love the others get. You da man Borgy.

#9 10 years ago

Well after swe1 the only way from the bottom is up.

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

Borg is truly an under rated designer, he doesn't get all the compliments and kudos like the other designers.

Explain? Tron is a clear carbon copy of FH, other than changing the head to the disk, and moving it, the same shots are there, one just leads to a new ramp. Who couldn't take TAF, move some stuff, get a good theme, and make a winner? Xmen is Stargate. Hell, everything back in the 90s was copies that involved him as well. Look at LAH - TAF magnets (three, in the same place), scoops that work the same with relighting, even the inlanes do a flashing temp relight, F14 kicker, T2 style shooter.

Borg's original stuff no one raves about. I just can't find an respect for someone that so blaintantly copies other designers. He has never had any signature anything and steals where others may borrow.

#11 10 years ago

I'd love to see what JJP would do with the Star Wars theme.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    http://LockWhenLit.com
    Quality Board Work - In Home Service
    borygard at gmail dot com

#12 10 years ago

Anyone who considers one of the original SW films to be a turd should go back to 6th grade film school.

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

Explain? Tron is a clear carbon copy of FH, other than changing the head to the disk, and moving it, the same shots are there, one just leads to a new ramp. Who couldn't take TAF, move some stuff, get a good theme, and make a winner? Xmen is Stargate. Hell, everything back in the 90s was copies that involved him as well. Look at LAH - TAF magnets (three, in the same place), scoops that work the same with relighting, even the inlanes do a flashing temp relight, F14 kicker, T2 style shooter.
    Borg's original stuff no one raves about. I just can't find an respect for someone that so blaintantly copies other designers. He has never had any signature anything and steals where others may borrow.

Yeah I don't know about all that. Pretty harsh words directed at a well respected member of the pinball community. You can look at many playfields on different machines and make connections like you did there. Borg has been making some great pins lately. Seems a little harsh and unwarranted to me but hey I can always agree to disagree.

#14 10 years ago

Star Trek: yada yada yada yada.

Star Wars: yoda yoda yoda yoda!

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from Sly_Old_Devil:

I can see it now....intro...... in a galaxy far far away......12 hours later end of intro and first ball pops up ready to play

Thanks for the laugh.

I've loved Star Wars since '77. Still wouldn't buy one without playing, but would be very interested to own one. Same goes with Star Trek. Really looking forward to playing it.

#16 10 years ago

All I can say is... "Suck a f*(&" JJ.A lol

Quote from Donnie Darko & nerd rage over JJ.A breaking his contract for Disney Star Wars hahaha.

Post edited by The_Dude_Abides : profanity.

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

All I can say is... Suck a f*(&.

Jean Luc would never speak this way. Patrick Stewart maybe, but not JLP.

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinballKen:

Jean Luc would never speak this way. Patrick Stewart maybe, but not JLP.

EDIT: Haha, I agree. I tend to swear too much. And JLP would only drink Earl Grey Hot and speak like a gentlemen. (I will wash my mouth out with soap, sorry admins it wont happen again)

I may be upset that JJ.A broke his contract. But I have no doubt that he will do a great job making the next Star Wars.

Post edited by Jean-Luc-Picard : Got rid of all the F-Bombs lol

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

Anyone who considers one of the original SW films to be a turd should go back to 6th grade film school.

Mature comment that makes little sense even if we were talking about the movies. We were referring to the machines made, not the movies.

Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Yeah I don't know about all that. Pretty harsh words directed at a well respected member of the pinball community. You can look at many playfields on different machines and make connections like you did there. Borg has been making some great pins lately. Seems a little harsh and unwarranted to me but hey I can always agree to disagree.

Have you played FH? If you know the two machines well, there is no question, and no discussion, it is only a copy of FH. I have no respect for someone who can't come up with his own designs and steals of others to make them. There is no connection, its a stolen design. MM looks more different in shot design then AFM compared to FH and Tron.

#20 10 years ago

Without Star Trek there would be no Star Wars.

#21 10 years ago

I owned and enjoyed DE SW. I am concerned that the Disney influence on the Star Wars cannon will mean the next pin will be based on one or more of the next three Disney-produced films. It remains to be seen whether that will be a good thing or a bad thing.

#22 10 years ago

star wars is for children who like fantasy and fairy tales but don't have the attention span for lord of the rings.

