View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image.jpg
IMG_20150417_220716_141.jpg
IMG_0119.JPG
image.jpg
image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rob_g.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#32 9 years ago

Ok here's an obvious bug that I am surprised that nobody has noticed. See feature adjustment #34 which is 'Nero 2 Timer'. Nero 2 doesn't have a timer! Or is it supposed to and it doesn't use one? This appears directly related to the inserts going into a fast flicker after a certain period of time. The mission itself isn't running off a timer, but the insert blink rate seems to be. I verified this by setting the timer to 10 and the inserts start to go crazy after about 10 - 15 seconds. Therefore I recommend setting Nero 2 timer to 60 so the inserts don't screw up for as long as possible. I bet this was also related to Nero 2 shots disappearing and not coming back..

There may be other timer adjustments for missions that actually aren't using a timer.

A suggestion to the OP that if you are going to have this thread, it would be nice to keep a list of verified bugs in the first post. This way it's organized and easy to digest instead of wading through countless posts.

Other bugs I noticed:

Missing crew callouts at the end of some missions, Nero 2 for example. (New)
Many crew combo callouts are unintelligible, low volume and almost never play in missions. (Old)

Rob

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

I've had a couple games now where the auto-plunge doesn't always occur after getting GAT. Just played DTD which has Galactic Spinner. It gave me the intro text and hoopla but I had to manually plunge. I thought I'd give it a few seconds but when I saw the timer ticking down I gave up.
If nobody else has seen this then it's possible my shooter lane switch is going bad, so maybe you can chime in if you've ever had it happen.

I think it's probably a bug. I've had the ball fail to autolaunch in 1.60 once already. It's not common, but it does happen. I have a feeling that minor things like this are never going to be fixed.

Rob

#35 9 years ago

Oh one last thing, does anyone think 1.61 is the last version, barring any major bugs or scoring exploits found?

And... do you think timers should have just been removed from tier 2 and 3 missions if they hold progress and don't restart? Or perhaps if the mission restarts, the shot counter goes back to a minimum 3 shots?

Rob

#43 9 years ago

Yup, but there's so much going on that it has to delay. I don't mind it.

Rob

#74 9 years ago
Quoted from erak:

I think I figured this out. At least on my pro machne with the glass off.
The kicking out of the vuk is not a bug. St least I dont think so.
When you are making the shots in a mode one of them starts flashing two colors.
If you hit it. Then hit the next two colored shot. And the next. In combos .Once the mode is completed it automatically starts the next mode if you shoot the vuk. It immediately kicks it out and starts the next mode that was the second color on the insert.
I tried several times and no mode is selectable when doing this. It automatically goes to the next. But if you just hit the single colored inserts. It lets you select the next mission.
I suggest someone else try as well. To confirm this.

This sounds bizarre and if true, I would think it's a bug. I'll try it on my pro in a bit.

Rob

#76 9 years ago

I tested STE2, PD2 and NERO2 and cannot reproduce this. It really sounds like you have a bad opto switch on the playfield.

Rob

#91 9 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I was playing KB1, timed out, had one shot left and tilted. The mode should have been over, but it restarted with 1 second left. This was on 1.6 (I haven't updated to 1.61 yet, but it doesn't look like this was addressed according to the read me).

Setting the timer to 1 is a novel approach, although it does not account for other things happening in that 1 second like black hole being hit and adding time to the timer which I've had happen several times. There's also the possibility of of even starting Away Team in that 1 second. The 1 second actually seems more like 3 or 4 seconds too.

Rob

#92 9 years ago
Quoted from stephflipp:

tested again Vengeance 2
I have definitly sometimes (not every time) a weakness in the right flipper (but it happened three ou four times and never before 1.61 code)...like a micro power cut just after having touched the Vengeance kick back previously.
twice, I lost my ball because of it, boring

Although probably not related, it would be a good idea to check your EOS switches on the flippers.

Rob

#95 9 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Are you saying this was intentional and not a bug?

When you get a gold medal on a tier 1 mission, the timer resets to 1. This is by default but can be changed in the game options.

Is that what you were asking about?

