View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image.jpg
IMG_20150417_220716_141.jpg
IMG_0119.JPG
image.jpg
image.jpg
There are 352 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 8.
#1 9 years ago

Just played 2 games back to back on this
I finished KB1 by finishing the mode by the VUK. Since that selects a mission as well. it automatically started PD1. My hands were off the flippers and auto fire because I was cleaning the glass since I would normally have a few seconds to select my mission

I thought this was no big deal until it happened again with KB3. I finished the mode by shooting the ball into the VUK. It auto selected and started PD1

#2 9 years ago

I'm not sure but I think I noticed the same thing last night. Several times modes were started without myself knowing it. Maybe I hit the button but don't recall having something like that happen in 1.5. Usually the ball sits there for quite a while and it takes a few seconds to get to the point where you can select the next mode. Not a big deal for me, though. The goal is to work through all the modes and I don't play with a strict strategy.

#3 9 years ago

Same thing here. I paused to get a drink and off she went.

#4 9 years ago

I thought I saw a select timer now in the options menu to timeout mission selection. I think it was off by default but you might want to verify that it is off since it is a simple check. It might just be for autofire the plunger but I could see it affecting the VUK for mission selection for games on route.

--Kevin

#5 9 years ago

Me too, automatically selected the next mission in the left ball lock/vuk. After it was lit as the final shot for KB1. And kicked it out into play. PD 1 mode was started.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from flecom:

ya scoring was going crazy too while doing nothing
ball/modes automatically launch... I have timed plunger and flipper button plunger turned off
I will be downgrading to 1.6
1.61 is seriously broken!!

I can't reproduce this nor is it being commonly reported. Perhaps you have intermittent switch issues rather than code bugs. If a switch is machine gunning the machine would do all the above.

#9 9 years ago
#10 9 years ago

turn the coil pulse to soft

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from flecom:

nope, all my switches are working fine, first thing I checked
ball launches as soon as you hit start
game worked fine with 1.6

Well others don't have this problem so it's not a code bug. Take code bug out of the equation and what are you left with?

#12 9 years ago
#13 9 years ago

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from flecom:

wow, your quite the jerk eh?
the first four posts in this thread had similar issues??
how are they not "others"?

Yours has scoring which means a switch is activating multiple times. There's are selecting missions on them which could be code. You may have multiple issues due to the scoring parts. Markmon is probably right.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from flecom:

wow, your quite the jerk eh?
the first four posts in this thread had similar issues??
how are they not "others"?

I was going to explain this but you were already pwned by 85vett. I guess some people just don't like to be told the truth if it's something they don't want to hear . Meanwhile, others can enjoy their working machines.

#16 9 years ago

No harm in downgrading code to sort out issues. I don't think 1.61 changed much - mostly fixed lv3 modes. The 1.60 update did change a lot and did fix some opto/switch issues people were having. I had an issue in 1.5 where flipper hits were tripping the bottom vengeance opto during a ball lock. The update seems to have fixed that. I played a handful of games last night and had no issues. You should get a video of the problem. If it's a bug we should document it in hopes of getting it fixed. That's how we got the 1.61 update.

#17 9 years ago

Software is software. Either it happens to everyone, or there's a physical component. The auto starting mission thing isn't new, it's happened in the past. Always a switch problem. The new code may be more sensitive, so a borderline switch has turned into an active problem.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Software is software. Either it happens to everyone, or there's a physical component. The auto starting mission thing isn't new, it's happened in the past. Always a switch problem. The new code may be more sensitive, so a borderline switch has turned into an active problem.

I have never experienced auto launch mission with the VUK on KB until v1.61. And then to experience it in back to back games last night on v1.61.

If happens fast. The moment I shoot the ball into the VUK to end the KB. I hear "the base is the other way" and the ball shoots out. The dmd shows bones and Kirk running thru the jungle. There is no voice saying "select a mission"

#19 9 years ago

Kickback seems weaker....