#23 10 years ago

George Lucas killed any hope at a new SW pinball.

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from mario_1_up:

Well after swe1 the only way from the bottom is up.

Says the man who likes the Mario bros pin

#25 10 years ago

there are 5 sw pins already not just 4

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

Haha, I agree. I tend to swear too much. And JLP would only drink Earl Grey Hot and speak like a gentlemen. (I will wash my mouth out with soap, sorry admins it wont happen again)
    I may be upset that JJ.A broke his contract. But I have no doubt that he will do a great job making the next Star Wars.

You completely changed this post
    And for the record I'm ok with swearing, no soap needed.

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

Star Wars is for children who like fantasy and fairy tales but don't have the attention span for Lord of the Rings.

I might take objection to this but your avatar is so funny I can't. YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT IT'S LIKE HERE!!

#28 10 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

Have you played FH? If you know the two machines well, there is no question, and no discussion, it is only a copy of FH. I have no respect for someone who can't come up with his own designs and steals of others to make them. There is no connection, its a stolen design.

I've played them both plenty don't try to pull that. I disagree with you that is all. If you can throw out insults to a great designer then you should at least be able to accept it when others disagree with you. There is a discussion and question because not everyone agrees with you. I think that whole this layout and that layout stuff gets taken too far sometimes this is a great example of that.

Sorry all I'll let you get back on topic now.

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from zpeakabonk:

there are 5 sw pins already not just 4

yeah its still not enough apparently, lets do another playboy too...both themes beaten to death and not one winner out of the lot.

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinballKen:

You completely changed this post
    And for the record I'm ok with swearing, no soap needed.

oops I forgot to add EDIT:... I removed it because I thought I was a bit extreme. As well I upset the admins with all the F-Bombs haha.

#31 10 years ago

Star Trek VS. Star Wars...

#32 10 years ago

And Star Trek Wins. Jean-Luc Picard. IS NOT GAY, HES BRITISH! lol Sooo funny!

#33 10 years ago

I've played them both plenty don't try to pull that. I disagree with you that is all. If you can throw out insults to a great designer then you should at least be able to accept it when others disagree with you. There is a discussion and question because not everyone agrees with you. I think that whole this layout and that layout stuff gets taken too far sometimes this is a great example of that.

I have to agree with Dude here. On a piece of 46" x 21.25" piece of laminated wood, there are only so many different things that can be done until someone can see it as copying someone's design in some way.

#34 10 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

Mature comment that makes little sense even if we were talking about the movies. We were referring to the machines made, not the movies.

Alright, I'll take my comment back. I definitely thought we were talking about the movies.

#35 10 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

Alright, I'll take my comment back. I definitely thought we were talking about the movies.

Thank you - I love the movies BTW

I believe you own a Tron, and I find it hard to believe you have played FH "plenty" and don't see what I'm talking about. I don't care if you disagree with me. It's a non-issue. Again, there is no discussion. If you or anyone else thinks Tron would exist as it is without FH, you are simply turning a blind eye to the obvious. Without FH, it would simply look exactly like TAF or another machine. I guess you don't think xmen looks exactly like SG either right?

#36 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

........... and without Lost in Space there wouldn't be no Star Trek!

DANGER DANGER Will Robinson!

#37 10 years ago

I believe you own a Tron, and I find it hard to believe you have played FH "plenty" and don't see what I'm talking about. I don't care if you disagree with me. It's a non-issue. Again, there is no discussion. If you or anyone else thinks Tron would exist as it is without FH, you are simply turning a blind eye to the obvious. Without FH, it would simply look exactly like TAF or another machine. I guess you don't think xmen looks exactly like SG either right?

I've never seen the Stargate to X-Men comparison before but I can see why so many people say Tron is a copy of Funhouse, there are a ton of similarities. This was debated when the game first came out so this is not a new argument.

I put together a quick picture (attached) to better illustrate what people are talking about. Not saying its true but its amazing how similar they are.

Funhouse_-_Tron_Similarities.jpgFunhouse_-_Tron_Similarities.jpg

#38 10 years ago

My thread on KLOV about playfields that looks similar....

http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=241836

#39 10 years ago

On top of that, pop bumpers the exact same, inlane structure the exact same, the upper scoop and inner orbit on FH just changed to the disk and inner orbit on Tron, this and the upper ramp shot are the only two differences in where the ball goes, and even they are still built off the same shots. Look at the shooter gate 1/3 up, and where it trickles to - exact.

