View topic image gallery

image.jpg
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0013.JPG
IMG_0014.JPG
jeri_ryan-star-trek-e1291958123501.jpg
th-2.jpeg
th-1.jpeg
There are 308 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 7.
#252 10 years ago

Not quite sure why it's "Klingon multiball" when you're locking it in the Vengance. You'd think it would be "Vengance Multiball" or something alluding to the fact that you're battling the Vengance. *shrug*

#253 10 years ago

To be honest, there's nothing precluding them from just hurriedly photoshopping characters on the playfield, at least for the Pro, which is going to look barren without the projections.

#254 10 years ago
Quoted from FiveSixPyro:

That drop target shot is one evil bastard. That's for sure. Are we sure there's a magnet to toss the ball so if the drop target has to drop it prevents the ball from going sdtm at least half the time? heh
I see it but it doesn't seem to toss anything unless you start it

Dude,

When are you going to get your own slot and show Louie how it's done?

#255 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Well, at least *now* there's something exciting in it!

Come on now this aint no WOZ gameplay thread!!!!

#256 10 years ago
Quoted from Rcade:

Not quite sure why it's "Klingon multiball" when you're locking it in the Vengance. You'd think it would be "Vengance Multiball" or something alluding to the fact that you're battling the Vengance. *shrug*

It seems to me that the Vengeance is pulling double-duty. During Vengeance Mode, it is fighting you, but when not in play, it's just a regular drop target, the space ship does not do anything then.

#257 10 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Meaning: "Stern should have included it, and it's sad that they didn't", or "You can expect to get some so don't buy a sheet for StarTrek"?

I am sorry I wasn't clear. I meant that for the LE price, Stern should include something like PDI glass.

#258 10 years ago

#259 10 years ago

Part 2

#260 10 years ago

Sounds like the audio is from the movies (voices)

#261 10 years ago

Looks and plays like crap.

#262 10 years ago
#263 10 years ago

I wouldn't say plays like crap. I'd say plays exactly like about 10-15 other stern titles. No diversity at all.

I think DMD era of games has come to the point where everything has been done. So everything else that comes out is just a rehash of some other game. EM games did this too, until they invented duel playfields. Then Ramps and ball trails came out. Then habittrails. Changing up playfield designs greatly. But now we've seen all that in every form imaginable. Next level in gaming is p2k style, or P3 or something similar. DMD style is washed and used up. Time for the next level in Pinball.

#264 10 years ago
Quoted from Gorf:

Looks and plays like crap.

How dare you question anything Star Trek or Steve Ritchie! We're trying to sell inflated game and if you keep talking you're going to cost me money(end sarcasm).

Game looks better than most. The pro RGBs are going to help sales and make ops a little happier. That is a win. Unfortunately it was a forced move but that's the point. 2 companies they both step it up. Glad Stern is at least trying to make pro's not seem like half assed game. I wish they did it for MET but we know SR wouldn't let that happen. Good for Stern I say once again for making a pro at least comparable to the more expensive models, but the game itself should be a winner even though the sounds seem... well... blah. I am FAIR PEOPLE! I am fair!

#265 10 years ago

I guess Stern math for 18 modes goes like this: 6modes with 3parts = 18. If that's the case then LOTR had a ton of modes they didn't take credit for.

Looking towards playing a ST PRO in a few days to see if it'll change my opinion on the game or not.

#266 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Time for the next level in Pinball.

bring on the LCD

#267 10 years ago
Quoted from scooter:

bring on the LCD

Funny, I don't care if it has an LCD. I never look up anyway. All the LCD does is look good for everyone else. I'd rather pay a K less and get a color DMD.

#268 10 years ago
Quoted from GravitaR:

I guess Stern math for 18 modes goes like this: 6modes with 3parts = 18. If that's the case then LOTR had a ton of modes they didn't take credit for.
Looking towards playing a ST PRO in a few days to see if it'll change my opinion on the game or not.

Didn't 24 have 24 modes?

#269 10 years ago
Quoted from swf127:

Funny, I don't care if it has an LCD. I never look up anyway. All the LCD does is look good for everyone else. I'd rather pay a K less and get a color DMD.

Then they should save money and go back to a straight digital display and put more money into art and playfield toys.

#270 10 years ago
Quoted from swf127:

I'd rather pay a K less and get a color DMD.

I understand the sentiment but politely disagree. I think the LCD adds significantly to the whole experience, plus it makes things like game setup and troubleshooting that much easier. I imagine that score reels and then alpha-numeric displays also seemed sufficient to many but were eclipsed anyway by the next generation of display. The same thing will surely happen here.

#271 10 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

I understand the sentiment but politely disagree. I think the LCD adds significantly to the whole experience, plus it makes things like game setup and troubleshooting that much easier. I imagine that score reels and then alpha-numeric displays also seemed sufficient to many but were eclipsed anyway by the next generation of display. The same thing will surely happen here.

Exactly. Better maintenance/diagnostics/setup, helps make more sense of deeper rulesets and show progress, looks WAAAAY cooler than low-res monochrome "animations," and, best of all, you can have all sorts of crazy stuff on the display AND ALWAYS be able to see every player's score (which is the main purpose of a pinball display, right?). The DMD fails much of the time with respect to this basic function, sadly.

#272 10 years ago
Quoted from swf127:

I'd rather pay a K less and get a color DMD.

Wait - so not only are you saying that Star Trek's pricing is already $1000 less than it would've been with a color LCD... but you're still giving them wiggle room on top of that to upgrade from DMD to color DMD? $10k by Christmas never seemed to reasonable...