Rob

#98 9 years ago
Quoted from erak:

I noticed this today:
When I stacked klingon multiball with nero 2 Start. i made a bunch of shots, got a bunch of Klingon jackpot callouts. And eventually drained all the balls but one still left in play.
Once it went back to standard nero 2 it said I had 10 shots left on the DMD. then I made a lit nero shot it said 1. Then it went back to 10 on the next lit shot. I made another shot it went back to 1 then I shot the mission start lit shot and it ended nero2 saying it was complete.
Anyone else can confirm?
It clearly jumped from 10 to 1, back to 10 then 1. On the DMD
Also the 10 shots left is impossible as I hit a ton of shots during klingon multiball that were flashing red/purple. I actually thought I had finished nero during klingon MB.

Nero 2 was not entirely fixed in the 1.6x updates. A timer setting was missed in the feature adjustments and that seems to at least affect the behaviour of the insert blinking. Perhaps there are other consequences.

Rob

#121 9 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

So how many times are you supposed to hit the drop target in V3? I hit it probably 6 or 7 times and it would never count. The target would pop up, I'd knock it down, and then I would hit a ramp to setup a combo, and then the target would pop back up. Rinse, repeat until the ball drained and the game ended. I did have one of those squirrelly shots to the drop when the count was at 2 where it kind of got stuck there on the ledge where the target drops. I know there's some type of bug where the game can get confused and I think this caught that bug during my last shot.
This game also has a bug where if you don't finish KB3 and it times out, you go to select KB3 and then it starts PD. That's happened twice.
I also hit the Galactic Away team near the end of the timer for Nero and it gave me the Galactic stuff but then had me select a new mission.
I did pull off the 2x Warp 9.9 scoring going into KM for huge medal points, but since that mode disables so many of your lights, the 2x apron light was also out.

No idea on V3 as I got there only once and scored 25 million. I didn't think of setting it up as a combo shot at the time either, but next time I will.

How are you picking the mission? Are you pressing both flippers or hitting the button? I just played KB1, KB2 and KB3. I let KB3 time out and shot the scoop to restart. I had no issue picking the mission again.

If you hit AT when the timer is expiring, it can tell you that you have GAT, but then it might not give it to you because the '1 more shot' takes precedence. I've had this happen in 1.5 before.

Rob

1 week later
#128 9 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

This question has probably been addressed elsewhere and I'm assuming this is 'as intended' but while I was playing PD2 earlier, I got to a point where no shots were lit. I'd flail around a little and then my Mission Start and GAT shots would finally light. I'd still be on PD2. I lost 2 balls during this situation until finally (and I'm not sure what happened) I got awarded a silver medal.
If I remember correctly I had started Klingon m.b. during my first go at PD2.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Darin

Are you sure the warp ramp wasn't lit? That is easy to miss.

Rob

#149 9 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

I just got my MezelMod, and it's great! One odd thing, there is a small notch towards the bottom of the right side. It would seem this small notch should be on the left side, to help as a gap for the wiring.
Did I get a defective mold?

Sounds like you got the 'Mirror Universe' version.....

Rob

#151 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinbally_1968:

Darn, again I think my STLE isn't doing it correct, it won't let me finish Level II missions in certain circumstances. here is what I remember:
1: completed all Level I missions
2: Started Primd Directeve II
3: 3 shots or so remaining in PDII
4: Started Vengenge Multiball
5: Made a lot of ramp shots, including the PDII ones
6: 2 balls drained, 1 ball in play
7: PDII is still running, saying one shot to finish but not one ramp is lit.
8: With the same ball, several ramps were shot again, but PDII still saying one more shot to finish
9: Drain
10: at ball launch, there is no option to select a mission, instead PDII lites again while away team is lit.
11: to start PDII I first need to activate it by hitting the away-team
12: Hit the away-team, PD-II activated, not one shot is lit
13: Hitting ramps but still no progress on PD-II, it does seem to score thoug..
14: After some time, without making progress in PD-II while hitting ramps over and over, away-team lites again and the story starts all over.
From this point onwards there is no escape from this loop and thus impossible to progress in the game.
Am I really the only one with this ''bug'' or am I missing something in the rules??
This is the same behavior as I reported on 1.50 code. I thought it was fixed
Please advice...

Are you sure the last shot isn't the warp ramp? A lot of people miss that because of where the insert is actually located and that it doesn't light up very well (stock).

