(Topic ID: 141331)

Star Trek: Who has made it to Enterprise Amok? 5 Year Mission?

By crwjumper

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Have you reached Enterprise Amok or 5 Year Mission?”

• Enterprise Amok. Yeah! 11 votes
    14%
  • 5 Year Mission. Awesome! 3 votes
    4%
  • Nope. Still flailing away. 66 votes
    83%

(80 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
image.jpg
IMG_1958.jpg
IMG_1950.jpg
IMG_1951.jpg
tmp_17859-20151012_210241-1765876543.jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

I've put almost 2,000 games on my Star Trek Premium but still haven't made it to E.A. You have to break 442,000,000 to get a high score #4 on my pin. I've been focused on score, but have decided to go for Enterprise Amok. Have you made it? Has anyone ever made 5 Year Mission using standard rules and set to 3 balls? I've got mine set to give an extra ball at Warp 9.5, 50 million, 100, 150 & 200 million.

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

I've put almost 3,000 games on my Star Trek Premium but still haven't made it to E.A. You have to break 442,000,000 to get a high score #4 on my pin. I've been focused on score, but have decided to go for Enterprise Amok. Have you made it? Has anyone ever made 5 Year Mission using standard rules and set to 3 balls? I've got mine set to give an extra ball at Warp 9.5, 50 million, 100, 150 & 200 million.

I can get to enterprise amok pretty regularly now on a pro on route near me. Five-year mission is just really hard though. Those third level missions are tough because you have to keep restarting them.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

I've put almost 3,000 games on my Star Trek Premium but still haven't made it to E.A. You have to break 442,000,000 to get a high score #4 on my pin. I've been focused on score, but have decided to go for Enterprise Amok. Have you made it? Has anyone ever made 5 Year Mission using standard rules and set to 3 balls? I've got mine set to give an extra ball at Warp 9.5, 50 million, 100, 150 & 200 million.

So an 8 ball game and you haven't made it past the level 2 modes?

#5 8 years ago

Same here. You have to break 400m to put in your initials but no EA. I was within a few shots once but very tough to get to even when earning several extra balls.

#6 8 years ago

I wish. I think it's something you just need to focus on as the only goal to accomplish it.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

So an 8 ball game and you haven't made it past the level 2 modes?

Yeah. I pretty much suck. But I'm still trying!

#8 8 years ago

I'm still trying to reach KM with regularity. My 8 year old has gotten there more regularly than I have recently. In 900 games I think I've reached it maybe six times.

It may be time to soften the rules.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

Yeah. I pretty much suck. But I'm still trying!

Want to get better? Shut off all those extra balls. You have them on escalating achievements, so a good game can become great. However each ball is worth less, so you give them up easier. That many extra balls actually puts you into a psychological prison. Reset yourself to factory, and then start your quest again. The games will seem very short for a bit, but then you will really start concentrating on goals.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

I wish. I think it's something you just need to focus on as the only goal to accomplish it.

I agree. I've been focused on scoring - like making sure that I don't start Kobayashi Maru unless I have double scoring, try to get double scoring again when starting the Vengeance Multiball that does 10%, 20% etc. I'm now going to focus on completing the modes and not on upping my score by timing my warp ramp timing. Wish me luck!

#11 8 years ago

So is there a good rule sheet for ST?

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Want to get better? Shut off all those extra balls. You have them on escalating achievements, so a good game can become great. However each ball is worth less, so you give them up easier. That many extra balls actually puts you into a psychological prison. Reset yourself to factory, and then start your quest again. The games will seem very short for a bit, but then you will really start concentrating on goals.

Not a bad idea. I'll give it a try. Thanks!

#13 8 years ago

I made it to EA just once a little while back. I stopped concentrating on scores and really focused on just getting through the missions. I was pretty obsessed with it for a while, which helped.

My settings are pretty generous with extra balls. I give myself one at 30 million and one at warp 4. I recall also getting an extra ball that game from Vengeance 2.

Anyway, it was the best game I've ever played. I felt invincible. I even thought that 5 year mission would one day be possible. EA was very trippy, and I didn't really get the rules. I was also sweating and really excited so I wasn't doing the best job paying attention. Really fun game. The only problem was I started it at 10pm on a week night and couldn't get to sleep afterwards.

