• Latest reply 9 years ago by Aurich
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

khan.jpg
#1 9 years ago

I know we have threads on this already, but I feel like Ritchie and his team and Stern just deserve a little enthusiasm for what they've done with this game. We've got a solid bug thread where we should consolidate issues, and we had a good launch thread, but I thought now that we've had a little time to actually play we could talk about how it's feeling after some experience.

My opinion? The new code rules! Utterly different game now, it's got all the fun, fast and flowy feeling from before, but without feeling like a grind. Every mode matters and is worth shooting for, transitioning between them is way faster and easier now, and there's a ton of new custom audio, which gives the machine so much more life. The old movie quotes were repeated all the time and got so old. Now there's variety and more narrative and feedback as you play.

I still think that speeding up Urban's call outs maybe 20% (keeping the same pitch) would be a good thing, but I'm totally adjusting to them. Just like I find the Metallica callouts charming now when I hated them at first, but even flat Urban isn't anywhere near as bad as Lars!

We'll get a bug fix release very soon (I'm confident of this), and it will hopefully take care of a few niggling issues, but overall it's great right now.

I wasn't playing Star Trek at all before the new code, I played Metallica almost strictly, with a little Tron. Metallica just has had hooks in me for months, I love it. I haven't even tried the new 1.63 code on it yet, even though I loaded it when it came out, because what limited pin time I've had I'm enjoying playing Star Trek again too much. I'll go back to Metallica soon, that game rules, but Star Trek is now something worth stepping away from Metallica to play now.

#2 9 years ago

Ditto , ST is so much fun!

#3 9 years ago

..AND, we have awesome alternate translite and stuff coming.....tick tock... less posting, more printing damn it!

I have mentioned before that I sold my SM specifically to get ST. I regretted it after a while, and actually sold my ST Prem. I bought back the ST Pro before the code update to give it another chance, and now with the code update I don't think of Spidey at all any more. This machine is now great, and every time I step up to it I play it a different way. It's a bit like AC/DC in that regard.

#4 9 years ago

Great to hear this Aurich. I have yet to play the game since the new code came out as when on vacation the night of the release. So it will be all new for me and the threads have given me a good idea of the game. Good to know the reviews are most positive with SR involved to fix the bugs. As to the translight, you know who is first!

#5 9 years ago

I haven't gotten a chance to play Star Trek with new code installed but I should be able to soon. I freaking loved the game with the old code though, so I imagine I'll like it even more now.

#6 9 years ago

Quite an improvement over the old code, which i loved already...im still learning the rules but am happy to have it in my collection

#7 9 years ago

Thanks for posting Aurich. It is really nice to see positive comments. I cannot get enough of my ST LE and it has turned into my favorite Ritchie game. The flow, the look and quality have exceeded my expectations. It may take some time for some to see its potential. I relate it to fine wine. It will only get better with age. I think Stern went above and beyond on this one. Steve Ritchie is the King

#8 9 years ago

Agree with all the comments.

I'll also add that I think the new code resolves the issue of whether you should ever time out the level one modes. The answer is NO.

#9 9 years ago

I think this game has been under rated for a while. Now with the new software to take advantage of the amazingly smooth layout and great sound effects, it is finally the full package. SR has already said there will be more to come in the software side of things. A little more tweaking, added lighting effects and obviously some bug fixes and this game will be polished in the way it deserves to be. I have had a lot of people through my game room in the last week and everyone agrees it is a masterpiece at this point. I'll leave comparisons aside for this thread, but it is my favorite DMD of all time now along with ACDC.

#10 9 years ago

Having a blast with this game!!!

I think it's Stern's best right now- an absolutely masterpiece.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

..AND, we have awesome alternate translite and stuff coming.....tick tock... less posting, more printing damn it!

I just checked FedEx tracking, the decal test prints are being delivered tomorrow. If they came out all good then I'll post everything up, will have a price, will open pre-orders, etc. So fingers crossed! I'm trying to get the rule cards done too, but I can finish them up during the pre-order period, I won't let them delay anything. No one is going to be in or out on this one because of the rule cards.

Quoted from Vyzer2:

As to the translight, you know who is first!

Heh, yes sir, you've been first before I even touched a pixel on this one, I remember.

I was thinking last night while playing, that the clearest indication to me that the level 1 modes are fixed is remember how annoying it used to be to get the Black Hole time extended award? It was almost a punishment, here, sit in this pointless mode for longer. Now I'm stoked to get it, that's more time to get the Galactic Away Team shot. It's a complete 180°.

I know it's frustrating that it takes a year for games to get finished code, I certainly am not cheerleading that part of the process, but it feels good to see the potential for this game finally unlocked. The details and strategy that this update added really made a difference. Not to take anything away from Ritchie, especially because I firmly believe his passion and commitment to his games is what gets the code updated later, but it really does show the importance of software to these games, no layout can save a game without the matching code to bring it all together.

#12 9 years ago

I was critical of the Urban call outs at first, but after many games I've gotten used to them as well. I guess they were more jarring at first because all we had were movie clips and then the dedicated call outs sounded different by comparison. The game is better with them for certain.

#13 9 years ago

I loved my St before and love it even more now! Thanks to Stern and Richie for the new code!

#14 9 years ago

khan.jpgkhan.jpg

#15 9 years ago

I edited my thread title after realizing that "rules" kinda made it look like I was talking about the game rules, instead of how awesome the game is.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.95
$ 149.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 25.50
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-with-the-new-code-rules and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.