Rob

#171 9 years ago
Quoted from indybru:

Not sure if this was the right place to post. My number one question / comment is length of missions you program on levels 2 & 3 and I rarely get there anyway. I did change them to 40 or 50 seconds for reasons I can't explain. Judging from the intelligent responses many of you know way more than me, so I'm wondering if they need to be changed and if they do what time should I adjust too?
thanks

I think mission design after level 1 is mainly inconsistent because of these stupid timers. I like how level 1 missions are a race against the timer to get a gold medal... But now in level 2 and 3 it's just a leisurely pace to finish the mission at your own speed. If the timer runs out, don't worry because you just need to restart with zero penalty. What's the point now of having timers on some missions and not others when it's not about difficulty? It's just more of a nuisance really. Perhaps the timers should just be removed from all level 2 and 3 missions and just have level 3 require more shots to complete. Something like 8 shots for level 2, 12 for level 3..... It's also too bad that the shot maps were not more precise in level 2 and 3. One mission could have been about ramps, another orbit shots, maybe another about a roaming shot, another about making all shots.... These missions just were not designed that well to begin with....

I wouldn't worry about the timers, just leave them stock. Worst case is that you have to shoot the mission start again.

Rob

#172 9 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

During this whole wait for code and following week or 2 when a few people had the 1.6 beta, it was really eating at me that Stern didn't just release it to everyone to Beta test. Then when the code was released, this thread and 5 others like it started filling up with alleged bugs, but more often than not it was a rule misunderstanding or hardware issue, I started to understand Sterns actions a little more. I'm certainly not letting them entirely off the hook, but it does give a good example of why everyone shouldn't be a beta tester.

You're right, the thread gets cluttered with many false bug reports which many can be attributed to switch problems. Plus some people report vague happenings with too much going on and don't bother to try and reproduce the issue to confirm it or not. I have confirmed a few bugs and posted them here, but they get lost in the thread. The biggest bugs I see remaining are the insert blink rates using timers when they should not be on some level 2 and maybe level 3 missions. I know it affects Nero2 and STE2. Plus the missing callout at the end of Nero 2. I'm not sure about the laser on the premium and le models, some say it's still not working right. I only have a pro so I can't test that... Some days I really wish I had the premium though! I still might make the switch, maybe this spring...

Rob

#174 9 years ago
Quoted from RacerRik:

What is the problem being reported with the laser?

No one has confirmed any issue so as far as I know there is none. I shouldn't have mentioned it.

Rob

#177 9 years ago

I was testing to confirm a bug someone else mentioned and much to my dismay noticed that at the end of Nero 3, there's no explosion sound for blowing up Nero's ship.... Yeah there's lots of places where they should have put sound effects to match the dots, but I don't think this stuff will ever get fixed.

Rob

#180 9 years ago
Quoted from pins4life33:

Does anyone know if there is a bug on Nero 3, I completed all modes and just needed Nero 3 to go for 5 yr mission but the mission start would not light for some reason, just curious as it would have been nice to complete it

Try again with the glass off and let us know if you can recreate the problem.

Rob

#184 9 years ago

Playing SJ1 and shot the away team as time was expiring. The DMD showed that galactic vengeance was lit, but the game didn't actually give me the galactic mode. I realize this is not a common bug and it's been around for a while, but it's sure annoying when it happens.

My wishlist of stuff I hope they would fix in the game:

- Fix the level 2 and 3 insert timers for Nero 2, STE2 and any others.
- Finish the dots. There's quite a few dots in level 2 and 3 missions with no sound effects.
- Add more black hole awards....
- Make Away Team do something, anything (even a few points) on level 2 and 3 missions.
- Make timer position more consistent if possible
- Font on bonus countdown, looks like it is shifting down a row of dots
- Away Team shot on timer expiry so it doesn't say one thing and then do another.
- Missing callouts for end of a few missions... Nero 2 comes to mind, not sure about others.

Rob

1 week later
#187 9 years ago

Here's a new one: I started a game with PD1 and with 4 seconds left I shot AT (lit). It did not award GAT and simply auto launched the ball back into play. The switch below the flipper is fine so I'm not sure how this happened. Shrugs...