Whether you like Tron or not, you can't deny this at all. And hence, my comments are what they are.

#40 10 years ago

You know, in looking at this again, he did take out that "S" target, and replace it with the tron targets. I guess that's enough to call this original and him a "designer" Simply genius!

Again, even MM looks more different from AFM, and LOTR more different from MB, fours games, by two *designers* that were clearly working off their previous winner for another, and untitled to do so of course.

borg works off others designs and does less to change it, MUCH less. Maybe this isn't his decision, maybe it's higher up, but regardless, tron is FH re-themed.

#41 10 years ago
    Quoted from metahugh:

I put together a quick picture (attached) to better illustrate what people are talking about. Not saying its true but its amazing how similar they are.

IMO those pins play nothing alike regardless of the layout similarities. The disc and other changes make them play much differently. If anything I would say Tron plays much more like Congo which also has a similar layout. And I am sorry XM plays nothing like Stargate. What people fail to realize regardless of two pins having very similar layouts (which many do) some small changes like placement/angle of bash toys magnets and spinners changes the playing experience totally.

Quoted from Atomicboy:

Okay it appears you are the type that think they are correct no matter what and no one has the right to disagree with them. I told you I've played FH plenty if you chose not to believe me that's your prerogative. If it is a non issue and no discussion then what are we discussing? Either way it is safe to say I disagree with your stance and allegations if you can't handle that I'm sorry. I really don't care if you disagree with me only take issue due to your inability to understand I have the right to my own view on the matter. So for the sake of allowing others to further discuss this in a more constructive manner lets agree to disagree and let it go please.

My 'it's your prerogative' line made me thing of this.
    0826_bobby_brown02.jpg0826_bobby_brown02.jpg

#42 10 years ago

ay it appears you are the type that think they are correct no matter what and no one has the right to disagree with them. I told you I've played FH plenty if you chose not to believe me that's your prerogative. If it is a non issue and no discussion then what are we discussing? Either way it is safe to say I disagree with your stance and allegations if you can't handle that I'm sorry. I really don't care if you disagree with me only take issue due to your inability to understand I have the right to my own view on the matter. So for the sake of allowing others to further discuss this in a more constructive manner lets agree to disagree and let it go please.

My 'it's your prerogative' line made me thing of this.

We are "discussing" this because you keep pressing on. You're hilarious man. You are the one that thinks they need to be correct. All the evidence others have shared and that's still subjective I guess to you. I can "handle" the factual and laid out evidence, what have you given in lieu of this to prove whatever position yours is? Nothing. Tell me how I'm wrong, how the points about this are wrong, and support this please. You come in here with it's my opinion crap, and if I don't like it, I can't handle it. Give me a break dude.

Explain, as per my first point. Make me understand, like I have done for you. You can't, and you know it. So don't pretend this is me not being able to leave it alone, you haven't supported your BS with one single point.

End of line.

#43 10 years ago

Yay, now lets bring in the ACDC = T2 argument so we bash another designer for lack of creativity. We all know the standard width playfield is limited to about 7 shots with little room to change things around... at this point in the industry what makes or breaks a game is the software.

#44 10 years ago

I always kinda thought Star Wars the Clone Wars (the cartoon) would be cool as a JJP game.

#45 10 years ago
    Quoted from PNBLWZD:

I always kinda thought Star Wars the Clone Wars (the cartoon) would be cool as a JJP game.

2D or 3D version??

#46 10 years ago

Okay I'm hoping we can just let this go. I have no interest in this turning into days of our lives. I don't feel the need to explain myself to you any further just so you can get all excited about it Walter. I can agree to disagree and that is what I am asking you to do. No need to attack those that disagree it is a forum of course people are going to disagree about things no matter how certain they themselves are about a subject.
    Walter.jpgWalter.jpg

#47 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Without Dr Who there would be no Star Trek.

#48 10 years ago
    Quoted from mnpinball:

stdoc.jpgstdoc.jpg

#49 10 years ago
    Quoted from mnpinball:

Without the invention of the TV there would be neither of those above.

#50 10 years ago

Yoda, yoda, yoda, yoda, where the hells my Star Trek!?

There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-yada-yada-yada-yada-wheres-star-wars and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.