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballophobe:

I have never experienced auto launch mission with the VUK on KB until v1.61. And then to experience it in back to back games last night on v1.61.
If happens fast. The moment I shoot the ball into the VUK to end the KB. I hear "the base is the other way" and the ball shoots out. The dmd shows bones and Kirk running thru the jungle. There is no voice saying "select a mission"

Yes, but if it was a true software bug we'd all see it. Meanwhile people have had the exact same issue as that already, in older code. Was a switch problem.

Things can manifest during software updates, but it doesn't mean they're software bugs per se.

If it's software can you duplicate it every time with a particular order of things? Then other people could try it too.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Yes, but if it was a true software bug we'd all see it. Meanwhile people have had the exact same issue as that already, in older code. Was a switch problem.
Things can manifest during software updates, but it doesn't mean they're software bugs per se.
If it's software can you duplicate it every time with a particular order of things? Then other people could try it too.

I agree with Aurich on this, though I admittedly haven't pllayed 1.61 much yet. I did have issues with auto mission selecting and auto firing before but this was in old old code and turned out to be a switch. I forgot which one, I want to say it was my warp opto or vengeance opto. But it was over a year ago so don't remember. Sorry can't be much more help besides that.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I write code for a living so I understand the nature of a physical error vs a coding glinch

I don't have a photographic memory so I cannot relay the exact conditions. Only some of the conditions. Particularly the similar ones like during Kb and finishing the mission with VUK shot.

If I had a video or a still screen shot of all the playfield. Then I can pinpoint the similarities further like if it was on ball 2 and the extra ball was lit or if ball locks are lit and then duplicate the conditions to see if it happens again

If It were a switch. It would happen more randomly ex ball 3 lock. KM would start ASAP or other last shot mission ball in VUK. This isn't happening while the machine is going crazy with the vengence shaking or where 3 balls are being hit all over the place causing vibration or I'm beating on the flippers.

#23 9 years ago

I played 1,61 code all the day and I don't have this issue with my vuk on my LE
No bug for me

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballophobe:

If It were a switch. It would happen more randomly ex ball 3 lock. KM would start ASAP or other last shot mission ball in VUK. This isn't happening while the machine is going crazy with the vengence shaking or where 3 balls are being hit all over the place causing vibration or I'm beating on the flippers.

And yet, look above, it was his opto. This is something we've seen before, it's not a software bug. Or at least not a pure software bug, maybe the new code is more sensitive to optos for instance.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

And yet, look above, it was his opto. This is something we've seen before, it's not a software bug. Or at least not a pure software bug, maybe the new code is more sensitive to optos for instance.

Flocom issue is not the same as the 3 of us. His issue is scoring points while hitting his flippers. Which can be explained from the vibration from coils which causes the "eyes" of the optos to go out of an alignment so it would think a ball passed thru to break the beam

Hence why I said when the mission auto selected. I said nothing was going on.

I should ask for the 2 others that experience the same problem as myself only after hitting the VUK to complete the mission. Did u guys have this issue before and does/has this occur anytime else

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from flecom:

that doesn't mean you have to be such a jerk about it, first rule in pinside is be nice, you could have said the same thing without being a jerk
ANYWAY problem was an opto, worked fine in switch test but whenever a coil would fire it would trigger intermittently... replaced opto and it seems to work fine now
so if anyone is having similar issues try testing your optos and hitting the flippers repeatedly seeing if you see them trigger slightly
strangely 1.6 didn't seem to care where as 1.61 did

I spent my time explaining it wasn't a code problem and told you to eliminate software and see what else it would be. That wasn't being a jerk. I was being nice. Then you came back insulting me and calling me names. I cannot deal with thick headed people. But to also be wrong about it and so thick headed over it. Geez man. Really unbelievable

#29 9 years ago

are you being serious? I honestly can't tell

#30 9 years ago

Flecom - I'm not saying this to protect Markmon but I honestly didn't see any hostility from his post thus why i even posted in the first place. I really think your frustration about your game skewed your perception of what was said and how it was interpreted. Happens to the best of us (heck I think I did the same to him too on a different update for a different game). Glad you got it fixed and hopefully the other posters issues are simple fixes once discovered too.

pinballophobe - yours may be a hidden bug but I also wouldn't be surprised if you are having an intermediate switch issue to. I'm sure we'll find out soon if more have the issue. This reminds me of some BOP 2.0 issues. Several of us swore of a bug and it turned out to be just how the switch was reading in the new code that caused some flaky switch to start to cause issues.