Rob

2 weeks later
#210 8 years ago

A few things about the latest code:

The new lighting effect for making a shot really interferes with seeing what the next shot is going to be. I like the effect, but it should probably leave the multicolour inserts alone. It blinks them white.

Some level 1 missions seem to use the insert blink timer and others do not. They all should be using it because they all run on a timer. DTD1 uses the insert blink timer for example.

Klingon multiball start always uses the same callout. Didn't it use to say "Klingon Multiball!" before 1.5? I think that callout should still be used, maybe alternating with others.

Rob

#216 8 years ago

Is this where one of the Starfleet logo shots alternates colors with no other stacked mode running? What is it's purpose?

The alternating insert is double score on level 1 missions. On level 2 and 3 it's required for the medals. I don't know if it scores single or double.

If you play DTD1, watch the inserts blink faster as the timer nears expiry. Then play some of the other level 1 missions and this doesn't happen. There's also issues with the blink timer being used on Nero 2, STE2 and those missions don't have timers. So you get really fast flickering inserts after about 40 seconds.

Also, the medals award lighting is distracting, especially if it's happening when you're about to concentrate on making a shot.

I don't mind this as much. The medal award presentation actually seems low priority and I never saw it as distracting. I found that if I keep making shots, it waits to show the medal award.

Rob

#218 8 years ago

That's nice....as long as you're hitting shots! Just some small changes in the lighting would solve the problem.

To quote Steve Ritchie on ACDC, 'Play Better!'

Rob

2 months later
#249 8 years ago

Captains Chair doesn't mean much. It essentially means you've achieved on of the bonus scoring features for completing three in a row. I'll bet at one time, when the playfield was designed, they were intending it to be something else, but it didn't pan out in the code.

I believe you are correct. If you read the flyer, it describes Captains Chair as being lit for one of 3 main wizard modes. Then they had to go silkscreen the '3 in a row lights captains chair' on the playfield which was a bad idea IMHO.

Rob

#250 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballophobe:

Anyone notice. SJ1 during V1. If u launch the away mission and on victory laps. The middle insert in blinking yellow/blue. U hit it. Ball kicks hard back at u. But the SJ shot is still blinking.

There's a few noticeable bugs in ST, not to mention a lack of polish on the dots and rules. I think people are just tired of Stern's methodology and just don't care as much any more....

Rob

#251 8 years ago

duplicate

1 month later
#253 8 years ago

Found another one
2 player game
Did KB 1-2-3
Then Nero 1-2-3
Started Nero 2 with the left side VUK. But it was also ball 3 lock as so started Klingon multiball as well
Hit the warp ramp 9.1 for 2x scoring.
Nailed a whole bunch ramps in MB
Eventually drained MB so it returned to just Nero 2
The dmd showed "10 hits" remaining. I shot the lit ramps and the counter never counted down. Hit about 3 lit ramps and the mode finished
The game kept an internal shot count but the display didn't show the shot count remaining.

This is one game that I think will always have bugs. There just seems to be too much discontinuity in the programming and it took so long to get where it is at now. Still waiting for the next update though!

Rob

#258 8 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

Is there a 1.60 program???

1.60 had a major fault and was quickly replaced with 1.61. Even with the bugs you would not want to go back to an older version because you would lose the medals.

Rob

#259 8 years ago

Started Nero 2 with the left side VUK. But it was also ball 3 lock as so started Klingon multiball as well
Hit the warp ramp 9.1 for 2x scoring.
Nailed a whole bunch ramps in MB
Eventually drained MB so it returned to just Nero 2
The dmd showed "10 hits" remaining. I shot the lit ramps and the counter never counted down. Hit about 3 lit ramps and the mode finished
The game kept an internal shot count but the display didn't show the shot count remaining.

It's probably related to the timer bug in some of the missions. Nero 2 and some other missions have a timer running which affects the blink rate of the lit shots. However, these are not timed missions! When the non-visible timer runs out, the inserts are left in a fast flicker state. There's even a setting in the game options for the Nero 2 timer. It could also be contributing to the issue you see. This is one of the biggest bugs left in the game I think.

Rob

1 month later
#264 8 years ago

It's been 6 months since the last update. SR promised this broken code would be fixed and so far I would say that has not been the case. It was improved, but still lacks polish and some needed bug fixes. Oh and more Black Hole awards would be nice!