#273 10 years ago

As long as games are selling out Stern won't go LCD. My guess they won't put one out for 3-5 years.

#274 10 years ago

And unfortunately we have no one else to blame but us, the consumer

#275 10 years ago

love how guys that have not even played a pin keep chirping how it sucks and plays exactly like others. Seems like some are intent to trash on pins regardless of whether they have played them or not. Pretty typical for this to happen unfortunately.

#276 10 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

love how guys that have not even played a pin keep chirping how it sucks and plays exactly like others. Seems like some are intent to trash on pins regardless of whether they have played them or not. Pretty typical for this to happen unfortunately.

Yeah, we can GUESS.

But no one KNOWS anything yet. I think once the big reveal at Expo, then we'll know much more.

#277 10 years ago

So what you guys are saying is all the pinheads on here, myself included, should not project every little detail we get from a new release, and we should just be quiet until everyone gets to play?

#278 10 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

Yeah, we can GUESS.
But no one KNOWS anything yet. I think once the big reveal at Expo, then we'll know much more.

A pro player in Aussie said its the best sterns he's ever played. That's gotta count for something.

But this right here below is the reality:

Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

#279 10 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

A pro player in Aussie said its the best sterns he's ever played. That's gotta count for something.
But this right here below is the reality:

Eskay that pro player has Tron LE rated at a 3
Crazy how opinions can very so much on these games. To me ST pro looks very fun and I can't wait to play it!!

#280 10 years ago

So if he has Tron rated at a 3, perhaps when he said "this is the best Stern I've ever played", he's rating this a 4?

#281 10 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

Yeah, we can GUESS.

I suspect there may be another big "reveal" or two at Expo that will blow away anything that ST has to offer.....

#282 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

I suspect there may be another big "reveal" or two at Expo that will blow away anything that ST has to offer.....

Steven,
You dangled the carrot so how about getting us all on the hype tip
What's the word on the street?? image.jpgimage.jpg

#283 10 years ago

Remakes?

#284 10 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Steven,
You dangled the carrot so how about getting us all on the hype tip
What's the word on the street??

Yea; I keep hearing this big 'reveal' thing too. IM calling BS.

#285 10 years ago

Expo is too long away. Tell us now!

#286 10 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Eskay that pro player has TRON LE rated at a 3
Crazy how opinions can very so much on these games. To me ST pro looks very fun and I can't wait to play it!!

While his overall rating seems a bit harsh; he does have some valid points

#287 10 years ago

There is no "secret" kept for expo. it's all in the matrix. but they'll be showing it to most people for the first time there, and we may not see the LEs before then depending on when they ship.

#288 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

I'm thinking Jpop might be one of those

#289 10 years ago

I think he means other surprises not necessarily related to this game.

#290 10 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

I think he means other surprises not necessarily related to this game.

This ^

#291 10 years ago

The big surprise is Stern is changing it's name to Wikistern and Gary is changing his name to Gertrude. He will be showing off his brand new teets.

#292 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Hobbit will have functional GI?

#293 10 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

I understand the sentiment but politely disagree. I think the LCD adds significantly to the whole experience, plus it makes things like game setup and troubleshooting that much easier.

A display ( LCD or DMD ) really only supports game play on the playfiled. I am not counting any video modes becasue its still a pinball machine #1. For game play innovative playfield gadgets & features are what makes a game great to play or total crap.

The LCD panel does have the visual attention draw of something new in a line of pinball machines that otherwise look all the same to a passer by. If the game play is weak I do not see a LCD panel keeping them there putting money in the machine, its whats happening on the PF.

P2K nailed the perfect integration of a video / CRT monitor projected on the PF to actually shoot for scoring switches. Anything short of this is not part of the game being played and more for attracting players instead of challenging them and being integrated.

#294 10 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Hobbit will have functional GI?

Ouch.

#295 10 years ago

Just a color display is not revolutionary to pinball. It's still going to be the same crap with a pretty display. To bring it to the next level, the LCD or hologram or whatever is going to have to be interactive with the ball/game. The playfield layouts are overused. We need refreshing new ideas and new gameplay.

#296 10 years ago

It's time to bury the Dmd, dots schmotz! The Dmd sucks, its time is done and time to move into the 21st century......

I agree with Neo on this, the layouts are rehashed over and over again with no innovation or new ideas. Star Trek is another prime example. Higher prices for the same stuff. I can watch that video and know I've already played that pin. Not gonna fly anymore. Plus the code fiasco is a joke!

You can't put an Lcd in Star Trek, the perfect theme for it?

If you don't demand more as a consumer then you get what you get. This applies to all of them.

#297 10 years ago

An LCD in the dmd area would not have changed how ST plays at all. The ramps and playfield would all be the same.

I'm ready for lcd as well, but lets be realistic about how much it will impact the game beyond higher definition video.

#298 10 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

An LCD in the dmd area would not have changed how ST plays at all. The ramps and playfield would all be the same.
I'm ready for lcd as well, but lets be realistic about how much it will impact the game beyond higher definition video.

I agree, you can't even see the DMD when you're playing. I guess an LCD would make your friends that are watching you play happier?

#299 10 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Hey if you want me to take a dump in a box and throw an LCD on it I will (I've got spare time)

#300 10 years ago

Watching those videos only confirms, for me, that I would only buy a preem, if anything!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monument, CO
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 308 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-video-first-real-one-of-pro-gameplay-guys/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.