(Topic ID: 50230)

Star Trek: Would an "underwhelming" movie affect pinball sales?

By LP30

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 69 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Toasterdog
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#52 10 years ago

Movie supposed to be good.

Downside for me is that it is yet another fight against terrorism movie. Would have preferred various aliens etc and same goes for the pin.

#53 10 years ago

Other than the scenes in the previews of the Enterprise crashing (and characters we know as the rebooted crew), it just strikes me as generic action film ABC. And I agree that too many films are going the 'terrorist' route to hit the nerves of a spooked post 9/11 society.

It would have been nice to have this Trek journey where no man has gone before, not where man seems destined to still be in the 23rd century.

That being said, I'm going to have an emergency pin fund lying around in case the SR pin knocks it out of the park. If not, I'll hold out for the first 2014 Stern release.

#54 10 years ago

If the movie is really bad then the enthusiasm won't be were people feel now it is going to be. Tron was a cult classic and not a good comparison really. ST was always more mainstream and needs a good movie for people to accept the new series and embrace the new cannon.

Each ST crew stands on their own to some extent . . . the crew this movie is based on only has one other movie to judge it. How excited would you be for a Star Trek Voyager pinball machine?

#56 10 years ago

Initial reviews seem positive, so the issue is probably moot.

#57 10 years ago
Quoted from stretch2:

I heard from more than one person that the new cast will be incorporated into the Stern ST pin.

Thank you for killing my soul

#58 10 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

Thank you for killing my soul

Did anyone ever actually think otherwise? I missed something here.

#59 10 years ago

it's around 88-90% fresh on the tomatometer, which is a sign that it is at least not a flop with the general public. amongst hardcore trek nerds (like me!) there will always be gripers. you get that in the depths of ANY subject people are passionate about. i mean, personally, i found Abrams' 2009 entry a bit airheaded and way too star-wars-prequelly for my tastes, but it was alright. i didn't hate it at all. i get that you can't develop relationships as deep and complex as the other casts did, when there's no tv series to go along with it and all you've got is those 2 precious hours in the theatre to show everything. i'm optimistic that "into darkness" will prove entertaining.

#60 10 years ago

Typical

Quoted from LP30:True, but if it's like METLE, they'll all be sold before anyone even sees one, much less knows how it plays.

A nicely succinct and accurate statement on the current n00b-fueled state of the pinball "hobby."

#61 10 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

LOTR stunk but I love the pin.

Wait......what?

#62 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Typical

A nicely succinct and accurate statement on the current n00b-fueled state of the pinball "hobby."

What do you mean by typical? That is a statement of fact regarding the METLE launch.

The cause of the current state of NIB prices involves many factors such as the introduction of the LEs, the arrival of new buyers, an improvement in the economy, an expansion of the overseas market and more. We saw nearly 50% of the METLEs sent overseas. That is 3 times the level of exports for prior LEs. 25% of US METLEs were purchased through a fan site. We haven't seen that before.

The point of the original question was to ask if the movie was not received enthusiastically (which seems not to be the case since the overseas release), would we see a more normal launch of the Star Trek pin due to lower Start Trek fan purchases compared to Metallica fans. If that was the case, would that lead to the opportunity to make an informed purchase (pictures, video, on location play) vs the mad scramble and chaos we saw with METLE? Obviously its only people's opinion, but it was an interesting discussion point.

#63 10 years ago

First game coded by Tanio Klyce, he has a great resume. I'm sure it will be great.

#64 10 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

First game coded by Tanio Klyce, he has a great resume. I'm sure it will be great.

That is big news and is likely to have a significant impact on the rush to buy

#65 10 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

Can you let us know what is on his resume?

Edit: I found him
http://www.pinballnews.com/news/tanio.html

#66 10 years ago

Thanks MN for Stern breaking news. Lyman is not doing ST?

Never heard of Tanio.

#67 10 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

He's on LinkedIn , look him up.
Major software guy at Valve.

He also coded the one off Metallica pin Earthshaker conversion.

#68 10 years ago

He developed prototype pinball board sys. Hmmm. New system in st maybe?

Recoding an old earth shaker isn't to advanced. His video game experience at valve has me wondering what stern is up to.

#69 10 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

Was hoping he was Japanese for some reason.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

arcade-cabinets.com

$ 24.95
$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-would-an-underwhelming-movie-affect-pinball-sales/page/2?ti=1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.