Screen_Shot_2013-09-22_at_11.14.37_PM..png
Alice-Eve.jpg
star_trek2.jpg
Star_Trek_Lock.jpg
StarTrek-LE-Detail-10.jpg
StarTrek-LE-Detail-08.jpg
aussie.jpg
Nerd-mode-lit.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider GaryMartin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#105 10 years ago

What the heck music was that playing? That didn't sound anything at all like the theme from either recent Star Trek?!?!

#126 10 years ago
Quoted from chocky909:

I'd rather have some music specially made for pinball than using the music direct from the TV show or film. They rarely work well. LOTR and STTNG both have very annoying fanfare style theme tune music that grates very quickly. It's actually the main reason I won't own a STTNG because even though I like the theme tune on the show, it gets old very quickly every time you launch a new ball. I know a few people that agree too. Different music for different media. This is also a problem with music pins in general especially Metallica.
The music on ST sounds great.

I utterly and completely disagree. It is a *THEME* pin and a large part of that theme from a movie is it's soundtrack. You're telling me TRON shouldn't have used Daft Punk's great stuff from that movie?!?!?

You may not like STTNG's music but to me it's one of the major draws of that pin. It brings back the show because it is a great implementation of the THEME!

If the Stern Star Trek doesn't have the music from Star Trek(2009, 2013) then I'm not even going to bother with a Pro version.

Such a freakin dissapointment, this title has been.

#140 10 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Best post ever.
Tell me: what exactly has been such a disappointment? The "feel" of the game, the music?
Cause as of this moment, we don't really know squat about it.
(artwork maybe? I like it, but you could complain about that legitimately I'd say. Marketing and teaser ads? Fine...)

What has been such a disappointment?

1. Rehashed STTNG playfield layout. With all the time SR spent on this title I was expecting something at least a LITTLE new.

2. No actual actor callouts, only soundbites pulled from the movie which almost always has a lot of background noise/sounds in them.

3. Apparently not the orchestrated theme music from the movies.

4. A frankly ridiculous pricetag for Just Another Stern.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I have been waiting for Stern to do this title since the 2009 movie released. Maybe my expectations were too high, but I sure expected a lot more from them with this IP.

#143 10 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

That is a real bummer to hear. You would think they could at least use audio clips straight from the movie. Why would a studio want something released that has sub par actor voices portraying the characters in the movies they are representing? Seems like a bad call to me but what do I know.

Don't they get to use any of the audio out of the movie still? I thought he was talking about how much it cost to get the original actor into a sound studio, to record *custom* callouts?

If that's not the case, what *are* they getting when they pay that big bill for the license?

#150 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Very cool, I never even realized that before.
And man, that music is such a huge part of why I love Tron as much as I do!

Exactly, the whole soundtrack from the last Tron has some really good stuff in it. Check out the CD if you like what's in the Pin.

#219 10 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

+1
The only problem with that album is how painfully short derezzed is. Highest energy song by far and it's less than 3 minutes I believe
The main credits theme is just epic. Same track when your first ball is served up. One disappointment with the Tron pin is the song that plays when the disc is open is a bit blah in my opinion and the disc usually gets opened pretty quick, but often isn't activated for awhile.

I'm right with you on that. I often, intentionally, do NOT hit the three bank, just so I can play the main theme. Used to be that the first phrase was playing at game start, the second phrase would trigger from a left orbit and the third phrase would then trigger from a right orbit.

So I'd try to start each game that way, just to get the song to play.

#221 10 years ago
Quoted from chocky909:

I'm not saying that the music on a pin should be entirely dissimilar to the theme it's based on but the sound designer must be very careful when using a piece of music that was written or designed to be heard just once at the start of a show or written to affect our emotions in a particular way to enhance the story at a particular time. The problem is often that music is unsuitable for a pinball game given that it restarts every time you lose a ball or a mode ends and something that can be very rousing and beautiful on TV or on the big screen can become very annoying.
You mention Tron and yes, some of the music from the film is used in the game but it works because of the kind of music it is. It's interesting that the main theme of Tron Legacy isn't used in the game because it's too distinct and upfront, like the LOTR theme and the STTNG theme which I both like and actually listen to the LOTR soundtrack but hearing the start of it over and over like a stuck record actually spoils it for me. Like those awful bleepy versions of classical music on 90s mobile phones. Context is key. STTNG would be much better of the main theme was kept for the attract mode or the end of the game and perhaps a more suitable variant was used while actually playing the game. Something more like the music that is played during the actual show.
A good example of how many pinball sound designers understanf this is on the game Twilight Zone. If you had a loop of the (awesome) theme tune playing most of the game, it would be awful. It's hard to pinpoint why some music doesn't work in pinball and why some does but I think they made the right choice and they picked a great background tune that doesn't overpower the rest of the game which is important to me. Pinball music needs to be catchy and good to listen to but also be easy to ignore and create a background layer to accompany the game SFX and callouts.

Well we'll just have to agree to disagree. *Listen* to the movie soundtrack title theme that Stern used in the teaser ad. You don't think that theme would have been awesome in this pin?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=JMJ0jRthOpM#t=61

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monument, CO
$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider GaryMartin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-video?tu=GaryMartin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.