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from flecom:

are you being serious? I honestly can't tell

Yes. Totally serious.

#32 9 years ago

Ok here's an obvious bug that I am surprised that nobody has noticed. See feature adjustment #34 which is 'Nero 2 Timer'. Nero 2 doesn't have a timer! Or is it supposed to and it doesn't use one? This appears directly related to the inserts going into a fast flicker after a certain period of time. The mission itself isn't running off a timer, but the insert blink rate seems to be. I verified this by setting the timer to 10 and the inserts start to go crazy after about 10 - 15 seconds. Therefore I recommend setting Nero 2 timer to 60 so the inserts don't screw up for as long as possible. I bet this was also related to Nero 2 shots disappearing and not coming back..

There may be other timer adjustments for missions that actually aren't using a timer.

A suggestion to the OP that if you are going to have this thread, it would be nice to keep a list of verified bugs in the first post. This way it's organized and easy to digest instead of wading through countless posts.

Other bugs I noticed:

Missing crew callouts at the end of some missions, Nero 2 for example. (New)
Many crew combo callouts are unintelligible, low volume and almost never play in missions. (Old)

Rob

#33 9 years ago

I've had a couple games now where the auto-plunge doesn't always occur after getting GAT. Just played DTD which has Galactic Spinner. It gave me the intro text and hoopla but I had to manually plunge. I thought I'd give it a few seconds but when I saw the timer ticking down I gave up.

If nobody else has seen this then it's possible my shooter lane switch is going bad, so maybe you can chime in if you've ever had it happen.

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

I've had a couple games now where the auto-plunge doesn't always occur after getting GAT. Just played DTD which has Galactic Spinner. It gave me the intro text and hoopla but I had to manually plunge. I thought I'd give it a few seconds but when I saw the timer ticking down I gave up.
If nobody else has seen this then it's possible my shooter lane switch is going bad, so maybe you can chime in if you've ever had it happen.

I think it's probably a bug. I've had the ball fail to autolaunch in 1.60 once already. It's not common, but it does happen. I have a feeling that minor things like this are never going to be fixed.

Rob

#35 9 years ago

Oh one last thing, does anyone think 1.61 is the last version, barring any major bugs or scoring exploits found?

And... do you think timers should have just been removed from tier 2 and 3 missions if they hold progress and don't restart? Or perhaps if the mission restarts, the shot counter goes back to a minimum 3 shots?

Rob

#36 9 years ago

I played many games tonight and didn't have any launching problems. I did see one hiccup where vengeance battle was started even though the game failed to trap the ball behind the drop target. Other than that, everything played great. I defeated the vengeance and got a nice 20+ million award. That was cool. Love the new code!

#37 9 years ago

Not sure if this is a bug, because I dont know the exact circumstances. But this is what I figured happened so far. was playing Nero 2. After finishing KM wiz mode.

Started klingon multiball during nero2. While the klingon ships came on the DMD it was still playing nero phaser shots in the background.(was actually cool sounding)

I was playing both nero 2 and klingon multiball. I got the gold medal for nero 2 callout and thought the mode was finished. As no inserts were flashing or lighting purple/red like when I started.
I got down to one ball left (klingon multiball was over, no more red inserts) and no purple inserts were lit, but nero was still running on the DMD. And no mission start or away team lit to pick next mode. I eventually drained and then The nero insert was lit solid it was registering finished. I was able to then shoot the mission start shot and pick the next mission.