Rob

#267 8 years ago

#268 8 years ago

Actually the bug ruined the current game. Even on the next ball I could not finish DTD2 with making any shot - ramp, orbit or drop target.

Rob

#270 8 years ago

#272 8 years ago
Quoted from tatanka1961:

That's why it's important to contact them directly.
I'm sure if it's a serious issue they will fix it (sooner or later)...

I got a response from Dwight. I don't think he is aware of the remaining issues in ST and suggested writing [email protected].

Rob

#274 8 years ago

#276 8 years ago

Again, 1.6/1.6.1 was the update Steve was referring too. You're describing a few odd bugs that can be taken care of in a polish.

Of course they can be taken care. The question is of course - will they?

I checked DTD2 some more and realize now that the solid lit shots don't do anything. It's the blinking ones, the ones you have not made which you need to shoot.

Rob

#280 8 years ago

Hit a major bug on Nero 2
2 player game
I hit 5 targets then drained
On ball 2 The targets were lit. I soft plunged for the skill shot It hit the right loop switch. Then came down to the upper flipper. Then all the lit targets turned off.
I thought maybe if I made the shots. It would register but nothing. I hit all 3 areas and even started Klingon multiball and hit a whole bunch of targets. After multi ball the targets stayed unlit.
I drained and went to ball 3 same thing.
I held the ball and took a pic
I even hit the warp hole a bunch of times and nothing
image.jpg

I would recommend sending an email to [email protected] and describe the problem in detail. Let them know it's a major bug too. I already sent them email about the other bugs like the nero 2 phantom timer (involves 1 or 2 other missions as well). It could be part of the same problem.

Rob

#282 8 years ago

I'm going to do that now Thanks

The thing is though, they don't respond so you have no idea if anyone reads the email or even cares.

Rob

2 years later
#325 6 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Star Trek was such a good seller, I think it is a good VE prospect just like AC/DC, and maybe then we'll finally get a code refresh.

I don't think it's a good VE candidate. There's just so much wrong with the code from bugs to lack of polish that I don't see anyone wanting to buy a known mess of a game. Plus I see absolutely no demand for this game. Not like there was for Iron Man for example.

Rob

#328 6 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

Maybe we should get together some definitive list then?
I just read through this whole thread and it's mostly filled with non issues.
The only thing I actually saw in this thread was some issues with Nero 2 lighting. Seems more pro centric.
There's the video out there of KME breaking the game by going 3 deep and getting to 5Y. While terrible, likely not to effect many people.
I think there's a way to skip EA. Seems like it's probably related to the above issue as well.
My super minor pet peeve that the callout for completing all 3 missions says 3 in a row while the display reads 3 in a column. So basically a non issue.
PD2 and PD3 being identical is lazy but again not technically a bug.
That's really all I can think of. What you got?

Nero 2 and at least 1 other mission (maybe 2 other) have a bug where the insert blink rate is attached to a timer, but the missions don't run off a timer. End result is the mission shot inserts eventually become a fast flicker. There is a nero 2 timer setting which lets you change the timer, but the mission doesn't actually use a timer.

Pops award 200,000 doesn't work

Lack of Black Hole Awards

Lack of any sound effects for some missions dots.

Crew member callouts which do.... nothing - and I don't think can be earned in a mission.

There's more bugs in the old bugs thread... I sold my game long ago.

Rob

1 month later
#337 5 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

pretty sure they blink faster as you run out of time to make the combos then they reset...
cause you can hit one of each of the 3 pairs of shots (left lock/left orbit, left ramp/vengeance, right ramp/right orbit) and on the final one you get a bonus jackpot...
never ever have had the GAT switch not register with my pro fwiw

Nope, that's not it. The inserts blink faster until they just flicker. There is the Nero 2 timer in the game settings and Nero 2 not actually using a timer. Increasing the timer delays the blink speedup. I think klingon mission 3(?) has the same issue.

Quoted from HighVoltage:

And here it is, really just a re-run, as there are no changes, but this improves chances they'll revisit the code.
https://www.facebook.com/sternpinball/posts/10156524711514244

They should because there's enough bugs left in this game still...

Rob

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monument, CO
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

arcade-cabinets.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 24.95
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rob_g.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-v161-bugs?tu=rob_g and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.