#14 8 years ago

So after seeing this thread this morning - I tired to focus just on EA this morning. I played two games and got to KM both times. My main observations which I think prevent success are:
1. Second tier modes are exponentially harder than the first level. I kept having to restart PD2 in order to get the last shot on the warp ramp.
2. I get lost in that delicious flow of the game - I can't help myself. It's so hard to just catch the ball and gain control when it feels so good to make combos. Both games I wasted my first 2 balls just getting caught up in the flow. I think if I concentrated on not getting lost in the flow I might be able to get to EA.

I might try again tonight and focus on not getting lost in the flow.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

So after seeing this thread this morning - I tired to focus just on EA this morning. I played two games and got to KM both times. My main observations which I think prevent success are:
1. Second tier modes are exponentially harder than the first level. I kept having to restart PD2 in order to get the last shot on the warp ramp.
2. I get lost in that delicious flow of the game - I can't help myself. It's so hard to just catch the ball and gain control when it feels so good to make combos. Both games I wasted my first 2 balls just getting caught up in the flow. I think if I concentrated on not getting lost in the flow I might be able to get to EA.
I might try again tonight and focus on not getting lost in the flow.

Try stacking some of the harder or longer modes with Klingon MB. Nero 2 in particular is long, but every shot counts, so it works particularly well with multiball. PD2 might be a good one to stack with Vengeance MB so you can concentrate on getting that warp shot.

#16 8 years ago

Planning ahead to run certain multiball modes along side certain missions is a strategy I'm starting to appreciate more. Great aspect of the game.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Try stacking some of the harder or longer modes with Klingon MB. Nero 2 in particular is long, but every shot counts, so it works particularly well with multiball. PD2 might be a good one to stack with Vengeance MB so you can concentrate on getting that warp shot.

I'll try this tonight. This is the first time I"ve really been concentrating on getting to EA. I might go thru and try to play a bunch of games and map out the goals of the level 2 modes to see how to most efficiently stack and play them.

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I use to do this but not anymore. I use multiballs for tier 1 modes. Nero 2. I like the flow of Comboing the shots with 1 ball rather than having balls just bouncing everywhere

I do alpha ramp, beta ramp, left orbit. If it's a weak left orbit shot. I hope the ball falls into the pops. If it's a strong shot I try the warp ramp. By then, the shots should reset and I repeat

I use to hate Nero 2 but I love it now

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballophobe:

I use to do this but not anymore. I use multiballs for tier 1 modes. Nero 2. I like the flow of Comboing the shots with 1 ball rather than having balls just bouncing everywhere
I do alpha ramp, beta ramp, left orbit. If it's a weak left orbit shot. I hope the ball falls into the pops. If it's a strong shot I try the warp ramp. By then, the shots should reset and I repeat
I use to hate Nero 2 but I love it now

I do the same pattern. My biggest problem happens when I get 9 warps too early and want to save the 9.1 double scoring until Kob. Maru. I have to then actively avoid warps. 1st world problems . . .

#20 8 years ago

I no longer try to time the warp ramp for KM anymore. I realize I'm not good enough to hit warps when ever I want I have found double scoring really good for pts if u did KB 1-2-3 Nero 1-2-3 then do STE with away mission active. I have scored over 90M on ste with away active alone.

I once had warp 8 with km ready. My score was sitting at 440M on ball 3. Instead of cashing in on KM. I tried for warp 9.1. I made warp 9. Then drained trying to get warp 9.1. I thought I could pull it off because I performed my 1st ever "death save" that game and thought the stars were aligned for me

I know if I pulled it off medals was worth over 100M.

#21 8 years ago

I've been to EA on factory settings/outlanes before I got rid of mine, not FYM though.

EA is the same as the final battle wizard mode on Avatar. Just switch hits to light a jackpot, controlled inserts light up corresponding to percentage of shots made/left, and then you collect the jackpot/add-a-ball shot and do it again.

I like the machine, but it's a bear to get through. Focusing on EA and FYM is too reminiscent of when I had LOTR and focused on Valinor (aka frustrating).

Basically the path to FYM/EA is a mile long army crawl uphill through mud under barbed wire.