Do you think bug or possibly something else?

I have also had vengence multiball start 3 times so far out of maybe 20 games without the ball on the magnet.
It just went in the vengence, came out. And another ball went into the shooter lane like normal. But the initial ball didnt stick to the magnet.

I can't ever recall it happening before the update.

Also I started the vengence hurry up.
Shot the drop. But then it reset cuz I missed. I did this 4-5 times, missed my next shot each time, it reset like its supposed to. Then everytime I hit the drop after that it didnt drop. 3 times in a row. It still said shoot the drop on the DMD. But it would not go down.

After draining and starting regular play every shot at the drop worked like its supposed to

#38 9 years ago

On Nero 2 issues, has everyone verified that it's not just expecting you to shoot the upper ramp shot only? If I remember right, it seemed like all the lights were out but the purple upper ramp is a bit hard to see lit.

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

On Nero 2 issues, has everyone verified that it's not just expecting you to shoot the upper ramp shot only? If I remember right, it seemed like all the lights were out but the purple upper ramp is a bit hard to see lit.

Im pretty sure as once I drained Nero 2 was considered complete. I was also awarded the gold medal for nero 2. Before that nero was still on the DMD but nothing was lit. Even mission start was out.

As soon as I drained and my bonus was added nero 2 lit solid and mission start lit up with the ball in the shooter lane.

If the mode is not finished mission start could have still lit up. And let me pick it again. But nero 2 lit solid. And I could then pick nero 3.

#40 9 years ago

A gold medal does not mark the end of the mode as far as I know.

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Possibly but still, once I drained, nero 2 was considered finished.
I should have been able to select it again if it was incomplete. Not been able to then pick nero 3.
And mission start was then lit. If it was finished mission start should have been lit before draining.

It only happend after stacking it with Klingon multiball.

What are the circumstances where what happened makes sence in the rules?

#42 9 years ago

Does anyone else think there is a delay between shooting the needed shot to achieve a medal and the animation and sound? It seems like I make the 3rd (or 6th or 9th) shot during a mode and maybe 5 seconds later I see/hear the award, which sometimes makes me wonder "what triggered that?", since the ball is then in a different area (like the pops).

#43 9 years ago

Yup, but there's so much going on that it has to delay. I don't mind it.

Rob

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

As far as i registered a gold medal sets the mode timer to 1

#45 9 years ago

As far as issues like auto launch etc, down grade back to version 1.50 (I think it was).
Play it a bunch of times. Does it still auto launch?

I realize upgrading / downgrading takes some time, but its the only way you can tell if its a software issue or something else.

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from sto:

As far as i registered a gold medal sets the mode timer to 1

I have a question about this. I have this setting set on but it can be set to off so that a gold medal will not end the mission. I'm still figuring out scoring with the new code and have yet to make it to KM (so close last night but drained first so no cash-in on my medals...ugh!).

From a scoring perspective, is it better to leave this setting on so that a gold medal ends the mission? Thanks.

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

I have a question about this. I have this setting set on but it can be set to off so that a gold medal will not end the mission. I'm still figuring out scoring with the new code and have yet to make it to KM (so close last night but drained first so no cash-in on my medals...ugh!).
From a scoring perspective, is it better to leave this setting on so that a gold medal ends the mission? Thanks.

The longer the mode is running, the more points you can make. So from this perspective it's better to set it to off.
BUT...the longer the mode is running, the higher is the chance to loose the ball and loose the big cash-in on the wizard modes...

#48 9 years ago

That was kind of my thinking. I'll leave mine to on as me getting to KM at all is quite the feat! (only done it maybe 4-5 times at most)

#49 9 years ago

So, overall, is it worth making a change to 1.61 or just leave it at 1.60 for now?

#50 9 years ago

You can leave it but I see no reason to. 1.61 fixes bugs in 1.60 and it's easy to install.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Marshfield, MO
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monument, CO
$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

arcade-cabinets.com

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
There are 352 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-v161-bugs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.