#22 8 years ago

Got to EA!! Actually tilted my bonus and missed the vengeance shot for 10% of my score. Is the third vengeance battle always for that point value?tmp_17859-20151012_210241-1765876543.jpgtmp_17859-20151012_210241-1765876543.jpg

#23 8 years ago

Factory settings btw.

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

Got to EA!! Actually tilted my bonus and missed the vengeance shot for 10% of my score. Is the third vengeance battle always for that point value?tmp_17859-20151012_210241-1765876543.jpg

Yes, and you can double it too if you hit it after a combo.

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

Got to EA!! Actually tilted my bonus and missed the vengeance shot for 10% of my score. Is the third vengeance battle always for that point value?tmp_17859-20151012_210241-1765876543.jpg

All right! Way to go!

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

#27 8 years ago

I have never made it to EA and only KM a few times. I guess I need to PLAY BETTER!

Rob

#28 8 years ago

I don't know that I"ll be able to make it to FYM. I had 2 balls left that I kind of drained quickly after getting to EA last night. It was a long game to even get to EA. I'm going to have to work on my endurance as nerdy as that sounds.

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

I don't know that I"ll be able to make it to FYM. I had 2 balls left that I kind of drained quickly after getting to EA last night. It was a long game to even get to EA. I'm going to have to work on my endurance as nerdy as that sounds.

It gets really tough to accomplish all of the level 2 missions without draining. I've gotten within 1 or 2 missions of Enterprise Amok several times but haven't made it. Partially because It's tough and partly because I know I'm getting close and choke. Sigh.

#30 8 years ago

EA - Been there a dozen or so times.
5 year - not quite. Close a couple of times

One thing I'm reading that I think may be part of your challenge is it seems as though everyone is doing all the tier 1 modes, then to Kobi MB and then focusing on tier 2 missions. When I'm going for modes vs score I'll generally do the level 1 modes that correspond to the level 2 modes I struggle with first. I then make sure to get into that level 2 mode right before I start a MB. I actually prefer Klingon MB for PD2 as Klingon MB feeds the right lane which makes the warp shot easier. Vengence MB loops to the left lane. So basically, all my MB's are used playing Tier 2 missions. I stay away from STE2 and KB2 while in MB as those are fairly easy to complete in single ball play. For the most part you can just keep backhanding the left ramp until they are done with the occasional shot to the right ramp.

Also, if you can get to warp 9 quickly don't stop there trying to double your PF at just the right moment. Keep them flowing as at 9.9 you get an add a ball. Having that extra ball in play can help.

For me, the times that I get to EA seems to always be the times that I get to Kobi MB after I've already knocked out 3 or 4 tier 2 modes already. Works out nicely for the extra points as well for your trophies.

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

EA - Been there a dozen or so times.
5 year - not quite. Close a couple of times
One thing I'm reading that I think may be part of your challenge is it seems as though everyone is doing all the tier 1 modes, then to Kobi MB and then focusing on tier 2 missions. When I'm going for modes vs score I'll generally do the level 1 modes that correspond to the level 2 modes I struggle with first. I then make sure to get into that level 2 mode right before I start a MB. I actually prefer Klingon MB for PD2 as Klingon MB feeds the right lane which makes the warp shot easier. Vengence MB loops to the left lane. So basically, all my MB's are used playing Tier 2 missions. I stay away from STE2 and KB2 while in MB as those are fairly easy to complete in single ball play. For the most part you can just keep backhanding the left ramp until they are done with the occasional shot to the right ramp.
Also, if you can get to warp 9 quickly don't stop there trying to double your PF at just the right moment. Keep them flowing as at 9.9 you get an add a ball. Having that extra ball in play can help.
For me, the times that I get to EA seems to always be the times that I get to Kobi MB after I've already knocked out 3 or 4 tier 2 modes already. Works out nicely for the extra points as well for your trophies.

Great ideas! I'm going to try this strategy. Thanks!

2 weeks later
#32 8 years ago

I finally did it! Tonight I made it to Enterprise Amok. And what a game it was. I completed the first 3 missions of the mode. I'm not sure how many there are but I saw "153 switch hits remaining" when it drained. And after only 1,850 games.

IMG_1951.jpgIMG_1951.jpg
IMG_1950.jpgIMG_1950.jpg
IMG_1958.jpgIMG_1958.jpg

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

That's the rub with this game. Its meant to be played fast, furious, and flowy. I play ST all the time and this is the first I'm hearing of EA and 5 year mission. Guess I should read the rules.

#34 8 years ago

I did, easily an hour long game that day but the downside was I lost interest after that and sold my LE. Still damn fun game.

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

I finally did it! Tonight I made it to Enterprise Amok. And what a game it was. I completed the first 3 missions of the mode. I'm not sure how many there are but I saw "153 switch hits remaining" when it drained. And after only 1,850 games.
IMG_1951.jpg
IMG_1950.jpg
IMG_1958.jpg

Congrats!

#36 8 years ago

Crap. I was already on the fence about trading out my LE but all this talk has me leaning towards keeping it longer. I love it but was just thinking about cashing in and maybe 2 lower priced mid tier pins instead. Heck, maybe I should simply keep it. I've never been remotely close to EA.

#37 8 years ago

ive got EA once and have yet to get it again. i would have to be on 5 ball or something to even remotely get to 5 year mission. its ridiculous

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Crap. I was already on the fence about trading out my LE but all this talk has me leaning towards keeping it longer. I love it but was just thinking about cashing in and maybe 2 lower priced mid tier pins instead. Heck, maybe I should simply keep it. I've never been remotely close to EA.

Just keep trying. It's really hard but if you focus on completing the missions and don't lose your balls trying to defeat the Vengeance it's possible.

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from NY2Colorado:

That's the rub with this game. Its meant to be played fast, furious, and flowy. I play ST all the time and this is the first I'm hearing of EA and 5 year mission. Guess I should read the rules.

Is there a link for the rules?

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Is there a link for the rules?

Not exactly a list of rules but an excellent thread to make you a better player.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-strategies-for-the-average-player

#41 8 years ago

I made it to both Enterprise Amok and Five Year Mission tonight on Star Trek on location in NYC on factory settings. I'll be happy to volunteer the game has a very liberal tilt.

Amok was a 2 ball multiball that I totally beefed. I didn't realize it till too late but I think it's a switch hit multiball...I should have just kept sending balls over to the pops.

Five Year Mission was your basic 4 ball multiball, get all the jackpots. I did better on this one.

Final score:
image.jpgimage.jpg

#42 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I made it to both Enterprise Amok and Five Year Mission tonight on Star Trek on location in NYC on factory settings. I'll be happy to volunteer the game has a very liberal tilt.
Amok was a 2 ball multiball that I totally beefed. I didn't realize it till too late but I think it's a switch hit multiball...I should have just kept sending balls over to the pops.
Five Year Mission was your basic 4 ball multiball, get all the jackpots. I did better on this one.
Final score:
image.jpg

Wow. I'm impressed!

#43 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Final score:
image.jpg

#44 8 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

Not exactly a list of rules but an excellent thread to make you a better player.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-strategies-for-the-average-player

Thanks, no one has attempted to write up a rule sheet yet?

Disappointed that Pinball news has not done any updates.

1 month later
#46 8 years ago

I made it to Enterprise Amok again tonight for the second time and got a new G. C. score of 693,208,690! Woo hoo!

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

1 week later
#47 8 years ago

I forgot about this thread...I posted to the Star Trek club that I made Amok for the first time in about 1500 games a few days ago.

It was friggin awesome.

5 months later
#48 7 years ago

I posted this in another thread. But how do u start FYM.

First time I got to it. Completed all 18 missions. All the missions were lit up. Didn't know what to hit to start it.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballophobe:

I posted this in another thread. But how do u start FYM.
First time I got to it. Completed all 18 missions. All the missions were lit up. Didn't know what to hit to start it.

That must have been exceedingly frustrating. But, nevertheless, congrats on a great game!

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

I made it to Enterprise Amok again tonight for the second time and got a new G. C. score of 693,208,690! Woo hoo!

Don't you think you're being about 1,000,000 too generous with yourself?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

arcade-cabinets.com

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-who-has-made-it-to-enterprise-amok-5-year-mission and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.